Gen 3 Surprisingly successful team

I slapped this team together in like five minutes (okay, so I tweaked it a little since then) but it's been surprisingly effective anyway. I'm interested in feedback but please don't only say "I recognize (moveset) as non-standard, you should change it to this standard one." If you do this, please have a good reason behind it.

Jolteon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

Blah. You know what this does.

Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 132 HP / 154 Spd / 224 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Substitute

I like representing the lesser used legends. He makes 101 HP subs, so he can beat Blissey if he gets a free turn in (not an unlikely scenario). Another common switch-in that dies after a calm mind is Swampert. Unfortunately Duggy kills him.

Swellow (M) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 2 Def / 252 Spd / 2 SAtk / 2 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Endeavor
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Substitute

Swellow and Jolteon can together kill just about everything. If an enemy boosts speed while Swellow is subbed, then he doesn't even need to suicide, as quick attack lets him go directly after endeavor. He is great at pulling a late game reversal. I'm thinking of lowering his HP IV a lot so he can kill high base HP'ers in sandstorm, and so I can effectively endeavor with a quarter health (for TTar switch-ins).

Miltank (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Heal Bell
- Milk Drink

Can counter a lot of stuff, as well as providing good team support. It can switch in on non-CB Salamence, and if he curses on the switch he can beat Meta.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 46 Atk / 212 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Rock Slide
- Steel Wing

Because I didn't feel like using the standard set. It has a good chance to survive Maggy and KO back, but hes not much good after he does that. Mainly he's good at killing Gyarados, Snorlax, Aerodactyl, and to a lesser extent TTar.

Hariyama (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Bulk Up
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Knock Off

Knock off is cool, and after bulk up he can do some stuff. I'm thinking of getting rid of him, but whatever else it is needs to beat TTar.

Ah the EVs. Several things I dislike. I'll point out that normally on Hariyama and the other Pokes with Leftovers, they should have their total HP divisible by 16. I don't blame you if you happened to just "throw this together" as you say you did.

Hidden Power Ice somewhere? I know...on Jolteon! Otherwise Salamence can be a toughie.

Swellow has wasted EVs. I think @ Liechi is stupid too with just Normal attacks and no Baton Passing to good recipients.

Awesome Skarmory. Drill Peck > Rock Slide. I dunno if +SDef is really necessary, but I like it.

Anyone can use that Miltank. Even a noob. EVs need much work. Try giving it HP and a +Def nature even with Curse.

You need a Phazer. Hariyama has access to Whirlwind. Cross Chop is better than Brick Break for damage. So what if you lose the extra PP of Brick Break and the inability to get rid of Reflect/ Light Screen? Brick Break sucks.

So you're thinking of replacing Hariyama...which seems to have been sort of a special wall. To beat TTar...hmmm...something w/ STAB Earthquake aka a Ground type. Have it Roar too. (Swampert / Donphan / Steelix come to mind.)

There are all kinds of directions this team could go in if you were open to changes besides Hariyama.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Definitely needs Gengar. He'd fuck so much shit up after a pass from Jolteon, since Snorlax/Blissey are most likely to switch in. You can just run Thick Fat on Hariyama if you want to keep the sub vs Regice.e

If you wanna run a Skarmory set that isn't the standard, I'd sooner go with the CB set than the one you have. That way you don't have to worry about surviving Magneton; just HP Ground on the predicted switch.

If you wanna run a Skarmory set that isn't the standard, I'd sooner go with the CB set than the one you have. That way you don't have to worry about surviving Magneton; just HP Ground on the predicted switch.
If I had 100% prediction I wouldn't need a better team...

Plus leftovers lets him take more attacks.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
If I had 100% prediction I wouldn't need a better team...

Plus leftovers lets him take more attacks.
Assume you did survive. Skarmory's health has dwindled drastically, and as far as an passive agressive component of the team, it has become severely crippled. At least with a CB'd Skarmory, you can work your way around and trick the opponent into walking into a CB'd HP Ground. Tbh, I'd say that even if you don't go the CB route, you should put some emphasis on improving your prediction if you aren't already confident in it.

I have good prediction, but at the end of the day you can only be so good at it. There is always an element of chance. Especially with "predicting the magneton switch" I probably wouldn't see Magneton until Skarmory is already out. I could use HP ground first every time I use him, but thats just asking for trouble.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not asking you to be perfect in prediction (that's impossible anyway), but I wouldn't null out a moveset simply because it specifically requires prediction to be effective.

On another note, you might try more HP on Jolteon to keep its subs vs neutral hidden powers. I forgot how many that takes vs Magneton, but it's a thought.

I use Hariyama a lot, and I find that Revenge works best as his STAB move. I used to run Cross Chop, but that missed way too much. Bulk up isn't all that great on him actually, he's not fast enough to sweep. Whirlwind would help your team a lot, so you could put it there.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Bulk Up isn't necessarily for Sweeping, it's more like "Ha, Skarmory cannot hurt me with Drill Peck and must take a +1 STABed Cross Chop while trying to Roar/Whirlwind me away" and similar situations. Revenge, Brick Break, and Cross Chop can all pretty much work well on Hariyama, tbh. I don't see Whirlwind being a big help, though. His Skarmory isn't using Spikes to abuse, and I can't imagine what Calm Minder or Swords Dancer Hariyama would be staying in on to Whirlwind it out.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Only problems from electric attacks would come from Zapdos, Raikou, Meganeton or Gengar (possibly Dragonite, but most likely it will be using something else). Jolteon fields all of them well except Raikou, and maybe Magneton considering it could have Thunder Wave or Metal Sound. In any case, Swampert will be met with HP Grass trying to switch in on either of these, so it'd only have a decent shot of fielding Gengar's attacks. Even then it has to be wary of Giga Drain, Explosion, Destiny Bond, Hypnosis, and Will-o-Wisp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)