Survivor SURVIVOR III: Hoenn - won by HeaLnDeaL

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Adding on to that, you are quick to label things such as Blazade and Viper’s elimination as “masterminded moves caused by my manipulation and control that I had over them” which is arguably not really the case, yet you refuse to acknowledge your actual manipulation in this game, that being, completely controlling and manipulating Flyhn and Animus (I already went over this in my post). You have a tendency to slap labels on certain moves and relationships, hoping that we will see everything from your eyes. Like I said, we aren’t blind. We see and know everything that has happened in the game. Acknowledge the game you actually played instead of the game you WANT us to believe you played. We’re 100% willing to give you the credit that you deserve but we aren’t just going to hand it to you, you have to tell us why you deserve that credit. It’s the whole point of this last tribal.
I didn't have control over Blazade, and I said I had to eliminate him because he was someone who I couldn't manipulate... but the game and the numbers built up a wall around Blazade that didn't give him room to operate (he was stuck between a rock and a hard place, I was in an open valley with space to move and I took advantage of this). Viper's elimination also wasn't because I had total control over him and more of because he went rogue at the end and asked for Flyhn to vote for him if/after he beat Flyhn in the tiebreaker and made it to Final Tribal Council; viper can tell you all he wants that he wished to throw ftc, but he told me at other times he didn't want to throw ftc and asking for a vote doesn't look like you want to throw. And to be honest I also really didn't want to give viper or Flyhn the chance to say that winning a tiebreaker was a move they pulled off. In the end, based on the logs that viper gave me with Flyhn's response to his vote question, Flyhn actually looked more honest to me as a result of viper's comparatively sneaky vote grabbing since it sounded like he genuinely wanted Flyhn's vote at ftc. So yeah, if you want to say I had made Flyhn so smitten with me that he'd still take me to the end even if I voted out DLE, Jalmont, and Blazade then yeah that's true as well. In his mind, he had no other options than to stay loyal to me, and Animus who didn't talk to barely anyone in the game was forced to listen to me and to trust my judgement since unlike him I had been in the game and actually talking to people and figuring out moves. Flyhn and Animus were my friends but I was able to exercise control over them, largely in part because of those friendships and I definitely did that to get to this point in the game. They were my pawns, pawns that I talked to about life and had genuine connections with but my pawns nonetheless.

At the end, my game excelled not over manipulation of all people, but manipulation of the field if you even want to call it that; lessening of other people's options or even just seeing when other people's option were lessened and planning accordingly and comparatively letting my options stay open, allowing space to work between two groups. Getting 6 immunity wins, with help from allies throwing some matches along the way, served the goal of making all of my options open, letting me target who I wanted while ensuring I couldn't be targeted. Blazade's options, as he said in this thread, were cut of, boxed in, limited while my options were kept open thanks to my many allies/half-allies and I was able to control the numbers, control my safety, and get out who I wanted when I wanted them out (minus the PD vote and minus the timing of the DLE vote even if I did want him out eventually). Getting Flyhn on my side, and not Whydon's side, obviously was a big part of letting this chain start and having Animus as my loyal ally while everyone in the game thought he was closer to Viper than me was something I planned and exploited. Yeah, people knew I was close to both Viper and Animus, but Flyhn certainly didn't know Animus was closer to me than viper and it sounds like a lot of the members of the jury found that out as well based on the events of this final tribal council (and someone even asked such a question to Animus earlier in ftc).

Even Jalmont's list of Flyhn's "moves" actually mostly comes down to Flyhn sitting and not doing a whole lot of anything, just him dealing with circumstances that were dealt with him and him being on the bottom end of a totem pole. My moves in the game however were aimed at making it so that I could deal with and create my own circumstances, something that Flyhn and Animus didn't do nearly enough of. I think it's the easier path to sit at the the bottom of the totem poll and hope to make it to the end by not being a threat than deciding to make moves, earn a target, but persevere to the end by controlling other people despite that target.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Also, look me up if any of you guys want to meet up and have a drink or something and rant or talk or whatever. Or a drink together over the internet if you're in a different timezone or don't like meeting people or whatever.

Says me, someone who literally has never had a drink before. I'll get drunk for the first time with you guys (at least the ones of you who legally can drink).

I fought HARD this game. The fact that I ended up making it this far despite my usual strategy of pangonging being unviable after the disastrous events on Groudon is absolutely incredible. I'm the type of player who when I can't get control due to circumstances, I'm happy to make myself prime pawn material, and thus far either nobody has caught on, or they don't care that it's intentional. Both desirable for this style.

I've been one of the worst victims of ulonging this game, and I never had the hidden idol, yet I still survived. Neither Whydon or Heal had to choose me specifically as a pawn. The fact they did and that's what I wanted goes to show how well I can hide my threat level. I never stopped trying. Even though Heal had full control of the game, I was still at least willing to fight if the opportunity had presented itself, which it never did because even at that point the people left that we needed for the extra numbers weren't a pool we could work with. Pidge would've snowballed into yet ANOTHER big threat we'd have to contend with. spark could've easily become another number for the CAP side of things. Haruno is incredibly unpredictable and seemed apathetic at the point he was sent out. Wob wasn't keen on taking our side at all.

I did what I could with the circumstances I was dealt, and that was play the part of a pawn to the best of my ability. Heh, i was so good at pretending to be a non-threat I forgot to turn it off going into this FTC at first and just spouted... whatever the hell THAT was. It's like my brain has this built-in mechanism for when it detects people are starting to think I'm actually smart, and immediately self destructs the moment that happens JUST so i can play the "pretending i'm stupid" card in future games.

...but no longer. If i keep this charade up for the sake of reuse in future games, I definitely won't be taken seriously here. I am putting the ability to use my favorite strategy on the line to win this. THAT'S how much it means to me. If i win this, it not only proves what I did worked, but I can never pull it off again. And it's my greatest strength.

That, and passion. Passion alone isn't an argument, but it IS what i have over my OTHER opponent here, Animus. You can't argue he played better than I did when he flat out admitted to not trying until 2 months in.

Heal got dealt more favorable circumstances this game than I did. He played them well. But I ALSO played my circumstances well, and managed to make it all the way in spite of the ones I had. That's what this game's about isn't it? Surviving against all odds. The fact I made it to finals as a pawn of someone who i had never even gotten to contact until the merge and wasn't even my first choice of new post-merge ally shows that I played the game I had to in order to get this far. And as an added bonus i legitimately bonded with the guy and actually made a friend.

I'm gunning for a win here, clearly. If Heal wins I'll be disappointed you don't see things my way. If Animus wins, i'll be legitimately angry.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Yet again Flyhn's above argument boils down to "I did nothing and didn't want to be a threat." The biggest problem in Flyhn's entire game is that he was comfortable with not doing anything else other than not being a threat and he didn't make any moves to add a legitimate resume or to check any boxes. He was comfortable being dealt with the circumstances that were given to him rather than going out of his comfort zone and trying to initiate anything.

The best card I was dealt this entire game was that Animus joined. My other cards were not good. I was on the worst original tribe this game that lost the most challenges despite my challenge performance being better than most of the rest of my tribe. I was one of only two original Root tribesmen that made it to the merge because and I lost many allies that I put time and effort into sustaining. But I kept me ears and eyes open, I kept trying to make new friends, and I kept initiating new alliances. Root Three Alliance was Mithril, Asek, and me. During the first tribe swap, they were placed on a different with me and were voted out when I was powerless to save them. Metal Bros was Blazade, LG, me.... when LG quit for reasons far beyond my control, this alliance died. CAPLC was originally PD, Animus, me... PD blabbed to a LC voicechat about this alliance, leaking it to viper, which lead viper to originally side with Hilomilo the first vote of the merge and I had to convince him to flip to our side in the revote. PD literally shot what could have been a good alliance in the foot by revealing it when he was on Groudon, and the information that PD and I was close undoubtedly filtered to people like Whydon. When PD was voted out, I had to make things work, and formed a strong relationship with viper, something I did not have before the start of this game. Even Flyhn's above comments show that I was the one who came to him to make things work between us, and it was a move that benefited me when it came to getting Whydon out.

I was dealt one good card with Animus and faced disappointing results with my other early allies. I would not have made it to the end if I accepted Animus as my only great card once the merge hit. Unlike Flyhn, I wasn't satisfied with what I was given by the deck so I kept trying to build new paths for myself and I took control of my own fate. Flyhn was satisfied seeing a very few cards in the deck and playing with them, but I was motivated, curious, and gutsy enough to make risks and look at all the cards to see my path forward. You can say I played two sides and you'd be right. But I played both sides and as a result I am the biggest player behind why the vast majority of you are sitting on the jury, and Flyhn and Animus can't say that in return.

Last edited:
Alright everyone! Before I get to the reading of the votes, i'd like to thank each and every one of you for playing in this 7 month long (thats a stupidly long time) game! It's been one hell of a ride and watching the game unfold was incredibly fun. I'd also like to thank sam, snype, and drew for being great cohosts and helping me figure out all of the things I got stuck on, along with picking up the slack whenever I couldn't get to things. I enjoyed running this game and I really hope you all had fun playing in it! Hopefully those of you who hadn't participated in circus before continue to stick around :)

Time to get serious. For the final time, congrats to Animus Majulous, Flyhn, and HeaLnDeaL for making it to the final 3. Regardless of the end result, you all did a fantastic job to make it this far. Now, the votes are in. Let's read em. Remember, these votes are for a winner; you want to see your name here.

First vote:
Animus Majulous

Second vote:
HeaLnDeaL

Third vote:
Flyhn

That's 1 vote for all three finalists: Animus, Flyhn, and Heal.

Fourth vote:
HeaLnDeaL

Fifth vote:
Flyhn

Sixth vote:
HeaLnDeaL

Seventh vote:
Flyhn

That's 1 vote Animus, 3 votes Flyhn, and 3 votes Heal.

Eighth vote:
Flyhn

Ninth vote:
HeaLnDeaL

Tenth vote:
HeaLnDeaL

We're at 1 vote Animus, 4 votes Flyhn, and 5 votes Heal. If this last vote is a vote for Flyhn, we have a tie. If it's a vote for Heal or Animus, Heal wins the game.

Eleventh vote and the winner of Survivor III: Hoenn:
HeaLnDeaL!!!!

Congratulations to the third winner of Smogon Survivor! For the last time (probably), thanks for playing, everyone! You can all discuss the game or whatever you really want to in the thread once again. I'll attempt to write up a postgame (i'll probably be more motivated to do it than for survivor II lol) but i'm not sure when i'll get around to it. Maybe itll be posted in another 27 days ;)

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I voted HeaL if that wasn't obvious from my posts.

Animus was a funny enough concept to vote for that I pushed for it hard in the discord chat, and HeaL's ftc was bad enough that I didn't feel guilty doing it. I entertained voting Animus but never really considered it.

Flyhn's play was incredibly disappointing and I was never voting for him.

Grats to HeaL

I voted for Heal, since even though your ftc wasn't great I couldn't justify myself giving a vote to the other two. Just be glad you weren't sitting with Viper in that final 3.

Congrats on the win.

Congrats, Heal

Edit: I thought long and hard before voting Flyhn, and here was my reasoning at the time:

It has been a little while coming, so I'm going to get to it:

I'm voting for my boy Flyhn

It took pages and jostling, and even Heal coming forward to make the case for him, but Flyhn finally made the arguments I was expecting him to make. I think by a lot of objective standards Heal should win this game and I will be very surprised if he doesn't, but an individual jury vote is a different story.

It's clear that Heal pissed me the fuck off, both in game and at Final Tribal Council, by playing a game in a manner which both disrespected me and asked me to interpret that disrespect as respect for him and the game. But what was lacking for me in any other candidate was a positive reason to vote them, something comparable to the level of effort Heal put in and his undeniable ability to be gregarious and forge legitimate friendships in an online game.

Flyhn's narrative of playing and reading the field, surviving adversity by making connections to those hostile to him resonates well with my play through this game and my last. I've seen his progress and made a fair few of his decisions alongside him, and for a while the hope that we could survive all 3 warring factions going into the merge by playing people against each other and ending up on the right side rung strong and true. He even picked up the slack where I could not. Where my pride got the better of me and I outright told Heal I didn't buy his crap, Flyhn took my advice and laid lower, earning him a crucial edge over viper to make it in the final 3.

His demeanor, age, and game record have always earned him a reputation as a bit of a dead weight, but having spent a few years with the guy I know he's capable of great things when he musters up some confidence. Even if I believed I could take him in a jury vote I never thought of him as a throwaway as animus clearly was. Flyhn's loyalty deserves to be rewarded; at each juncture he moved from alliance to alliance, dropping the last one as the game flow changed without actually betraying them. His substantive individual game deserves to be recognized as a foil to Heal's politically inclined and connection driven one. And for that, he has my support.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Just wanna give shoutouts to Hawkie Mithril and Lord Gaius for giving me support in their exit messages and Asek for giving me support before the swap and for all being hecka cool people. Root tribe best tribe! Jalmont's a bit stinky tho :^)

[21:19:54] Hawkie: I'm rooting for you and PD!!! Don't gibr up
[21:19:59] Hawkie: Give
[21:20:05] Hawkie: Hate this keyboard kms
[21:20:11] HeaLnDeaL ): thanks ^^ I'll just be happy if I made it to the jury
[21:20:59] Hawkie: I think you were actually the strongest from our tribe tbh in terms of potential
[21:21:09] Hawkie: You always put in a shit ton of effort
[21:21:23] Hawkie: I wouldn't be sruprised if you got further than you think :)

HeaLnDeaL-07/11/2017
in the unlikely event that there's a tribe swap and we get split up, are there any people on the other tribes that you think I could trust to work with?

asek-07/11/2017
hmmm

HeaLnDeaL-07/11/2017
and who should I try to get out if I can?

asek-07/11/2017
i would look to establish links with people who arent in pre established alliances

as we've done here

thats what im planning to do all game

and hopefully meet back up with you and mithril in the final stretch

and carry through to final council

HeaLnDeaL-07/11/2017
it's going to be very hard to tell who isn't in a pre established alliance tho : s

if you get on a tribe with animus majulous, he'll probably trust you if you tell him that I told you to go to him for a partnership. I mean you can vote him out if you want, but he probably won't ever traget you if you tell him you and I are close.

[not-in-the-logs sidenote: I told this last bit to mithril as well since I really wanted my allies to work well together]

LG-09/11/2017
I dont hve time

to play anymore

its been a good run tho

and im rooting for you :heart:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
LOL nice misquote zorbees.

----
HeaLnDeaL-12/25/2017
[Woo] would have likely beat wut's-her-name-goat Cass/Kass(edited)

granted I liked her game too but eh
----

I said I liked her game, not that it was a good game and certainly if I saw Woo having a likely chance of beating her I didn't think her game was good since Woo's game was awful. I LIKED her game = very fun to watch. Granted I do think there's *some* level of argument that some of the flack she got was because she was a woman playing an aggressive game but eh w/e.

:jynx: Congrats brother

you, viper, and flyhn all played good games , idc about opposing opinions. Wish I could’ve made it far with you but I’m glad I was able to act as a stool for your debut into the survivor scene ! You’ve been a bona fide friend both on the site and off. Despite us only being able to work together on sparse occasions, I had fun and am happy you took it all the way. I remember you telling me you just wanted to make top 4 and then throw it to a friend in the grand scheme of hosting next season. This took way too long though , Jesus.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
oh hey the guy who voted me out won. grats dude, 7 months in the making
To be fair, everyone on the tribe voted you out, not just me : )

btw, CAP survivor s2 will be casting 16-20 players over the next two-ish days, shameless plug, game itself will start in the middle of the coming week. Will be a much faster game, going to try my best stick to 39 days for real game time but will go over only for final tribal council (season 1 we tried 39 days and got very far into the game, but redemption island slowed things down a bit and we weren't quite able to reach the goal; definitely won't be anywhere near close to a seven month long game). CAP survivor follows the same basic flow as circus survivor but all of the battle challenges will somehow be related to the CAP metagame as an effort to get new people into the fold. Really, as long as you're willing to see a bunch of CAPmons and you know battle basics and survivor basics then you could be a good casting candidate.

spring break is coming up soon for me so i'll type up postgame then; i have the outline done from a while ago but haven't dedicated the time needed to write up the whole thing. If there's a voice postgame done I'll help out with that in whatever way is needed as well.

spring break is coming up soon for me so i'll type up postgame then; i have the outline done from a while ago but haven't dedicated the time needed to write up the whole thing. If there's a voice postgame done I'll help out with that in whatever way is needed as well.
yeah i was thinking the voice postgame could just be something informal for those (still) interested in learning more about how the game progressed and different people's perspective on the game as well. having an official written postgame would still be nice especially to learn more about host insights/thoughts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)