• Swampert

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandibuzz

• Sylveon

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello everyone this is everybody coming up with a new XY OU team. I've definitely moved on from making my pokemon too gimmicky, and this team has reeled in lots of wins for me. Before I start, here is the team building process...

This was my original team. Just a compilation of pokemon I wanted to test out. To my surprise, they performed incredibly well. However, there were definitely some holes in my team such as a weakness to gengar, landorus-I, M-venasaur, talonflame, and both mega charizards.

ORAS had came out by now, and I thought that mega camerupt could fix my chrizard and gengar weakness. A specially defensive alomomola came to my mind as a way to get through landorus-I and gengar via mirror coat, as well as provided wish support and heal itself with regenerator. Both of these additions also helped with talonflame killing. Zoroark and aggron had too much of a suicidal playstyle for me.

Mega Camerupt was underwhelming period. It stats defensively are so dissapointing for a slow mega, and I didn't have the trick room support it needs to go on the offensive. So I went with mega swampert as my new SR setter, because its well rounded stats seem impressive. I also decided to replace alomomola due to the heavy grass weakness. Assault vest eelektross put in a low of work for my team, since it handles the special attackers that plagued me. It batters down annoying greninja, and it also had access to 2 gems I was missing out on: volt switch and knock off.

Finally, HA serperior came out. I noticed my team was pretty slow, with 284 (mamoswine) being my fastest speed. I added serperior and replaced celebi because it was faster and (after a leaf storm) stronger than celebi. This combined with eelektross alleviates my landorus problem. But I wanted to keep the omnigen theme. No one in the jhoto pokedex filled the role eelektross can. I decided to keep eelektross and forfeit my omnigen theme, but then something sparked my interest. This pokemon sported better bulk, speed, and has the same gems eelektross had.

Too Bad (Tentacruel) Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Liquid Ooze
252 HP / 216 Def / 24 Spdef / 16 Spe
-Scald
-Sludge Bomb
-Haze
-Rapid Spin

Same old tentacruel but with a different EV spread. Tentacruel makes up for its lack of power by its support. It spreads status, sponges fairy moves, removes hazards, and stops boosters from getting too greedy. I added speed so that it can outspeed and haze a 252 spe adamant bisharp before it unleashes a +2 knock off. I used to think they go for the sucker punch but I need to be safer than that. I slighly improved its physical bulk because it seems to be switching into those usually. It also narrows down the chance of Bulky starmie's psyshock to 2HKO (11.2% now).

DragonAscent (Serperior) @assault vest
Timid Nature
Contrary
252 Spa / 4 Spdef / 252 Spe - 31/18/31/30/31/30 IVs
-Giga Drain/Knock off
-Hidden Power (fire)
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse

Lots have already been said about contrary serperior. I'll just say it does a good job in pressuring the opponent with its leaf storm. At +2, HP fire hits about as hard as eelektross' flamethrower, so I won't be missing Eelektross that much. Dragon pulse cleans through dragons, chip damages talonflame, and allows me to 2HKO Mega venasuar at +4 after rocks. Giga drain is for useful recovery, however I am thinking of using knock off against predicted heatran/chansey switch ins.

SwimSwamSwum (Swampert) @Swampertite
Impish Nature
Torrent -> Swift Swim
248 HP / 68 Att / 192 Def
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Waterfall
-Earthquake

Physically defensive mega swampert. It takes earthquakes, and close combats just as well as my Mega Aggron. Only this time it is more offensive, quicker, and specially bulkier than megagron. First two moves are ripped off from mega aggron. Game-changing hazard, and a way to phaze unwanted pokemon. The dual stab combination is pretty sweet. Swampert handles what mega aggron handles and more. The blue is mega swampert handling better, and the bold is mega aggron doing better, but swampert handles them okay: Tyranitar, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Talonflame, Azumarill, Mamoswine, scizor, Heatran and mega charizard X. Most are common leads. I value my mega's well being much more now for these critical pokemon. I only miss sturdy, but that's about it.

PAVE LOW (Mamoswine) Life Orb
Naive Nature
Thick Fat
244 Att / 12 Spa / 252 Spe
-Freeze Dry
-Icicle Spear
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake

I've been praising this mamoswine for cleaning through teams. It requires a heavy amount of prediction to use mamoswine imo. Freeze dry is ther to 2hko rotom-w (get it on the switch) and destroy swampert, gyarados, gastrodon, and quagsire. Icicle spear stops smeargle (if it hits 3 times) and sub gliscor. Ice shard revenges dragons, and earthquake is the reliable hard hitting attack. Its never disappointed me which is why it stuck on my team throughout the teambuilding process.

Honchibuzz (Mandibuzz) Rocky Helmet
Adamant Nature
Overcoat
248 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def / 4 Spe
-Brave Bird
-U-turn
-Knock Off
-Roost

This is the gimmickiest pokemon in my team now (rip yawn sylveon and future sight celebi). Offensive Mandibuzz? WTH?!? Let me get this straight. Mandibuzz was closest to the full package when replacing Eelektross. Its typing is so useful, and it has knock off and u-turn! I can't use honchkrow because I actually need to be switching it into things. It just has everything except a good attack stat, so I used the EVs to boost it. Its knock off does good damage, and its u-turn would still be considered chip damage to me. Brave bird however has become very useful. It deals heavy damage to venasaur, and conkeldurr, 2 pokemon that usually have their way with me. It also deals with rising stars Megagross and Mega Gallade. Most people say you can just foul play aforementioned threats, but knock off has much more use on special attackers such as gengar and the latitwins. Its definitely put in some work.

Sylveon Leftovers
Bold Nature
Pixilate
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spdef
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Calm Mind

My threads have been dismissed as casual or noobish because the sylveon I was using had Cute Charm. I didn't want to give up my Shiny Sylveon, so what did I do? Since I make my teams in-game, I Got a shiny 6IV pixilate Wish Sylveon from someone. Now it is hugely revamped sylveon. Hyper voice is stronger and goes through subs when compared to moonblast, heal bell is a new move added to make up for missing celebi (or give celebi room for earth power when I still used it), and calm mind finally gives my team a set up sweeper. Leftovers over rocky helmet this time because I realized wish isn't top notch recovery in terms of reliability.

This team has been fun to use and is currently experiencing a positive win:lose ratio. I have no normal/flying resists which is detrimental against birdspam, but most of my pokemon are physically inclined to take them. Every team requires teamwork to get through problems like this, and this team is no different. I'd like to see your feedback for this team. Thanks for the rate!

Interesting team. Though I see a weakness to set up sweepers in general. For example if bisharp SDs up, it will wipe your team. Or for that matter tflame also poses a huge threat to your team. Also swampert needs rain to be used effectively so I would recommend giving rocks to mamoswine and change your mega unless you are willing to replace tentacruel with politoed. As for the set up sweepers, you could use unaware clefable over sylveon. It performs the same cleric duties but it makes your team more solid. If you want to use the team as it is then you could run acid spray instead of sludge bomb and rock slide instead of freeze dry. HP ground is better coverage on serperior than HP fire as it deals with heatran which normally walls serperior to no end.
I would recommend changing mandibuzz to a defensive set with Foul Play as it doesn't do much physically imo and also run defog as you do take damage from hazards.

Hope I helped :)

Interesting team. Though I see a weakness to set up sweepers in general. For example if bisharp SDs up, it will wipe your team. Or for that matter tflame also poses a huge threat to your team. Also swampert needs rain to be used effectively so I would recommend giving rocks to mamoswine and change your mega unless you are willing to replace tentacruel with politoed. As for the set up sweepers, you could use unaware clefable over sylveon. It performs the same cleric duties but it makes your team more solid. If you want to use the team as it is then you could run acid spray instead of sludge bomb and rock slide instead of freeze dry. HP ground is better coverage on serperior than HP fire as it deals with heatran which normally walls serperior to no end.
I would recommend changing mandibuzz to a defensive set with Foul Play as it doesn't do much physically imo and also run defog as you do take damage from hazards.

Hope I helped :)
I'm not sure if I'm set-up-sweeper-weak because Most of my pokemon don't give bisharp a chance to set up. Tentacruel hazes it before it can touch it (unless its jolly), swampert can roar it away if I'm feeling a sucker punch coming, and mamoswine can play mind games with its ice shard(I've been through that). My swampert is can also afford to take a sucker punch then EQ back:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 192+ Def Mega Swampert: 257-304 (63.7 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm really loving physically defensive swampert, as it also handles the talonflame problem. Its hard to find a pokemon that checks fires, rocks, grounds, and scizors at +1 or +2 while being able to set up rocks.
For sylveon, I kind of worded it wrong. I use Sylveon more for support than win condition (usually mamoswine is). Clefable is much more passive compared to sylveon with its lower Sp.Atk and weaker STAB move of choice. Plus I think Pixilate hyper voice works better against talonflame compared to moonblast, though it is still not much. Unaware is usually done through haze on my tentacruel, as the set up sweepers that outspeed tenta are usually dealt with by the rest.
However the defensive mandibuzz set sounds really neat. I went a little overboard into thinking it could go on the offensive. I still want to keep knock off and u-turn, as the former stops passive recovery, eviolite, and scarf, 3 things that give my team a problem, and the latter provides a safe switch in and (usually) a favorable matchup for my pokemon. Perhaps Foul Play-knock off-u turn-roost with a defensive nature and EV spread? I just miss out on defog, but I have my own rocks and spinner. I also like the idea of acid spray on Tentacruel as it could combo with scald, freeze dry, leaf storm, and hyper voice. I will miss the poison chance though, but I will give it a try.

Here are some replays of my team in action. I also have battles recorded in my Omega Ruby.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-204858024. A little bit of everything and some significant predictions. I can see why mandibuzz should be Foul Playing.

HVQW-WWWW-WWX2-JU5M. This shows mandibuzz and swampert putting in some work.

PGSW-WWWW-WWX2-KXDJ. Close match, and makes me realize victini is still a problem.

I will test for more replays, thanks for the rate Disciple_1!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)