Super Mystery Dungeon (Spoilers abound!)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Serebii has beaten the epilogue and hasn't seen a single Hidden Ability, so they might not exist in the game.

Evolution has been simplified so that any Pokemon that evolves with any method that isn't level up will be able to evolve immediately without any special items. This includes Stone evolutions.

I just realized that every single member of Team Charm got a mega evolution. Random coincidence probably, but an interesting little trivia.

Since there are monster houses again, any word on the room clearing moves (like Silver Wind, Discharge, and Ominous Wind)?

Karxrida

I just realized that every single member of Team Charm got a mega evolution. Random coincidence probably, but an interesting little trivia.

Since there are monster houses again, any word on the room clearing moves (like Silver Wind, Discharge, and Ominous Wind)?
Serebii said the basic mechanics have not been changed for stuff like that. They function the same.

Also apparently you can only obtain one of each species because of the Connection Orbs.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm playing it really slowly because 1. I'm busy, 2. this is my first mystery dungeon game and I suck at it.
I can't believe I already lost the dungeon for the 2nd boss.
It's way more difficult than I thought.
Oh, and some Pokemon hit really hard, like 75% of your HP per turn.

Gabite is the first boss. He collects gems.

None of the Pokemon believe that main character used to be human.

Magnezone and Magneton are security guards.

Audino tried teaching about evolution.
Your classmate asks whether it's the thing that makes them grow bigger.
But Audino's lecture is interrupted by Roselia, because her Budew was missing.

Beedrill is the second boss.

Beedrill are defeated.
(Can't believe that I lost this dungeon once. I decided to shut down my 3DS so I can retain my items.)

Beedrill's icon pops up after defeat.

Karxrida

Triggering Mega Evolution and Awakening requires a key item called a Looplet with an item called an Emera. I've asked Serebii for specifics since it sounds like there are multiple Emera types that do different things.

Also you can get more than one of each species based off of gender, alternate formes, etc.

Last edited:
When you access the Connection Orb map, you'll be able to see the Pokémon you have seen and their connections. Often connections are based on in-game friendships from all Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games, such as with Team ACT from Red/Blue Exploration Team and Team Charm from Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. ~ Serebii

So basically, that Grovyle and Dusknoir being linked on the relation chart thing people found? A reference and nothing more. If they are returning, well; Serebii's noted nothing about it and they're in the aftergame, and it certainly won't have anything to do with what was found in the trailer. Sorry to ruin your day

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a few things you guys should probably know:

- You cannot choose your own gender but you can choose your partner's. I highly recommend you choose the gender you're attracted to, as the character's personality tends to be... a little on the cute side (that's probably the best way I can put it) and would probably put you off if you chose the other gender. Since your character's gender isn't specified there's no romantic thing that happens, so don't get your hopes up/be worried. Every pokemon also have different personalities (probably one that matches the questionnaire).

- This game is HARD. Really, it'll probably make little kids cry. Even normal pokemon in dungeons can kick your ass, they always use moves, and there are things like Salamence pretty early on which gives you an insane amount of trouble.

- I would NOT recommend a water starter (except Froakie, which has a lot of utility in its moveset). There are so many electric types early game that body you completely (like fucking heliolisk). Also, DON'T choose Snivy. It's probably the worst choice from a usefulness standpoint (though people claim its character is really cute). S-tier starters are definitely Riolu and Charmander.

Cresselia~~

Just a few things you guys should probably know:

- You cannot choose your own gender but you can choose your partner's. I highly recommend you choose the gender you're attracted to, as the character's personality tends to be... a little on the cute side (that's probably the best way I can put it) and would probably put you off if you chose the other gender. Since your character's gender isn't specified there's no romantic thing that happens, so don't get your hopes up/be worried. Every pokemon also have different personalities (probably one that matches the questionnaire).

- This game is HARD. Really, it'll probably make little kids cry. Even normal pokemon in dungeons can kick your ass, they always use moves, and there are things like Salamence pretty early on which gives you an insane amount of trouble.

- I would NOT recommend a water starter (except Froakie, which has a lot of utility in its moveset). There are so many electric types early game that body you completely (like fucking heliolisk). Also, DON'T choose Snivy. It's probably the worst choice from a usefulness standpoint (though people claim its character is really cute). S-tier starters are definitely Riolu and Charmander.
OOOOOHHHHHH!!! I must say that I find this game REEEAALLLY hard!!
I already lost once for the 2nd boss (already!), and I lost 4 times for the 3rd boss! (not counting rescue team) . 4th boss was comparatively ok, but I did use the rescue team twice.
Even rescueing the main team is hard.

I hate how when one of your Pokemon gets knocked out, the opposing wild Pokemon will evolve and usually becomes invincible.

I just... haven't played a game that is this hard. I've played Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, but Super Mystery Dungeon is even harder.

Karxrida

Apparently you can't nickname anything. DragonWhale or Cresselia~~ can you confirm this?

There's some kind of dumb system that restricts the use of high-level Pokemon temporarily after taking them into enough dungeons, and it even carries over into the postgame according to Serebii. At least I know what the Scrappy Mechanic is now when I'm doing TV Tropes editing.

Egg Moves may also be nonexistent. Serebii went to the tutor to teach a Cofagrigus Heal Block and it didn't work.

Grovyle and co. have been confirmed to be in the game. Serebii hasn't stated if there is any narrative involved with them; right now it just looks like you get them with Connection Orbs with no strings attatched.

More info here. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...geon-Discovery-Thread&p=17800615#post17800615
That's just a connection orb thing; there's literally nothing stating if this is actually the characters from PMD2. It could - and likely is - just a callback more than anything.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apparently you can't nickname anything. DragonWhale or Cresselia~~ can you confirm this?

There's some kind of dumb system that restricts the use of high-level Pokemon temporarily after taking them into enough dungeons, and it even carries over into the postgame according to Serebii. At least I know what the Scrappy Mechanic is now when I'm doing TV Tropes editing.

Egg Moves may also be nonexistent. Serebii went to the tutor to teach a Cofagrigus Heal Block and it didn't work.
You can nn.

Karxrida

The Mega Evolution Emeras can only be found in dungeons.

After being Mega Evolved for a certain amount of time, you'll go beserk and start attacking everything (including teammates).

Reactions: JES
The Mega Evolution Emeras can only be found in dungeons.

After being Mega Evolved for a certain amount of time, you'll go beserk and start attacking everything (including teammates).
Well, I guess that defensive Mega Evolutions like Slowbro won't work very well in this game. Actually, is Slowbronite even available in this game?

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I always loved the plots of Dungeon games (except the newer bad ones), one of my fav things about the series, so I was wondering: How's the plot/pacing in this game? I heard they sort of force you to move fast with story quests leaving little time for grinding or sidequests, this true?

no spoilers please D:

I'm interested in that too. Like can you eyeball it for me, is the plot anything on par with Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky? Or at least a little like Gates to Infinity (it wasn't Explorers, but not bad)?

Just as long as it's not like *shudder* the Wii games [thunderclap and horse whinny].

Reactions: JES
I want this game so much. How much does Chimchar/Riolu work? That seems like my ideal squad. Also, does dialogue of characters remain after you evolve your starter/partner? One thing that really irritated me first Mystery Dungeon was how once you evolved your starter/partner, the starter/partner would stop talking altogether. Really hurt the atmosphere as it made evolution some dehumanizing process. :(

Cresselia~~

so anyone played the games yet? plot y/n?
I'm stuck after the 4th boss.
I think I'm on chapter 11 or so.

This game is really difficult. Wild Pokemon levels rise very sharply, and they evolve if one of your Pokemon goes down. Basically you automatically lose.

so anyone played the games yet? plot y/n?
Like it says in the trailers, the story is considerably longer than PMD4: Gates to Infinity. And yes, the after credits arc is longer, though not by much. The conflict with the villain focuses around a mysterious creature I call The Darkness trying to turn the world's Pokemon into stone. No idea why, but I assume since its 2 cousins tried to destroy the world simply to destroy it, it most likely has similar reasons,

Karxrida

You revealed the villain's identity, which from what I gathered from Serebii is a lategame reveal. Put it in hidetags or don't post shit like that.

You revealed the villain's identity, which from what I gathered from Serebii is a lategame reveal. Put it in hidetags or don't shit like that.
But I DIDN'T reveal his cousins' identities. Beside, I don't even know his name. I call him The Darkness because of what he looks like and his attacks.

And also, I deleted that post about you-know-who.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
arthas972, you can't spoil the primary antagonist(s) of a new game (even if you don't literally say the thing's name but instead hint at who it is massively) and not expect there to be annoyance, especially when the vast majority of the site don't have access to the game yet. It's like leaking the last chapter of a book but not any of the chapters before it; even though you didn't reveal the whole book, you still ruined the story.

arthas972, you can't spoil the primary antagonist(s) of a new game (even if you don't literally say the thing's name but instead hint at who it is massively) and not expect there to be annoyance, especially when the vast majority of the site don't have access to the game yet. It's like leaking the last chapter of a book but not any of the chapters before it; even though you didn't reveal the whole book, you still ruined the story.
At least I didn't say how it ends. That woulda been a REAL spoiler. All I'll say is that a lot of this game is unlike any of the other PMD games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)