Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

I don't think that we will get any indie third-party as playable characters tbh. The current third-parties are basically legends that easily eclips any other character in the roster besides Mario, Pika, Link and DK in terms of influence and popularity. Guys such as Rayman and Simon Belmont are comparable to them. Shantae and Shovel Knight unfortunately aren't.

But Nintendo characters like King K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Inklings, Dixie Kong and Wolf have as big, if not bigger campaigns. They would need to outright dominating polls for them being seriously considered over Nintendo characters, some of which, like K. Rool, have been advocated for Smash for 10 years straight, and they are only having decent results. I mean, even Sonic and Rockman probably wouldn't be there if it weren't for the absurd amount of demand for them in Smash.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
IDK, based on personal experience I would say that the biggest 4 fan campaigns would be King K. Rool, Shantae/Wolf, and Shovel Knight in that respective order. The thing is that of the 4, Wolf/Shantae/Shovel Knight have new games/dlc coming out to advertise, and Shovel Knight/Shantae have had their developers go out of their way to contact Nintendo about working together. King K. Rool might have a big base, but he's already in as a Mii skin (not an automatic DQ) AND he's a character that hasn't been in any games in ages + Rare can't exactly vouch for him. I'm glad that he got in, and I'm hoping that every big character that doesn't get in becomes a Mii, but I don't see him going from a Mii Skin to a character.

Also I kind of think Wolf will come out as DLC whenever the new Star Fox does.

While I'm pissing off the Internet, maybe Krystal too? It'd be nice to get a bo staff character in smash (Palutena's pointy stick doesn't count).

Last edited:
I don't think that we will get any indie third-party as playable characters tbh. The current third-parties are basically legends that easily eclips any other character in the roster besides Mario, Pika, Link and DK in terms of influence and popularity. Guys such as Rayman and Simon Belmont are comparable to them. Shantae and Shovel Knight unfortunately aren't.

shulk

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Monolith Soft, Inc.(株式会社モノリスソフト Kabushiki-Gaisha Monorisu Sofuto?) is a Japanese video game development studio and a subsidiary of Nintendo.

Looks to me like Nintento pretty much owns Monolith Soft.

Shantae and Shovel Knight both have big chances of making it in the game. WayForward has basically only developed games on Ninty consoles and Shantae has only ever been on them. Shovel Knight on the other hand has pretty big success on the 3DS. They're both pretty popular in demand. But maybe Shovel Knight has less of a chance in making it cuz the game was released on all consoles anyway.

Being only on Nintendo consoles definitely isn't a requirement. Hell, you can count Metal Gear games on Nintendo systems on one hand, and Street Fighter V isn't coming on Wii U.
However, being a worldwide icon definitely is a requirement, based on precedents and Sakurai own words when he revealed MegaMan("not anyone can get in" or something on those lines).

to my understanding this prevents marth from breaking full shields in a single, uncharged hit

sheik really needs a nerf tho (or other characters need buffs)

the shrug haha

Am I the only one who is upset that sheiks f-air didn't get some type of frame change? Virtually no end or start lag, combos into itself, can be chained for years if you make the smallest of a mistake. Just seems it needed a slight tweak to me but I'm just a casual so w/e

the shrug haha

Am I the only one who is upset that sheiks f-air didn't get some type of frame change? Virtually no end or start lag, combos into itself, can be chained for years if you make the smallest of a mistake. Just seems it needed a slight tweak to me but I'm just a casual so w/e
I think that because of the huge engine change with the increased shield stun they were hesitant to do any major change to the characters. Notice how the only significant change is the nerf to Luigi's down throw.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
That nerf is crazy, I was playing as Luigi last night to get back into it a bit... People bouncing all over the place :(

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
the shrug haha

4 Fairs from Sheik in a row: 16-20% (usually 16 cuz it'll get stale quickly and you can get the sourspot)
Captain Falcon's Dthrow > Nair: 16%
Luigi's Dthrow > Fair > Fair: ~18%
Luigi's Dthrow > Usmash: ~20%
Ding Dong: 23%

In terms of damage it's either the same or worse than other 2-move combos. The only thing is it gives really good stage positioning. Most characters have amazing recoveries anyway so they can't just easily be that gimped.

If you nerf Sheik's frame data she won't even be top 5 or even 10.

That nerf is crazy, I was playing as Luigi last night to get back into it a bit... People bouncing all over the place :(
It's not even close to crazy. The only nerf Luigi /really/ got was that they removed his braindead kill options. He no longer has dthrow > down b or dthrow > bair (or nair at like 130-140%), but he still got ridiculous combos and one of the best usmash in the game, as well as a lagless dsmash. And his dair got buffed.

Also that comeback from Anti is impressive and all but it's just another typical Mario ladder combo lol. That's why I never counterpick FD/DL when I'm against Mario.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
If you nerf Sheik's frame data she won't even be top 5 or even 10.
They said this about Diddy Kong about 6 different times. "All of the things propping this character up got deleted, characters dead"

And he kept coming back into the top spots, every time.

For small nudges to catapult characters up or down tiers, you need an extremely well balanced game to begin with. Smash 4's balance isn't tight enough to drop Sheik out of top 5 if Fair was tweaked so you couldn't chain them, especially since with how changes happen in this game, since it'd probly get like a ~2% damage boost for its framedata and knockback being screwed with so badly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)