ORAS OU Suicune and Ferrothorn Core

Hello! Welcome to my first RMT! This team is built around Calm Mind Suicune and SpDef Ferrothorn. Keep in mind I'm fairly new to competitive (I don't even know what style of team this is, that's how bad I am! Lol). Anyways, let's get into the team!

THE TEAM

suicune.gif

North Wind (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Ability: Pressure
Bold Nature
Moves:
Scald
Calm Mind
Rest
Sleep Talk

Good Ol' Suicune. I heard horror stories from my friend about CroCune, and it lives up to it all. This Suicune is here to be extremely bulky and set up once its threats like Water Absorb mons and grass types are gone. Scald is for stab coverage, while having the incredible chance to burn. Calm Mind is to set up and let Suicune potentially sweep. It also helps with special bulk. Rest is for (kinda) reliable recovery, as it is Suicune's only source of recovery outside of lefties. Sleep Talk is there so Suicune isn't completely useless while resting. The EV spread is to make Suicune as physically bulky as possible, while out speeding standard rotom-w. Overall, I love Suicune in OU, and I'm glad to use it on the team.

ferrothorn.gif

Nigel (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpDef
IVs: 0 Spe
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy Nature
Moves:
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn has great synergy with Suicune, with Ferrothorn taking the grass and electric moves that Suicune is scared of. It also clears most water absorb mons, like gastrodon and seismitoad. Gyro ball can destroy faster threats, even with on attack investment. Leech Seed is for extra recovery, and can potentially help teammates if ferro swaps. Power whip can hit threats like mega gyarados, quag, gastrodon, and hippo. Stealth Rock is to provide support for teammates by dealing chip damage on switch in. The EV spread allows ferro to live hyper voice + focus blast from Mega Gardevoir, and tank 2 +3 ice beams from manaphy.

latias.gif

Latina (Latias) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Defog
Healing Wish

Latias completes the core of ferro + cune. Latias beats the two main things that beat the core: Fighting types and Volcanion. Unless volc runs HP ice, it can't do very much to latias, and Draco OHKO's after rocks (with no HP investment, volc will need at least 148 to have a chance to live). I chose latias over her blue brother, Latios, because while Latios hits harder, and will 100% OHKO volc after rocks, I like latias's healing wish support for the team, as it can give Suicune a second chance without making it use rest. Draco can also nuke other non-resisted targets, even bulkier mons like Hippo and Bro. Psyshock hits the fighting types that beat the core, along with fairies. Defog is to remove hazards. Healing Wish, as explained above, can give a team member a second Chance. The EV spread is to ensure that latias survives 2 HP ices from thundy.

thundurus.gif

Zeus (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpAtk / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
Ability: Defiant
Naive Nature
Moves:
Knock Off
Thunderbolt
Superpower
Hidden Power Ice

This is my mixed breaker of the team. My team is also pretty weak to Chansey, so if Chansey wants to come in on thundy and I predict it, the eviolite is gone. Once the eviolite is gone, I can kill it with a superpower. Knock off can be used for other mons to remove their items. Superpower can OHKO TTar, but I need to watch out for a potential scarf, as stone edge OHKO's me in return. Thunderbolt is a no drawback move that gives thundy a power STAB move. Hidden Power Ice means I can hit ground types like gliscor, hippo, Lando, and chomp. The EV spread allows me to OHKO Latios with knock off after rocks, while still letting thundy hit hard specially too.

scizor-mega.gif

Tinsect (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpDef
Ability: Light Metal (Pre-Mega) -> Technician (Post-Mega)
Impish Nature
Moves:
Bullet Punch
U-Turn
Swords Dance
Roost

Nice and standard bulky SD Scizor. This mega fits well on my team, as it can work as an early game pivot, and a late game cleaner with SD. Bullet Punch is a great priority move with STAB and a technician boost. It makes up for scizor's lacking speed. U-Turn, as said before, can be used early game as a pivot, and while it seems redundant to have SD and U-Turn on the same set, if I need to U-Turn out, then I shouldnt be set up anyways, since BP won't get the job done. Roost provides reliable recovery for Scizor. SD, as mentioned, turn him into a dangerous late game cleaner. If you haven't seen the set on Smogon.com, then here's an explanation of the EVs. 248 HP + 16 Def means Scizor can take 2 Adamant EQs from Lando-T. 200 in SpDef means that he's never OHKO'd by Clef's fire blast, never OHKO'd by Timid M-Diancie HP Fire, and never 2HKO'd by M-Gardevoir's Focus Blast. Also, he's never KO'd by Draco + -2 HP Fire by Latios. The rest of the EVs are put into attack, for more firepower.

landorus-therian (1).gif

Gaia (Landorus-T) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Moves:
U-Turn
Earthquake
Knock Off
Stone Edge

The last member of the squad is Scarfed Lando. Super nice to have on almost any team. U-Turn to gain or keep momentum. Earthquake for a very powerful STAB move, that can hit very hard. Knock Off can remove important items like chansey's eviolite, DNite's Band/Lum/Weakness Policy, and many others. Stone Edge to hit things like talonflame, Dnite, and other levitaters/flyers. Overall, just a super solid mon, and a good wrap up to the team.

THE THREATS

gyarados-mega.gif

Mega Gyarados is by far the biggest threat IMO, as it can easily sweep unless I get a scald burn with Suicune. My other way is to U-Turn in and out between Scizor and Lando.

kyurem-black.gif

Scarfed Kyurem-b can demolish my team, as it has super effective coverage on my whole team besides Ferro.

raikou.gif manectric-mega.gif thundurus.gif

Fast Electrics, especially Mane, destroy my team. Like, I have no switch in if they play right.

Replays: (I'll add more when I remember to save replays :])
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-402898724 (Shows off what Suicune can do)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-402964272 (Suicune's late game ability + revamped team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-403196694 (Revamped team...again. Most of these replays will be with newer teams, due to the amount of suggestions in the comments. Thanks)

(P.S., I won't be changing Suicune. Ill take suggestions for the whole rest of the team, but not Suicune. But, you can suggest to change the Suicune set, but not Suicune its self. Thanks.)

Thanks for checking out the team! Please leave some feedback if you can!

Last edited:
Pretty cool team ya got there and it definitely has a defensive approach when looking at it but there are still some things i would like to point out.

Ferrothorn,it should run protect over gyro ball since you already have mega scizor and protect is great way to gain recover and at the same time cripple the opponent.Thats all for this pokemon though.

Suicune,i saw the 20 speed on it so im just curios as to what it is for.A lso i highly suggest roar over sleep talk as it can stop pokemon from using it as set up bait.

Latias,this pokemon i would change roost over defog,and im not going to leave you hanging without hazard support don't worry i got ya covered,r oost also helps it to switch into keldeo a lot more times so suicune doesn't have ti take the hit.

Thundurus,this one i honestly would just change to a speacial defensive zapdos and the reason why thundy is changed is so you can actually be able to hit mega scizor and ferrothorn only problem with it though is that your using a pokemon that has hazard support but is weak to stealth rocks,which i guess is ok,volt switch,heat wave,defog,toxic should be the set to use to make a great volt turn combo with landorus hit ferrothorn and scizor effectively have hazard support and be able to weaken incoming hipoowdons or landorus for landorus(your teammate sorry if theres any confusion lol).An ev spread of 248 hp 64 defense 180 speacial defense and 16 speed is ideal for zapdos so it can outspeed adamant bisharp avoid the 2 hit ko from pinsirs return after rocks and be able to check threats like keldeo gengar ect,leftovers is the item of choice so it gain constant recovery each turn.

Thats all for my rmt anf i hope it helped a lot :)) .

Pretty cool team ya got there and it definitely has a defensive approach when looking at it but there are still some things i would like to point out.

Ferrothorn,it should run protect over gyro ball since you already have mega scizor and protect is great way to gain recover and at the same time cripple the opponent.Thats all for this pokemon though.

Suicune,i saw the 20 speed on it so im just curios as to what it is for.A lso i highly suggest roar over sleep talk as it can stop pokemon from using it as set up bait.

Latias,this pokemon i would change roost over defog,and im not going to leave you hanging without hazard support don't worry i got ya covered,r oost also helps it to switch into keldeo a lot more times so suicune doesn't have ti take the hit.

Thundurus,this one i honestly would just change to a speacial defensive zapdos and the reason why thundy is changed is so you can actually be able to hit mega scizor and ferrothorn only problem with it though is that your using a pokemon that has hazard support but is weak to stealth rocks,which i guess is ok,volt switch,heat wave,defog,toxic should be the set to use to make a great volt turn combo with landorus hit ferrothorn and scizor effectively have hazard support and be able to weaken incoming hipoowdons or landorus for landorus(your teammate sorry if theres any confusion lol).An ev spread of 248 hp 64 defense 180 speacial defense and 16 speed is ideal for zapdos so it can outspeed adamant bisharp avoid the 2 hit ko from pinsirs return after rocks and be able to check threats like keldeo gengar ect,leftovers is the item of choice so it gain constant recovery each turn.

Thanks man! Definitely appreciate the feedback. I like the protect over gyro ball on Ferro. The speed on Suicune is to out speed standard rotom-w so I can potentially calm mind on his volt if I need to. I was considering roost over defog for a while, and I'll make that change. Also, I prefer sleep talk on cune so I'm not completely passive while asleep. I might experiment with roar. I'll also experiment with zap. Thanks again man.

Thanks man! Definitely appreciate the feedback. I like the protect over gyro ball on Ferro. The speed on Suicune is to out speed standard rotom-w so I can potentially calm mind on his volt if I need to. I was considering roost over defog for a while, and I'll make that change. Also, I prefer sleep talk on cune so I'm not completely passive while asleep. I might experiment with roar. I'll also experiment with zap. Thanks again man.
Np bro.

(Sorry to keep posting) Also, what about roost on zapdos?

Hi! You have a nice team, Suicune doesn't get the usage that it deserves imo so it's nice to see someone using it.

When it comes to the team, you don't need Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, it makes you really weak to Magnezone cores and they pretty much check the same things, the only difference is that Ferrothorn can take care of bulky water types and Scizor is better at taking care of fairy types like M-Gardevoir, M-Diancie and Clefable (if they don't have fire coverage). M-Charizard X can be a problem, it sets up on half of your team and at +1 it does a lot of damage to it, your only real check is Scarf Landorus which isn't that good since it can't outspeed +1 Zard and takes a lot from Flare Blitz, Suicune can lose to it if you don't play carefully. Clefable can be an issue too, it can stall Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball until you can't touch it, your only good answer to it is M-Scizor which can be pressured if Clefable has Flamethrower since it doesn't take much from an unboosted Bullet Punch and I don't think that risking Calm Mind wars with Suicune is reliable.

Heatran >
Ferrothorn:
Like I said before, Ferrothorn and M-Scizor together aren't that great, it stacks weaknesses and doesn't help the team. Heatran was a good option here, you still have Stealth Rock support and it gives you another check to Clefable, Toxic helps you wear down bulky water types like Slowbro and Rotom-W so that way Suicune has an easier time setting up on them. Taunt is there to stop Clefable from setting up and it prevents mons like Chansey from recovering. I recommend using a standard spread of Max HP and Max Speed with a Timid Nature to outspeed Max Speed M-Scizor and M-Heracross.

Clefable >
Thundurus:
I felt like Thundurus didn't fit in your team, it looks like a Balance oriented team and Thundurus is supposed to be on offensive teams. Clefable was a nice option here, it completes the Dragon, Fairy and Steel core and it helps your matchup vs stall, it's also a nice status absorber and a check to Rotom-W since it was annoying to deal with before. A simple spread of Max HP and Max Defense with a Bold Nature is what I recommend you to use, it gives you a switchin to Adamant M-Heracross and M-Medicham without Zen Headbutt, two powerful wallbreakers that were annoying for your team since they did a lot of damage everytime they got a free switchin. The standard set with Calm Mind, Moonblast and Softboiled is fine here, but as the last move I would recommend using Knock Off for the main reason as Thundurus, it lures Chansey and it gets rid of the item, making it easier to deal with, same scenario vs opposing Heatrans.

Roar > Sleep Talk
: Roar on Suicune is one of the best moves it can use in OU, it lets him beat other Calm Mind users like Slowbro and Clefable and it stops mons like M-Gyarados, M-Scizor and M-Charizard X from sweeping without relying on a burn. I understand that you wanted Sleep Talk because you didn't want Suicune to be useless when it decides to Rest but your team benefits from Roar for the reasons mentioned before.
Roost > Healing Wish:
You said that Electric types were a problem to your team, this issue is easily fixed with Roost on Latias, it already switches into electric types thanks to her bulk and Roost is there for longevity so that it can switch into them without problems. On a team like this I don't think you need Healing Wish since half of your team already has reliable recovery, that move fits more on offensive teams that have win conditions without recovery like BD Azumarill, M-Gyarados, etc.

That's it for my rate, as you can see your team looks more defensive now without Thundurus, this is fine since like I said before your team was looking like a Balance team with a random offensive mon. Now you have more ways to pressure Suicune's checks like bulky water types and you have a switchin to common wallbreakers. Your stall matchup also improved, now you have a status absorber and something to beat M-Sableye. When it comes to Kyurem-B, Clefable and M-Scizor should be enough to beat any variant of it. I hope you like the changes, have fun with the team!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Ferrothorn has great synergy with Suicune, with Ferrothorn taking the grass and electric moves that Suicune is scared of. It also clears most water absorb mons, like gastrodon and seismitoad. Gyro ball can destroy faster threats, even with on attack investment. Leech Seed is for extra recovery, and can potentially help teammates if ferro swaps. Power whip can hit threats like mega SWAMPERT, quag, gastrodon, and hippo. Stealth Rock is to provide support for teammates by dealing chip damage on switch in. The EV spread allows ferro to live hyper voice + focus blast from Mega Gardevoir, and tank 2 +3 ice beams from manaphy.

What about ya boi, Arm Day? Isn't he more of a threat?

Anyway if electric types are really that much of a threat, then why not add a ground type who isn't bad against ice like
or a fake spinning since you have a defogger
(with a switch to latias-mega) >

or maybe even try
you know? I think he'll work fine. I heard he's a strong mon... pretty good for you're team.. give him a try... it'll work... trust me!

Hi! You have a nice team, Suicune doesn't get the usage that it deserves imo so it's nice to see someone using it.

When it comes to the team, you don't need Ferrothorn and M-Scizor, it makes you really weak to Magnezone cores and they pretty much check the same things, the only difference is that Ferrothorn can take care of bulky water types and Scizor is better at taking care of fairy types like M-Gardevoir, M-Diancie and Clefable (if they don't have fire coverage). M-Charizard X can be a problem, it sets up on half of your team and at +1 it does a lot of damage to it, your only real check is Scarf Landorus which isn't that good since it can't outspeed +1 Zard and takes a lot from Flare Blitz, Suicune can lose to it if you don't play carefully. Clefable can be an issue too, it can stall Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball until you can't touch it, your only good answer to it is M-Scizor which can be pressured if Clefable has Flamethrower since it doesn't take much from an unboosted Bullet Punch and I don't think that risking Calm Mind wars with Suicune is reliable.

Heatran >
Ferrothorn:
Like I said before, Ferrothorn and M-Scizor together aren't that great, it stacks weaknesses and doesn't help the team. Heatran was a good option here, you still have Stealth Rock support and it gives you another check to Clefable, Toxic helps you wear down bulky water types like Slowbro and Rotom-W so that way Suicune has an easier time setting up on them. Taunt is there to stop Clefable from setting up and it prevents mons like Chansey from recovering. I recommend using a standard spread of Max HP and Max Speed with a Timid Nature to outspeed Max Speed M-Scizor and M-Heracross.

Clefable >
Thundurus:
I felt like Thundurus didn't fit in your team, it looks like a Balance oriented team and Thundurus is supposed to be on offensive teams. Clefable was a nice option here, it completes the Dragon, Fairy and Steel core and it helps your matchup vs stall, it's also a nice status absorber and a check to Rotom-W since it was annoying to deal with before. A simple spread of Max HP and Max Defense with a Bold Nature is what I recommend you to use, it gives you a switchin to Adamant M-Heracross and M-Medicham without Zen Headbutt, two powerful wallbreakers that were annoying for your team since they did a lot of damage everytime they got a free switchin. The standard set with Calm Mind, Moonblast and Softboiled is fine here, but as the last move I would recommend using Knock Off for the main reason as Thundurus, it lures Chansey and it gets rid of the item, making it easier to deal with, same scenario vs opposing Heatrans.

Roar > Sleep Talk
: Roar on Suicune is one of the best moves it can use in OU, it lets him beat other Calm Mind users like Slowbro and Clefable and it stops mons like M-Gyarados, M-Scizor and M-Charizard X from sweeping without relying on a burn. I understand that you wanted Sleep Talk because you didn't want Suicune to be useless when it decides to Rest but your team benefits from Roar for the reasons mentioned before.
Roost > Healing Wish:
You said that Electric types were a problem to your team, this issue is easily fixed with Roost on Latias, it already switches into electric types thanks to her bulk and Roost is there for longevity so that it can switch into them without problems. On a team like this I don't think you need Healing Wish since half of your team already has reliable recovery, that move fits more on offensive teams that have win conditions without recovery like BD Azumarill, M-Gyarados, etc.

That's it for my rate, as you can see your team looks more defensive now without Thundurus, this is fine since like I said before your team was looking like a Balance team with a random offensive mon. Now you have more ways to pressure Suicune's checks like bulky water types and you have a switchin to common wallbreakers. Your stall matchup also improved, now you have a status absorber and something to beat M-Sableye. When it comes to Kyurem-B, Clefable and M-Scizor should be enough to beat any variant of it. I hope you like the changes, have fun with the team!

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar
- Calm Mind

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog
Thanks for the rate man! Starting from the top, heatran seems like a nice option, and I'll definitely run that. Ferro + Scizor seemed odd to me as well, so I'm glad you helped with that. As for thundy, I already replaced that, just forgot to update it. I replaced it with SpDef zapdos, but I'll try clef too. Roar on Suicune was something I was considering. I'll definitely try it out. Lastly, since I have zap as a defogger, I got rid of defog on latias for roost, and kept defog. But when I run clef, I'll run roost+defog. Thanks again man!

What about ya boi, Arm Day? Isn't he more of a threat?

Anyway if electric types are really that much of a threat, then why not add a ground type who isn't bad against ice like
or a fake spinning since you have a defogger
(with a switch to latias-mega) >

or maybe even try
you know? I think he'll work fine. I heard he's a strong mon... pretty good for you're team.. give him a try... it'll work... trust me!
Yo I didn't even think about groudon... Lol anyways I can consider m-latias + drill. Or even swampert maybe. Thanks tho! (P.S. I forgot about swampert LOL.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)