1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Vacate, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Tiksi

Tiksi ᏰᏝᏋᏂ ᏂᏋᏂ ᏂᏋᏂ
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Yes (particularly /userauth tabbedname) but the vast majority of regular users aren't aware of these.
    If the name color is really appalling, there's always the option to pick another name.
    SubMindRaikou likes this.
  2. Elite4Woolfy

Elite4Woolfy

If you change your name, then you lose all your ladder rankings as well. Plus, most people want their names to be the same across multiple websites
  3. A

A

You don't lose them per se, they're just stored individually on every alt. Again, the ability to change color would just lead to influx of trolls abusing them, and it can even affect regular users. It has been suggested multiple times before but it has been shot down every time.
  4. Inactive~

Inactive~ formerly Inactive User

It'd be cool if the modlog stated the poll options in addition to who made the poll (similar to the roomlog) e.g. Inactive used /poll create etc.

I think this would be neat if the poll is over and/or isn't in sight anymore.
    Phantomgenius and VAQ like this.
  5. yoryro

yoryro

More avatars maybe? New Pokemon came out, probably new sprites for characters
    SkyPhoenix likes this.
  6. SkyPhoenix

SkyPhoenix

Not sure if this has been suggested before, cause this thread is huge af. So I'm going to fire it up.
    Is it possible to implement a notification in the PM window whenever a user goes offline or gets back online, because I really can't tell until I send a PM and then the window tells me that the user is gone. I don't seem to find any option to toggle this so I assumed that this function has not be implemented yet, correct me if I'm wrong.
  7. TerrainGenerator

TerrainGenerator

I had a few UI suggestions that I think could contribute to the overall quality of Showdown.

1. Changes to Find a Battle:
    • Ability to organize list of battles by rating
    • Filter by more choices (currently 1300+ being only option)
    • Display how many turns in the battle have passed (0 can represent the lead screen, and Finished for a battle that has ended.)
    2. Consolidate the mouse over attack information:
    • Let /dt commands show the full attack information (or perhaps a new command)
    • Give moves their full information in the teambuilder when searched
    • Place a warning next to moves that are being weakened or temporarily disabled during the battles (priority in or because of Psychic Terrain, Water in Harsh Sunlight, Ground moves because of Magnet Rise, Levitate, Grassy Terrain, moves blocked by Wonder Guard, Sleep moves in Electric Terrain, etcetera.)
    3. Program a preliminary 'friends' feature:
    • Have Showdown automatically use the Find a User feature for each user on your 'friends' menu upon entering the sites
    • Have Showdown send a message to each user on your 'friends' menu upon entering any battles (unless you're spectating; probably like, "One of your friends is now battling!")
    • Have the option to disable 'friend' messages
    Overall, I think that these changes could represent a great improvement to the way that Showdown operates by adding more ways to interact, giving players better data and information that can lead to more compelling battles that are not hindered because of turns wasted through user error, and give players better ways to view battles that may help them improve their skills. I think it is academically helpful and in the spirit of Smogon, and the changes don't seem impractical or challenging to install. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment regarding your opinions.
    sumwun likes this.
  8. Lionyx

Lionyx

More avatars would imply more licensing costs, and the look of the characters from Gen 6 and 7 is slightly different than the look of the ones from Gen 4 and 5, i.e what PS is optimized for

/dt commands, as well as teambuilder descriptions, are meant to be short so they cannot exceed one line. For the last point, I guess it is up to the player to pay attention to what happens in the battle (since the cartridge games don't prevent from using said moves; and PS mostly replicates the games).

A friend system is planned by the dev team but that's not their major preoccupation
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    HoeenHero and Tiksi like this.
  9. Phantomgenius

Phantomgenius

Suggestion to allow modnotes to highlight staff members, such as if someone were to modnotes my username in a room I have staff in, and I'm in another room, it would highlight me (potentially including "/hl add, notes:" for highlights for any notes.)

Also bumping a former suggestion to add room-specific highlights for the sake of not mass highlighting people in the wrong rooms

Also wondering if from a programming perspective, would it be feasible to increase autojoin to 20 or 30 rooms? I know it's not an issue for most users but I tend to forgot my last six or so
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  10. pointgod

pointgod

I would like to bring the light the issue of profanity on Pokemon Showdown. I think it brings a negative aspect to the community, and that Pokemon Showdown should inculcate a profanity filter to create a more positive environment.

My brother, who is 10 years old, plays Pokemon showdown on a regular basis and has come into contact with individuals who use profanity often. Although Pokemon Showdown may not be the sole source of where he gets learns profane terms, I still believe that installing a filter system can only do good for this community.

Additionally, I was seeking help from a moderator, only to get sassed and pushed aside. This individual may feel like he is just hanging out with friends, but as a moderator, it is his job to act professionally. However, this is despite the point.

Although Pokemon Showdown's target audience may be teens and young adults, Pokemon is still targeted towards youth. I don't believe the allowed language is a positive influence at all.

I am seeking to instill a profanity filter to create a more positive community.

Feel free to contact me with any further questions, comments or concerns. Thank you.
  11. Semako

Semako

I've never intentionally left in the middle of a battle without clicking the forfeit button - but I lost several times "because of inactivity" after getting a disconnect. The problem is, that the disconnect countdown is way too short. Considering server lag and loading time, often the countdown has already finished when you get the disconnect warning so that you have no chance of continuing the battle. For example, using the "normal" player timer instead would grant players who don't timer-stall more time to reconnect.

PS: I dropped for more than 100 points in the rating just because of losing after a disconnect, after server lag caused me to receive the popup too late.

Also, it should be possible to report rude players so that they get banned.
    Two days ago I had an extremely rude player who called me an "ass" and other bad things. I reported him to "global staff" members (those with an @ before the name) using pms, and ´provided a link to the replay, but never got any reaction.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    sumwun likes this.
  12. Elite4Woolfy

Elite4Woolfy

Could you implement a way to reset Elo?
  13. Phantomgenius

Phantomgenius

A few suggestions (again cuz I forget them before I can post them sometimes heh)
    1. Add a way to see the results of a poll in roomlogs, as there is nothing more frustrating than making a poll, and then coming back later to find it's been ended and you don't know the results.
    2. Also allow room owners of group chats to add aliases? Perhaps not in the same way one can do /j thp and join the happy place, but maybe instead of having to type out /j groupchat-phantomgenius-example, after the roomowner makes a room, they could use a /rename [alias] so that /j groupchat-alias would work?
    3. Add a way to check line counts for users besides command searching, as this makes it harder to check lines when users have Unicode in their names, and it's impossible on mobile.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  14. OrdA

OrdA That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be.
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderator

(1) is already being done, assuming the poll isn't ended by server restart. (It's logged as raw html, which can be tricky to read. If you're a Room Owner, try doing /htmlbox and paste the poll results from the roomlogs as its argument.)
    (2) Is tricky, because aliases have to be unique and not collide with a room name. If the alias you try is already a room name it would need to give you an error message, which would leak the room if it's a private one.
    (3) If it's about a public room and you have roomauth, send me a PM. I might be able to help.
    SubMindRaikou likes this.
  15. Quantum Tesseract

Quantum Tesseract Science!

Could you expand the DQ Timer? It's way too short as is, especially as PS builds uptime. If you disconnect, it generally takes 40-50 seconds to recconnect, so you can't even click a move in the time before the timer
    sumwun likes this.
  16. sumwun

sumwun

A 150 second timer is good for single battles, where players only have to make one decision every 150 seconds. However, it's sometimes too short for doubles or triples. I may be able to get through one turn, but that turn would have taken about 90 seconds, and then the timer shortens for the rest of the battle. I think the doubles and triples timer should be 240 seconds.
    When Showdown! prompts the player to choose a target for a move, the interface says, "At who?" That isn't grammatically correct. It should say, "At whom?" Additionally, I think it should say, "At whomst?" for April fools 2017.
  17. Juloth

Juloth

I'm quite new to Pokemon Showdown but I know most of the basics, but one think I noticed was that it didn't have a fullscreen feature which is quite sad, because having it in fullscreen would be amazing. Just wanted to give a idea on maybe adding a fullscreen feature. Thanks :3
  18. Lionyx

Lionyx

What kind of fullscreen feature are you talking about ? If you refer to the battles, you can do that by zooming in, it won't prevent you from playing since PS has been optimized for that too!
    (and if you refer to making PS' site itself full screen, I'm pretty sure most browsers have a way to do that with any website)
  19. Err0r Mobutt

Err0r Mobutt

I have some suggestions.

1. Implement a more advanced find-a-user system. As of now, doing /msg [username] is just about the same as the Find-a-user function, which renders the button near useless. What I intend on is search that allows you to see all usernames (preferably all) that have the specific word mentioned in it. I can't tell you how many people I've forgotten that would benefit from this. Besides, the button is basically there for filling up space.

2. Have the option to play calming music automatically, playing whatever tune you choose. It'd slow down the server for that person, yes, but that's why I'm intending for it to be obligatory. Although it'd be not a lot more work to go to youtube, some people's internet are slow. And too many web tabs slow down a majority of computers, anyways.
  20. Tiksi

Tiksi ᏰᏝᏋᏂ ᏂᏋᏂ ᏂᏋᏂ
    is a Battle Server Moderator

If #1 is technically feasible and if its results are somehow displayed well, it seems an interesting idea to pursue. #2 just doesn't seem worth the effort, though, since it'd take a ton of new work and PS has a download client (see the "Install" button under "Play") if having multiple open tabs is a major concern. Further, since Showdown uses internet normally, the initial slowness combined with the additional slowdown you mention seem to make it further outclassed by youtube/etc.
  21. Marillium108

Marillium108

everytime i try to play a game, the oppenent will leave of forfiet. i dont mind it very much, but it happens way to often, i was thinking that maybe if somebody repeatedly cuts games short they should get some kind of penalty, because more than half the game i play i have leavers, disconnecters, and forfeiters, and its really annoying, and ruins the fun for alot of players.
  22. Brandon~

Brandon~ Talks with his hands
    is a Pre-Contributor

While I can understand your frustrations with not getting to play as many matches to the end, there's nothing in the plans to deal with this yet, and it'd likely be quite some time until it'd be considered/implemented. I'd say to just take the ladder rankings and move on to the next battle.
  23. HoeenHero

HoeenHero The misspelled Hero!
    is a Pre-Contributor

They lose points on the ladder still, so that is a penalty already.
    SubMindRaikou and Sparkychild like this.
  24. Arsenal Arceus

Arsenal Arceus

I think all public rooms should have an inbuilt staff chat meant only for staff. All rooms use stuff like Skype or Discord and it would make things more convinient
  25. Lionyx

Lionyx

Groupchats can be made to host a staff conversation; if there's an important info that everyone needs to know then using the staffintro is a way to make everyone know about it

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)