1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sunnyzard

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by tasclew, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tasclew

tasclew

Sunnyzard
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello everyone. As the title suggests, my team was build in order to play with my favorite Pokemon, Charizard. Thanks to his dream world ability Sun Power and Ninetails' Drought he is able to perform quite well in OU. First I will present each member of the team:

[​IMG]
    Ninetails @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk. / 252 Speed
    Nature: Timid (+Speed,-Atk)
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Will-o-whisp
    ~ Energy Ball
    ~ Hidden power [Ice]
    With Drought I assure a nice sunny day during the whole battle. It's main attack is Fire Blast, which deals some STAB damage. After sun is out, he can win easily against the popular Politoad. Will-o-whisp helps against physical threats. Hidden power Ice provides a nice surprise against dragons and Gliscor. After setting up sun he can be switched out and be saved for later battle.

[​IMG]
    Charizard @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solar Power
    Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Atk)
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Solar Beam
    ~ Air Slash
    If the oponent doesn't have a fast Pokemon, Charizard can deal out quite some damage, specially with rock support. He's main objective is to sweap, and Leftovers helps him to minimize the damage taken from his ability. Fire Blast gains 3.375 power because of STAB, sun and Solar Power.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Clorophyll
    Nature: Modest (+Sp. Atk, - Atk)
    ~ Sludge Bomb
    ~ Hidden power [Fire]
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Growth
    By chosing the right moment to switch in he can easly gain +2 Sp.Atk. with Growth. With Giga Drain you can risk to use Growth again getting a +4 Sp. Atk and then heal with Giga Drain. Thanks to the sun his speed is doubled, only being stopped by a few threats. I prefer Sludge Bomb over Sleep powder in order to cover more types, since he also gains some nice STAB and Grass/Fire have some difficulties with covering.

[​IMG]
    Espeon @ Light Clay
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. Atk. / 252 Speed
    Nature: Timid (+Speed, -Atk)
    ~ Light Screen
    ~ Reflect
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire]
    Ninetails usually makes the oponent to use Stealth Rock, which can be back bounced with his ability. After that, Espeon can set up some Reflect and Light Screen, which helps Charizard to enter and Venusaur to set up Growth better. Getting often threated with Scizor, he can fight back with it's natural high Sp. Atk. and sun support thanks to HP Fire.

[​IMG]
    Donphan @ Leftovers
    Trait: Studry
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk. / 4 Def
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
    ~ Ice Shard
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stealth Rock
    Charizard's main problem are Rocks. But Donphan can take them without a problem, spinning them away and then setting up rocks himself. Ice Shard can be a good surprise attack to some threats after getting Stealth rock damage, specially Dragonite and Salamance, or even other Donphan. I wasn't sure at all to put more defense in him, since he is the physical wall of my team, but it turned out well until now.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 80 Sp. Atk / 176 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
    Nature: Calm (+Sp. Def, -Atk.)
    ~ Will-o-whisp
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Trick
    ~ Overheat

Rotom's job is to wall some special attack threats and then strike back with Overheat or tricking. He can switch in during earthquake and then Volt Switch to another pokemon. His main weapon is Overheat with sun support and STAB.

The idea behind this team

My goal was to build a team that could make good use of Charizard. Ninetails was without a doubt in it to set up sun. With sun Venusaur was a good choice to put in. The problem was their defense, so that's when Espeon came in. Finally I needed some walls. Donphan and Rotom-H become my physical and special wall. Finally there were some other choices but I refuse to use legendary Pokemon, even if they are in OU.

The main power of the team is it's synergy. I started with Donphan and Rotom-H being completely defensive, but Donphan turned out to be a nice physical attacker and Rotom-H could also deal some damage with those EV's. Thanks to Espeon, they don't need much more. Also with a good prediction Espeon's ability can do some damage to the oponent. Venusaur and Charizard are the main strike power, dealing some incredible damage.

I would apreciate any suggestion and advice. Thank you.
  2. SuperCharizardMaster

SuperCharizardMaster

(I'm not the greatest rater ever but I have some things I wanna say.)

Ninetales: 'tales needs sunny day for emergencies like if it's the only member on your team left against a tyranitar or something that takes advantage of sand/rain. If you have trouble with which move, I would personally choose Will-o-Wisp, because of accuracy.

Charizard: Not much change I can see here, Maybe recomend modest over timid for more raw power. Plus I've been trying to create a sun team myself with zard.

Venusaur: Again not much change needed.

Epseon: Run a set with this moveset Psychic/HP fire/Morning sun (or wish)/and baton pass. plus give espeon leftys. Your life will be much easier and you can troll people a lot more.

Donphan: No need for change. Good as it is.

Rotom-H: No need for change but leave the status stuff only to rotom.

Overall: Your team is like my idea of a good sun team. I would replace rotom, but that's just my personal opinion. Plus you may need to be wary of Stone edge and heatran(One of suns greatest abuser but also a good counter as well). With Zard always play carefully with him. Trust me on this. Maybe you could use dragonite with mutiscale, it's pretty good in sun teams because I've used him before. Try this set:

Name Item Ability Nature
    Dragon Dance
    Lum Berry / Leftovers Multiscale Adamant / Jolly
    Moveset EVs
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Outrage / Dragon Claw
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ ExtremeSpeed / Earthquake / Roost
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

It's tried and true and it can take advantage of fire punch's boost.
  3. Crackstar

Crackstar

Hey brah, nice team. I think I can help you out with some things to make it better. Here we go, from the top:

Ninetails doesn't need to be that fast, as what are you outspeeding? Also, that moveset isn't optimal for winning weather wars, which this team looks like it needs badly. Try this is:

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought Evs: 136 Hp / 252 SpA / 120 Spe Nature: Modest
    Sunny Day | Solarbeam | Will-O-Wisp | Fire Blast

This is probably your best bet. Sunny Day seems redundant, but it creates Sun while Politoed switches in and allows Ninetails to hit it with Solarbeam. The spread is slower, but you shouldn't be taking on Gliscor's anyway, leave that for other things. Overall, if you play this smart, you'll find that it will win you more weather wars and hit harder. On to Charzard. This may be hard to hear, but Charzard isn't really as effective in Ou as other things may be. This is why I recommend Chandelure as a replacement.

[​IMG] @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Nature: Modest
    Fire Blast | Energy Ball | Shadow Ball | Trick

Modest Scarf Chandy hits like a truck in Sun with better speed and no recoil. All the moves are obvious, and it'll work better than Zard. Try it. Venesaur looks good, maybe try a Life Orb over Black Sludge for more power, that's what I prefer, up to you. Espeon seems good as well, keep that the same. Donphan, however, needs to go. It's really deadweight, especially considering the fact Rapid Spin is no longer needed as Zard is gone and Espeon exists. Try a standard of Sun archtypes, Dugtrio. He can remove Heatran and other things that wall Chandy + Venesaur, as well as set up Rocks. This set:

[​IMG] @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap Evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Nature: Jolly
    Earthquake | Stealth Rock | Stone Edge | Memento

Standard set. EdgeQuake, Stealth Rocks, and Memento, which when paired with Screens is like a free Growth for Venesaur. Speaking of Vene, hmmm yeah change Hidden Power [Fire] to [Ice]. You lose coverage on Steels, Grasses are covered by Sludge Bomb, but the Steel thing is fixed by Chandy. The thing is you're now not walled by Dragons with both your sweepers. Try that. for Rotom-H, ehhh he isn't great in this meta, his only niche is walling Genesect which is going anyway. I'd go fast Scarfer here, as Chandy isn't that fast if Modest. Try Terrakion:

[​IMG] @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified Evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Nature: Jolly
    Close Combat | Stone Edge | Earthquake | X-Scissor

This is a fast Scarfer set that revenges lots of things well. He can sweep weakened teams and helps your Sand weakness by switching in on Ttar, possibly getting an Attack boost. Try these changes and I think your team will be fine.
  4. tasclew

tasclew

Thank you both for your tips. I made those changes on Ninetails and it works pretty well. As you said, Dragons really bother me... HP Ice could help well. Crackstar, do you have any other choice besides Terrakion in order to put out Rotom-H? I don't want really a legendary in my team.

I really apreciate your help. I tried out this instead of Terrakion:

[​IMG] Salamance @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Moxie EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk Lonely Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
  5. Crackstar

Crackstar

For a fast Scarfer I was about to say Latios, but the same problem happens... Okaay thinking about this, I'll now say go with Wobbuffet. It's a weird change, i'll grant you, but it's one of the premier revenge-killers in the game and can form a really scary trapping core with Duggy. The ability to eliminate Weather inducers is so helpful, as Chandy (or Zard) + Venesaur gets a lot of sweeps when the Sun is up. This set:

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shadow Tag Evs: 28 Hp / 252 Def / 228 SpD Nature: Bold
    Counter | Mirror Coat | Encore | Tickle

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)