1. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules. Feel also free to check out our hub to learn more about this place!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Sticky Sun/Moon Sprite Project: Dawn of a New Day

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Laptop' started by Layell, Jul 22, 2016.

1. leparagon

leparagon supertasks with sprites
    is an Artist

whassup peeps

some alolan dugtrio qc and an alolan graveler
    graveler.png dugtrio.png

will add backs soon
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  2. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow

I've got a few animated sprites about done but before I continue am I allowed to post any? I read the first post so I'm asking for clarity, sorry, and thanks
  3. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

4. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

Hey ho

@ThatGuyYouKnow and @SelenaArmorclaw are now approved animators for this project : )

EDIT: Mimikyu is now finished, Selena wanted to animate him and now she can!
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. Toonwriter

Toonwriter

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. Mega-Pokebattlerz

Mega-Pokebattlerz

Modeling Clay's Bruxish does not have a Shiny sprite, so I'll make one tonight... is that OK?

EDIT: I got 'em done early, so here's Butterface front and back:
    bruxish-shiny.png bruxish-back-shiny.png
    If you see any problems, feel free to let me know!
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  7. leparagon

is an Artist

not sure I remember seeing layell talking about you being an approved spriter. sorry if you are, my bad for not checking. if not, then you have to send an application first

the colors you used are too light, especially the black lines. the outlines have to be darker than the shaded colors, enough that it can ve distinguished easily at a glance. great try though! try
  8. leparagon

is an Artist

not sure I remember seeing layell talking about you being an approved spriter. sorry if you are, my bad for not checking. if not, then you have to send an application first

the colors you used are too light, especially the black lines. the outlines have to be darker than the shaded colors, enough that it can ve distinguished easily at a glance. great try though!
  9. Mega-Pokebattlerz

Mega-Pokebattlerz

Oh, my bad. I forgot. I can only do palette swaps anyway, so I don't think I'll be of much use... :pirate:

It's a shame, since I just finished shiny Guzzlord...
  10. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

Mimikyu Smogon.gif
    Original, non looped, with one single set of 9 frames of the body and tail moving, with the rare animation right after.
    Looped Mimikyu.gif
    Looped 6 extra times in addition to the original one (all of this is excluding the rare animation, which is obviously only once).

Might make the head move a bit, but otherwise I'm thinking it's nearly done. Rare animation is subject to change. If anyone has any suggestions, now's the time.
    (Note: I fixed something with the eyes in this one, so the one later in the earlier in the post doesn't have that fixed.)
  11. Kompelxify

Kompelxify

It's looking great in my opinion! I'd make his head move just a little bit to the left or right, because it's quite stationary right now, if that's a proper sentence.
  12. ThatGuyYouKnow

ThatGuyYouKnow

IP of this site got blocked by the server of my workplace, so that makes things a little bit harder to post, since I have a few animations, and I've been out for a few days being sick, I'll figure something out
    Integer Mova likes this.
  13. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

Alright, here's a minor edit to the Mimikyu sprite, with a bit of head bobbing.
    Looped Mimikyu Edit.gif
  14. Typhlito

Typhlito One Business Dawg
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Contributor

Nice animation you have there! My only real nitpick is the head since its movements is a bit stiff though. I think if the head moved just a little less but at the same time gave the ears some slight movement, I think it would take it to the next level.
    Kompelxify likes this.
  15. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

Smogon Mimikyu Front Ear Movement Edit.gif
    Alright, is this any better? Removed 1 frame from the loop as well, so now it's 8 frames in the continuous loop (8x7 -> 56 frames before the rare animation happens).

EDIT: Added it blinking, and also fixed a pixel issue I found.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  16. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

Ok, so, I realized I really screwed up. Mimikyu has 3 fingers on the claw, so I fixed that. Also, the rare animation wasn't cutting it, so I had a friend help me. Added 'weight' to the claw animation. Here's the result.
    Smogon Mimikyu Front Rare Animation Edit.gif
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

I made my first animated back ever! Tried to 'mimic' the front animation as much as possible. (get it? Because Mimikyu? Yea... I'll stop now.)

Here it is, with the front to compare.
    Smogon Mimikyu Front Rare Animation Edit.gif Smogon Mimikyu Front Rare Animation Edit Back.gif
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Layell likes this.
  18. Typhlito

Great job with the animation! I forgot to respond to your previous post but I meant to say if you make the head movement last for 1 or 2 frames after the body stopped moving, it could look more fluid. But that's literally it. Everything else looks perfect. :)
  19. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

Made the animated Mimikyu-Busted Back. I editted the original sprite a bit, because I noticed the tail moves to the other side when busted, which the original sprite didn't do. Also edited some shadows to look like the sprite in the game (which I don't know why was like that anyway)
    mimikyu_busted.png
    ^original sprites

Mimikyu-Busted Back.gif

Reference image for the tail flip:
    http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/10/79/26a607abe8d24a4a3acec9df09eb22aa.gif
  20. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

[​IMG]
    Had to upload this to imgur because the image was too large to upload here (it's a 192x192 gif, so...)

ALL DONE! (Minor edits to the sprites will come as needed)

The front was the hardest. The first sprite I did, I mean. The rest was a lot easier, since I already had the rare animation done.

I don't know what you mean by that, forgot to mention this earlier. Either way, I could probably edit the sprite now, but the frame amount needs to stay the same (63 frames atm).
  21. Typhlito

Ah I didnt mean to add another frame. I meant that you see how the head and body stops on the same frame? If the head movement last for one or two frames after that point, maybe going slightly past the base head position on the next frame and then going back to its base position after it might make it flow a bit better. Try bobbing your head irl like your animation and you might see what I mean.

but really you dont have to. It still looks great!
  22. WelshWhale28

WelshWhale28

I am interested in becoming a spriter/ animator, but I do not have the proper utensils or training, what would you, as professionals, recommend?
  23. LTC620

LTC620

Hi I'm just wondering when a release will come out?
  24. SelenaArmorclaw

SelenaArmorclaw

I definitely would recommend Aseprite (It's free for the older versions) for animations. However, animating requires a lot of patience and dedication (Which I barely have enough of), as well as knowledge how BW sprites work.

Also, on a side note, it's spring break for me, so I'm going to see about finding a new sprite to animate. OH. And got my wisdom teeth out, so I'm sitting around the house with a whole lot of nothing to do.
    WelshWhale28 likes this.
  25. leparagon

is an Artist

damn i haven't checked in on the project in a long time :o also i agree with selena, aseprite is good for animations. personally i use gimp. you can even use photoshop or any program with a rotate function and layer function

for spriting, graphics gale and paint.net work well. some people use gimp or photoshop. i personally use good old ms paint lol
    FellFromtheSky likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)