Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A Notes Tab

• Have you ever been in a battle, and you lost because of something that you forgot?
  • Has there ever been that moment where there's something that'd you like to jot down? Perhaps you're fighting a team with Zoroark, and you want to jot down its gender and item to remember if it's Zoroark.
  • Have you ever wanted to remember a specific calc mid-battle for future battles / later on in the battle?
All three of these questions prompted me to suggest this.

Here's how it works:
  • You can press a button mid-battle OR in your teambuilder to store notes. You'll have the ability to save your notes, which would be stored in your cookies as your teams are. If you do not save them, the notes will disappear after you leave a battle (and it expires!) or close your tab / window.
  • You'd be able to type a maximum of 500 characters, since notes shouldn't be essays.
  • Whenever you press the appropriate button for notes, it will load the all saved notes (they'd be clickable, so you can load them as fast your Internet wants you to) and your current one.
  • Opponents and spectators cannot see your notes, of course (unless you copy/paste them for some reason lol).
  • If you delete your cookies / clear your history, your notes will be gone because that's where they're stored!
Pros & Cons:

Pros -

• A quick, easy way to store notes about a team or game.
  • It's user friendly, and unless PS! fucks up somehow, you're safe to have your notes stored.
  • You can remember things easily.
Cons -
  • If you clear your history or whatever, your notes are long gone!
  • There are existing things like this (Notepad, Pastebin, etc.); it's just that this would be built in to PS!.
About the whole "Notepad exists!..." thing, it's built in to Showdown, so it's a bit more convenient than having to go to a completely separate tab or window.
why does this sound like some commercial or ad lmao
I see where you're coming from, but don't think myself that it would be worth implementing: not only do pastebin/notepad (and even more convenient things like piratepad) exist, but you can make pseudo-notes by pm-ing them to yourself (/w yourname, message)

Considering how many queries I see about deleted teams, I'd trust things like pastebin/ppad more for important things (these services also aren't restricted to a certain device, while PS notes would be), and don't see how PM-ing yourself and/or piratepad don't solve the convenience problem.

I get how this could be more user friendly than pm-ing yourself, but unless the button obnoxiously jumped out at you it probably would still be missed by many, and the deleted teams/cookies concerns and that-device restriction hamper the user-friendliness of such an idea further.

I know this change was to help newer players, but can pokemon showdown be more like wifi, for example, you cannont see moves your opponent has used without
scrolling up, and you have to keep track of team preview, kinda like pokemon online, where team preview isn't visible unless you type it or scroll up.

Could I suggest that, after Mega Evolving one Pokémon, instead of the mega evolution button simply disappearing for other Pokémon on the same team holding a mega stone, a message appears in the button's place explaining that one may only Mega Evolve one Pokémon per battle? I feel it'd be helpful for newer players, and with Z-Moves coming soon which have very similar mechanics, this will become much more relevant as people get used to the new game mechanics.

Can we add a Gamemode for those who want to battle better AI of the Gym Leaders and Elite Four/Champion of each generation?

Since we can filter Pokemon by tier in the teambuilder, how about having one for items/berries as well? (E.G. items/berries allowed in OU, UU, etc.) It can also apply for clauses as well, such as the Endless Battle clause.

IDK if this has been suggested yet or not but imo it'd be a good idea to be able to minimize large commands like /help trivia, huge /ds results or other such commands that take up the screen. Exiting and entering the rooms is annoying, as I then can't scroll up far to see the chat or see moderator actions.

could an addition be made to the bots to automatically redirect a person to a room of their language if it detects a language other than the language being spoken in that room?

Could it be possible to be able to "mute" certain rooms? For example, they wouldn't turn orange when people talk and you would not get HL'ed or notified by them. You could still be able to join the room and see chat and HLs normally, you just wouldn't be notified when you are HL'ed from said room (I'm only suggesting this because a certain room uses one of my HLs quite often and I don't want to leave the room, but I don't always participate in said room).

could an addition be made to the bots to automatically redirect a person to a room of their language if it detects a language other than the language being spoken in that room?
You would have to ask the bot's creator or owner to implement that feature. Personally, I'm not sure if bots are even able to detect if someone is speaking in another language.

I have a suggestion to make the guessing commands for the '/hangman create' script '/g' just since it's easier to type out than that of '/guess'.

I'd like to see more randomized metas make it to the regular selection screen as opposed to the 5 or so that are DC only. Double and Triple Hackmons, Monotype.

Random allows us to have so much more fun.

How difficult would it be to implement an Spa IV drop, like the Atk one; ei, only when you don't have special attacks? It wouldn't often be useful, but a 0 Spa physical attacker is strictly superior to a 31 Spa one in the event of power split. It's really niche, but I can't think of any disadvantage (its not like attack which boosts struggle)

Last edited:
Mobile replay site

Hi. I would like to show you guys two rough mockups of a possibly mobile-friendly version of the replay site.
Ignore the colors.
showdownreplay-mobile.png

I am starting with the compact, older phones, to do what they call progressive enhancement. Progressive enhancement is when you take the lowest extreme of your target (example, the iPhone 4, which few even use), then gradually add on from there on each step, as you can see from the widescreen phone.
The landscape mode would literally just be the battle scene as is, full screen, with a few overlaying autohiding controls (think YouTube app).

On really tall screens (a.k.a. someone put the browser in a split screen and dragged it to the side), chat will show on the bottom.

On phablets and tablets in portrait, the normal battle layout (with the Trainers on the sides) will show with a chat at the bottom. A (wild) bar appears on the top of the chat to expand it to full screen.

Other tablet layouts coming soon.
As long as the battle view can be adapted to work with the smaller screen, I could possibly build out the layout, but it will take a while because I don't have much free time.

Is anyone interested?

Last edited:
Hey! Before I post my suggestion: Everyday PS! is getting better and better. Keep up the good work!

My suggestion:

I'm playing a lot of PS! on my mobile phone. On the PC, you have the option to see the current HP of each Pokémon by hovering the mouse over a Pokémon sprite on the right or left side of the screen (where the Pokeballs are). Can you implement this for the mobile website, too? I know, hovering is not possible with a Smartphone, but you could solve this problem in a similar way like in previous cases. Pressing it for 1 second or something, so it will show the current HP Stat.

Thank you for hearing me out. :)

Regards,
Eckleburg

iloveleague: Ur a programmer right?
OrdA-Y: y
iloveleague: Can i make a suggestion for thr teambuilder
OrdA-Y: sure
iloveleague: The newest change to the teambuilder made it rlly hard to use
iloveleague: If u could go back to the way it was
iloveleague: With new mons in ou
iloveleague: And all the old mons in oras tiers
iloveleague: It would help a lot
iloveleague: Even if you could search by the term "ou" that would help
OrdA-Y: hmm
iloveleague: I know that there are no lowtiers but its so hard to use rn
OrdA-Y: so you want temporary categories like "previously UU"?
OrdA-Y: because tiers don't exist rn
OrdA-Y: you can post in «suggestions»
iloveleague: Yup

People, you MUST include Hypnosis on the list of useful moves for Darkrai, and remove Dark Void. Hypnosis is now his most acurate sleep inducing move after the absurd accuracy nerf to Dark Void.

Can you add a chart below your Pokemon list after you select your team that shows what types you need coverage for and what types you are strong against. Preferably, (though not necessary,) you could also add a Pokemon threat list and maybe even suggestions for your team.

Luna

journey before destination
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if this is the right place to ask it, but I think we could use some new aliases. (aka !dt alias)
  • For example ''koko'' for Tapu Koko, ''fini'' for Tapu Fini and also for the others Tapus.
  • Maybe ''robingroot'' for Decidueye. I mean, ''ohmagod'' is kinda the other name of Plasmanta, same to Decidueye. Not a big thing, though.
  • Some like ''empo'' for Empoleon, ''quag'' for Quagsire, ''stout'' for Stoutland, that should exist (I could gather some of them maybe).
  • Maybe ''darkally'' for Silvally? We could follow the pattern of Arceus - ''darkceus, dragonceus'' and do it with Silvally too (I even did a list with the Silvally's ones).
  • For items, maybe ''primarium'' for Primarium Z and do all the others Z-Crystals? (Well, did a list of them too). Something like ''extender'' for Terrain Extender also.
  • And, of course, ''trump'' for Gumshoos.
I know this obviously isn't top priority right now, but it's something nice.

inactive

In a Movie Scene~
is a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know if this is the right place to ask it, but I think we could use some new aliases. (aka !dt alias)
  • For example ''koko'' for Tapu Koko, ''fini'' for Tapu Fini and also for the others Tapus.
  • Maybe ''robingroot'' for Decidueye. I mean, ''ohmagod'' is kinda the other name of Plasmanta, same to Decidueye. Not a big thing, though.
  • Some like ''empo'' for Empoleon, ''quag'' for Quagsire, ''stout'' for Stoutland, that should exist (I could gather some of them maybe).
  • Maybe ''darkally'' for Silvally? We could follow the pattern of Arceus - ''darkceus, dragonceus'' and do it with Silvally too (I even did a list with the Silvally's ones).
  • For items, maybe ''primarium'' for Primarium Z and do all the others Z-Crystals? (Well, did a list of them too). Something like ''extender'' for Terrain Extender also.
  • And, of course, ''trump'' for Gumshoos.
I know this obviously isn't top priority right now, but it's something nice.
Gen 7 aliases will likely be added soon, though it probably could take some time with most of it in beta at the moment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)