Sun Wukong's Graphic Art

Hey guys, I've new to Smogon and decided to start off by posting some of my artwork. For those of you who don't know I'm a graphic artist, who is currently creating a graphic novel. What better place to post my work than right here on smogon. You can find my work here at my website and Facebook:

My graphic novel reflects my interest in world cultures. Having studied the folktales of India, the art of Ancient Egypt, Chinese and Japanese landscapes, I meld these influences into my own fantastical world.

The graphic novel takes its name from the hero Xavian Gubora, an anthropomorphic lion. He’s not your typical hero: carefree, reckless, but optimistic about the future’s uncertainty. Instead, he must reluctantly take up arms against an alien race determined to destroy the galaxy. Throughout his journey, he encounters trials and tribulations, but figures out his purpose in life. As such, this space epic features war, a group of unlikely compatriots who band together to defeat evil, and plenty of social and cultural commentary.

Now onto my artwork:

Xavian Gubora and the Phoenix

Boritta Norvina and the Monkey

Nesia and the Mouse

David, Darryl, and the Tortoises

Thoth and the Tiger

All of these were created using Adobe Illustrator and nothing else. These took me a total of 2 months to complete. I do live streams at least three times a day to show my fans what I'm working on. Let me know what you think of my work

Edit: I'll clean this thread up later. I'm tired

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wut

But yeah, the pics in your first pot are really stunning, the pic with Xavian and the Phoenix could easily be used as a wallpaper of some sort. Thoth and the Tiger comes as a close second, the intense lighting on those thunderclouds and the tiger crashing down through them makes for an amazing perspective.

However, I don't know if maintaining a story-driven webcomic is something you can accomplish at this point in time. The pages currently up are uncolored and at a really small size that makes reading the speech bubbles difficult, and even though you're currently working on coloring them, the time needed to complete them will make it hard to maintain a steady stream of updates to keep the audience interested. If you're confident that you can pull itoff, then all the more power to you, but don't become engulfed in a project as large as this if you're not convinced you can stand the pressure.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
As a fellow vector artist, I can understand the effort and time it must have taken to produce these. Your character designs are pretty interesting and, mirroring Bummer's thoughts, you do well working with perspective and composition.

One area you could improve on, however, is the use of line. Try to add some colors to your linework and avoid using pure black too often. Black lines get stale very quickly, and tend to clash with the fill colors, causing the image to look flatter than it should. For instance, the motion implied by the fire and lightning in the first and last image respectively is stifled by their thick, dark outlines, causing them to appear more still and inactive. You might also consider messing around with the width of your lines a bit more to help with this.

With that said, I like what I see in your work overall, especially given how tricky it can be to create scenes like these in Illustrator. I hope you'll stay to share more of these with us!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)