1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Suggestions/Help For My First VGC 2013 Team

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by smellyfaces, Mar 24, 2013.

1. smellyfaces

smellyfaces

hey, so I'm gonna do a quick intro and we'll get underway.

I'm smellyfaces. RABID pokemon fan since the solid age of 5, and at 19 i still love it. Up until I was 18 (actually a year ago this month) I was your typical noob. Using Electivire, Magmortar (with Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Fire Blast and Flamethrower) and Tyranitar (with Outrage) not EV training anything, not even knowing what that was. Well in March of 2012 I decided to learn about competitive pokemon. So here I am, trying to make good teams and well, I'm open for suggestions and all types of help! Ps, I don't RNG primarily because, I still don't know how too -.-

The Team:

Tyranitar (F) @ Chople Berry w/ Brave Nature
    Ability: Sand Stream EVs: 252HP/252Atk/4SpD
    -Protect
    -Rock Slide
    -Low Kick
    -Crunch

I don't think there's much to explain here. 100% standard Tyranitar. I chose Tyranitar because I prefer sand over every other weather. I feel like sand is the best due to the fact that it does damage and also gives some a SpD boost. Protect doesnt need any explanation. Rock Slide is for stab and flinches. Low Kick for other T-Tars and heavy Steel types. Crunch for stab and the oh so popular Cresselia. Speaking of which...

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers w/ Calm Nature
    Ability: Levitate EVs: 252HP/4Def/252SpD
    -Helping Hand
    -Icy Wind
    -Psychic
    -Light Screen/Reflect

The #1 used pokemon in VGC's (according to the feb2013 stats) is on my team. Why? Because Cresselia puts in work! She is a great team player! Helping Hand to add a little extra boost of power to those spread moves and other moves that need it. Icy Wind to take care of fast pokemon or swift swim abusers. Psychic for stab and fighting types to cover T-Tars primary weakness. Light Screen or Reflect is for a little extra survivability for everybody. It really does help my "sweepers" to survive a super effective hit without a berry.

Salamence (M) @ Dragon Gem w/ Modest Nature
    Ability: Intimidate EVs: 252SpA/4SpD/252Spe
    -Protect
    -Draco Meteor
    -Flamethrower
    -Hydro Pump

Salamence makes an appearance on my team because I wanted an intimidater and a dragon. Well... why have two pokemon to fill those roles when you can have one?! Salamance is a great sweeper. Protect to stall a turn to prevent an ice attack or stall trick room. Draco Meteor as the primary stab move and with the dragon gem it absolutely demolishes everything (minus bulky steel types.) Flamethrower for those said steel types. Now like I said earlier; I dont know how to RNG. So instead of HP flying i went with Hydro Pump. Its a great move to take care of Heatran who would other wise completely wall Salamence.

Bronzong (genderless) @ Occa Berry w/ Sassy Nature
    Ability: Levitate EVs: 252HP/4Atk/252SpD 0SpeIVs
    -Protect
    -Trick Room
    -Imprison
    -Gyro Ball

Bronzong is on my team because I feel like every team needs a steel type. They're great defensively and resist dragon. Protect is the obvious usual explanation for its usage. Trick Room is incase I ever get caught in a pickle and my pokemon are slower. Also with Imprison I can prevent Protect and Trick Room from happening which is awesome. Gyro Ball is there for stab and to prevent myself from being taunt bait.

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb w/ Adamant Nature
    Ability: Guts EVs: 212HP/252Atk/44Def
    -Detect
    -Mach Punch
    -Drain Punch
    -Rock Slide

Conkeldurr is here because of many reasons. It makes a great status absorber and is a powerful fighting type. Also, it's slow so provided trick room does happen, it can potentially counter it. Detect is used to activate the orb which in turn activates Guts. Mach Punch for a heavy hitting priority. Rock Slide for coverage and possible flinches. Drain Punch for a main stab move and to regain HP provided it gets low. With a burn and sandstorm Conkeldurr's HP goes down quickly. Conkeldurr also helps get rid of steel types, making Salamences day easier.

Mamoswine (F) @ Focus Sash w/ Adamant Nature
    Ability: Snow Cloak EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
    -Protect
    -Ice Shard
    -Icicle Spear
    -Earthquake

My big Mamo! This thing took forever to breed. Ice Shard is there for a priority move, and it actually does massive damage to alot of things. Icicle Spear to get rid of those pesky Yache berries on Dragonite/Garchomp/Salamence etc etc and do massive damage. It also makes Prankster users like Tornadus and Thundurus regret using Substitute. Earthquake is the primary stab ground move as its a spread move and 3 of my 5 teammates are immune to it!

Well, thanks for reading that. Feel free to try it out. I'd like ANY TYPE OF FEEDBACK! thanks in advance!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)