1. Our third apparel sale is live. New design + reprint of the athletic design. Support us and get a shirt!
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules. Feel also free to check out our hub to learn more about this place!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Sticky Sun/Moon Sprite Project: Dawn of a New Day

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Laptop' started by Layell, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Snivy101 (Chris White)

Snivy101 (Chris White)

For Alolan Exeggutor, why not go the route Elazulmax went and go like the sprite on the left? Sure it doesn't showcase all of it, but it makes sense. He did base it on Monica's sprite (the giant woman in B2W2's Pokestar Studios) who would also obviously break the limit if she were sprited to her full size.
    [​IMG]
    Tinberz and Mq like this.
  2. fishBowlSoul

fishBowlSoul

upload_2016-8-3_12-58-40.png this is how I have made the grass/dragon(lol) exeggutor, unfortunately, this is the tallest you can go with it...also here are some more sprites of mine that you guys and gals could work on/with:
    upload_2016-8-3_13-0-43.png upload_2016-8-3_13-0-58.png upload_2016-8-3_13-1-30.png upload_2016-8-3_13-1-51.png upload_2016-8-3_13-2-5.png I made them all fit in the grid limit tho...
    Tinberz, Clair, Mq and 7 others like this.
  3. aXl

aXl they love your throat and (quote, unquote) you
    is an Artist

Back Tapioka
    [​IMG]
    It was really hard to find the back reference, but Tapu spins around for like a split frame in his reveal trailer and you can like just see the white triangle on his back. So here it is!

Also updated the shield wings a bit. +)

edit shit i forgot to do the shield beak on the back brb fixed
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  4. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist Alumnus

Old[​IMG] New[​IMG]
    Old[​IMG] New[​IMG]

Layell noted issues with the outline and I made edits accordingly along with some overall polishing here and there. Hopefully, this is a step in the right direction. :)

Also, moved on to my next mon, Lurantis. Here it is so far.
    [​IMG]

My first draft had her "arms" spread out but I ultimately decided to just go with the pose in the original artwork lol.
    Tinberz, Mq, Reisen and 6 others like this.
  5. Kyuzeth

Kyuzeth

Amazing work on your sprites, as always. Lurantis in particular already looks great for a first attempt. While I do like your Solgaleo's sprite a lot and the touchups definitely improve it further, I can't help but feel the sprite is overall too small. It seems smaller than sprites like Entei's, while Solgaleo is a huge lion that stands taller than Reshiram. I hope it's not nitpicking; I just thought I'd share my sentiments there.

In any case, keep up the good work.
    Wobblebuns likes this.
  6. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist Alumnus

Oh, I didn't bother to check the heights, my bad. And wtf, Solgaleo measures up to more than 3 meters (@_@") Anyways, the sprite is actually taller than Entei, but that's manely because of its mane. When you compare the head and the body, the sprite as a whole does looks smaller.

And so, I present to ya'll a bigger fire lion.

Old[​IMG] New[​IMG]

Side by side comparison (open)

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Also finished Lurantis' back sprite!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artistis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Some feedback for peeps

Wobblebuns The position of Lurantis's legs on the back sprite doesn't match the front. Based on the front pose, the left leg should be behind the right one. Not a big deal but worthy of a quick fix. Otherwise, she looks very lovely.

aXl The only thing that bothers me about Tapu is how one of its claws on the front sprite is bigger than the other. Unless they're intended to be asymmetrical, the one on its right/our left should shrink a bit.

I prefer something like Elazulmax's right-hand Exeggutor the most, shortening the neck and managing to fit the whole body in the canvas.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    Mova and TrainerSplash like this.
  8. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

All right I've done a few updates to the chart, also if anyone would like access to the chart then please pm me your google doc account.

Closer to release I may also want dropbox accounts too for easier updates to PS!
  9. princessofmusic

princessofmusic soprano
    is an Artistis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

pikipek.png

I decided to sprite Pikipek after seeing that its in-game model is grounded, as flying sprites can be a bother. I think I'll reserve Cutiefly.

Also updated my first post with a small Bounsweet edit.

EDIT: Altered the shading on the front sprite and rounded out the tail on the back sprite.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Tinberz, FellFromtheSky, Mq and 8 others like this.
  10. The Cynical Poet

The Cynical Poet

I've decided to join the crew again. I've been working on the Alolan Exeggutor - there are two different versions that I've worked on:
    [​IMG]
    This is the original version, with a stiff neck and the original pallet from Exeggutor.
    [​IMG]
    This is the second version, with a more bent neck and uses the pallet that FishBowlSoul's Exeggutor uses. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which one should be used - or if pallets need to be swapped. The back coconut head is purely a placeholder until I can make one that actually looks decent.

Additionally, I've been working on the Alolan Ninetales (oh - if I could reserve Ninetales, that'd be cool):
    [​IMG]
    I love how the Alolan Ninetales came out, and the back sprite is in the process of being made as well.
    Tinberz, cant say, Othfx and 12 others like this.
  11. Typhlito

Typhlito One Active Dawg
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Contributor

The Cynical Poet Nice sprites! I liked your curved version of tall darker exeggutor better. The straight eggy looked too stiff while the heads were still tilted from its original sprite (if that makes sense). The curve does look more natural and makes it look a bit taller than it would have been. My biggest issue though with the sprite are the short palm leaves. Maybe thats because of how tall it is but it looks a bit short on the front sprite. Try making those leaves longer on it. Also the tail coconut could use a little shading since it looks flat for the back sprite...unless thats the placeholder you was talking about. Finally, the stem gets thicker when it reaches the top. This is seen on the front sprite but not the back.

Ill post stuff about ninetales later. Keep up the good work though!
    The Cynical Poet likes this.
  12. The Cynical Poet

The Cynical Poet

Thank you for the feedback on Exeggutor, Typhlito! I definitely tried to take it into consideration with him, and so far this is what I've got:
    [​IMG]
    While tinkering with Exeggutor's leaves, I took the time to try and polish up his long neck some - fixed up some shading, and extended everything as much as I could within the 96x96 limit. I think this is about as much of a compromise we're going to get with Alolan Exeggutor's proportions without sacrificing any more details for the sake of accuracy.
    Additionally, I fixed up the tail and the tail's head, which looks kind of derpy, but I think I've gotten it to a nice starting place, at the very least.
  13. Typhlito

Typhlito One Active Dawg

I think eggy looks great now. Might still need a little more tinkering with them at tail coconut. The coconut heads on the back sprite also look slightly off as well. Finally, you prob should change the expressions the heads are making to match the model. Their faces are slightly different.

As for ninetales, its pretty nice but try fixing up the outlining to make it match the bw sprites. Also the head is a bit off. Btw, did you try using a sitting pose similar to regular ninetales? That sitting pose could really show off that fancy tail if done right. Anyway, hopefully that helps.
  14. fishBowlSoul

fishBowlSoul

upload_2016-8-9_15-42-52.png if anyone wants to create the back sprite for this babe, feel free to do so please!
    Clair and leparagon like this.
  15. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

Perhaps this part of the post wasn't clear, but I really meant it. I would really prefer posts from people who I haven't added to the project to an absolute minimum, even zero. The energy I can devote to this project is much less than it was two years ago, so I really want to cut out the senseless stuff.

DA or other sources are really only taken in by me if they already come with fronts and backs, and are allowed for me to use. If an accepted spriter wants to find a front they can use and make the back, that is their own prerogative.
  16. leparagon

leparagon supertasks with sprites
    is an Artist

aww, i wanted to make the Solgaleo and Lunala backsprites xD

actually Layell, can i post the other sprites here on the thread? so that other users can see if they wanna do theirs from scratch or just help out with the ones i made already?

also, here's Bewear front: bewear.png
    Tinberz, cant say, Mq and 4 others like this.
  17. aXl

is an Artist

Just chiming in to say that I'm currently working on a version of Lunala and we'll see how that goes. Progress is being made, but its mostly silhouette right now. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it up between wrapping up my summer job later today and moving into my dorm next week.
  18. HeaLnDeaL

HeaLnDeaL Reluntantly Having Fun
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributor

[​IMG]
    So this is still very much a WIP, I'm just posting now for the two-week progress update. I'm thinking rn that the legs are a tiny bit too long, but it's a give and take with trying to get the curves on the mud within the allotted pixels. The shading so far is loosely based on Rapidash's, but I could see more of the right half of the sprite being in shadow as well. Sorry I'm not further along, but CAP's been very hectic these last two weeks.

aXl this might just me be, but I feel like the right shield on your backsprite looks a tiny bit shorter than the left shield (or perhaps it's because in the front sprite, the two shields look equidistant from the body, but on the back the left shield looks a tiny bit further away? I realize that the angle can naturally create this effect, but it seems just a tad too much). Great line work though and props for fitting all that detail into the space.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Tinberz, cant say, Kyuzeth and 5 others like this.
  19. The Cynical Poet

The Cynical Poet

Incoming Exeggutor update:
    [​IMG]
    I've been sending this guy to the chiropractor the last few days to work on his neck, trying to find a compromise between thick/sturdy and long/flimsy. I took Typhlito's advice and changed up Exeggutor's dull expression to more accurately match the model/artwork of its Alolan form. Additionally, I've taken a new pallet from the artwork to better shade his body. The back coconut head will be worked on next - his derpy face is even more derpy to sprite at an angle. Mainly the lips.

As for Alolan Ninetales, here is what I've gotten so far:
    [​IMG]
    I fixed up Ninetale's face to be less towards the player and more sideways, as in the B/W sprites. I also don't want to place Ninetales into a sitting position. Alolan Ninetales looks almost too proud to want to sit down; it is idolized by many of the natives from Alola after all. As for the outline, I tried to make it a bit more in line with how its B/W sprite looks. Ninetales has one of the more prominently defined outlines, so this is my first attempt towards that.
    Tinberz, Clair, Mq and 4 others like this.
  20. leparagon

is an Artist

i posted Alolan Raichu on my deviantart page just a few minutes ago. i wanna call dibs on it and its backsprite xD

here's the front: alola raichu.png
    Tinberz, FellFromtheSky, Mq and 3 others like this.
  21. leparagon

is an Artist

really sorry for the double post, but i just noticed your Solgaleo sprite now. it looks nice, but it's way too small :o i think it'd be more appropriate if it were around this size: solgaleo.png or maybe like the Solgaleo sprite fishbowl posted
    Othfx, Clair, aXl and 1 other person like this.
  22. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist Alumnus

I was worried it'd look disproportionately large when I scale the sprite more or less to the size of Reshiram. But yeah, it's getting apparent that the sprite really needs to be bigger. I had a new post with the new size but I think, looking at it now, that's not enough to showcase Solgaleo's colossal size. Will be working on it after school!
  23. The Cynical Poet

The Cynical Poet

Update on Alolan Ninetales:
    [​IMG]
    I think I've got a much better outline going for Ninetales' front sprite. I spent a good amount of time trying to fix up some minor shading and pallet issues with it, so I'm satisfied with the front for the time being. The backsprite is another beast entirely. I think its main figure it pretty good, but that tail is horrible to sprite in this perspective. As of right now, I think I've got the tails matched up where they would be in comparison to its front sprite, but tell me if you guys think differently. I'm currently working on fixing the shading with the back sprite, so consider the back still half of a work in progress.

Also, minor Exeggutor update:
    [​IMG]
    Just gave the leaves a new color pallet. That's pretty much it.
  24. aXl

is an Artist

jams
    Lunala pair.png
    Lunala is roughly 96x94 if I recall correctly, posting this here to get critique for improvements b/c I feel some things are probably off but I've been staring at this guy for so long my eyes are weird. Total colors currently are at 14 leaving one spare in case I need to split the white for the shiny.

uh comments:
    The Cynical Poet currently the black outlines on ANinetales stand out very harshly to the point where the two that are there look odd on the backsprite's tail. I'd either add more in, remove them altogether or possibly add in another transition color between the outline shade and black. Aside from that, hard to tell if the tail positioning is correct or not without knowing the actual backsprite but using actual Ninetales for reference could probably help with the placement.

princessofmusic very minor but Pikipek's tail on the backsprite is very flat on the top and stands out as a result. Maybe look into ways of rounding it out a bit? Otherwise looks good.

Wobblebuns quick Lurantis note, we should probably be able to see its left face protrusion (mandible? mouth antenna? weird mustache?) coming from behind the head on the backsprite. Other than that, not noticing it as much now but when I was viewing it on my phone the all-black outlines of the blades stood out to me on the front and could possibly benefit from an outline shade. Great quick work though and I love the result!

Going afk for a bit to render a final sub for my CAP 22 design before the art thread closes, will be back again after.
    Tinberz, Othfx, TrainerSplash and 7 others like this.
  25. Typhlito

Typhlito One Active Dawg

The Cynical Poet That ninetales sprite is really coming around! I agree with all's comments but for the back sprite, try going off what you did with the front sprite. In the front sprite, there are 5 tails are overlapping each other. If you do something similar for the back I think it would look cleaner. The nine tails are still there in the model. They are just more connected together like you have them in the front sprite.

Also it's rear leg is a bit awkward looking for the back sprite. Speaking of legs, while it doesn't look bad, I wish I could see a little more of that front leg on the front sprite even if it's just a few more pixels to make it more noticeable.
    The Cynical Poet likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)