Swimming Pools

• Introduction
Hello there Smogon, it's Aura Sensei™ here with my first RMT here on Smogon, Swimming Pools. I figured that since XY is already here I'd post this Team since I've really enjoyed using it in the past. The title is named after one of my favorite songs that I've been listening to as of late, Swimming Pools, by Kendrick Lamar, although the title is unrelated to the Team. Anyways, I came up with this LC Team when I first got interested in LC thanks to my friends TCR and Dragonicwari. Surprisingly, despite being new to the Tier, I had pretty decent success with it in the beginning. It ended up being the only Team I used throughout my time playing LC, since I really enjoyed using it. The idea for the Team was originally to create an opputunity for Drilbur to sweep, through passive damage and hazards. The Team developped quite a bit, and in it's final stages, I managed to go 40-15 using it, which isn't bad for me.

• Teambuilding

As I said in my intro, the base for this Team was Drilbur. To sweep, Sand is appreciated, so that it can abuse Sand Rush. Hippopotas was an obvious choice. Other than summoning Sand, which is used to wear down the opponent's Team and support Drilbur, he can set up SR, and he's a very solid Physical Wall.

I wanted a solid Defensive Core which could set up Hazards and Spin them away, whilst also being able to cover the weaknesses that Hippo + Drilbur share. Ferroseed + Tentacool was my choice. Ferroseed can stack Spikes and spread paralysis with Thunder Wave. It is also a good deterent to Chinchou, who can cause problems. Tentacool is able to lay Toxic Spikes and Spin away my opponent's hazards, as well as getting rid of Eviolites with Knock Off and checking Snover, which Drilbur really appreciates.

Fighting Types posed a big problem, as Tentacool lacks any recovery, so it can be weared down quickly through Sand, Hazards and switching into multiple Attacks. I also needed a spinblocker, since my Team relied a decent amount on Hazards to do it's job. I chose Misdreavus, as it can check most of the Fighting Types in LC, and it can usually beat opposing Spinners by using it's SubNP set. Furthermore, it can weaken things like Foongus so Drilbur can get past them.

Magnemite was the final member of the Team, for a few reasons. Firstly, I found myself fairly weak to Murkrow and Snover, since although Hippo checks Krow and Tenta checks Snover, they could be beaten easily by a well built Team. Steel Types were also slightly annoying, particularly Ferroseed if I lost Tenta prior to it coming in, and I didn't want it managing to set all of it's Hazards before I KO it. I chose the Scarf set as it allows it to outspeed and KO Murkrow, as well as handle any Scarfed Snover locked into the wrong move.

• In Depth

Hippopotas (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 132 HP / 20 Atk / 212 Def / 100 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature

• Earthquake
  • Slack Off
  • Whirlwind
  • Stealth Rock
Hippopotas is my lead about 90% of the Team, unless the opponent has a Snover. Anyways, Hippopotas is pretty important for this Team's success, as he brings Sand to the field to support Drilbur and to also help wear down the opponent's Team, which is crucial to this Team's success. Aside from taking hits from virtually any Fighting Type in the Tier, it sets up SR, and sometimes I use it to take out Chinchou if it ends up being the opponent's Lead first turn, due to them usually using Volt Switch predicting a switch to Ferroseed. This is basically my #1 answer to any Setup Sweepers such as Scraggy, as it can phase them with Whirlwind. When switching into things like Croagunk, Hippo basically gets a free SR or Slack Off, as it will nomally force them out. The EVs maximize Hippo's Defenses and Hp, and the rest is dumped into other Stats for a slight increase in Damage output and Speed. Eviolite is pretty much mandatory on Hippo, as it raises it's Defenses significantly.

Drilbur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature

• Swords Dance
  • Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • X-Scissor
Drilbur is the Team's primary win condition, and the base for this Team. This is it's standard SD set I believe. Once I've weakened or KOed it's checks, it can come in on any mon that can't threaten it, set up an SD and proceed to Sweep. Since it outspeeeds the whole Tier bar opposing Jolly Drilbur, it's also used as a Revenge Killer if Hippopotas is gone or the mon in question can KO Hippopotas easily. Drilbur can easily force out a lot of common mons such as Mienfoo due to 2HKOing with an unboosted Earthquake. STAB Earthquake will hurt a lot of things that don't resist it or aren't immune to it. Rock Slide hits Murkrow for a 2HKO when unboosted, and at +2 it OHKOs. X-Scissor hits Lileep for a lot of damage at +2, which is impotant, as it can cause a lot of problems if it grabs a few boosts. The EVs give Drilbur the most Attacking Power, Speed and Bulk. Eviolite is used to increase Drilbur's bulk slightly, so it has an easier time setting up SD.

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 68 SDef
Relaxed Nature

• Spikes
  • Leech Seed
  • Seed Bomb
  • Thunder Wave
Ferroseed serves as a check to many things, such as Chinchou, who threaten this Team quite a lot. It is also the Spikes stacker of the Team. Spreading Paralysis with Thunder Wave is appreciated for the Team, so that the rest of the Team has an easier time doing it's job, without the fear of being outsped. Ferroseed is used as a primary check to Dragons in the Tier, such as Dratini. Although uncommon, if they grab a few boosts, they can be problematic, and Ferroseed can paralyze them so they can be revenged later on. Since Ferroseed lacks recovery, due to the usage of Eviolite, which is the premier item in LC for good reason, Leech Seed helps it both weaken the opponent, and recover a little bit of lost health each turn. The EVs grant Ferroseed the max bulk possible.

Tentacool (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 196 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature

• Toxic Spikes
  • Rapid Spin
  • Scald
  • Knock Off
Tentacool has an important role on this Team, since it is both a Spinner and a Special sponge used to take hits from big threats such as Snover. Damaging Snover when it uses Giga Drain is nice, to help win the Weather War, and change the battle in my favor. Setting Toxic Spikes is useful, as it weakens Walls and Sweepers alike overtime, such as Porygon and Snover, who cause me trouble. Rapid Spin is one of the main reasons Tentacool is being used over Frillish, as keeping hazards off my side of the field is important, as normally this Team does a lot of switching to attain it's goal. Knock Off is an amazing item in LC, as it removes Eviolites, so that Walls are beaten much easier. The EVs give Tentacool the most bulk possible on Special side, and the leftovers are used to increase other stats.

Misdreavus (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SAtk / 36 HP / 240 Spd
Timid Nature

• Nasty Plot
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power [Fighting]
  • Substitute
Ahh, Misdreavus. It is one of the most used mons in LC, for good reason. Anyways, this is the SubNP set. My Team was beginning to become Stall oriented, so I wanted a solid set up Sweeper. Misdreavus is used to check Fighting Types such as Mienfoo. I switch into HJK or DP, set up a Sub, NP and start tearing holes in the opposing Team. Misdreavus is also my spinblocker, since this Team is reliant on Hazards to win. It is normally able to beat opposing Spinners fairly easy due to it's bulk, by either using Shadow Ball right away (in Staryu's case) or by setting up (in Tenta's case). Shadow Ball + HP Fighting grants Misdreavus perfect neutral coverage, which is usually enough to do a ton of damage. The EVs maximize Missy's Speed and SpA, and the rest increases it's Bulk slightly. Eviolite allows it's Sub's to be bulkier, allowing it to tank a Scald from Tentacool (iirc) and still have it's Sub intact.

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 SAtk / 36 Def
Timid Nature

• Thunderbolt
  • Volt Switch
  • Flash Cannon
  • Hidden Power [Fire]
Magnemite is the final member of the Team. As I said in the intro, Magnemite is used as a switch-in to both Murkrow and Snover, since it only fears Heat Wave from Murkrow (which isn't too common) and Hidden Power Fire from Snover (which is easy to check, due to almost every Snover being Scarf). It forces them out, or can hit them with a lot of damage. Magnemite is also used to trap Steel Types such as Ferrossed and Bronzor, so I can KO them easily. Volt Switch is the Move that is normally used, to gain momentum. Thunderbolt is used if the opposing Team is weakened enough so that I can sweep them outright using Magnemite. Flash Cannon and Hidden Power Fire round out it's coverage fairly nicely, Flash Cannon taking out any weakened Lileep and Hidden Power Fire taking out Snover or opposing Magnemite.

• Conclusion
I hope you guys enjoyed reading my RMT, since I put quite a lot of effort into it. Thanks to TCR for helping me with the ropes of the Tier, and also helping this Team become what it has become today. I'd also like to thank Dragonicwari for helping me test this Team on multiple occassions. Go listen to Swimming Pools sometime, by the way.

• Last Look

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Aura, thanks for the shout out! The biggest thing i can see that troubles this team is Mixcrow, but unfortunately thats arguably the biggest lc threat teams have in common. Another big thing i have an issue with is how much momentum is lost by half your team. Having both ferro and tenta on the same team is kind of...bad imo. I think replacing tentacool with Shell Smash Tirtouga will help give you another win condition, and help against HP Ground mixcrow, as well as having a LOT of opportunities to set up on your opponent. Theoretically, Snover would then be an even bigger threat, but its easy set up for both ferro and tirtouga, not to mention momentum grabber for magnemite (non scarf snover sucks ass).

Luckily croagunk, tirt's biggest counter, is mashed big by both subnp missy as well as drilbur! Thats as far as my rate is going to go, because i have calculus to do. (Think about that wonder nuzlocke bby).

Best of wishes to your team, i enjoyed helping you and playing this team!

Hi Aura, thanks for the shout out! The biggest thing i can see that troubles this team is Mixcrow, but unfortunately thats arguably the biggest lc threat teams have in common. Another big thing i have an issue with is how much momentum is lost by half your team. Having both ferro and tenta on the same team is kind of...bad imo. I think replacing tentacool with Shell Smash Tirtouga will help give you another win condition, and help against HP Ground mixcrow, as well as having a LOT of opportunities to set up on your opponent. Theoretically, Snover would then be an even bigger threat, but its easy set up for both ferro and tirtouga, not to mention momentum grabber for magnemite (non scarf snover sucks ass).

Luckily croagunk, tirt's biggest counter, is mashed big by both subnp missy as well as drilbur! Thats as far as my rate is going to go, because i have calculus to do. (Think about that wonder nuzlocke bby).

Best of wishes to your team, i enjoyed helping you and playing this team!
no problem.

tbh i'm kind of reluctant to drop tenta, mainly as, like you said, it leaves me with a big snover weakness, and opposing teams are free to stack hazards, which has proven to be a slight problem for this team. losing knock off is another problem, as in some cases this team relies a little bit on tenta to remove eviolites from bulky walls such as porygon. i'll give tirtouga a go sometime though, if i ever use this team again.

thanks for the rate man!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nice team, man!

It looks like a pretty generic Sand team, and this is as good as it'll probably get. Unfortunately, like most Sand teams, your team seems to have a pretty massive weakness to Grass-types and things that wall Drilbur. I can see a Foongus come in and wall your team to death continuously until you lose. Shroomish and Ferroseed also present fairly large problems that need to be mitigated. The problem is that you don't have much that can reliably forcefully hit those Grass-types for 2HKOs, making it extremely difficult for your sweepers to pull off any sweeps. Bulky Water-types such as Tirtouga or Levitating Pokemon such as Misdreavus can also be massive threats, as they can check Drilbur, your only solid form of offense.

To be honest really the only thing you can do to help your team overcome these minor problems yet still not completely override the team's structure is to give Drilbur a Life Orb. This lets it nab some extremely important 2HKOs against Foongus, Lileep, and Shroomish, preventing them from walling you and stopping your sweep. It also gives you the needed +2 OHKO against Mienfoo. Drilbur drastically needs more power as your team has no other offensive power bar Misdreavus.

It might also be a good idea to run something other than Sub on Misdreavus, especially since you're running Sand, as you're only cutting down the amount of time Misdreavus has to sweep. I would run something like Wil-O-Wisp, to nab Mienfoo even harder and cripple Murkrow switch ins. Substitute doesn't really do much for Misdreavus as most things it switches into will want to stay in and can break any subs Missy makes. Also, note that a spread of 240 SpA / 240 Spe should be used on Hidden Power Fighting Misdreavuses due to the fact that HP Fighting drops Speed and SpA by one point, which you need to make up for.

You are also walled slightly by offensive Chinchou, making the combination of Chinchou + Snover really annoying for you to face, so you should probably try Standard Lileep instead of Ferroseed. This might sound really generic but it is generic for a reason- it's solid. Spikes is helpful but in LC Pokemon like Ferroseed really find minimal opportunities to set it up in the first place. Lileep at least is immune to Hydro Pumps and has much greater Special bulk along with better Recovery, so it will undoubtedly help your team more in that end.

That's really all I have to say here. Good luck!

Nice team, man!

It looks like a pretty generic Sand team, and this is as good as it'll probably get. Unfortunately, like most Sand teams, your team seems to have a pretty massive weakness to Grass-types and things that wall Drilbur. I can see a Foongus come in and wall your team to death continuously until you lose. Shroomish and Ferroseed also present fairly large problems that need to be mitigated. The problem is that you don't have much that can reliably forcefully hit those Grass-types for 2HKOs, making it extremely difficult for your sweepers to pull off any sweeps. Bulky Water-types such as Tirtouga or Levitating Pokemon such as Misdreavus can also be massive threats, as they can check Drilbur, your only solid form of offense.

To be honest really the only thing you can do to help your team overcome these minor problems yet still not completely override the team's structure is to give Drilbur a Life Orb. This lets it nab some extremely important 2HKOs against Foongus, Lileep, and Shroomish, preventing them from walling you and stopping your sweep. It also gives you the needed +2 OHKO against Mienfoo. Drilbur drastically needs more power as your team has no other offensive power bar Misdreavus.

It might also be a good idea to run something other than Sub on Misdreavus, especially since you're running Sand, as you're only cutting down the amount of time Misdreavus has to sweep. I would run something like Wil-O-Wisp, to nab Mienfoo even harder and cripple Murkrow switch ins. Substitute doesn't really do much for Misdreavus as most things it switches into will want to stay in and can break any subs Missy makes. Also, note that a spread of 240 SpA / 240 Spe should be used on Hidden Power Fighting Misdreavuses due to the fact that HP Fighting drops Speed and SpA by one point, which you need to make up for.

You are also walled slightly by offensive Chinchou, making the combination of Chinchou + Snover really annoying for you to face, so you should probably try Standard Lileep instead of Ferroseed. This might sound really generic but it is generic for a reason- it's solid. Spikes is helpful but in LC Pokemon like Ferroseed really find minimal opportunities to set it up in the first place. Lileep at least is immune to Hydro Pumps and has much greater Special bulk along with better Recovery, so it will undoubtedly help your team more in that end.

That's really all I have to say here. Good luck!
yea, grass types have been really annoying for me to get past. eviolite hasn't been doing a whole ton for drilbur, in the beginning, i expected it to add a significant amount of bulk, but it's barely noticeable tbh, so i think i'll go with life orb to get those 2hkos.

i'll change the ev spread, never actually noticed that tho, thanks.

that's basically the exact problem i've been having with ferroseed; it isn't able to find many oppurtunities to set up spikes and in many cases i just use it to tank random hits or for death fodder. lileep sounds good, i'll try it out some time.

thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)