1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice: An OU Good Stuffs Team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Dietcoke101, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Dietcoke101

Dietcoke101

Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice: An OU Good-Stuffs Team

Hi, my name is Dietcoke101, and this is my first attempt at a good OU RMT. So here we go!!​

Team at a Glance:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Team Building:

So I started with Terrakion, Hydregion, and Ferrothorn core. That way I start with some good power from Terrakion and some nice hazards from Ferrothorn. So Terrakion being my main Physical Sweeper, Hydregion being my main Special Sweeper, and Ferrothorn being a nice wall, and good with hazards.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Now I need to cover Ferrothorn’s despicable Fire Weakness so I brought in Heatran.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And now we need someone to troll the opponent, so who better than…Gliscor!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And to fill up the last spot, I chose a bulky scout, with crippling powers, Rotom-W.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In-Depth Analysis:

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball

Overview:
    Ferrothorn…the beast of OU. This guy is basically good on any team. I have the basic OU Ferrothorn, Spikes for setting up some nice entry hazards to get some lovely switch damage done. Leech Seed is for taking some of the opponents damage and getting a lil’ back for Ferrothorn. Now instead of going Power Whip, I decided T-Wave was my better option. I like having the opponents Pokemon being crippled, and I also have some slow guys on the team so the “speed lowerage” helps out a bit. I also don’t enjoy Power Whip’s accuracy so…yeah. And obviously Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn’s best friend.

Special IVs:
    - 0 Speed
    I did the 0 Speed IVs as well just to get that extra Gyro Ball damage in, since Ferrothorn will be out-sped anyway.

Nature:
    Relaxed nature is for more defense and even less speed.

EV Spread:
    I put Ferrothorns EVs mainly in HP, to provide bulk in both Def and SpDef. 248 SpDef is for being able to take Special hits better since the nature is in Def.

Ability Choice:
    Iron Barbs (Only Choice)

Item Choice:
    I went with the obvious Lefties. An extra 1/16 Health really does help out. I used to have Rocky Helmet for extra damage, but I got rid of it really fast. Not only are Lefties more helpful anyways, but I got extra ticked when Ferrothorn dies when Lefties could have saved him.

[​IMG]

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Earth Power

Overview:
    Ok, Heatran is a nice guy to have on your team. I made my Heatran on offensive one. I chose Fire Blast over Lava Plume for extra damage, even though I despise the 85% accuracy. Earth Power to get rid of mainly things that resist my Fire Blast. Then I chose Dragon Pulse but I’m think of trading it for HP-Ice, not sure though. Next we have Stealth Rock. I like more entry hazards to do a ton of entry damage.

Special IVs:
    - Nothing Special

Nature:
    Modest nature for extra damage on my special attacks.

EV Spread:
    I put majority of the EVs in SpAtk for even more damage, and then 128 HP and 128 SpDef to be a bit bulkier but more in SpDef than in Def

Ability Choice:
    Flash Fire over Flame Body durrr…

Item Choice:
    I chose the Air Balloon like many others. The 4x weakness to ground moves is pretty frightening. It also helps me escape Spikes since I don’t have a Rapid Spinner.

[​IMG]

Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Close Combat
    - Sacred Sword

Overview:
    Choice-Banded Terrakion…nuff said. Anyways in more detail, CB Terrakion is a huge threat. His main attack will be Close Combat, just having to be weary of Ghost-Typed Pokemon. Then we have the unreliable yet incredibly strong Stone Edge. A great move……when it hits. He then has X-Scissor for coverage against Psychics, and Sacred Sword is really just a filler.

Special IVs:
    - Nothing Special

Nature:
    Jolly because I hope I can out speed other Terrakions etc. unless they are thinking the same way I am :P I’d rather take first hit over a little more power.

EV Spread:
    I put his EVs in Speed and Atk for quickness and strength. And then 4 in HP incase I ever live with 1 HP, I’ll know I did the right thing :D

Ability Choice:
    Justified (Only Choice)

Item Choice:
    Choice Band for a near unstoppable force.

[​IMG]

Hydreigon (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - U-turn
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Surf

Overview:
    Ok, I understand you might be thinking “What kind of messed up set is he running?” It’s true it’s a very weird set, which is what makes it work. Ok the point of me running this set is trickery. Most people find Hydregion to be running Choice Specs, which is right. But when they think I am running Choice Specs like most other people they will be dead wrong. They will switch into a counter for the move I’m using but I can then slam them with a different attack. U-Turn then is the only unexplained move. It is basically for getting out of tough situations, for that extra damage and to regain full SpAtk lost for Draco Meteor.

Special IVs:
    - Nothing Special

Nature:

EV Spread:
    I put majority of the EVs in SpAtk for even more damage, and then I put a whole bunch more in Speed so I can try to outrun people.

Ability Choice:
    Levitate (Only Choice)

Item Choice:
    I chose Expert Belt on my Hydregion because with all of his moves and different types, he’s bound to get the 20% boost majority of the time.

[​IMG]

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute
    - Protect

Overview:
    Well, once this Pokemon sets up it’s basically summed up in saying that it’s “The Most Annoying Pokemon EVER!” Yes I know Sub-Protecting for Toxic damage is pretty lame, but it works. And then he has Earthquake. The only pokemon that work really well against this are Skarmory, and some Poision/Steel types with Levitate. So I’m fairly sure you know how this works. You basically Toxic the pokemon, and then use Protect and Substitute alternating with Poision Heal so you can make endless Subs.

Special IVs:
    - Nothing Special

Nature:
    Jolly nature for out-speeding Pokemon to get the Toxic up.

EV Spread:
    I wanted to make him as bulky as possible by using my EV spread, so lots of HP, a lil’ in Def since he’s bulky enough in Def and a bunch in SpDef. He just has to take one hit which will leave him with enough to make a Sub.

Ability Choice:
    Poison Heal, the only Ability to actually allow this set to work. It makes it so Gliscor can make endless Subs.

Item Choice:
    Obviously I went with the Toxic Orb here. I’m not going to keep switching Gliscor in hoping they toxic him and having him not being able to do anything until he’s poisoned.

[​IMG]

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 Spd
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split
    - Hydro Pump

Overview:
    The washing machine…Yep it’s Rotom-W. This guy is really quite lovely. I chose to make mine the bulky Rotom-W with Pain Split. Volt Switch is one of his best moves. It hits the opponent and allows you to change your Pokemon. Next is Will-O-Wisp. This basically screws over any physical attacker and adds some nice residual damage. Next the real ticker of this set, Pain Split. Pain Split allows me to add more to my health while taking from my opponents. It works very nicely on Pokemon with a lot of Health like Chansey and Pokemon with full health. Then there’s Hydro Pump. STAB Hydro Pump works very nicely doing a ton of damage.

Special IVs:
    - Nothing Special

Nature:

EV Spread:
    Ok I put some EVs into Speed to try to outrun slower Pokemon, and some HP to make my Rotom more bulky. And then the rest went into SpAtk for super powered moves.

Ability Choice:
    Levitate (Only Choice)

Item Choice:
    Ok, I chose Lefties here. I can get back some HP each turn and allow for more switching in and out especially when there’s entry hazards because again, no Rapid-Spinner.

Team Synergy:

*NOTE* The “Covered By” Pokemon are ordered from most-effective to least-effective. Most effective being in green, less effective, but still effective in blue.
    *NOTE* + between Pokemon implies that those 2 (or more) Pokemon are equally as effective to switch into.
    *NOTE* When switching into Heatran, whether or not he’s your best bet is based on the status of his Air Balloon. I don’t wanna waste his Air Balloon on a switch in, and I won’t switch in on a predicted Ground move if it’s broken.
    *NOTE* CAPS means that pokemon is unaffected by that type, implying a very effective switch in.​

This is a purely type-based synergy match-up, if I know it’s a physical move that’s coming, I’ll switch into one of my more physical walls and like-wise with special attacks.

Ferrothorn:

Weak to:
    FIRE – Covered by HEATRAN (gets Flash Fire Boost), Terrakion + Hydregion + Rotom-W
    Fighting – Gliscor

Heatran:

Weak to:
    GROUND – HYDREGION + GLISCOR + ROTOM-W, Heatran (If Air Balloon is still intact)
    Fighting – Gliscor
    Water – Rotom-W + Ferrothorn

Terrakion:

Weak to:
    Grass – Ferrothorn + Heatran, Hydregion
    Fighting – Gliscor
    Steel – Rotom-W + Heatran
    Ground – HYDREGION + GLISCOR + ROTOM-W, Heatran (If Air Balloon is still intact)
    Psychic – HYDREGION, Heatran

Hydregion:

Weak to:
    Ice – Heatran, Rotom-W
    Fighting – Gliscor
    Bug – Heatran, Terrakion + Gliscor
    Dragon – Ferrothorn + Heatran

Gliscor:

Weak to:
    Ice – Heatran, Rotom-W

Rotom-W:

Weak to:
    Grass – Ferrothorn + Heatran, Hydregion

Threat List:
    *COMING SOON*
  2. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Right off the bat you are weak to rain spam, Scarf Keldeo in particular, who can OHKO everyone except Rotom and Hydreigon. Therefore, I suggest you change Rotom-W to a Specially Defensive Water Absorb Jellicent. This makes a good check to Scarf Keldeo, being able to take anything with ease and status the horse.

Jellicent@Leftovers
    Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SpDef
    Calm Nature (+SpDef,-Atk)
    Scald
    Toxic
    Recover
    Taunt

This set is one of your best bets. Scald for STAB and burn chance, Toxic for more status, Recover for healing, and Taunt to stop things like CM Keldeo and DD Dragonite from setting up.
  3. Dietcoke101

Dietcoke101

Yeah, ok I guess Rotom-W is not the main block for any of the pokemon. And if he is there is usually another to block it as well. I'll have to test it out, but I think it will help since it also gives me a Spin-Blocker
  4. Trinitrotoluene

Trinitrotoluene it was a strange encounter, one i could not explain
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus

Hey man. Right now, your team seems to be extremely vulnerable to Breloom, Keldeo, and opposing Terrakion. All of them can run through your team since you have only one resistance to Fighting attacks in the form of Gliscor, and they all have moves capable of hitting Gliscor for at least neutral damage. To fix this crippling issue, while maintaining the use of a powerful specially-based dragon, I'd recommend using LO Latias over your Hydreigon. You're not using Superpower, and you have Terrakion to get rid of annoying Dark-types, so you have nothing to lose. Latias also gives you a quick Pokemon that can check SD YacheChomp and Sheer Force Landorus, taking pressure off your steels in checking the former and Rotom-W for the latter. Also, with the addition of Latias to your team, rain offense teams that spam powerful boosted Water-type attacks will no longer have a shot at breaking past your team.

DD Dragonite and DD Salamence look like menaces for this team to face, and Heatran, your best bet against them, can't do enough damage to them with Dragon Pulse. Without overly changing your team, the best way to stop these threats is to use a move you probably planned on using anyways: Hidden Power Ice. I'd recommend using this over Dragon Pulse, which has less super-effective coverage than HP Ice. HP Ice also helps against SubProtect Gliscor, which could possibly outstall your team aside from your own SubProtect Gliscor, but it can't do anything against it. I'd also recommend using an EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe with a Timid nature, so you can outpace all Adamant Dragonite before a Dragon Dance. This change could help when facing CB variants of Dragonite, which typically run Adamant natures.

Now, for some nitpicks. For Rotom-W, I'd recommend using a Specially Defensive ChestoResto set over your current bulky attacker Rotom-W. This gives you a sturdier switch for Tornadus-T and Specs Politoed / Keldeo (avoid Secret Sword from the latter), as well as a semi-reliable status absorber for the rest of your team. Admittedly, you do lose some power, but I believe the utility brought about by using this set outweighs the loss of power. If you do decide to integrate that change into your team, then I'd recommend using an EV spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD over your current spread. This grants your Ferrothorn much more physical bulk, which is critical for dealing with many of the physically-based dragons and other threats that could possibly give your team a bad day. This EV spread change also reduces the stress placed on Gliscor to check physical threats. Also, since you're using Thunder Wave in Ferrothorn's 3rd moveslot, I'd recommend using Power Whip over Gyro Ball. Thunder Wave neuters the power of Gyro Ball, making the use of both of them on the same moveset counterproductive. Power Whip also gives you a move that hits the nearly ubiquitous Water-types super-effectively. A summarized list of changes can be seen below.

Sets:
    [​IMG]
    Latias @ Life Orb | Levitate
    Timid | 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
    Draco Meteor | Psyshock | Surf | Roost

[​IMG]
    Rotom [Wash] @ Chesto Berry | Levitate
    Calm | 248 HP / 28 SpA / 228 SpD / 4 Spe | 0 Atk
    Volt Switch | Hydro Pump | Thunder Wave | Rest

nota bene: You can use Will-O-Wisp over Thunder Wave if that fits your modus operandi more.

Nitpicks:
    • [​IMG] ----> [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
      • Dragon Pulse ----> Hidden Power Ice
      • 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 SpD Modest ----> 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Timid
    • [​IMG]
      • Bulky Attacker set ----> Specially Defensive ChestoResto set
    • [​IMG]
      • 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD ----> 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
      • Gyro Ball ----> Power Whip
    Despite the length of this rate, everything after the second paragraph is just nitpicks that you can try out that should improve the status of this team. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)