Gen 3 Subpassing Jolteon

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is the shitass team I've been using over half a year that somehow does decent. I guess I feel if I post my teams, I might find motivation to build new ones.

Jolteon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 196 HP / 60 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

Normally I don't use max speed for this. I use just enough to get over Sceptile/Alakazam/Dugtrio. However, this team is a bit Aerodactyl vulnerable, so I should at least give it a shot at a speed tie. Extra HP on subs works surprisingly well.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 40 SAtk / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Roar
- Surf

Standard stuff.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Def / 12 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Rest
- Roar
- Spikes

Standard stuff.

Gengar (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 48 HP / 184 Atk / 96 SAtk / 180 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Explosion
- Focus Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunderbolt

Two combinations come into play here. First there's the benefit of getting subpasses from Jolteon. Common switch ins to Jolteon are Snorlax and Blissey, who will likely use Body Slam/Return and Seismic Toss respectively (though in the case of the former, I'm more likely to push over to Skarmory). From there I can get a free Focus Punch and cause a particular amount of havoc if they have to switch. The second part is one of my favorite combinations in getting rid of things: Explosion + Dugtrio. In the clutch, it's worth going boom on a Tyranitar if it gives Dugtrio a safe means to come in and finish it off.

Dugtrio (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide

I honestly don't like SDef-less Dugtrio, but I can handle Raikou without it.

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 136 Atk / 56 Def / 32 SAtk / 124 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Selfdestruct

Dugtrio's not going to be able to just switch in and KO Raikou when it can put up a sub and KO me first. Snorlax helps with this and provides another clutch factor with Selfdestruct. If Skarmory/Jolteon aren't around for the job, I can bomb Gyarados with it, and provides some insurance vs DDSalamence if it's still at high health. Selfdestruct + Dugtrio works well too.

This team's main niche is throwing the opponent off balance early with Jolteon + Gengar/Skarmory. After that, it doesn't have the options to run a hard offense, but it's got enough holes that it's only solid, defensive-wise. It relies a lot on sacrifice and hoping Skarm gets up at least 2 layers of Spikes to do its job, which I suppose suits the way I play well enough.

It all looks good, but I don't think you need Suicune to have roar, as it already has great defense covered. I'd recommend switching that with Ice beam.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd love to have Ice Beam but the only use I'd have for it is vs Salamence/Dragonite (Celebi is generally covered). Roar helps me shut down opposing Suicune and other CMers without having to blow up Snorlax or Gengar and let's me abuse the Spikes that Skarmory sets up.

Edit: Are there any suggestions for changes outside of Suicune that would allow me to use Ice Beam without losing out to other Suicunes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)