Sun / Moon In-Game Tier List

With Island Scan in, I imagine Marill and Honedge return to Top Tier yet again?

I gotta ask though, can you reset and look for the IS Pokemon again if you don't get one with the right ability/nature, or do you have to wait a week/reset the clock again?

And if I understood one of the posters correctly, having to wait 48 hours after rigging the system clock is hugely inconvenient.
yeah you can SR for it. When i was SRing to see how Gothita worked it was fine. For the record, I saved before initiating the island scan.

• IMO the absolute earliest you should attempt to get it is after that first Adrenaline Orb that can be found out in the wild somewhere (TBH I can't recall the exact spot, I want to say Route 8 or something but IDFK). You'll have False Swipe by this point so that will help. The latest time the catch should be attempted is the moment Cubone becomes available, because as far as I know AlolaWak is the only Fire-type to get False Swipe. (Eliminating the issue of burn hax from Bagon's Ember may not be necessary, but it helps a lot, trust me-- getting KO'd by burns rapidly decreases your chances of surviving long enough for Mence to show up).
Okay I'm doing another playthrough and coming back to report that the Adrenaline Orb's location is Route 4-- So Salamence's optimal catch time is right after beating Hala, meaning it has plenty of time to grind and get experience on all three of the Akala trials. Obv the probability factor of getting it to show up is still the biggest problem, but barring that, IMO this is a great time for Mence to show up and start being used.

Still not sure how its trashy availability will impact its ranking in contrast with Mence's power to steamroll Akala compared to Bagon.

With Island Scan in, I imagine Marill and Honedge return to Top Tier yet again?

I gotta ask though, can you reset and look for the IS Pokemon again if you don't get one with the right ability/nature, or do you have to wait a week/reset the clock again?

And if I understood one of the posters correctly, having to wait 48 hours after rigging the system clock is hugely inconvenient.
Best way to reset for nature is to go to the location of the pokemon before doing the scan. Save, and then do the scan and catch it. If you want a different nature soft reset and scan again and it will be different. You can also save after scanning but then you only have 1 hour in total to find what you want.

Also, you don't have to wait 48 hours to catch the desired scan pokemon, that changes immediately. However, after changing the date, you will have to wait 48 hours for any other clock based events.

Why is Politoed high tier, exactly?
Checking serebii the only King's Rock just given to you in-game is in the post game. Otherwise you have to steal it off wild Slowbro (a SOS only encounter), a Poliwrath (also a SOS only encounter, in the rain), a Politoed (which kind of sidesteps the issue entirely but whatever), or Hariyama (post-game).

Is it because its an SOS encounter? Cuz that's kinda...look I'm just saying I spent over an hour hunting a castform or sliggoo on Route 17 in the rain. And it feels like it rains way less in Malie Garden. Its anecdotal but I feel like the weather SOS encounters are rarer than normal (has there been any research into the call rates?)
Well if that's the case with King's Rock, then no way should Slowking be High Tier, I take it back. I just assumed you could get one based on Politoed's placement.

You have a point, Politoed should really be lowered.

The item should be pretty easy to steal tbqh.

I still think the Poli-family is as mediocre in-game as they've always been, though. Dunno how they are beating Archen... and by 2 tiers too!

I can confirm that Lurantis is really bad and should stay in Low Tier. I wanted to use one so bad after that OP totem, but in the end I just had to ditch it. For Leafeon.

The fact that I a) trashed it, b) replaced it with Leafeon, and c) was using a Rufflet and a Slowpoke at the time but kept both of them should give some indication of how bad it is.

As for the Poli line, I found Poliwrath to be pretty ok thanks to the early evolution and Fighting STAB, but I lucked out and got an Adamant one so that probably skews things a bit. Probably Upper Mid would be a good placement, it wasn't amazing but it carried a decent number of fights.

The item should be pretty easy to steal tbqh.

I still think the Poli-family is as mediocre in-game as they've always been, though. Dunno how they are beating Archen... and by 2 tiers too!
It's not, though? In the main game, there are only 4 pokemon available who can hold the stone: Poliwhirl, Poliwrath, Politoed and Slowbro

The first three are only available in Malie Garden as SOS battles when it is raining. & I'll guess that Poliwhirl is significantly more common than its 2 evolutions. so that doesn't really help out politoed. So that's not great.
Slowbro is also not necessarily an easy SOS encounter to find (spent an hour trying to get a dang pikachu before it finally showed up)

And the item is only a 5% chance. 20% if you have compound eyes, but I think that requires a butterfree. Regardless, if the one that finally shows up doesn't have the item then you have to ko it and hope another shows up with it.

as someone trying to get a living dex lemme tell ya its The Pits

Edit: So HJK comes later than I originally expected, so movepool issues persist longer than I initially thought. Still think it would be more comfortable in upper mid though, especially since it'll get HJK sooner than later due to the quick exp growth.
You can teach Tsareena Low Sweep pretty quickly, since the TM is available by the end of the second island.

It's definitely really good, though, and deserves to be higher.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since there was a lot of talk while I was gone I'll comment on things.

First, these are the mons that will be going up:

- Archen
- Oriochiro
- Bounsweet (but only up one tier - this will be explained in a minute)
- Litten
- (Tentative) Wishiwashi

The following is falling:

- Tentacool
- Politoed
- Cranidos
- Poliwrath
- Yungoos (if it isn't Low yet)
- Vulpix
- Psyduck
- Gabite

The mons that aren't budging yet:

Wishiwash, but I have an inkling it may go Top. More discussion really needed.

Something I want to remind people is that there are a lot of Pokemon here, and sometimes I had to play the game of "well should I put it in this tier or the other." The beginning draft always sucks (especially when done alone), so that's why there's a lot of weird stuff. Poliwrath (and to a lesser extent Politoed) got a small bye because of said Z Rain Dance. I thought Poliwags had King's Rock at the time until I was looking closer with Slowking. So yeah, Politoed probably pummeling down two tiers.

Furthermore, I think we need to discuss about how some Pokemon like Bounsweet are pretty reliant on Z-Splash to really push through the game. Steenee has garbage Attack and Special Attack (to compare with DTC's analysis it's the same as Slowpoke's SpA... on both spectrums).

Finally, I will say that we can possibly continue to consider the QR Scans, but I want to temporarily state that I do not want to bother with them at this time. I would like to first fix the tier list to a bit more of a stable list before we go too far into the rabbit hole. Focus on the now, then we can look and see about the QR scans.

Last edited:
That's fine for Bagon, but Salamence only spawn from SOS calls from the 1% bagon. 10% bagons summon shelgon
Didn't realize! Feel like it's probably easier to just catch a Bagon and raise it than deal with all that nonsense.

Is it because its an SOS encounter? Cuz that's kinda...look I'm just saying I spent over an hour hunting a castform or sliggoo on Route 17 in the rain. And it feels like it rains way less in Malie Garden. Its anecdotal but I feel like the weather SOS encounters are rarer than normal (has there been any research into the call rates?)
Would using Rain Dance/Drizzle trigger these encounters or do you need to wait for it to be raining in the route on its own?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wishiwashi is 100% not a top mon. It's speed really holds it back tremendously since it's always taking it a hit before the opponent. Those hits add up, so you're forced to switch or heal up after 1-2 Pokemon are fought.

In fact in the lategame, it was the mon I sacced the most to get up potions / revives.

Salandit needs to drop to at least D. It's pretty ass and hard to get at that.

Lunala / Solgaleo should be in Mid tier. Amazing Pokemon but nonexistent availability (literally just E4 + Postgame).

Zygarde is an easy S. You literally get it for free and its cores aren't too hard to find at all.

I don't think Diglett's an A due to its frailty, but it is pretty fast.

Honestly Colonel_M I don't envy you, haha. There are too many mons to rank.

Didn't realize! Feel like it's probably easier to just catch a Bagon and raise it than deal with all that nonsense.

Would using Rain Dance/Drizzle trigger these encounters or do you need to wait for it to be raining in the route on its own?
it has to be natural rain, like the trigger for sliggoo to evolve.

Hey everyone, new here. Just got a Galvanize A-Geodude, gonna see how it is ingame, hope people try Magnet Pull and Sturdy A-Geodudes to see its overall ranking (cuz we all know Galvanize is a PAIN to get)

Also, anyone tried A-Sandslash in game? Thinking of trying it but those 4x weaknesses look terrible, wonder how its in Upper Mid

Proposing Sandygast to go down a tier. I used it for my in-game run and it's pretty awful.

- arrives at the very end of Akala Island, meaning that it'll be a bit underleveled if you immediately move onto Ula'ula afterwards. You need to backtrack in order to farm any XP on it - Hano Beach and Malie City/Garden areB infested with Water, Grass, and Dark types and it's too weak to take on Hau's Raichu.
- all of its good movepool arrives way too late. Besides the very weak Bulldoze, you have zero STAB until lv41 and you're pretty much close to the E4 once you get Earth Power and Shore Up. For most of the game, you have to make do with Mega/Giga Drain and Psychic.
- late evolution at lv42. Mine didn't evolve until the Aether Foundation turns against you, and it was the last of my party to do so.
- I reset for a Calm one, and in spite of that, most STAB special attacks do a good chunk of its HP in one hit. It is slow with many common weaknesses against rivals, totems, and kahunas especially since you don't get Shore Up until lv54.

The only saving grace for it is being a Hypnosis user with recovery and being somewhat useful with Quick Claw for this reason. In general, it's inferior to most of the other Ground or Ghost types available.

Sandygast is slow and fragile, gets its good moves way too late, evolves late, and has limited resources to pull its weight on a team with all kinds of common weaknesses....it deserves to be in D imo.

I'm baffled as to why Salandit is listed as top tbh. Getting a female is a PITA and it can't take a single hit. Sure, it's a fast sweeper, but you're in for a world of hurt if it misses a OHKO for any reason. I give it Firinium Z and never took it off because getting those KOs is quite essential. B is a lot more fair given its flaws.

Last edited:
Day and night won't change. Berries won't grow. Etc.
I actually changed my clock the day I got Sun (I hadn't turned off Daylight Savings Time, and I confirm that Day and Night do change as normal - no issues with catching pokémon that are time of day specific. The things that didn't work were things that either had countdown timers to be available again, or things that were dependent on which day of the week it was.

Things that didn't happen:
Berries didn't reappear by berry trees
The shops in festival plaza were all closed

The 2 day timer was up before I got to these points, but I suspect that the Pyukumuku throwing side quest wouldn't be available and poképelago berries and exploring pokemon timers wouldn't change either.

Hey everyone, new here. Just got a Galvanize A-Geodude, gonna see how it is ingame, hope people try Magnet Pull and Sturdy A-Geodudes to see its overall ranking (cuz we all know Galvanize is a PAIN to get)

Also, anyone tried A-Sandslash in game? Thinking of trying it but those 4x weaknesses look terrible, wonder how its in Upper Mid
I just got a Sandshrew. It's slow as hell which is annoying, and it's level up move pool is barren (Ice moves? What are those??). I think Sandslash requires the move relearner to get Icicle Crash. Luckily it gets Iron Head a few levels after you catch it. It learns Brick Break and Leech Life and a few others via TM, so at least it has useful options. Work Up via TM and Swords Dance via level up too.

Once it got Iron Head it actually started holding its own in battles and with Eviolite, it's pretty bulky (but with Growlithe and Magneton, there's a lot of competition for that item). I'll report back once I've made more progress.

Well statwise it's similar to A-Marowak but without the ability to hit hard thanks to Thick Club, so.... I mean... it's all right, I suppose, but it doesn't have a good Ice STAB until the move relearner at the E4 (Icicle Spear is nothing to write home about honestly), and Iron Head is its only particularly useful attack for most of the game sadly. It gets a lot of good coverage TMs, but most of them are pretty weak compared to its Iron Heads and its slowness hurts a lot.

Surprisingly, the weaknesses weren't too much trouble for me, I just brought it in on matchups I knew it would be good in. And in some of those, he was. It was more his slowness and comparative lack of power that made me decide to drop him.

Not moving any of the bugs? I might be biased, I love bug types, but I feel a bump is really in order for Parasect. I've been using one and it's amazing, the perfect holder of Big Root. The TM for Leech Life, and the aforementioned Big Root, are both fairly early finds, and Paras evolves right away after you catch it. Spore is great too, and it gets Giga Drain later on as a second draining STAB.

Judging by how useful Leech Life has been I would think Ariados and Golisopod could get bumps as well (being the only other physical bugs to get it, besides Araquanid which is already high on the tier list) but Parasect is the only one I've used, and the only one I'm really invested in.

Bear in mind Fire types are fairly rare - it has other weaknesses but can generally work around them. Flying is the main thing to look out for.

I can confirm that Lurantis is really bad and should stay in Low Tier. I wanted to use one so bad after that OP totem, but in the end I just had to ditch it. For Leafeon.

The fact that I a) trashed it, b) replaced it with Leafeon, and c) was using a Rufflet and a Slowpoke at the time but kept both of them should give some indication of how bad it is.

As for the Poli line, I found Poliwrath to be pretty ok thanks to the early evolution and Fighting STAB, but I lucked out and got an Adamant one so that probably skews things a bit. Probably Upper Mid would be a good placement, it wasn't amazing but it carried a decent number of fights.
Found a good synergy strategy here though
First give lurantis the following
Needs good SP Att.
-weather ball 100 fire based
-solar blade or giga drain
-synthesis
-another move such as x scissor or growth

My strategy uses komala to set it up
-Give komala heat rock to set up sun with sunny day
-Then use wish
-then u turn to lurantis and have it sweep
Soooo happy two of my fave gen 7 work well with another espousing wood hammer or thrash komala as its last move

I honestly believe the argument for Dewpider going up to the pinnacle can be made. He has incredibly early evolution and water attacks off the base 50 power on Araquanid actually behave like its base 120, even without any random investment you are likely to get along the way. This makes his scald hit rougly as hard as a Primarina's scald.

You can get Scald, Rest, and Sleep Talk all ridiculously early in the game, allowing him to cheese his way through virtually any situation. Toss in the fact that Dewpider can be holding a mystic water and the water z-crystal is acquired virtually right next to him and you've got what can only be considered a dead ringer for carry pokemon.

With water attacks, as mentioned, his base attack/spatk is 160/120 with no investment and neutral nature, taking his BST to 68/160/92/120/132/42. This adds to a ridiculous 614 for a pokemon you can get on level 22 with all of the necessary TMs soon after. For reference, Gyarados is a 540 BST.

Not to mention, Dewpider, like Gyarados, has perfect synergy with the Magnet line. Each resists all of the others' weaknesses. It also completely mauls things under rain provided by Wingull.

Found a good synergy strategy here though
First give lurantis the following
Needs good SP Att.
-weather ball 100 fire based
-solar blade or giga drain
-synthesis
-another move such as x scissor or growth

My strategy uses komala to set it up
-Give komala heat rock to set up sun with sunny day
-Then use wish
-then u turn to lurantis and have it sweep
Soooo happy two of my fave gen 7 work well with another espousing wood hammer or thrash komala as its last move
I'm sure Lurantis has some competitive potential with Komala, but this thread is about in-game specifically. Things like setup/support mons are pretty inefficient to use when you're just going through AI trainers. Also, Wish needs to be chain bred onto Komala, Sunny Day and U-turn are fairly late-game TMs, and Heat Rocks aren't exactly easy to get either.

Great strategy, but it doesn't help Lurantis out much for in-game viability...

Made an account (finally) to chime in on this thread. Big fan of all the in-game tier lists this site has produced.

That being said, I beat the game recently and wanted to support Litten's A-Tier ranking because firecat did some fucking work for me. Never really suffered too much and by the time I ran into serious problems (Olivia for example) I had teammates to cover his back. He nuked what he was SE against and held his own more than once when it counted.

It also helps that he has a good in-game move-pool to benefit from. Flame Charge patched up his speed, Leech Life gave him some OK recovery, Darkest Lariat is Darkest Lariat and Brick Break/Cross Chop was just the icing on the cake. I actually ran U-Turn on him for a while just to get him out of some tricky spots.

Probably my favorite starter Pokemon experience.

Currently playing through Sun and I managed to get a neutral nature Rowlet. Interested in seeing how he does for me after reading the mixed opinions of him in this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)