Summon the Perfect Storm!- Play! Pokemon article on FL Regional Master Winner

chup, most people are now going to expect EXACTLY that strategy. I would suggest something else with elek. and gengar, and excadrill shouldn't even be allowed in my opinion. its uber.

Hay this is something they had on the site. Excadrill is Ubers for single. Hitmontop's HUGE popularity keeps it from being insanely unfair in doubles. And Eelektross and Gengar are cool things to help with the quake spamming. I see no very solid counter to trick room on the team tho.... heeheehee.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Excadrill is usually not the greatest option due to how easy it is to change up the weather and being weak weak to the most common attack types in the game so I don't know why you'd call it Uber. This isn't Singles and even the article calls out how different Doubles is from Singles. It's nice that they did Florida as we have so little information on that regional!

I would still think it to be a key part of most sandstorm teams for the great power, and great speed in sandstorm. I wonder if they will end up doing all of the winner's teams by the next Regionals? I would be surprised but meh all the same

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
My friend tested a few sand teams and said Excadrill is really not that good. It's not as obscenely powerful without Swords Dance, it's hard to use Earthquake unless your team is built around it, other weather teams are common, it's weak to most of the common spread moves, and Mach Punch is all over the place.

Aww, I was hoping they would do one for me =/ I guess this guy's strategy is more obvious (4 pokemon that very clearly benefit from sandstorm) and easy to understand.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
cool to see some masters division teams, looking forward to them doing some more!

this seems like a pretty basic sand team, and it's cool to get some info from florida

Very basic sand team, interesting Gengar and Eelektross. I'm impressed it didn't lose to Rain or Hail - no Pokemon on the team resists Surf or Blizzard.

Very basic sand team, interesting Gengar and Eelektross. I'm impressed it didn't lose to Rain or Hail - no Pokemon on the team resists Surf or Blizzard.
Honestly, I'm not sure how much weather other than sand was at FL. I saw no weather teams other than sand. I know the player who got 5th used sun, but that's only because I made his team lol. Not hating, imo article should've been on moxie, who had a much more impressive team.

The articles are first all based off winner's teams. Grafton had a combination of the previous two teams that were anaylzed, which were Rain and Goodstuff, which was why his team was probably chosen.

Honestly, I'm not sure how much weather other than sand was at FL. I saw no weather teams other than sand. I know the player who got 5th used sun, but that's only because I made his team lol. Not hating, imo article should've been on moxie, who had a much more impressive team.
Based on my personal match-ups, I'd agree with you. I was paired up against three sand teams and one sun (I ran rain).

It's really nice to see some official recognition of strategies though. I think these articles could be very helpful to newcomers who are unfamiliar with double battles or the online Pokémon community in setting up a competitive team.

However, like others have said, IVs and especially EVs should be better explained. I hope that these first three articles are just setting the foundation for more detailed analyses in the future.

I don't see how a basic rain team can't plough through that. Eelektross should have been physical imo, with Acrobatics for Ludicolo.
And the comments on EVs were very patronizing. I mean, true, a lot of people have no clue what they are or anything else about them, but that's what the internet's for, right?

And the comments on EVs were very patronizing. I mean, true, a lot of people have no clue what they are or anything else about them, but that's what the internet's for, right?
I really don't see how that's being patronizing. EVs are an important part of competitive battle strategy, and so far any explanation of them on the official website has been vague at best.

I'm not saying that people aren't smart enough to use Google, I'm saying that they shouldn't have to.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really don't see how that's being patronizing. EVs are an important part of competitive battle strategy, and so far any explanation of them on the official website has been vague at best.

I'm not saying that people aren't smart enough to use Google, I'm saying that they shouldn't have to.
I think he meant that the way the article went out of its way to avoid talking about them was patronizing, as if the people reading it couldn't understand abstract mechanics like that.

I think he meant that the way the article went out of its way to avoid talking about them was patronizing, as if the people reading it couldn't understand abstract mechanics like that.
Exactly. Thank you. It's the way the site simply says, "his training focuses mostly on attack and hp" as if a) we don't understand what EVs are, and b) they don't want to tell us. With all the knowledge going around the internet, you'd think the pokemon company could officially reveal these so-called 'secrets'.

Exactly. Thank you. It's the way the site simply says, "his training focuses mostly on attack and hp" as if a) we don't understand what EVs are, and b) they don't want to tell us. With all the knowledge going around the internet, you'd think the pokemon company could officially reveal these so-called 'secrets'.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I definitely agree with you. Casually mentioning power items or vitamins once in the whole article just doesn't cut it IMO. However, these articles do seem to be building on themselves so hopefully future installments will cover more complex issues.

And 'grats to Grafton!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)