Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I agree with EonX Rosalina has a pretty unfair advantage with Luma. I hate to be the type of guy who calls things broken but basing in the results of tourneys and matches I have had Rosalina is the best character in the entire game and a bit broken IMO. While killing Luma is a good option (still takes time and you'll get damage) Rosalina isn't useless without Luma and will get a new one after a while.
In a sense I see Rosalina in Smash Bros like Mega Kanga in Pokemon XY; having a second character is pretty dam good and while it isn't as powerful as Rosalina (or mommy kanga) it still gives you a superior advantage over your opponent and before you start with "Oh but Ice Climbers..." remember that when Nana didn't respawned like Luma and that Popo alone was way worse than Rosalina alone.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
So my thoughts on how the tier list will look:
1. Rosalina and Luma
2-7: Lucario, Little Mac, Greninja, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Bowser ---these are pretty universally hyped and agreed upon that they're quite good
below those 7 is kinda opinion tbh, but it'd be something like Fox, Sonic, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight, Bowser Jr., King Dedede and Duck Hunt Dog
then another tier of usable characters, and finally a tier for shit that's just bad (lookin at you Palutena and Kirby)

here's preliminary tiers based on tourney results btw

Hi please don't believe anything eventhubs says about tiers in any fighting game ever. Their system is ridiculous and largely based on the dumb opinions their userbase, which consists of people too casual for for shoryuken/dustloop/smashboards/etc.

Pic of the day. Tips will display in three columns in the Wii U version. There's more content, which includes descriptions of the original games. This game seems to never run out of easter eggs, even if you play it normally. Knowing that this will get translated into multiple languages, I shouldn't go overboard with the contents, though....

I've found that a patient little mac is the scariest thing to face. He will just sit back and use his super armor to poke, and when you make a mistake he is there to punish HARD. I do think that mac is a good character only because his ground game makes up for everything else if you know what to do. (Basically you dont get to have the best ground game ever and be bad)
Meta knight is so hard to use its not even funny, his range is disgusting and deceptive. They pretty much nerfed him into the ground. His only saving grace is how strong his specials are, but its still hard to kill people. Heres a video if you guys have not seen it.
Besides that, Lucario is really underhyped. His aura buff was rediculous, making him so strong he can kill with aura spheres at like 80%

Yeah but lucario is really really hard to get kills with until you hit about 60-80%. His smash attacks are so slow and everything else lacks the power. Your best betis his really slow and missable counter.

That being said, I've 2-stocked and been 2-stocked so many times from Luc once it hits the 100%+ range. When it dies though it is a huge set back.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, Lucario is a lot more aura-dependent, which means you have to put yourself in danger to be good but the payoff is amazing. With custom equipment you can make him completely overpowered by giving him something with the all-around tradeoff attribute (you start at 60% and your stats gradually increase).

I find the low-aura attributes to be quite helpful for racking up damage in non-custom play. This furry can utilt chain about as well as Mario. Lucario can almost function off of his specials alone past 80%. It's actually hilarious.

Funny story, my old Brawl rival finally got their wireless working for this game and we played. This guy outplays me freakishly consistently, but against his Ludwig an aurified Force Palm shuts down his entire ground game, even the bombs and cannons get popped while knocking him onto the ground easily. If you do not have a reliable approach against defensive Force Palm spam you're just going to die from an Aura Sphere read eventually. The fact that Ludwig's offscreens all have poor frames were a big factor.

Last edited:
Lucario's approach options feel pretty bad. His ability to shorthop isn't very good (it feels very floaty), and his bair takes a while to get out and doesn't last very long pretty much making the reverse bair approach null. I feel like you are forced to dash attack or grab to approach the opponent.

His combo options are pretty limited, although at lower percents you can juggle them with uptilt.

They really need to either speed up his fsmash, or make its recovery faster because damn, everytime I accidentally do it over a neutral/tilt I get punished so easily. There's literally no reason to use it over side-B, since it can't even punish rolls (you can roll twice before it gets off lmfao).

I feel like you are trapped into going balls deep at low %s then playing a projectile/roll spam game once you get to high %s, especially given that his only kill moves on stage are his retardedly slow smashes. Since his bair is so slow you are better just using aurasphere to edge-guard (his fair lacks knockback).

Edit: And we don't talk about his counter, oml that recovery...

Last edited:
I haven't played much lucario, he just seemed alot better then he actually is I suppose. The character im loving right now is captain falcon though. Buffed in all the right areas so hes not ass like in brawl. Has true combos, is fast and pretty strong. Learning him has been fun.

thing about lucario is you suck until you actually get aura boost shits. before then your moves do shit damage while also having shit knockback (as opposed to shit damage big knockback)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
thing about lucario is you suck until you actually get aura boost shits. before then your moves do shit damage while also having shit knockback (as opposed to shit damage big knockback)
That is kind of an issue, especially if you lose your 1st stock before getting a KO, but I find it's generally easy enough to play around. While you do shit damage at first, Lucario's aura boosts make it to where you can literally use ESpeed whenever to recover, making Luke almost impossible to edge guard. And it also forces you to offscreen Luke; otherwise he will make it back.

thing is that espeed is a really weird recovery and its hard to grab ledge sometimes depending how far off you are. Half the time I find myself landing on stage, which isn't bad if you're at a high percent and can get farther away since they'll most likely be guarding edge.

You can be hit mid espeed tho so it's not 100% safe recovery, and he is relatively easy to gimp at low %s due to the scaling (wtf you doin' near edge at low %s m8?).

If his bair was actually useful I wouldn't mind all the problems he has, but if you go down one stock first you are screwed unless you play that last stock as nothing but projectile/roll spam. He just has legit no decent options to finish off people offstage when he is at low % unless you try to gimp them (you can't even chase very far due to espeed scaling).

Edit: Not to mention he is lighter than in Brawl.

Last edited:
lucario's bair is as good an approach option as doc's fair cuz they're both meant for offstage kills, SH double fair outshines reversal approaching by far so i see no reason to bring it up lol. abusing low knockback early on for ez combos is also a lucario fundamental so like idk. and relying on force palm definitely isn't a bad thing lol, it's the rock smash/mach tornado of smash 4.

I'm pretty sure you could remove the stands, but I think you're right about the trophy limit. Another thing to note is that it seems you can actually adjust the tropy positions vertically, which was annoyingly not possible in Brawl.

Also, are those the Fatal Frame girls?

This feature was in brawl, wasn't it? I actually can't remember.
Yes

I think in brawl you couldn't remove the stand for the trophy. And you were limited to 4 trophies, when this seems to have 5.
You could remove the stand, and the Fatal Fame girls are 1 trophy. I assume this game also has a 4 trophy limit.

Another thing to note is that it seems you can actually adjust the tropy positions vertically, which was annoyingly not possible in Brawl.
I don't see it, can you point it out?

It could be just a matter of camera perspective, but the Master Hand and Superspicy Curry trophies do look like they are higher in the air, which allows the Zael trophy to "grab" the curry.

Considering how the Curry trophy usually is scaled (pretty big when placed next to characters, and placed very close to it's trophy stand), the only explanation is that you can now place trophies in the air.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)