Super Mystery Dungeon (Spoilers abound!)

So we finally got a new trailer

My word does Pokémon like to tell us nothing. We can at least see that you can be one of all 18 starter Pokémon; so no cuts as we were thinking, and... uh... there's a ton of legendaries I guess??? Town looks nice.
More Pokemon is already an improvement over Gates to Infinity imo! Even though we learned little, this trailer has sparked my hype!

I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game before. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm probably not going to get this one either, because I already spend enough time on my 3DS between Alpha Sapphire, Shuffle, and Rumble World already as it is, unless this turns out to be really good, and like really recommended.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
So we finally got a new trailer

My word does Pokémon like to tell us nothing. We can at least see that you can be one of all 18 starter Pokémon; so no cuts as we were thinking, and... uh... there's a ton of legendaries I guess??? Town looks nice.
Oh my! The graphics look gorgeous.
Looks like every Pokemon is getting new 3D models in this.

But... the dialogue says that Pokemon are turning into stones?
What's this "Mineralization"/ "Petrification" (石化) they are talking about?
Is it Mystery Dungeon exclusive feature, or are they leaking something from the next games?

Last edited:
Oh my! The graphics look gorgeous.
Looks like every Pokemon is getting new 3D models in this.

But... the dialogue says that Pokemon are turning into stones?
What's this "Mineralization"/ "Petrification" (石化) they are talking about?
Is it Mystery Dungeon exclusive feature, or are they leaking something from the next games?
Actually, what does the whole thing translate to? Most of us here can't read Japanese, so...
And is the bit about 720 something like "All 720 Pokémon in the game!"?

Cresselia~~

Actually, what does the whole thing translate to? Most of us here can't read Japanese, so...
And is the bit about 720 something like "All 720 Pokémon in the game!"?
Yes, it means there will be 720 Pokemon in the game-- all Pokemon except Volcanion.

The first 3 dialogues (from pictures 2~4) say that Pokemon are turning into stones.
Kyogre says "Petrification... you say...?"
Lugia says "Come here, legendary and mysterious Pokemon..."
Zekrom says " (something that's missing) ... turns into stone."

But something seems to be missing between these sentences-- they probably cut a few screens out and that these pictures are not consecutive towards each other.

Some Japanese people on Twitter are guessing it's a new status ailment.

I'm guessing the Petrification is going to be one of the main plot points of the story, like how Time/Darkness involved the Time Gears and the future being paralyzed and everything. Given the context of what the legendaries are saying I can't see it being a status ailment.

Cresselia~~

I'm guessing the Petrification is going to be one of the main plot points of the story, like how Time/Darkness involved the Time Gears and the future being paralyzed and everything. Given the context of what the legendaries are saying I can't see it being a status ailment.
Probably. Probably Dungeon exclusive too.

I'm not sure if it's too much to ask for, but I really want Super Mystery Dungeon to have multiple languages in one cartridge.
I always feel like I'm missing a lot of funny stuff when I play the Japanese versions. (especially puns) But I don't want to spend the money to buy an English 3DS.

I spotted Riolu in the starter circle, so in the barest sense we're not limited solely to starters and Pikachu. I feel like the Legendaries being shown off entails a much greater plot relevance for them than other games, since in most other games, bar one who was central to the overall story (Rayquaza, Dialga, Kyurem) the legendaries were more just there to fill the role of boss.

Maybe the Pertification thing will be a bit like the Rust in Rumble Blast, where it was a plot point and a game mechanic.

The one issue I hope gets amended is the overall flow of the game. Gates to Infinity felt very stilted to play because of the abundance of long cutscenes, and something about the 3D style made dungeons play slower, to say nothing of other bad design choices.

Stone? Many of us are forgetting the 17th movie. Stone may actually refer to Yveltal's Oblivion Wing. In addition Pokémon XY also has stone Pokémon with AZ. A human was a dark figure in the past of Pokémon Red and Blue Mystery Dungeon. Perhaps a similar AZ human created a weapon that made turned many Pokémon into stone. Those are just some references to stone I see.

Cresselia~~

It seems that if we fill in the gaps, the whole thing means Legendary Pokemon are turning into stones.
At least many Japanese people are saying this.

I'm surprised that Serebii / Pokebeach didn't put translations of the dialogues on their front page.
Might go to the forum to see if they translated any.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Oh, guess this hasn't made it here yet...
English might be easier! :p
So, a summary of info from this trailer:
  • Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon goes back to the whole "human turned into a Pokémon" plotline.
  • Lombre says that there has been a "rash of incidents of Pokémon turning to stone!"
  • Something about an "expedition society". However, all we know about this society is that they don't let kids join.
  • There are 20 starter Pokémon. These are the 18 core-series starters, Pikachu, and Riolu. No more are going to be added in the future, since the narrator says a very definite "20 starters".
  • All of the other 720 Pokémon will be available
This is looking to be an extremely promising game. It's going back to the roots of the franchise (I haven't played Gates to Infinity yet, but I don't think it does the "human into Pokémon" or "natural disaster" thing, right?).

Can I just say that I am very hyped for this game (as shown by my signature) and I that I am glad that Chunsoft have heavily improved upon GTI, e.g all 720 Pokemon and the re-introduction of the Hunger mechanic. The only annoying thing is the European release date (why?), but I can wait, and also I'll have Christmas money!

Edited for correctness

Last edited:
Oh, guess this hasn't made it here yet...
English might be easier! :p
So, a summary of info from this trailer:
  • Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon goes back to the whole "human turned into a Pokémon" plotline.
  • Lombre says that there has been a "rash of incidents of Pokémon turning to stone!"
  • Something about an "expedition society". However, all we know about this society is that they don't let kids join.
  • There are 20 starter Pokémon. These are the 18 core-series starters, Pikachu, and Riolu. No more are going to be added in the future, since the narrator says a very definite "20 starters".
  • All of the other 720 Pokémon will be available
This is looking to be an extremely promising game. It's going back to the roots of the franchise (I haven't played Gates to Infinity yet, but I don't think it does the "human into Pokémon" or "natural disaster" thing, right?).
Gates does do the "human into Pokemon" bit, but it changes the natural disaster into more of a spiritual disaster materialized into a physical form.

Honestly I hope they bring back the personality quiz aspect, I thought that was a nice touch. Though not quite the selection Explorers of Sky had, having so many available compared to Gates is a huge step in the right direction (I'm thinking a Riolu-Fennekin Team). However, what they really need to do is bring back the mechanics from the original 2 PMD games that were removed in Gates (multiple abilities for the Pokemon, evolving at a certain location and not in the middle of a dungeon, accepting multiple missions and hunger especially. That mechanic made some dungeons brutal). I also hope they make this one longer, gates was much too short.

I will reward Gates, however, for superb story content despite the lacking length. Being honest, it was the only PMD game that when I completed the main story line and my character began to return to the human world that cried at. That game was intensely emotional.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I think that Super Mystery Dungeon isn't going to be as much a "natural disaster" storyline as it will be a "take down evil Pokémon! :O" sort of thing. There is no "natural disaster" which turns Pokémon into stone, so this must have some sort of "human" (in this case Pokémon but hey) intervention in order for the story to work. While explorers had some odd explanations for things (time getting messed up makes mystery dungeons appear. Logic!) there's really no way to pass Pokémon turning to stone off as natural disasters, or some gear being taken from an area or whatever.

Plus, when did the whole "turning to stone" thing happen in Pokémon before?

If Mewtwo is the primary antagonist in this game it'll be a really neat callback.

Cresselia~~

I think that Super Mystery Dungeon isn't going to be as much a "natural disaster" storyline as it will be a "take down evil Pokémon! :O" sort of thing. There is no "natural disaster" which turns Pokémon into stone, so this must have some sort of "human" (in this case Pokémon but hey) intervention in order for the story to work. While explorers had some odd explanations for things (time getting messed up makes mystery dungeons appear. Logic!) there's really no way to pass Pokémon turning to stone off as natural disasters, or some gear being taken from an area or whatever.

Plus, when did the whole "turning to stone" thing happen in Pokémon before?

If Mewtwo is the primary antagonist in this game it'll be a really neat callback.
I think it's more likely to be Yveltal than Mewtwo.
Why would they return to star an old Pokemon?

I don't think that the main antagonist is going to be a pokemon at all. All the legendaries are in the game, and no single one stands out as far more powerful or evil than all the rest, so I don't see how they could make a single legendary the antagonist. I think that it will be more similar to red/blue rescue team with the meteor and all, or some other (super)natural force.

I don't think that the main antagonist is going to be a pokemon at all. All the legendaries are in the game, and no single one stands out as far more powerful or evil than all the rest, so I don't see how they could make a single legendary the antagonist. I think that it will be more similar to red/blue rescue team with the meteor and all, or some other (super)natural force.
We haven't seen Yveltal yet, and it is generally thought of as pretty evil.

Yveltal's not necessarily evil, but its power seems the closest in relation to the petrification idea (if the newest movie might mean anything), and if EoS is any indication, the Pokemon with power over the crisis doesn't necessarily have to be the one that's actually evil.

That said, we've had 3 main Mystery Dungeon stories, and in 2 of them, the cause of the disasters was a non-Pokemon entity (the meteor in Rescue Team, and the Bittercold in GTI), and also twice a case where the Pokemon serving as the heavy antagonist was also not directly the villain (Dialga and Kyurem manipulated by Darkrai and the Bittercold, respectively). So really, anything goes for finding a villain/antagonistic force in this game.

I am really hype for this, I honestly need 3 things in my PMD games:
All current Pokemon aviable
Hard dungeons
Good Story

Gimme that and I am satisfied. So far one of them seems to be fullfilled (first point), and second and third hopefully too~
I am hyped.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Movies don't necessarily point to anything, as they're not canon to the games and are written by a different group of people. They might pull of GTI on us and make the cause be some Eldritch abomination like the Bittercold, or just make it some fantasy disease caused by a random Legendary using wrong context magic or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)