is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR ABADONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR ABADONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR ABADONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RAISE YOUR ABADONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

i mean obviously bayonetta is complete cancer but it's really hard to say anything bad about the meta when they never even do well because the top 20 or so players aren't picking them up? i know you're talking about cloud too but i think he's fine, just needs limit side b to be toned down because seriously why is that even a move

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
i mean obviously bayonetta is complete cancer but it's really hard to say anything bad about the meta when they never even do well because the top 20 or so players aren't picking them up? i know you're talking about cloud too but i think he's fine, just needs limit side b to be toned down because seriously why is that even a move
JS, 9b didn't win Shots Fired 2 with Bayonetta, and he was once considered to literarily be the best Brawl Player in the world, Salem is similarly renowned, and Komorikiri IS a top 10 Smash 4 player.

IMO people get mad at Bayonetta because Witch Time is legitimately a poorly designed move that works even better in online and try to justify their hate based off of competitive results that do NOT paint a picture of "the best character in the game".

I honestly completely forgot that 9B or Komorikiri had bayos but that doesn't change the fact that the character is horribly designed, she has so many safe options that just happen to lead to death combos and a move that can kill because of the tiniest mistakes. Even prepatch MK had only one death combo starter that wasn't di-able and that only worked at specific percent windows, bayonetta can kill you off of one mistake at basically any percent all while being very safe herself. That's just cancerous design that's legitimately horrible for the game, regardless of whether or not she actually wins tournaments.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You can't really point at her lack of tournament wins and use that as evidence of her not being toxic/bad for the game/terribly designed/dominates everyone else, because when people train characters that they've used for over a year now you can't expect them to drop them for a character that was released ~2 months ago, and the top players are significantly better than most bayo players so that's also probably the biggest reason.

Even with that though, a bayo player who never made waves before bayo was released (saj, a previously peach main from socal i think? i forgot) managed to upset nairo and mr. r lol.

also unfixable i forgot to point this out in my last post but picking a main isn't the only reason to buy a character.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You can't really point at her lack of tournament wins and use that as evidence of her not being toxic/bad for the game/terribly designed/dominates everyone else, because when people train characters that they've used for over a year now you can't expect them to drop them for a character that was released ~2 months ago, and the top players are significantly better than most bayo players so that's also probably the biggest reason.

Even with that though, a bayo player who never made waves before bayo was released (saj, a previously peach main from socal i think? i forgot) managed to upset nairo and mr. r lol.

also unfixable i forgot to point this out in my last post but picking a main isn't the only reason to buy a character.

I'm not making the claim that Bayonetta isn't dumb, Witch Time is stupid, but people are making her out to be a lot more worse than she actually is. She's a top tier character with a comparatively bad neutral and an amazing punish game that has a lot of good matchups but ultimately at least 3 losing one's (Sonic, Diddy, Sheik).

When Saj was a Peach main he beat Anti Mario Peach, and basing results off of Nairo in this tournament is dumb considering he also lost to a Robin cosplayer in losers pools.

At the end of the day the two biggest tournament placings with DLC characters in singles are still 9B taking 3rd at Umebura FAT with Ryu and Abadango winning Pound with Mewtwo. In doubles it's all Cloud. Bayonetta's a really good character with some really dumb suff, but she isn't some insurmountable and unbeatable character, and she's not #1 like prepatch Sheik or one year ago Diddy Kong or melee Fox.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not making the claim that Bayonetta isn't dumb, Witch Time is stupid, but people are making her out to be a lot more worse than she actually is. She's a top tier character with a comparatively bad neutral and an amazing punish game that has a lot of good matchups but ultimately at least 3 losing one's (Sonic, Diddy, Sheik).

When Saj was a Peach main he beat Anti Mario Peach, and basing results off of Nairo in this tournament is dumb considering he also lost to a Robin cosplayer in losers pools.

At the end of the day the two biggest tournament placings with DLC characters in singles are still 9B taking 3rd at Umebura FAT with Ryu and Abadango winning Pound with Mewtwo. In doubles it's all Cloud. Bayonetta's a really good character with some really dumb suff, but she isn't some insurmountable and unbeatable character, and she's not #1 like prepatch Sheik or one year ago Diddy Kong or melee Fox.
Bayonetta doesn't have a bad neutral. She has an extremely safe poke on shield (divekick) that if successfully connected can lead into a death combo.. how can she have a bad neutral when she has that? Not to mention her neutral b, down tilt, and single hit fairs and lingering nairs. She has a lot of options and a lot of them are safe. She can also punish stray hits in neutral with witch time into a death combo.

edit: also forgot to mention up b which is a frame 4 move with huge disjointed hitbox that can lead into a death combo.. literally almost all her neutral options lead into death combos and are ridiculously safe.

Her neutral is among the best imo. She's not even close to having a bad neutral.

And I don't think she loses to Sheik or diddy, but I can see them going even with her.

Last edited:
I think Bayo is actually comparable to pre-Brawl era Melee Fox right now. Poor results don't change her Best Character status. She has 3-5 moves that will start a 0-death on any member of the cast. Knowing that, it's not hard to see how far the character will eventually go. That said, Pound 2016 was indicative of a better game compared to previous nationals.

edit: A quick search also shows that you can load DLC characters with hacks. Probably not a good idea for a tournament/stream setup, but would work fine for labbing.

Last edited:

aVocado

@ Everstone
Russia and Spain are literally the two small glimmers of hope in the otherwise grim dark future

They are the World's Leading Nation

Let's fucking go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)