SunStroke (Peaked 60 on Smogon)

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Lolcat again. 'Nother RMT. I tried a few weeks ago to turn my 4th Gen team into a 5th gen team, and it failed. I was trapped in a Gen 4 mindset, and I knew I needed a completely different team for Gen 4.

Team Building Process

I realized that there are three kinds of normally successful teams in Generation 5:
-Sand Offense
-Rain Offense
-Sun Offense

Yep, as I see it, it's either Weather or Fail this gen. If you're not running weather, then you give your opponent the advantage of controlling the battle conditions and not even challenging the opponent's sweepers to set up. Rain just got seriously nerfed, so I decided to leave Rain alone, which left me to either run Sand or Sun. Seeing the risks and benefits of both (better starters vs. extra Fire STAB) to complement the sweepers, I chose Sun. Obviously, that leads me to my first Pokemon:

Ninetales
...Controlling the tide of battle means controlling the heavens themselves...

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Timid, 252 SpA, 4 SDef, 252 Spe, Drought
-Fire Blast
-Will-o-Wisp
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power [Ground]

Ninetales is the obvious starter on my team. I lead with Ninetales if I am facing a non-weather team, even if I know my opponent will lead with Garchomp or something because starting the battle with Sun lets the other offensive powerhouses have the opportunity to attack as soon as possible. I often do not lead with Ninetales if the opponent reveals a Politoed, Hippowdon, or Tyranitar (well, maybe with Tyranitar because I can Will-o-Wisp it), but the point of Ninetales is to instantaneously shift the game's momentum in my favor by giving me immediate STAB boosts and cutting off the opponent's weather. Ninetales is using the offensive set (sans Life Orb for survivability) because I don't want him to be set up fodder and Hypnosis is inaccurate enough as it is. I already end up angry from the 37th Will-o-Miss in a row, so I want to refrain from Hypnosis. Energy Ball lets me pick off weakened Tyranitar, and HP Ground is for Heatran. Most of the time Fire Blast is the selected move because it gets double STAB which pretty much makes it unresisted because the double STAB makes up for a weakness, even if it's only off of a meager 260 Special Attack. When the Sun is up and the special walls are out against 'Tales, the physical attacking force takes the field:

...The swift move first, the slowest, never...

Blaziken @ Life Orb
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, Adamant, Speed Boost
-Flare Blitz
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-Protect

Yeah, yeah, no Swords Dance. I've used SD Blaziken before. It's not that good. It's nearly impossible to get the first Speed Boost because it needs to survive an entire turn in order to boost. It has not the bulk to get off that boost, and it sure as hell doesn't have the ability to reliably get off that boost. However, Protect is easy to use and immediately gets this flaming chicken at 372 Attack and nearly 400 Speed. Only bulky waters can stop him, and most cannot take two Hi Jump Kicks or two Stone Edges in Jellicent's case. Blaziken usually kills himself from massive recoil before sweeping, but he takes some walls out, allowing a special sweeper to finish the job, namely the king of Sun himself,

...the braver general leads from the front lines, the smarter general preserves his life...

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Modest, 4 HP 252 SpA, 252 Spe, Chlorophyll
-Growth
-Energy Ball
-Hidden Power [fire]
-Sludge Bomb

Venusaur starts the fight off with over 500 speed and amazing type coverage, but sadly walled by Heatran. I try to kill Heatran before bringing in the big guns. I try to force a switch with him, then use that opportunity to Grow. However, if the opponent's going to bring something that would prevent a sweep, I would just attack it. I use Growth only when I can secure a sweep. If the opponent has a Heatran, then I would only Grow if the Heatran's at 25% or less, as that's about how much a Growth boosted Energy Ball does to it. There's not much else to say here, it's a standard RapeuSaur. But one man cannot slay six, we need more sun smiting:

...Any man can fight with power, few can fight with grace...

Ulgamoth @ Life Orb
Timid, 252 Spa, 4 Spd, 252 Spe. Flame Body
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Butterfly Dance
-Hidden Power [Ground]

Offensive Rape Moth. With Butterfly Dancing, it's basically one and done. After one dance, Mothy can 2KO just about anything short of the Blissey family (sans Happiny, who dies to a light gust of wind). It usually comes out early game before the Stealth Rocks are down, as we know how much moths like Stealth Rocks... I only go for two dances or more if the opponent is a Bissey or Chansey, as they are both (maybe not Chansey IIRC) 2KOed by Fire Blast in the Sun. I play pretty liberally with KillMoth, as it normally can take down a pokemon or two easily. It does have problems with Rain, so we go to the Rain Check for that:

...The best offense is a good defense, and the best defense is a good offense...

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP, 40 Def, 208 SDef, Sassy
-Leech Seed
-Spikes
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball

Specially defensive Ferrothorn. Differentiates itself from SDef Skarmory and Forretress by actually being able to take a Special hit and not die. Can take unboosted HP Fires, and performs well against Rain, serving as a defensive pivot for pokemon like Politoed and Tornadus. This pokemon beats Tornadus one-on-one if it gets in safely and doesn't get confused. Also, it gets Spikes which every weather abuser is vulnerable to, so they will be under the clock to keep their weather up (though in most cases, so will I. Spikes just evens the field as little). Leech Seed is basically like reliable recovery because it heals so much all the time, and very few good pokemon are immune to it. However, it cannot take Sand hits, so we go to Mr. Sand Stopper for that:

...Durr. Durr Hurr Hurr...

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Brave, 120 HP, 252 Atk, 136 SDef, 0 IV Speed. Guts.
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Payback

Standard Bulk Up DurrPunch can stop Sand in its tracks, except for that pesky Landorus (though Payback hurts). It beats other PunchnDurrs in a Bulk Up war by being slower, which allows it to recover with Drain Punch last. It beats Doryuuzu, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and other physical threats. It can only beat Gliscor with a Guts boost and one Bulk Up. This pokemon is the glue for my team, acting as setup sweeper, revenge killer, and weather check all in one. It does exactly what it looks like it does, and needs little explanation in my opinion

Closing:

This team has gotten me to the brink of voting rights before, but usually noobs and the RNG get there first. I once slid from top 90 to the 1700s (read: one thousand seven hundreds) after ten or twenty hax filled battles. It's been hovering in the top 90-120 recently, but I need to make the jump from okay battler to voting rights soon, and that's where this great forum comes in. I sincerely thank you for all of your help whether I permanently implement your changes or not.

All the best,
Lolcat.

P.S. Obligatory RMT-closing cat picture with a holiday flair

Okay, to start off with there are other sucessful playstyles this gen then just weather. Sure it's good to have weather but it's no use if you can't abuse well enough.

team looks alright I guess. Try GIga Drain on Venusaur with a LO, it really is a lot better. Also slot EQ over HP fire or Sludge Bomb.

Don't like Ulgamoth, seeing as how you have no way of stopping Stealth Rock's. Thats going t hurt tremendously. Try something like Hydregien (the water dragon) or bulky dos or something. Maybe even a CM Reuniclus.

Okay, to start off with there are other sucessful playstyles this gen then just weather. Sure it's good to have weather but it's no use if you can't abuse well enough.

team looks alright I guess. Try GIga Drain on Venusaur with a LO, it really is a lot better. Also slot EQ over HP fire or Sludge Bomb.

Don't like Ulgamoth, seeing as how you have no way of stopping Stealth Rock's. Thats going t hurt tremendously. Try something like Hydregien (the water dragon) or bulky dos or something. Maybe even a CM Reuniclus.
Hydreigon is the new name for Sazandora, which is Dark/Dragon. To which Pokemon are you referring? :toast:

Hey Lolcat buddy! :D (also, @kwokings033, the best offense is a good defense because if you have a good defense you will find your opponents weakness in time and from there you will be able to execute their weak point. Although, I rarely use stall because I think it just is a little bit less fun imo).
Good to see you have a nice team here buddy, and I like your nintales and blaziken sets. I have to question your modest nature venusaur though, seeing as you have sludge bomb, it probably would be better if you a mix sweeping set nature (e.g. hasty), unless you don't use sludge bomb too often, or you don't find it to be too important either way.
Have you tested using Flame Dance on Ulga ? Seeing as most of the time you really can only get up one BD, its great to run timid with flame dance seeing as it increases your sp. att. If anything, I suggest you try it out.
On Ferrothorn, it's really better to just run sassy with max sp. def and hp. This set has proven to really be the most effective, (ask Iconig if you want or anyone of the test voters that took part in this convo that i think took place in the ferrothorn WIP) and worthwhile. Good set though, I find this to be the best set in most situations.
With Durr, its the standardurr, I really have no criticism or suggestions lol.

You should be careful of flying + fire + water/ground core teams seeing as they kinda beat most of these teams unless they are really outplayed by the user.

Otherwise, great job on this like usual Lolcat!
GL, and I hope this helped! :D

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey Lolcat buddy! :D (also, @kwokings033, the best offense is a good defense because if you have a good defense you will find your opponents weakness in time and from there you will be able to execute their weak point. Although, I rarely use stall because I think it just is a little bit less fun imo).
Good to see you have a nice team here buddy, and I like your nintales and blaziken sets. I have to question your modest nature venusaur though, seeing as you have sludge bomb, it probably would be better if you a mix sweeping set nature (e.g. hasty), unless you don't use sludge bomb too often, or you don't find it to be too important either way.
Have you tested using Flame Dance on Ulga ? Seeing as most of the time you really can only get up one BD, its great to run timid with flame dance seeing as it increases your sp. att. If anything, I suggest you try it out.
On Ferrothorn, it's really better to just run sassy with max sp. def and hp. This set has proven to really be the most effective, (ask Iconig if you want or anyone of the test voters that took part in this convo that i think took place in the ferrothorn WIP) and worthwhile. Good set though, I find this to be the best set in most situations.
With Durr, its the standardurr, I really have no criticism or suggestions lol.

You should be careful of flying + fire + water/ground core teams seeing as they kinda beat most of these teams unless they are really outplayed by the user.

Otherwise, great job on this like usual Lolcat!
GL, and I hope this helped! :D
Sludge bomb is a special move, has been since Gen 4. Anyway how do you deal with opposing Blazikens? The only way I can see you beating it is if you predict a protect and send in Venu that turn, praying for a speed tie win next turn, or hoping it's a Life Orb + Flare Blitz version and that it kills off half your team before Roobushin can revenge kill it.

DetroitLolcat

All the little sayings I put under the pokemon were crap I thought up in like 4 mins for more "visual appeal", except one which I copied from a Final Fantasy game. I'm going to test Flame Dance on Mothy, but I like Fire Blast more going in.

Thanks for the rates guys, and please keep them coming. I really want to fix up this team!

Oh, I'm running full Special Defense Natt now. Really helping.

why not wide lense over leftovers on ninetales. He already has low initial survivability and with wide lense your will-o-wisps and fireblasts will hit a lot more often.

Having battled this team quite a bit on some of my alts, I have to wonder if there's any reason why you run max speed on Ninetales. Ninetales actually has some nice special bulk that really helps when switching into Hyrdo Pumps from some of the weaker rain abusers or even just Politoed, and the 100 speed benchmark isn't as big as it used to be in Gen IV. Outspeeding + natured base 70s (Politoed) might be a good benchmark, but you can raise it higher if you want.

Also, like Stallion asked, how do you deal with opposing Blaziken? It can basically switch in to Tales at the start of a match and rape your whole team, especially if it doesn't have a LO. Only thing I see that's viable is protect predictions with your own ken.

Sup. Recognized you from the ladder. Pretty good team and you use it well. Some nits.

Giga Drain>Energy ball on Saur. The extra recovery helps offset LO recoil, gives it more longevity. Power diff seems negligible. HP fire is only useful for the OHKO on Natt from my experience. I'd try EQ over it because you have layers to wear Natt down and he's pretty much setup fodder for your other two sweepers anyway. EQ gives it wallbreaking potential and takes care of Tran.

Moth needs lefties if you intend to sweep with it, especially with no spinner. That way it can set up while taking some prior damage, sweep through it, and remain safe from priority. Usually the consistency and extra boosting is preferable with Flame Dance, but if you want to go balls out power, then by all means...

Offensive Ninetales isn't worth anything outside of spamming Fire Blast, only to have bulky Tar and DrizzleToed switch in to it. Lol @ Energy Ball. Use a specially bulky spread with Will-o/Protect/Toxic/Flamethrower. This adjustment gives you a check to opposing Uruga, even with HP Rock. At least able to get a last minute toxic on it. Protect will also catch Blaziken if they don't have Stone Edge.

That's all I got. Gl and I hope you can help me get to 1500. Peace

DetroitLolcat

Response to above rate:
Giga Drain is not legal. I think HP Fire is better because it allows for a Modest nature while getting a sun boost, and it's a choice who to let wall me: Nattorei or Heatran. I chose Heatran because it's already covered well. I will test out the defensive Ninetales set, I already seem to like it a little. I don't intend to use Mothy as a sweeper full on, more as an early game momentum getter/Heatran eliminator so I want to go balls out with moth. It's not made to survive.

Thank you for the rate, the defensive Tales set seems to help.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hello lolcat,

okay since this is a decent team my rates will be short for this team. firstly, i don't see what a conkeldurr has overa physical defensive gliscor. to be honest, a sand storm team can run dents to your team without a proper check from the sizable amount of physical attacking ground-type there is. stuff like doryuzu, physical landlos, and even terakion can be a problematic pokemon for your team. an impish gliscor with the evs 252 hp / 176 def / 80 spe and the moveset swords dance / earthquake / ice fang / protect and the item toxic orb is sufficient enough. i chose the sd set because i figured you'd want to keep your offensive momentum with the loss of conkeldurr. gliscor acts as a defensive blanket versus many physical attackers (mainly infested with ground-types), that among others like conkeldurr, lucario, etc. the speed allows you to outpace the fastest tyranitar with ice beam. consider it! if its not important (which i think is preferential) just maximise its physical potency with 252 hp / 240 def / 16 spe!

as for other options, try out more survivability! 252 hp / 4 def / 252 spe on ninetales adds more bulk. you need ninetales over the offensive prowess it has atm. thunder wave over leech seed on ferrothorn means fire-types such as sd blaziken, bd volcarona, etc can never set up easily on you because fire-types in particular seems problematic. sd blaziken can destroy your team as soon as it switches in on ferrothorn. it can protect on blaziken to beat it in speed boost game. try it out! overall gl.

DetroitLolcat

Looking back, defensive Ninetales is definitely staying, but I think I'm going to keep Conkeldurr over Gliscor at this rate. Conkeldurr can set up well, and has recovery in Drain Punch. Gliscor has really failed to hold its own on this team because it cannot hit levitating foes for sufficient damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)