Sudowoodo (Analysis) [QC 3/3] [GP 3/3]

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dammit! I capitalized Special Attack later on...does that count?

But yeah, make sure that's capitalized...

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
Wait gato's changes aren't

What is this

Please disregard capitalizing of evs in the second set

NOW, going through from the beginning...

You didn't change anything in Fighting so why is it highlighted
It is 100 base attack because some GP member said so. I think it was an Australian
'it' is used to describe sudowoodo so why are we switching to 'him' halfway through the check
Analysis didn't say anything about special attackers, only special attacks. Thus, I assume that we should be keeping it as special attacks and not changing to special attackers because of mixed stuff
'rock head is THE chosen ability', or 'rock head is chosen' since there's nothing wrong with that and adding superfluous words makes me cringe
'The very' is very useless and convolutes the sentence
I thought 'you' referred to the battler (hah I read stuff) and not the Pokemon, and here it should be setting up on the Pokemon
final special attack should not be capitalized

Please undo these changes or berate me.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait gato's changes aren't

What is this

Please disregard capitalizing of evs in the second set

NOW, going through from the beginning...

You didn't change anything in Fighting so why is it highlighted
It is 100 base attack because some GP member said so. I think it was an Australian
'it' is used to describe sudowoodo so why are we switching to 'him' halfway through the check
Analysis didn't say anything about special attackers, only special attacks. Thus, I assume that we should be keeping it as special attacks and not changing to special attackers because of mixed stuff
'rock head is THE chosen ability', or 'rock head is chosen' since there's nothing wrong with that and adding superfluous words makes me cringe
'The very' is very useless and convolutes the sentence
I thought 'you' referred to the battler (hah I read stuff) and not the Pokemon, and here it should be setting up on the Pokemon
final special attack should not be capitalized

Please undo these changes or berate me.
There was a hyphen after fighting when I first checked it
I believe that in the official grammar post, base is always before the number
Yes, why are we switching between him and it
I thought that that sentence meant that you must be careful when taking a special attack, which would occur when you face a special attacker
everyone constantly tells me that stats are capitalized.

I don't know what to believe; disregard my check

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
There was a hyphen after fighting when I first checked it
-Last edited by Orcinus Duo; Jan 3rd, 2012 at 10:11:00 PM.
- Jan 4th, 2012, 5:22:54 AM

I believe that in the official grammar post, base is always before the number
-gdi Australians

Yes, why are we switching between him and it
-allowing him to endure even the
-ask yourself

I thought that that sentence meant that you must be careful when taking a special attack, which would occur when you face a special attacker
-misleading. For example, Mienshao in OU is not a special attacker, but carries a pretty strong hp ice. Be careful of special attacks, regardless of the attacker. Also, walls.

everyone constantly tells me that stats are capitalized.
-that wasn't a stat

I don't know what to believe; disregard my check

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to work on top of both Orcinus and Gato's checks. Bean1706, please implement Gato's check AND mine.

[Overview]

<p>(Remove break, it should be <p>Sudowoodo, like ...)
Sudowoodo, like other Rock-type Pokemon, has high base Attack and Defence Defense. Unfortunately, its pure Rock typing makes the Imitation Pokemon weak to common attacking types such as Grass, Water, and Fighting, and is therefore often shunned in favour of a Pokemon with a secondary type. However, Sudowoodo does have one trick up its sleeve which sets it apart from other Rock-types: Wood Hammer. While other rock Rock-type Pokemon would flee from Water- and Ground-types, Sudowoodo can fight back, dealing many surprise KOs to the unsuspecting. Sudowoodo can also take on the role of a support Pokemon laying Stealth Rock and sponging hits from the common Braviary and Swellow. However, aside from that niche, Sudowoodo doesn't have anything over other Rock-types so always keep that in mind when including him it on your team.
(Remove break)</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Wood Hammer
move 4: Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Rock Head
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>(Remove break)
With a respectable Defense stat, Sudowoodo can take on the role of a supporter for your team. Setting up Stealth Rock stops the repeated switching in of common threats while breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash on opposing Pokemon. STAB Stone Edge hits surprisingly hard from 100 base Attack, and is its main way of applying dealing damage to foes. The inclusion of Wood Hammer allows Sudowoodo to hit Water- and Ground-types hard, whereas other similar Rock-types would be walled. Finally, Toxic is there to cripple opposing walls who think they've got you it beaten.
(Remove break)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> (Remove break)
Leftovers are necessary on this set due to Sudowoodo's lack of recovery. The given EVs and nature maximize Sudowoodo's (< Apostrophe) Defense, allowing it ("it" is correct here) to endure even the hardest of physical hits. However, Sudowoodo's (< Apostrophe) Special Defense makes it very vulnerable, so one must take care with special attacks. Rock Head also increases Sudowoodo's (< Apostrophe) survivability by negating Wood Hammer recoil, making it the primary option for the ability. Sturdy could be used but in that case, Earthquake is recommended over Wood Hammer as the recoil damage would break Sturdy.
(Remove break)</p>

(Remove this extra space)

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Stone Edge
move 2: Wood Hammer
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
^ evs is not capitalized here.

[SET COMMENTS]
(Space)
<p>(Remove break)
Thanks to a decent 100 base Attack and a good movepool, Sudowoodo can take on the role of a physical attacker. Once again, Stone Edge acts as STAB and, thanks to the investments, allows Sudowoodo to heavily dent foes. Earthquake is used with this to form the infamous EdgeQuake combination, allowing Sudowoodo to hit most Pokemon at least neutrally. Wood Hammer enables the decimation of Water- and Ground-types, and being Sudowoodo's (< Apostrophe) niche, the move should always be present. Due to an abysmal Speed stat, Sucker Punch is used in the final move slot to outspeed and kill weakened foes.
(Remove break)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
(Space)
<p>(Remove break)
Sudowoodos poor Speed allows it to be outsped by most Pokemon in the tier, meaning that it will face problems sweeping. The given EVs allow it to beat uninvested base 60s Speed tier occupants, while the Adamant nature increases Sudowoodos Attack. Rock Head is chosen ability in order to negate Wood Hammer recoil. Sturdy doesn't offer much use, as entry hazards will almost always be up. A Choice Band turns Sudowoodo into a spectacular wallbreaker, and makes your opponent think twice before sending in anything. However, the use of Sucker Punch makes you Sudowoodo very easy to set up on, and this should be taken into consideration. This is easily remedied by using a Life Orb instead, but the decrease in power is very noticeable. Finally, Hammer Arm can be used over another move if you are having problems with Dark- and Normal-types, although this isn't recommended due to the superior coverage of its other moves.
(Remove break)</p>

[Other Options]

<p>(Remove break)
Sudowoodo has a couple of other options, thanks to its decent movepool. Double-Edge works well with Rock Head, but sacrifices coverage and thus generally should be avoided. Rest allows Sudowoodo to fully heal, although for risk of being setup fodder, this should be used in conjunction with a cleric on your team. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge for higher PP and accuracy, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Sudowoodo has access to the elemental punches, which may seem like a good idea, but the low base power Base Power and unneeded coverage renders these inferior options. Sudowoodo was also gifted with Focus Punch, allowing for a SubPunch set. However, Sudowoodo finds it difficult to force switches, and deciding on which moves to swap out for substitute Substitute and Focus Punch can be a pain. Explosion is also an option if you want to end with a bang, although the Gen 5 nerf and Sudowoodos low speed Speed makes this difficult to use successfully. Sudowoodo gets two decent boosting moves in Rock Polish and Curse. Rock Polish allows it to double its speed Speed, but even then it is still too slow to outspeed the top tier threats and too weak to get past a lot of the walls in the tier. The latter would be feasible were it not for Sudowoodo's poor Special Defense, leaving it easily killed by most special attacks while setting up. Through the The Dream World gave Sudowoodo was given the Rattled ability, which raises its speed Speed by one stage when hit by a Bug, Dark or Ghost Bug-, Dark-, or Ghost-type move, which are very common attacking types very common in the NU tier. While this seems usable, a speed Speed boost of only one stage means practically nothing to Sudowoodo.
(Remove break)</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>(Remove break)
Due to Sudowoodo's (< Apostrophe) pure Rock-typing Rock typing, it possesses many common weaknesses and is therefore easy to counter. Most Pokemon with a decently powerful special attack can at least 2HKO Sudowoodo with a decently powerful special attack. Tangela is a nightmare to face, taking only neutral damage from Stone Edge while resisting Wood Hammer and Earthquake. A Giga Drain from it is a safe 2HKO, even from the support variant. Generally, bulky Grass-types pose problems for Sudowoodo.
(Remove break)</p>
I won't stamp it just yet. PM me once you've implemented all of the changes please, and I'll look it over once more, just to be safe.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a respectable Defense stat, Sudowoodo can take on the role of a supporter for your team. Setting up Stealth Rock stops the repeated switching in of common threats while breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash on opposing Pokemon. STAB Stone Edge hits surprisingly hard from 100 base Attack, and is its main way of dealing damage to foes. The inclusion of Wood Hammer allows Sudowoodo to hit Water- and Ground-types hard, whereas other similar Rock-types would be walled. Finally, Toxic is there to cripple opposing walls who think they've it you beaten.</p>
Fix this up and you can consider this:

GP Approved 1/2

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Sudowoodo, like most other Rock-type Pokemon, has high base Attack and Defense. Unfortunately, its pure Rock typing makes the Imitation Pokemon weak to common attacking types,<comma> such as Grass, Water, and Fighting, and is therefore often shunned in favour of a Pokemon with a solid secondary typing.<period> type. However, Sudowoodo does have one trick up its sleeve which that sets it apart from other Rock-types: Wood Hammer. While other Rock-type Pokemon would flee from Water- and Ground-types, Sudowoodo can fight back, dealing scoring "dealing is probably better when talking about actual damage" many surprise KOs to the against unsuspecting opponents. Sudowoodo can also take on the role of a support Pokemon by laying Stealth Rock and sponging hits from the common Braviary and Swellow. However, aside from that niche, Sudowoodo doesn't have anything over other Rock-types,<comma> so always keep that in mind when including it on your team.</p>

<remove a line separation>
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a respectable Defense stat, Sudowoodo can take on a support role.<period> It can set take on the role of a supporter for your team. Setting up Stealth Rock,<comma> which stops common threats from repeatedly switching in.<period> the repeated switching in of common threats while breaking Sturdy and Focus Sash on opposing Pokemon. Yeah, the Focus Sash part is completely unnecessary STAB Stone Edge hits surprisingly hard from coming off its base 100 base Attack, and is its Sudowoodo's main way of dealing damage to foes. The inclusion of Wood Hammer sets Sudowoodo apart from other Rock-types;<semicolon> it allows Sudowoodo to hit Water- and Ground-types,<comma> which wall its fellow Rock-types,<comma> hard.<period>,<remove comma> whereas other similar Rock-types would be walled. Finally, Toxic is there to cripple opposing sweepers and walls.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Leftovers are necessary on this set due to Sudowoodo's lack of recovery. The given EVs and nature maximize Sudowoodo's Defense, allowing it to endure even the hardest most powerful of physical hits attacks. However, Sudowoodo's low Special Defense makes it very vulnerable, so one must take care be careful with taking special attacks. Rock Head also increases Sudowoodo's survivability by negating Wood Hammer recoil, making it the primary option for the ability. Sturdy could be used,<comma> but in that case, Earthquake is recommended over Wood Hammer,<comma> as the recoil damage would break Sturdy.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to a decent base 100 base Attack and a good movepool, Sudowoodo can take on the role of a physical attacker. Once again, Stone Edge acts as STAB and, thanks to the investments, allows Sudowoodo to heavily dent foes. Earthquake is used with this to form the infamous EdgeQuake combination, allowing Sudowoodo to hit most Pokemon for at least neutral damage.<period> at least neutrally. Wood Hammer enables the decimation of allows Sudowoodo to decimate Water- and Ground-types, and being Sudowoodo's nichemove, the move should always be present. Due to an abysmal Speed stat, Sucker Punch is used in the final move slot to kill take out weakened foes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sudowoodos Sudowoodo's poor Speed allows it to be means it is outsped by most Pokemon in the tier, meaning that it will face problems and will therefore have difficulty sweeping. The given EVs allow it to beat uninvested base 60 Speed tier occupants, while the Adamant nature increases Sudowoodos Sudowoodo's Attack. Rock Head is chosen to negate Wood Hammer recoil. Sturdy doesn't offer much use, as entry hazards will almost always be up. A Choice Band turns Sudowoodo into a spectacular wallbreaker. However, the use of Sucker Punch is then easily set up on, and this should be taken into consideration. However, a Choice locked Sucker Punch Sudowoodo can easily be used as set up bait.<period> This is easily remedied by using a Life Orb instead, but the decrease in power is very noticeable. Finally, Hammer Arm can be used over another move if you are having problems with Dark- and Normal-types, although this isn't recommended due to the superior coverage of provided by its other moves.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sudowoodo has a couple of other options, thanks to its decent movepool. Double-Edge works well with Rock Head, but sacrifices coverage and thus generally should be avoided. Rest allows Sudowoodo to fully heal, although for risk of being setup fodder, this should be used in conjunction with a cleric.<period> on your team. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge for higher PP and accuracy, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Sudowoodo has access to the elemental punches, which may seem like a good idea, but the low Base Power and unneeded coverage renders these options inferior.<period> options. Sudowoodo was also gifted with Focus Punch, allowing for a SubPunch set. However, Sudowoodo finds it difficult to force has difficulty forcing switches, and deciding on which moves to swap out for Substitute and Focus Punch can be a pain. Explosion is also an option if you want to end with a bang, although the Gen 5 nerf and Sudowoodos low Speed makes this difficult to use successfully. Sudowoodo gets two decent boosting moves in Rock Polish and Curse. Rock Polish allows it to double its double's Sudowoodo's Speed, but even then it is still too slow to outspeed the top tier threats and too weak to get past a lot of the walls in the tier. The latter would be feasible were it not for Sudowoodo's poor Special Defense, which leaves it prone to special attacks when setting up.<period> leaving it easily killed by most special attacks while setting up. The Dream World gave Sudowoodo the Rattled ability, which raises its Speed by one stage when hit by a Bug-, Dark-, or Ghost-type move, which are all very common attacking types in the NU tier. While this seems usable, a Speed boost of only one stage means practically nothing to Sudowoodo.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Sudowoodo's pure Rock typing, it possesses many common weaknesses and is therefore easy to counter. Most Pokemon can 2HKO Sudowoodo with a decently powerful special attack. Tangela is a nightmare to face, taking only neutral damage from Stone Edge while resisting Wood Hammer and Earthquake. A Giga Drain from it is a safe surefire 2HKO, even from the support variant. Generally, bulky Grass-types pose problems for Sudowoodo.</p>

GP Approved (2/2)

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You need to mention teammates for both sets. For example, on the supportive set you should mention Pokemon that can switch into its weaknesses or defeat Sudowoodo's counters. Also, Wish support is helpful since it lacks recovery. Mention a spinblocker as well, as they keep Stealth Rock on the field. For the offensive set, mention entry hazards support. Also, Pokemon that can take out physically defensive walls. Mainly special attackers, Taunters, and Toxic Spikes. In regards to the GP, there are a few odd spaces, and on the second set's EVs, Speed should be Spe. Make these changes, and I'll take a second look. Thank you.

I'm a bit confused about the Overview. You essentially say that the only reason one would use Sudowoodo over other Rock types is Wood Hammer. You go on to say that "Sudowoodo can fight back, scoring many surprise KOs against unsuspecting opponents." If the one reason to use Sudowoodo is Wood Hammer, why would its presence on a set be even remotely surprising?

Surprise value matters in many cases, but as far as I can tell, this is not one of them.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You need to mention teammates for both sets. For example, on the supportive set you should mention Pokemon that can switch into its weaknesses or defeat Sudowoodo's counters. Also, Wish support is helpful since it lacks recovery. Mention a spinblocker as well, as they keep Stealth Rock on the field. For the offensive set, mention entry hazards support. Also, Pokemon that can take out physically defensive walls. Mainly special attackers, Taunters, and Toxic Spikes. In regards to the GP, there are a few odd spaces, and on the second set's EVs, Speed should be Spe. Make these changes, and I'll take a second look. Thank you.
seriously do this or else

Right. I've made the changes adding Pokemon that work well with Sudowoodo and this should hopefully be finished now. I'm not sure whether it needs to be GP checked again since I'm bound to of made a mistake somewhere, so if someone could clarify this that would be great.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the support set you mention that Altaria doesn't resist Fighting? Or that's what the sentence implies. Change that please, then we'll get some more GP around here!

sure

[Overview]

<p>Sudowoodo, likeas with most other Rock-type Pokemon, has high base Attack and Defense stats. Unfortunately, its pure Rock typing makes the Imitation Pokemon weak to common attacking types, such as Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-, and is therefore often shunned in favour of a Pokemon with a solid secondary typing. However, Sudowoodo does have one trick up its sleeve that sets it apart from other Rock-types: Wood Hammer. While other Rock-type Pokemon would flee from Water- and Ground-types, Sudowoodo can fight back, scoring many surprise KOs against unsuspecting opponents. Sudowoodo can also take on the role of a support Pokemon by laying down Stealth Rock and sponging hits from the common Braviary and Swellow. However, aside from that niche, Sudowoodo doesn't have anything over other Rock-types, so always keep that in mind when including it on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a respectable Defense stat, Sudowoodo can easily take on a support role. It can set up Stealth Rock, which stops common threats from repeatedly switching in. Misdreavus can be used as a spin-blocker to keep Stealth Rock present and also has the benefit of being immune to Fighting-type attacks. STAB Stone Edge hits surprisingly hard coming off its base 100 Attack, and is Sudowoodo's main way of dealing damage to foes. The inclusion of Wood Hammer sets Sudowoodo apart from other Rock-types; it allows Sudowoodo to hit Water- and Ground-types, which wall its fellow Rock-types, hard. Finally, Toxic is there to cripple opposing sweepers and walls.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Leftovers are necessary on this set due to Sudowoodo's lack of recovery. The given EVs and nature maximize Sudowoodo's Defense, allowing it to endure even the most powerful of physical attacks. This set makes an excellent counter to the common bird PokemonFlying-types in NU, being able to comfortably switch into Brave Bird or Facade and scare them out with Stone Edge (Make sure to watch out for Braviary's Superpower though). However, Sudowoodo's low Special Defense makes it very vulnerable, so one must be careful with takingaround special attackers. A sSpecially defensive Altaria works brilliantly in conjunction with Sudowoodo, being able to take the numerous specially based attacks directed at Sudowoodo and roosting of the damage. Lickilicky also works well, being one of the tiers best special walls and also being able to pass enormous wishes, replenishing Sudowoodo's HpP. However you, Sudowoodo should be cautious of a fFighting-type attacks which neither Sudowoodo nor Lickilicky resist.</p>

<p>Rock Head increases Sudowoodo's survivability by negating Wood Hammer recoil, making it the primary option for the ability. Sturdy could be used, but in that case, Earthquake is recommended over Wood Hammer, as the recoil damage would break Sturdy.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to a decent base 100 Attack and a good movepool, Sudowoodo can take on the role of a physical attacker. Once again, Stone Edge acts as STABis a great STAB move and, thanks to the Attack investments, allows Sudowoodo to heavily dent foes. Earthquake is used with this to form the infamous EdgeQuake combination, allowing Sudowoodo to hit most Pokemon for at least neutral damage. Wood Hammer allows Sudowoodo to decimate Water- and Ground-types, and being Sudowoodo's niche move, should always be present. Due to an abysmal Speed stat, Sucker Punch is used in the final move slot to take out faster, weakened foes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sudowoodo's poor Speed means it is outsppaced by most Pokemon in the tier, and will therefore have difficulty sweeping. The given EVs allow it to beat uninvested base 60 Speed tier occupantsPokemon, while the Adamant nature increases Sudowoodo's Attack. Having a Pokemon to set up entry hazards will be of great benefit to Sudowoodo. Cacturne for example, can set up Spikes allowing Sudowoodo to KO a lot more Pokemon. Garbodor is an alternative, being able to set up either Spikes or Toxic Spikes depending on the situation.</p>

<p>While Sudowoodo has a good offensive presence, physical walls such as Tangela can stop it completely. To remedy this, a special attacker cshould be used to remove the said wall and give Sudowoodo a better chance atof a sweep. Magmortar works well in this role, being able to easily deal with Tangela thanks to aits powerful STAB Fire Blast and immunity to sleep, while its coverage moves enable it to deal with most other physical walls.</p>

<p>Rock Head is chosen to negate Wood Hammer recoil. Sturdy doesn't offer much use, as entry hazards will almost always be up. A Choice Band turns Sudowoodo into a spectacular wallbreaker. However, a choice -locked Sucker Punch Sudowoodo can easily be used as set -up bait. This is easily remedied by using a Life Orb instead, but the decrease in power is very noticeable. Finally, Hammer Arm can be used over another move if you are having problems with Dark- and Normal-types, although this isn't recommended due to the superior coverage provided by its other moves.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sudowoodo has a couple of other options, thanks to its decent movepool. Double-Edge works well with Rock Head, but it sacrifices coverage and generally should be avoided. Rest allows Sudowoodo to fully heal, although for risk of being setup fodder, should be used in conjunction with a cleric. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge for higher PP and accuracy, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Sudowoodo has access to the elemental punches, which may seem like a good idea, but the low Base Power and unneeded coverage rendermakes these options inferior. Sudowoodo was also gifted with Focus Punch, allowing for a SubPunch set. However, Sudowoodo has difficulty forcing switches, and deciding which moves to swap out for Substitute and Focus Punch can be a pain. Explosion is also an option if you want to end with a bang, although the Gen 5 nerf and Sudowoodo's low Speed makes this difficult to use successfully. Sudowoodo gets two decent boosting moves in Rock Polish and Curse. Rock Polish double's Sudowoodo's Speed, but even then it is still too slow to outspeed the top tier threats and too weak to get past a lot of the walls in the tier. The latter would be feasible were it not for Sudowoodo's poor Special Defense, which leaves it prone to special attacks when setting up. The Dream World gave Sudowoodo the Rattled ability, which raises its Speed by one stage when hit by a Bug-, Dark-, or Ghost-type move, all very common attacking types in the NU tier. While this seems usable, a Speed boost of only one stage means practically nothing to Sudowoodo.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Sudowoodo's pure Rock typing, it possesses many common weaknesses and is therefore easy to counter. Most Pokemon can 2HKO Sudowoodo with a decently powerful special attack. Tangela is a nightmare to face, taking only neutral damage from Stone Edge while resisting Wood Hammer and Earthquake. A Giga Drain from it is a surefire 2HKO, even from the support variant. Bulky pPsychic -types such as Mesprit and Musharna can set up all over a Sudowoodo lacking Toxic, taking only neutral damage from its attacks. In general, bulky Pokemon give Sudowoodo trouble.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Sudowoodo, as with most other Rock-type Pokemon, has high Attack and Defense stats. Unfortunately, its pure Rock typing makes the Imitation Pokemon weak to common attacking types, such as Grass-, Water-, and Fighting-, and is therefore often shunned in favor of a Pokemon with a solid secondary typing. However, Sudowoodo does have one trick up its sleeve that sets it apart from other Rock-types: Wood Hammer. While other Rock-type Pokemon would flee from Water- and Ground-types, Sudowoodo can fight back, scoring many surprise KOs against unsuspecting opponents. Sudowoodo can also take on the role of a support Pokemon by laying down Stealth Rock and sponging hits from the common Braviary and Swellow. However, aside from that niche, Sudowoodo doesn't have anything over other Rock-types, so always keep that in mind when including it on your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a respectable Defense stat, Sudowoodo can easily take on a support role. It can set up Stealth Rock, which stops common threats from repeatedly switching in. Misdreavus can be used as a spinblocker to keep Stealth Rock present and also has the benefit of being immune to Fighting-type attacks. STAB Stone Edge hits surprisingly hard coming off its base 100 Attack, and is Sudowoodo's main way of dealing damage to foes. The inclusion of Wood Hammer sets Sudowoodo apart from other Rock-types; it allows Sudowoodo to hit Water- and Ground-types, which wall its fellow Rock-types, hard. Finally, Toxic is there to cripple opposing sweepers and walls.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Leftovers are necessary on this set due to Sudowoodo's lack of recovery. The given EVs and nature maximize Sudowoodo's Defense, allowing it to endure even the most powerful of physical attacks. This set makes an excellent counter to the common Flying-types in NU, being able to comfortably switch into Brave Bird or Facade and scare them out with Stone Edge (Make sure to watch out for Braviary's Superpower though). However, Sudowoodo's low Special Defense makes it very vulnerable, so one must be careful around special attackers. Specially defensive Altaria works brilliantly in conjunction with Sudowoodo, being able to take the numerous specially based attacks directed at Sudowoodo and roosting of the damage. Lickilicky also works well, being one of the tiers best special walls and also being able to pass enormous wishes, replenishing Sudowoodo's HP. However, Sudowoodo should be cautious of Fighting-type attacks which neither Sudowoodo nor Lickilicky resist.</p>

<p>Rock Head increases Sudowoodo's survivability by negating Wood Hammer recoil, making it the primary option for the ability. Sturdy could be used, but in that case, Earthquake is recommended over Wood Hammer, as the recoil damage would break Sturdy.</p>

[SET]
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to a decent base 100 Attack and a good movepool, Sudowoodo can take on the role of a physical attacker. Once again, Stone Edge is a great STAB move and, thanks to the Attack investment, allows Sudowoodo to heavily dent foes. Earthquake is used with this to form the EdgeQuake combination, allowing Sudowoodo to hit most Pokemon for at least neutral damage. Wood Hammer allows Sudowoodo to decimate Water- and Ground-types, and being Sudowoodo's niche move, should always be present. Due to an abysmal Speed stat, Sucker Punch is used in the final move slot to take out faster, weakened foes.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sudowoodo's poor Speed means it is outpaced by most Pokemon in the tier, and will therefore have difficulty sweeping. The given EVs allow it to beat uninvested base 60 Speed Pokemon, while the Adamant nature increases Sudowoodo's Attack. Having a Pokemon to set up entry hazards will be of great benefit to Sudowoodo. Cacturne for example, can set up Spikes allowing Sudowoodo to KO a lot more Pokemon. Garbodor is an alternative, being able to set up either Spikes or Toxic Spikes depending on the situation.</p>

<p>While Sudowoodo has a good offensive presence, physical walls such as Tangela can stop it completely. To remedy this, a special attacker should be used to remove the said wall and give Sudowoodo a better chance of a sweep. Magmortar works well in this role, being able to easily deal with Tangela thanks to its powerful STAB Fire Blast and immunity to sleep, while its coverage moves enable it to deal with most other physical walls.</p>

<p>Rock Head is chosen to negate Wood Hammer recoil. Sturdy doesn't offer much use, as entry hazards will almost always be up. A Choice Band turns Sudowoodo into a spectacular wallbreaker. However, a choice-locked Sucker Punch can easily be used as set-up bait. This is easily remedied by using a Life Orb instead, but the decrease in power is very noticeable. Finally, Hammer Arm can be used over another move if you are having problems with Dark- and Normal-types, although this isn't recommended due to the superior coverage provided by its other moves.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Sudowoodo has a couple of other options, thanks to its decent movepool. Double-Edge works well with Rock Head, but it sacrifices coverage and generally should be avoided. Rest allows Sudowoodo to fully heal, although for risk of being setup fodder, should be used in conjunction with a cleric. Rock Slide can be used over Stone Edge for higher PP and accuracy, but the drop in power is very noticeable. Sudowoodo has access to the elemental punches, which may seem like a good idea, but the low Base Power and unneeded coverage makes these options inferior. Sudowoodo was also gifted with Focus Punch, allowing for a SubPunch set. However, Sudowoodo has difficulty forcing switches, and deciding which moves to swap out for Substitute and Focus Punch can be a pain. Explosion is also an option if you want to end with a bang, although the Gen 5 nerf and Sudowoodo's low Speed makes this difficult to use successfully. Sudowoodo gets two decent boosting moves in Rock Polish and Curse. Rock Polish doubles Sudowoodo's Speed, but even then it is still too slow to outspeed the top tier threats and too weak to get past a lot of the walls in the tier. The latter would be feasible were it not for Sudowoodo's poor Special Defense, which leaves it prone to special attacks when setting up. The Dream World gave Sudowoodo the Rattled ability, which raises its Speed by one stage when hit by a Bug-, Dark-, or Ghost-type move, all very common attacking types in the NU tier. While this seems usable, a Speed boost of only one stage means practically nothing to Sudowoodo.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Sudowoodo's pure Rock typing, it possesses many common weaknesses and is therefore easy to counter. Most Pokemon can 2HKO Sudowoodo with a decently powerful special attack. Tangela is a nightmare to face, taking only neutral damage from Stone Edge while resisting Wood Hammer and Earthquake. A Giga Drain from it is a surefire 2HKO, even from the support variant. Bulky Psychic-types such as Mesprit and Musharna can set up all over a Sudowoodo lacking Toxic, taking only neutral damage from its attacks. In general, bulky Pokemon give Sudowoodo trouble.</p>

Please note that there were still way too many errors for this to have already gone through TWO GP checks; just something to note for future reference.

GP 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)