Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodMorningEspeon

pondering mongoose
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I think that the Help room should go back to how it was before, without modchat. Not only does this give an opportunity to regular users to help out some other new folks but I think this would also cut down on the amount of stupid questions asked in Lobby. After looking over it for a while I see that Lobby is starting to become the chat where people ask for help rather than the Help room. This is probably because of the modchat in the room and people not bothering to stay in the room to PM a staff member, seeing as they can't talk in the chat, and instead head to Lobby.

I get that there are benefits from the permanent modchat in the room like cutting down on spamming, trolling, etc. but this was something that I've had in mind for a while and thought I should just throw it out there. n_n

GoodMorningEspeon

The Help room was not really productive back when it did not have modchat. Consistent spam, 500 questions being asked about the same thing over and over (even when /walled the answer, some idiot had to ask the same question without even reading what we said) and to be honest, it's really for efficiency purposes that it is the way it is currently. If people need help, they can PM the global staff present.

I'm not sure why the Help room being on modchat % would deny you the opportunity to help users that you could otherwise help in lobby anyway. It's easier for us to direct our attention and focus on lobby as far as questions and answers go than to have it split between Help and several other rooms that a lot of us (global staff) are committed to, already.

With that all being said though, this topic may be discussed amongst global staff at some point in the future, but no guarantees! ^^

GoodMorningEspeon

The Help room was not really productive back when it did not have modchat. Consistent spam, 500 questions being asked about the same thing over and over (even when /walled the answer, some idiot had to ask the same question without even reading what we said) and to be honest, it's really for efficiency purposes that it is the way it is currently. If people need help, they can PM the global staff present.

I'm not sure why the Help room being on modchat % would deny you the opportunity to help users that you could otherwise help in lobby anyway. It's easier for us to direct our attention and focus on lobby as far as questions and answers go than to have it split between Help and several other rooms that a lot of us (global staff) are committed to, already.

With that all being said though, this topic may be discussed amongst global staff at some point in the future, but no guarantees! ^^
Then why not get rid of the room? It'd be a better idea then making it feel like users can't ask in-channel (which is what the list entry implies).

That seems circular. If I saw no help room, I'd generally ask my questions in the largest room, in this case lobby,
You could do that, or you could save some time and go to the help room and ask everyone that you know is global staff. Sometimes roomstaff get PMs and questions that are meant for globals, so the Help room exists to identify the actual global auth that you can reach for help.

Not all the time is Lobby going to be the best place to ask your questions, so this is more of another measure should you really want your question to be answered.

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It's been a long ass time since I've suggested something, but here I am again.
I think it would be useful if you could type in 'Priority' in the move boxes in the Teambuilder. Just like what happens if you type in 'special' and 'physical'. This would help out many users I feel, because the Lobby has this type of questions regularly.

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
To add to what kasumi said, i think you should also be able to type 'recovery' or something along those lines into Teambuilder, for pretty much the same reason.
It's been a long ass time since I've suggested something, but here I am again.
I think it would be useful if you could type in 'Priority' in the move boxes in the Teambuilder. Just like what happens if you type in 'special' and 'physical'. This would help out many users I feel, because the Lobby has this type of questions regularly.

kevinrocks

/ds recovery, [tier]

but /ds priority should be added too tbhimo
I feel like not enough people know about this, not to mention that it would just be much easier while teambuilding to simply look for it. Considering how few recovery moves there are, (i think) this would be easily implemented and make teambuilding more efficient esp. for new users

I think the way users are added to single elimination tournaments could be tweaked.

Currently for an 8-player tour with nobody leaving the tour, the matchups are between 1 & 5, 3 & 6, 2 & 7, 4 & 8 (in order of joining). The next 8 players are matched up with 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 7, 4 and 8 in that order.

Instead, I the matchups could try to balance the tour so that there are about the same number in each half. For that 8-player tour, the matchups would be between 1 & 5, 3 & 7, 2 & 6, 4 & 8; the next 8 players would be matched up with the first 8 in the same order, resulting in 1 & 9, 5 & 13, 3 & 11 etc.

The perceived downside is that if there are only 12 players then the matchups are 1 & 9, 5 (bye), 3 & 11, 7 (bye) etc. with lots of byes, but my plan is that signups could remain open as long as there are byes are waiting for a match.

I think the way users are added to single elimination tournaments could be tweaked.

Currently for an 8-player tour with nobody leaving the tour, the matchups are between 1 & 5, 3 & 6, 2 & 7, 4 & 8 (in order of joining). The next 8 players are matched up with 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 7, 4 and 8 in that order.

Instead, I the matchups could try to balance the tour so that there are about the same number in each half. For that 8-player tour, the matchups would be between 1 & 5, 3 & 7, 2 & 6, 4 & 8; the next 8 players would be matched up with the first 8 in the same order, resulting in 1 & 9, 5 & 13, 3 & 11 etc.

The perceived downside is that if there are only 12 players then the matchups are 1 & 9, 5 (bye), 3 & 11, 7 (bye) etc. with lots of byes, but my plan is that signups could remain open as long as there are byes are waiting for a match.
I feel like being able to signup as long as there are byes waiting would make it too easy to scout the people already playing before you join. But that is an interesting thought. Maybe they could make it so you couldn't see other matches until you join or something.

Another suggestion. Wow, so soon, wtf? Psh, I know, silly one, I just came up with one.

/rank should show the user's position in the ladder. It's quite annoying to go to the Ladder and search for your name every time you want to check.

As an alternative, maybe put a refresh button in the ladder? Because having to back out and re-navigate to the tier, find your name again etc. is quite annoying.

But Star! You can use Command/Ctrl + F! Shush, you.

Another suggestion. Wow, so soon, wtf? Psh, I know, silly one, I just came up with one.

/rank should show the user's position in the ladder. It's quite annoying to go to the Ladder and search for your name every time you want to check.

As an alternative, maybe put a refresh button in the ladder? Because having to back out and re-navigate to the tier, find your name again etc. is quite annoying.

But Star! You can use Command/Ctrl + F! Shush, you.
Ctrl+F is awfully overrated in searching... not to mention that I still sometimes do that in the Pokemon search.

FIX THE TIMER PLEASE
Why does the timer start to countdown??? Its just so ridiculous, 30 seconds??? really??? and the worst parte is that sometimes even when you make your move before the 30 seconds finish, showdown still makes you lose for inactivity!!!
Seriously, i dont know why does this happen, some time ago the timer was fine, if i remember well there were 120 secondIN EVERY MOMENT OF THE BATTLE and that was pretty fine. It's just horrible when you lose because of the timer just because you couldnt decide what to do in less than 30 seconds.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
it
FIX THE TIMER PLEASE
Why does the timer start to countdown??? Its just so ridiculous, 30 seconds??? really??? and the worst parte is that sometimes even when you make your move before the 30 seconds finish, showdown still makes you lose for inactivity!!!
Seriously, i dont know why does this happen, some time ago the timer was fine, if i remember well there were 120 secondIN EVERY MOMENT OF THE BATTLE and that was pretty fine. It's just horrible when you lose because of the timer just because you couldnt decide what to do in less than 30 seconds.
its just lag lol

that's lot tbh.....

and if it's the opponent who is taking forever, just wait them out on the timer.
Well, 30 seconds ITS DEFINETLY NOT a lot
what i want to say is that there's no need to make the timer reaching that ridiculously amount of time. It could be programmed to stop going down when it reaches the 60 seconds or something like that

Well, 30 seconds ITS DEFINETLY NOT a lot
what i want to say is that there's no need to make the timer reaching that ridiculously amount of time. It could be programmed to stop going down when it reaches the 60 seconds or something like that
Whats the point of the timer if it just stops?

The timer usually isn't 30 seconds anyway...
No, but if you continue to lag the time will drop from the initial timeout until it becomes less than your lag at which point you lose by default. (I've lost like this once.)

If you weren't lagging but, say, just lost track of your matches and accidentally used up all but 30 seconds, but then started playing quickly, your time will slowly creep back up again, which is nice.

kevinrocks

Still having just 30 seconds for making your move it's ridiculous
Ok how about this. Start the timer yourself, at the very beginning of the battle, so that if you are getting lagged out, you can stop the timer. This would only work if the timer resets when your opponent clicks it, which I think it may do. Either way, you get control of the timer and a few more seconds or minutes to think.

If it's possible (it probably isn't) to add Free for All's to Showdown, I think that it should be done.

I think that FFA's would be successful on Showdown because using Multi Battles as a platform for FFA's has been popular on Twitch for quite a while now, showing us that there's already a playerbase out there. FFA's on Showdown also wouldn't have the problem of one "side" being able to win together, to be unable to target certain players with certain moves, etc. Random Battle FFA is also something that could give Showdown FFA's more unique appeal.

I know that Showdown is primarily geared towards competitive play, but like Random Battle, FFA has a healthy casual appeal and can be a lot of damn fun.

Thanks for reading! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)