ORAS OU Sunny Warriors

Sunny Warriors

Introduction

Hello! fellow Smogon addicts. Aman here, presenting another team. I made this team around a core assigned during the B101 tour, but surprisingly, it did decently on the ladder taking me to 1775 elo, before I tilted hard. This team is very close to my heart, as it is one of my first successful teams made by me for using my favorite Pokémon :,). However, I am stuck and can't cross the 1800 mark lol. So, I am here to ask for help :D. The title refers to 1)sun and 2) Warrior High, a TV serial which I love and named my Pokémon after some of the characters.
Proof of Peak
Screenshot (5).png

Teambuilding Process

I had to build around Mega Charizard-Y + Raikou core. I chose this core because Charizard is my fav Pokemon and Raikou was mandatory with it :/

With Charizard, you have to use hazard removal, or you are nuts. I chose to use Sand+Exca. Hippo gave my team a nice backbone. Excadrill provided much needed spin support and late game cleaning option after charizard has wrecked havoc on the opposing team.

I noticed that water types such as Keldeo and Azumarill were fucking annoying for me. Also, Hippo could not take all the powerful physical attackers himself. So I added Slowbro. It also helps by spreading paralysis.

I soon noticed that my main win condition would be Excadrill and although Charizard can weaken its counters easily, it does not want to switch in continuously cuz of the SR weakness. I needed something that could fuck Rotom-W and Skarmory while also helping against Bisharp, which was annoying. I also needed a status absorber. I found Poison Heal Breloom, which has become one of my favourite Pokémon recently.

The Team

Sid (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Charizard, my childhood love. This is one of the most powerful wallbreakers in the game. The set is fairly standard. I run Timid because, Mega Gardevoir, Manaphy and Kyurem-B are huge threats to this team. Fire Blast instead of Flamethrower cuz I am not running Modest and the power difference is noticeable. I don't use Earthquake, as Focus Miss does enough to Heatran and hitting tyranitar is more beneficial for me. The best part is that, since I don't have a Pursuit trapper, most people think that its Zard-X, and no one wants to give him a free turn ;) He is my main Pokémon against bulkier teams or offensive teams that lack a Lati when it gets a switch in opportunity. Against slower teams, I just click Fire Blast. Chansey can be easily taken advantage of by me as I have Toxic Orb Breloom. I might try Dragon Pulse over Focus Blast, as Lati@s give me headaches. Named after Siddharth Rajput, the main character. He is a badass and pretty unpredictable, just like Charizard.

Siyali (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Siyali, Sid's love interest, nerd and a person against whom, even Sid can't stand, just like Raikou beats Zard-Y one-on-one. I opted to use AV cuz my team sorely needed something to take some special hits from LO Torn-T and Electrics, as Thundurus mostly uses Grass Knot these days. The set is very standard. I use max speed to tie with Starmie. This is the Pokémon I use to weaken faster special threats, such as Gengar and Serperior, so that Exca can revenge them latter. This is the Pokémon I am most uncertain about and open to suggestions. Also, I had a huge crush on Siyali n_n

Utkarsh (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Utkarsh is Sid's long lost brother and a happy go lucky, but can go to any extent for his dear ones, just like Hippowdon takes all kind of beatings for his team. I run the mixed spread to take some special hits better, better check Electric types. Again, standard moveset. I run Stone Edge to prevent Talonflame from setting up on me and hitting Thundudrus and Tornadus on the switch, but mostly Talon. I run Leftovers instead of Smooth Rock, as I don't have Swords Dance on Excadrill and mostly 4 turns are enough for Exca to wreck havoc on the opposing team. It is very important to play Hippo conservatively against faster teams, as I need Sand Stream late game for Excadrill. Even against bulkier teams, it is very beneficial as it can easily tank many hits.

Krissane (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Excadrill is my revenge killer, Rapid Spinner and fairy check. I run Life Orb as this teams needs as much power as it can get for revenge killing as I am not running Swords dance. He is my late game sweeper against offensive teams. It is also important to preserve it against bulkier teams, as aginst those, Zard might need to switch in continuosly and my opponent will try to preserve his SR setter to pressure it.This team can easily take advantage of common Excadrill checks such as Rotom-W and Skarmory. Rotom-W is a free switchin for Breloom and Loom can easily lure Skarm with a +2 Superpower and most Iron Head these days, so that's another benefit. Named after Krissane D'souza, who is sexy, confident and loves Utkarsh, just like Exca loves Hippo.

Neeti (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowbro was added to prevent Water-types, such as Keldeo and Azumarill from running over this team. Slowbro also takes pressure off Hippowdon. It is my primary check to Zard-X. The EV spread allows it to take one LO Draco Meteor from latios and thunder Wave it. I need Psyshock for Keldeo. This thing also helps against Ecadrill, Talonflame and other physical attackers, as in most games I try to play Hippowdon carefully. Again, this is a very standard set. Named after Neeti, who is a dwarf but she is happy in what god made her.

Parth (Breloom) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Façade / Mach Punch

Toxic Orb Breloom is a very underrated threat that can hugely threaten bulky teams. It gets free switch in opportunity on a lot of bulky Pokémon, such as Hippowdon, Rotom-W and Chansey. It offers huge support to Excadrill and Charizard-Y as it easily takes on bulky Water and ground types that threaten them. It lures and kills Skarmory too for Exca. Facade does decent damage to Torn-T and Talon, but Mach Punch gives me a much needed priority move, which my team lacks otherwise. It is especially useful against Bisharp and Excadrill. Named after Parth Samthan, who is a strong boxer, good guy, moody and hates Sid, due to the latter's arrogance.

Conclusion

This team has performed very well for me and I want to make it better. Spme of the threats are strong special attackers, such as Latis, opposing Zard-Y, Gengar, Mega-Gardevoir; Bisharp, if it has +2 and Hoopa-U. Fairies can be problematic as Exca and Zard-Y are my only resists, both of which can find it difficult to switch in consistently. Any suggetsins are welcome. Thank you for reading. :)

Sid (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Siyali (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Utkarsh (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Krissane (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Neeti (Slowbro) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Parth (Breloom) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Facade

Last edited:
Well made team! I'm definitely seeing a harsh weakness to the Latis, who, with the proper support, can simply wear down your team. The worst part is, they basically get a free switch in on Zard-Y, from where they can simply launch off a Draco Meteor like no one's business.

There are several sets that I can see benefiting your team greatly, and two places I can see them fitting in.

Bisharp @ Blackglasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
EVs: 192 HP / 220 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

In place of Raikou, consider, perhaps, one of these Dark-type Pokemon sets. While they completely lack the ability of Raikou to switch in to the threats you have mentioned, they are rather adept at revenge killing Tornadus and Thundurus, and, to a lesser extent, help versus Mega-Manectric as well. More importantly, they mostly retain the ability to deal with Serperior and opposing Zard-Y.

However, most importantly, they are a rather effective answer to Lati@s being able to Pursuit trap or priority KO them if they run HP Fire. Additionally, Weavile smacks Gardevoir hard, and Bisharp's Sucker Punch is nothing to laugh at. Weavile deserves a special mention as it is able to KO opposing Bisharp with reasonable reliability due to Low Kick, though with Bisharp versus Bisharp, you should still be able to weaken the opposing one enough to make it a non-issue. All three sets serve the same general purpose on your team; I merely put them because I'm not sure what you would be aiming for. SD Bisharp, along with the presence of Breloom on your team, forms a formidable physical wallbreaking core that can really put pressure on opposing teams. The Assault Vest set allows Bisharp to pivot onto Pokemon far more easily and is more defensively oriented, in case you wanted to try to stay as true to that as you could. Weavile is a fun choice as well, as it also helps Breloom break opposing teams and is generally a very powerful threat in the current metagame, given fast and powerful Ice-Type coverage coupled with Pursuit trapping and Knock Off.

Bisharp @ Blackglasses
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

If the thought of replacing Raikou does not appeal to you, perhaps consider switching Breloom out for this variant of Bisharp. While it definitely lacks the utility of Breloom, it fulfills a similar role as a wallbreaking sweeper, as, after a single Swords Dance, very few can address its ridiculous power. More importantly, it helps you check Lati@s and all the Pokemon you mentioned your team was having trouble with as its Sucker Punch and/or Knock Off can put them swiftly out of commission.

So...uh...yeah, that's the input I have to offer ^.^ My personal favorite is Weavile, because I enjoy offensive playstyles and Weavile is able to offensively check all the mons you have trouble with. However, it doesn't address fairies as well as Bisharp does, and leaves your team more open to Azumarill. In the end it's your choice; good luck with laddering!

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agree that latis threaten your team immensely. Have you considered Scarf TTar > Hippo And TankChomp > Slowbro? Right now these two are your weakest links because they sap momentum from you given how offensive the rest of. Your team is. TTar traps the Latis pretty easily and maintains sand for excadrill like hippo did, but it gives you the added benefit of checking talonflame, a pretty big threat to you, as raikou cannot handle wisp variants in the long run. Garchomp gives you a sturdy rocker that switches into bisharp and lopunny and metagross rather easily, while not being nearly as passive as hippowdon. You do become a bit weaker to keldeo, but this seems to be a case of pick your poison: either be weak to lati@s, or be weak to keldeo. With your current setup you have no way of beating roost lati without it being a last min scenario, while with my proposed setup, you at least have workarounds to keldeo: char y takes it on of rocks aren't up, excadrill can revenge it, and breloom tanks a hit and kills it. None of them are perfect, but you have a fighting chance against it at least. The only issue I really see is azumarill, but that 2HKoes everything on your team anyways and you can revenge it. Rotom over raikou could help with that but that's not really a change I would make, since you now lose to fast electrics.

Aside from the glaring lati weakness, I like the team so gj on that. Hopefully you found this rate useful.

Sets:
Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Toxic

Roar > D Tail on chomp because otherwise DD Malt and SubDD Mega Gyara murk you. The last slot can go to any number of moves though Toxic is the best because it can put annoying things like Rotom or SpDef hippo on a timer, and you already have the best steel killer in the game on your team.

Hi s_aman,

This a pretty cool team. On team preview, this teams looks a lot like a Zard-X team, which makes a Zard-Y bluff work well. I agree with Torterrable with your team is weak to Latias/Latios - the Latis can easily switch into your entire team bar Excadrill and a T-wave from Slowbro and simply fire off a Draco Meteor. Weavile is also a big threat to your team - although it can't really switch-in, it can 2HKO every member of your team with a combination of Icicle Crash and Knock Off and outspeed most of your team. I noticed your team is a bit weak to common balance breakers such as Manaphy, Kyurem-B, Serperior, Mega-Gyaradoes, and opposing Zard-Y. For example, Manaphy can set on Hippodown (barring whirlwind) and deal heavy damage to your team with a boosted Scald/Ice Beam. Kyurem-B switches in easily on Raikou and can easily 2HKO your entire team with a combination of Ice Beam, Fusion Bolt, and Earth Power.

With this is mind, I recommend you switch Breloom for a standard defensive Ferrothorn with Leech Seed, Power Whip, Gyro Ball, and Thunder Wave/Knock Off. Ferrothorn deals with bulky ground/water types like Breloom and also checks many of the above mentioned Pokemon, including Weavile (Gyro Ball), Manaphy (Power Whip), Kyurem-B (Gyro Ball), and Mega-Gyarados (Power Whip). Watch you for HP Fire lures though. More importantly, Ferrothorn gives you a fairly reliable switch-in to Latios/Latias, as well as a solid fairy-type resist, allowing you to avoid unnecessary damage on Zard-Y and Excadrill. Ferrothorn can also check Keldeo in a pinch with Power Whip. Leech Seed gives Ferrothorn semi-reliable recovery and Thunder Wave helps prevent Ferrothorn from being set-up fodder. Alternatively, Knock Off is great from removing Leftovers from Heatran/Skarmory, allowing you to wear then down faster.

Although changing Hippodown to Tyranitar gives away your Charizard as Zard-Y, I agree with Clone that Tyranitar would be a great fit for your team, besides the reason's he's already mentioned, Scarf Tar gives your team some much needed speed and can also function as a check to opposing Zard-Y. Since removing Hippodown gets rid of your Stealth Rocks user, I would put Steath Rocks on Ferrothorn over Thunder Wave/Knock Off.

Since Tyranitar checks most special attakers, I think you can give Slowbro more physical bulk with spread of 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD. Since Hippodown, your main physical wall is gone, Slowbro really needs the extra defense EVs to take you physical attackers like Mega-Lopunny and opposing Excadrill, especially since Slowbro will be your main switch-in to opposing Earthquakes. I also think you can try Calm Mind over Thunder Wave. Calm Mind allows Slowbro to act as another win condition for your team since your team lacks any other set-up sweepers. CM Slowbro also complements Tyranitar pretty well, with Tyranitar getting rid of most special attackers (Raikou, Latis, Mega-Manectric...) that could prevent a Slowbro speed.

Finally, to help out with your ground-type weakness, I think you should use Air Balloon on Excadrill. Right now you have 3 weaknesses to ground-type moves (Exca, Ttar, Raikou) and only one SR weak immunity (Zard-Y). Air Balloon helps patch your weakness to ground-type moves by giving Excadrill a pseudo-ground-type immunity, giving you greater maneuverability to opposing Land-T, Excadrill, and Garchomp. Checks opposing Excadrill is especially important since max defense Slowbro has a good chance to be 2HKO'd be Life Orb Earthquake from Adamant Excadrill after Stealth Rocks.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)