sun man

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK,this is my 1st OU RMT, so please bear with my bad team-building skills.

Teambuilding process:
I wanted to make a sun team so i naturally needed a ninetales.
Since this is a sun team i figured that Growth Chlorophyll Venusaur would be a good sweeper.
I needed a fire sweeper to take down opposing teams so i used Volcorona
Since i was using a Volcorona, i needed a spinner, so i got a Forretress
I needed a way to trap and destroy opposing weather starters, so I got a Dugtrio
After that, i just slapped a Terrekion onto the team to clean up.

now for the team:

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SDef / 136 Spd
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day
- Roar

This is my Ninetales that I use to start the weather. with 100 spd, i can outspeed most leads and use hypnosis. then, i can use NP to set up and punch a hole in the team with a combo of fire blast and Solar beam. Hypnosis also helps disable opposing weather leads and kill them.

Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Forretress makes a great spinner so that Volcorona can safely switch in. fortress is very durable and can tank hard physical hits . Gyro ball can nail fast Pokemon with a possible OHKO or 2HKO, and provides some good offense. the 0 speed IVs is to increase gyro ball's power so that it can net some more KO's

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Volcorona is my super sun fire sweeper who can decimate teams. QD can increase Volcorona's speed so that it can out speed most of the tier. it also increases Volc's sptack to monumental levels so that he can sweep the tier. fiery dance can further increase Volc's special attack stat along with being powered up by the sun. giga drain and bug buzz are there for coverage.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Venusaur is my secondary sweeper on this team. SP can put an opponont to sleep so that i can growth and get +2 attacking stats. sludge bomb is my main power move. Giga drain provides good recovery and coverage. the doubled chlorophyll speed provides Venusaur the ability to outspeed and destroy other teams.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Dugtrio's main purpose is to take down opposing weather starters. tyranitar can be reversaled when dugtrio is at focus sash range or EQ'd when dugtrio is full. opposing ninetales can be EQ'd and taken down by Dugtrio. Dugtrio can also revenge kill opponents that are low on HP.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

i honestly had just stuck terrakion on here to revenge kill opponents.
Importable:
Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Forretress @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait:Drought
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day
- Roar

Threatlist: subject to change
Rain teams, Hail teams, and Sand teams

A special thanks to Joeyboy for helping me with some little improvements to my pokes

Last edited:

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How's it going man, so you've got a pretty workable Sun team here, covers a lot of the common Sun bases(ie Volcarona, Venusaur, Dugtrio), but theres definitely some things that can be optimized.

Firstly, your forretress either needs to be the Custap variant, or the defensive variant. Using a combined set of the two leaves you with a less effective Poke who isn't doing either job as well as it could. If you want to keep up the HO nature of the team use Custap, in which case change Forretress to something like this:

Forretress (M) @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef / 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball

You want Forretress to get into Custap range as easily as possible so you want its defensive capabilities to be as low as they go, hence the 0 IVs. Of course you can keep Forretress as a more defensive player on your team, who lasts longer and can more reliably get off those Rapid Spins that are so crucial. This is, in my opinion, how you should run Forretress as your team really appreciates a solid Rapid Spinner. In this case change Forretress' Custap Berry to Leftovers. This will give it some passive recovery, which can be crucial in turning certain 3HKOs into 2HKOs and so on.

Your Ninetales set is not good, its kind of sad but Ninetales as no chance of properly utilizing a Nasty Plot set, also Solar Beam is an invitation to lose your Ninetales to a Tyranitar. Your team needs Sun to win, it transforms Volcarona and Venusaur into Pokemonsters is really your main win condition. This means you want Ninetales to stick around as long as it can while bringing the utility needed to win the weather war. Try using a Specially Defensive Variant of Ninetales over your current set. This lets Ninetales more easily switch-in to defensive Politoeds and helps it act as a check to certain 'mons like Latias and Reuniclus. Also with a defensive set it can hit Pokemon like Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Politoed on the switch with Will-o-Wisp which can either totally neuter them or at least build up passive damage to aid in keeping your Sun up.

Next to better optimize your two main win conditions. Change Venusaur's EV spread to 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd with a Timid Nature. This spread ensures you will always outspeed +1 positive nature 110's like Choice Scarf Latios, which means there a few less 'mons who can end your potential sweep. Also, change Volcarona's EV spread to 140 HP / 252 SAtk / 116 Spd. You'll always outspeed +1 positive nature 108's like Choice Scarf Terrakion and Keldeo when you've boosted to +2. The extra speed is actually pretty irrelevant on Volcarona and doesn't really help you much in the end, whereas the HP can be crucial in allowing Volcarona to set up.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!

Ninetales Set:
Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day
- Roar

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
thanks bro I'll see how those changes work, btw is there something better than terrekion i can use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)