Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, my suggestion is: Review the status of pokemons of the ancient generations. there are great and important pokemons with very bad status and skills. Exemple: Onix (Vary bad Status), Blastoise (Not Mega), Golen (powerful and cool pokemon forgotten) Pidgeot among others icons of the past. I would think it cool Thick Fat, Mega Launcher and No guard to normal Venosaur, Blastoise and Pidgeot Folks I'm sorry if I'm wrong. This is my first suggestion as a big fan of the first generation of Pokémon.
Have patience if I said something stupid. See you later.

Last edited:
Other exemple is: Persian (normal), aslo very cool pokemon, and have status very bad and bad attacks.
Review these classic characters will give life to the game.
Most pokemon trainers use the same pokemon even having a multitude of options and combinations.

pants

*dies inconveniently*
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suggestion to add an exclusion format to modlog, like there is for /ds and /ms. For example, /modlog ![phrase] would display the last 20 moderator actions that exclude said phrase. This would make it easier to check modlog for relevant information in rooms where bot modnotes and other actions that occur fairly regularly (for example, hosting in Survivor) tend to clog up modlog.

Also suggestion to add highlights in HTML for aesthetic reasons, if that is possible.

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Suggestion to add a generation parameter to movesearch, preferably similar to dexsearch's function of /ds gen [#]. Though this is a minor piece and doesn't make a drastic difference, it would make it easier to locate moves based on generation introduction. This is more geared towards accessibility for certain PS! rooms, though I do feel it could be useful site-wide.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi folks, my suggestion is: Review the status of pokemons of the ancient generations. there are great and important pokemons with very bad status and skills. Exemple: Onix (Vary bad Status), Blastoise (Not Mega), Golen (powerful and cool pokemon forgotten) Pidgeot among others icons of the past. I would think it cool Thick Fat, Mega Launcher and No guard to normal Venosaur, Blastoise and Pidgeot Folks I'm sorry if I'm wrong. This is my first suggestion as a big fan of the first generation of Pokémon.
Have patience if I said something stupid. See you later.
If you're recommending that we give non-Mega-Evolved Pokemon the abilities of their Mega Evolutions, that's outside of our power; that's Gamefreak's decision (and one they don't seem to have planned).

Last edited by a moderator:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
long ago i suggested that we be given a way to block pms+challenges from a specific user w/o completely ignoring them(in room chat) idk what happened about that :[

new suggestion is to somehow be able to check poll results(from modlog) long after they've been ended. it's a shame to make a poll and go to sleep and wake up to find it's ended, but never know the results of it

We purposefully don't have this to prevent people from impersonating staff (by making names very similar to theirs and using their name color).
There are a variety of ways to make sure that person is not actually a staff member
Plus, I and many other people probably want a name color other than ugly blue

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are a variety of ways to make sure that person is not actually a staff member
Plus, I and many other people probably want a name color other than ugly blue
Yes (particularly /userauth tabbedname) but the vast majority of regular users aren't aware of these.
If the name color is really appalling, there's always the option to pick another name.

Yes (particularly /userauth tabbedname) but the vast majority of regular users aren't aware of these.
If the name color is really appalling, there's always the option to pick another name.
If you change your name, then you lose all your ladder rankings as well. Plus, most people want their names to be the same across multiple websites

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If you change your name, then you lose all your ladder rankings as well. Plus, most people want their names to be the same across multiple websites
You don't lose them per se, they're just stored individually on every alt. Again, the ability to change color would just lead to influx of trolls abusing them, and it can even affect regular users. It has been suggested multiple times before but it has been shot down every time.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this has been suggested before, cause this thread is huge af. So I'm going to fire it up.
Is it possible to implement a notification in the PM window whenever a user goes offline or gets back online, because I really can't tell until I send a PM and then the window tells me that the user is gone. I don't seem to find any option to toggle this so I assumed that this function has not be implemented yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

I had a few UI suggestions that I think could contribute to the overall quality of Showdown.

1. Changes to Find a Battle:
  • Ability to organize list of battles by rating
  • Filter by more choices (currently 1300+ being only option)
  • Display how many turns in the battle have passed (0 can represent the lead screen, and Finished for a battle that has ended.)
2. Consolidate the mouse over attack information:
  • Let /dt commands show the full attack information (or perhaps a new command)
  • Give moves their full information in the teambuilder when searched
  • Place a warning next to moves that are being weakened or temporarily disabled during the battles (priority in or because of Psychic Terrain, Water in Harsh Sunlight, Ground moves because of Magnet Rise, Levitate, Grassy Terrain, moves blocked by Wonder Guard, Sleep moves in Electric Terrain, etcetera.)
3. Program a preliminary 'friends' feature:
  • Have Showdown automatically use the Find a User feature for each user on your 'friends' menu upon entering the sites
  • Have Showdown send a message to each user on your 'friends' menu upon entering any battles (unless you're spectating; probably like, "One of your friends is now battling!")
  • Have the option to disable 'friend' messages
Overall, I think that these changes could represent a great improvement to the way that Showdown operates by adding more ways to interact, giving players better data and information that can lead to more compelling battles that are not hindered because of turns wasted through user error, and give players better ways to view battles that may help them improve their skills. I think it is academically helpful and in the spirit of Smogon, and the changes don't seem impractical or challenging to install. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment regarding your opinions.

Lionyx

メラミ
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
More avatars maybe? New Pokemon came out, probably new sprites for characters
More avatars would imply more licensing costs, and the look of the characters from Gen 6 and 7 is slightly different than the look of the ones from Gen 4 and 5, i.e what PS is optimized for

2. Consolidate the mouse over attack information:
  • Let /dt commands show the full attack information (or perhaps a new command)
  • Give moves their full information in the teambuilder when searched
  • Place a warning next to moves that are being weakened or temporarily disabled during the battles (priority in or because of Psychic Terrain, Water in Harsh Sunlight, Ground moves because of Magnet Rise, Levitate, Grassy Terrain, moves blocked by Wonder Guard, Sleep moves in Electric Terrain, etcetera.)
/dt commands, as well as teambuilder descriptions, are meant to be short so they cannot exceed one line. For the last point, I guess it is up to the player to pay attention to what happens in the battle (since the cartridge games don't prevent from using said moves; and PS mostly replicates the games).

3. Program a preliminary 'friends' feature:
  • Have Showdown automatically use the Find a User feature for each user on your 'friends' menu upon entering the sites
  • Have Showdown send a message to each user on your 'friends' menu upon entering any battles (unless you're spectating; probably like, "One of your friends is now battling!")
  • Have the option to disable 'friend' messages
A friend system is planned by the dev team but that's not their major preoccupation

Last edited:

pants

*dies inconveniently*
Suggestion to allow modnotes to highlight staff members, such as if someone were to modnotes my username in a room I have staff in, and I'm in another room, it would highlight me (potentially including "/hl add, notes:" for highlights for any notes.)

Also bumping a former suggestion to add room-specific highlights for the sake of not mass highlighting people in the wrong rooms

Also wondering if from a programming perspective, would it be feasible to increase autojoin to 20 or 30 rooms? I know it's not an issue for most users but I tend to forgot my last six or so

Last edited:
I would like to bring the light the issue of profanity on Pokemon Showdown. I think it brings a negative aspect to the community, and that Pokemon Showdown should inculcate a profanity filter to create a more positive environment.

My brother, who is 10 years old, plays Pokemon showdown on a regular basis and has come into contact with individuals who use profanity often. Although Pokemon Showdown may not be the sole source of where he gets learns profane terms, I still believe that installing a filter system can only do good for this community.

Additionally, I was seeking help from a moderator, only to get sassed and pushed aside. This individual may feel like he is just hanging out with friends, but as a moderator, it is his job to act professionally. However, this is despite the point.

Although Pokemon Showdown's target audience may be teens and young adults, Pokemon is still targeted towards youth. I don't believe the allowed language is a positive influence at all.

I am seeking to instill a profanity filter to create a more positive community.

Feel free to contact me with any further questions, comments or concerns. Thank you.

I've never intentionally left in the middle of a battle without clicking the forfeit button - but I lost several times "because of inactivity" after getting a disconnect. The problem is, that the disconnect countdown is way too short. Considering server lag and loading time, often the countdown has already finished when you get the disconnect warning so that you have no chance of continuing the battle. For example, using the "normal" player timer instead would grant players who don't timer-stall more time to reconnect.

PS: I dropped for more than 100 points in the rating just because of losing after a disconnect, after server lag caused me to receive the popup too late.

Also, it should be possible to report rude players so that they get banned.
Two days ago I had an extremely rude player who called me an "ass" and other bad things. I reported him to "global staff" members (those with an @ before the name) using pms, and ´provided a link to the replay, but never got any reaction.

Last edited:

pants

*dies inconveniently*
A few suggestions (again cuz I forget them before I can post them sometimes heh)
1. Add a way to see the results of a poll in roomlogs, as there is nothing more frustrating than making a poll, and then coming back later to find it's been ended and you don't know the results.
2. Also allow room owners of group chats to add aliases? Perhaps not in the same way one can do /j thp and join the happy place, but maybe instead of having to type out /j groupchat-phantomgenius-example, after the roomowner makes a room, they could use a /rename [alias] so that /j groupchat-alias would work?
3. Add a way to check line counts for users besides command searching, as this makes it harder to check lines when users have Unicode in their names, and it's impossible on mobile.

Last edited:
A few suggestions
(1) is already being done, assuming the poll isn't ended by server restart. (It's logged as raw html, which can be tricky to read. If you're a Room Owner, try doing /htmlbox and paste the poll results from the roomlogs as its argument.)
(2) Is tricky, because aliases have to be unique and not collide with a room name. If the alias you try is already a room name it would need to give you an error message, which would leak the room if it's a private one.
(3) If it's about a public room and you have roomauth, send me a PM. I might be able to help.

Could you expand the DQ Timer? It's way too short as is, especially as PS builds uptime. If you disconnect, it generally takes 40-50 seconds to recconnect, so you can't even click a move in the time before the timer

A 150 second timer is good for single battles, where players only have to make one decision every 150 seconds. However, it's sometimes too short for doubles or triples. I may be able to get through one turn, but that turn would have taken about 90 seconds, and then the timer shortens for the rest of the battle. I think the doubles and triples timer should be 240 seconds.
When Showdown! prompts the player to choose a target for a move, the interface says, "At who?" That isn't grammatically correct. It should say, "At whom?" Additionally, I think it should say, "At whomst?" for April fools 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)