1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Swimming swiftly up the ladder - Drizzless rain team.

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Bythai, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Bythai

Bythai

INTRO:

Hi guys, allow me to introduce myself. The screen name is Bythai and I've only recently entered the world of competitive battling. The learning curve has been steep and I find I'm still picking new things up all the time. As you can probably tell this is my very first RMT so I apologise if it's really newbish. Without further ado onto the team.

Recently, after much fooling around with Sun teams and Sandstorm teams, and whilst I had some limited success with sandstorm I felt like I needed a change. As I've always liked the idea of inducing a weather I started to think what I could try that didn't involve Drizzle/Politoed. To me Drizzle seems broken and very easily abused, not to mention you couldn't use what I think is the coolest ability to abuse rain; Swift Swim. So thus my quest to create myself a swift swim team was born. Using the team I created I'm currently sitting around 1700 on the ladder and am looking to continue to improve.

THE TEAM:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 40 HP / 240 SAtk / 228 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Draco Meteor
    - Rain Dance

So I started my team off with this little guy. Not only did he have swift swim available as his ability he had a neat dragon/water typing and above average base stats. Originally I wanted Kingdra to be my setup sweeper but in the end I decided to run with a special set to add some diversity to my team.
    Hydro Pump made sense getting STAB and a boost in the rain. Draco Meteor is another awesome STAB move that hits everything but steel types hard. I decided on Ice Beam to hit other dragons and nail annoying pokes like Breloom, Landorous and Gliscor. Finally, I added Rain Dance in the 4th moveslot as a back up rain inducer.

Life orb was chosen in order to give me plenty of freedom to hit whatever switches in as effectively as possible. The EVs and nature were taken directly from the Smogon suggested and have served me well so far.

UPDATE:

I've been playing around with switching Kingdra for Ludicolo. Ludicolo just adds that extra grass and ground resist while adding a very decent Special Attack set to my team. Draco Meteor while strong just couldn't quite cut it when that huge special attack drop would take effect. Giga drain however is super handy in dealing with other bulking waters. So here's the Ludicolo set I'm thinking I should use:

[​IMG]
    Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Giga Drain
    - Rain Dance

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Wish
    - U-turn
    - Thunder

Next came Jirachi. With it's awesome steel typing, great base stats and very hand movepool Jirachi seemed to suit my team well. Often times Jirachi is able to provide a handy Wish or set up a much needed Rain Dance and then go on to either paralyze an opponent with Thunder or U-turn to a favorable match up.

Rain Dance is added insurance that I can get rain up whenever I need it. Wish is very handy in keeping the team healthy or ensuring that Jirachi remains a thorn in the opposing side for as long as possible. U-turn gives me that extra utility to find the right match up and pass wishes on. Finally, Thunder gets the accuracy boost from the rain and has 60% chance to paralyze with Serene Grace.

Jirachi's EVs were designed to ensure Jirachi could take as much punishment as possible from either special or physical sides. With the reduction in speed it also means that Jirachi is often times last to move which makes U-turn all the more handy for getting a safe switch in.

[​IMG]
    Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Scald
    - Rain Dance

Next I knew I was going to need a solid rapid spinner. With its ability Rain Dish and recovery from Black Sludge Tentacruel can be a very hard to take down pokemon able to get it's Rapid Spin off and threaten any spin blockers that try to stop it.

Being a Poison type has also become invaluable as I'm able to switch into predicted Toxic's with ease and return the favor with a Toxic of my own. Scald gets STAB and rain boosted and with a handy chance to burn often proves useful in staving off physical fighting types that seem to plague OU. Finally, Rain Dance is again added to ensure that Tentacruel can set up it's own Rain Dish and providing back up for the rain users that come after it.

The EV spread again is designed to ensure that Tentacruel can take as much punishment as possible from all angles.

[​IMG]
    Swampert (M) @ Damp Rock
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Yawn
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake

This slot I found very hard to fill. I needed a pokemon that could really get the rain rolling with a Damp Rock and yet still be useful to the team. I originally tried Uxie in this spot and while it did well in setting the rain up it couldn't really take a hit and would only get one opportunity to set up rain. However, I fell in love with the move Yawn as it would force many a switch or result in sleep witch I could then capitalize on. I also found I really needed a pokemon that could use Earthquake to hit most of the leads I was encountering. Thus, Swampert was found.

With a number of great resistances, a handy immunity to electric attacks (which could have been a problem) and only one weakness I couldn't go past this guy. His bulk is exceptionally handy and is fully maximized again in the same fashion as Jirachi's and Tentacruel's. Not to mention Swampert has a handy base 110 Attack stat to make a STAB'ed Earthquake worthwhile. Stealth Rock seemed to fit well with Swampert making him the pokemon I most commonly lead with. I feel like Torrent is wasted without a water move but then again I'm not really sure what I'd replace.

[​IMG]
    Floatzel (M) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Switcheroo

This pokemon is a beast. I can't believe it's in NU. When I was first thinking about what other swift swimmers I could use on my team, I thought to myself, "surely if Floatzel is in NU it must be there for a good reason." But boy has it proven my wrong. With Rain Support, a base speed of 115 and a very much useable attack stat of 105 Floatzel seemed ideal for a Choice Band set.

In the rain with Swift Swim Floatzel outspeeds almost everything and when backed by a Choice Band you have an amazing powerhouse. Waterfall is the move of choice. STAB'ed and rain-boosted this move hits like a truck taking a big chunk out of just about everything. Add on top a handy 20% flinch chance and there's little more you could ask from a single move. Should rain be down or Swift Swim just doesn't cut it speed wise Aqua Jet comes in as a very handy priority move. However, as I often have rain up I don't find myself using it too often. Ice Punch is my next move to hit Dragons and other troublesome pokemon hard. Switcheroo rounds out the set but isn't used often at all as anything that tries to wall Floatzel is oven sent running by Waterfall. Again, I can't express just how awesome and fundamental this pokemon is my team.

[​IMG]
    Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Lonely Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

And finally, we have one of my favorite pokemon of all time, Salamence. After I had developed the core of my team I knew I wanted a setup sweeper that could come in and wreck face and perhaps abuse rain condition. What better to move to set up with than Dragon Dance. After I had looked up Dragon Dance users I first thought about making Kingdra the sweeper of the team, but alas it didn't seem to suit. Then I thought about Gyarados or Dragonite and whilst the two came very close I finally decided on Salamence and I haven't looked back. With Moxie and Dragon Dance once Salamence gets going very few things can stop it.

After one Dragon Dance Outrage is a nuclear bomb and hits everything that isn't steel typed hard ensuring that Moxie boosts start stacking. Next I have Earthquake to hit a lot of things hard that I shouldn't lock myself into Outrage for. Finally, there is Fire Blast. I haven't actually had much need of Fire Blast at all and seems a bit out of places that attempts to abuse the rain condition but I've left it there for insurance purposes should I run into any Ferrothorn's or Scizors.

EV's and Nature are pretty standard and I decided to run with the Lum Berry so no annoying status inducers prematurely stop Salamence's sweep. Plus it has the added bonus of going unused until Salamence becomes confused by Outrage meaning the sweep is much easier to continue. Salamence is easily on the MVP's of this team and often finds opportunities created by the rest of the team to set up and begin sweeping.

Conclusion:

So that's it folks, my team in a nutshell. It has served me well so far but I know that there are improvements to be made. Sometimes I wish I had a spinblocker but a) I don't know what I'd replace and b) I am often able to have hazards on the field when they are needed. Next I wonder about my coverage. Floatzel and Kingdra seem to run very similar sets in regards to their coverage. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a better coverage move to hit the pokemon that try to wall me, but due to my inexperience I don't really know what that move would be.

Which leads me here I guess. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated and I do apologise if there was too much to take in. After all, I'm semi new to this so I just ask that you don't slam me too hard.

Importable:

Code:
    Jirachi @ Leftovers[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=6][SIZE=2][SIZE=6][SIZE=2]
    Trait: Serene Grace
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Wish
    - U-turn
    - Thunder

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Scald
    - Rain Dance

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 40 HP / 240 SAtk / 228 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Draco Meteor
    - Rain Dance

Floatzel (M) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Switcheroo

Salamence (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Lonely Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Swampert (M) @ Damp Rock
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Yawn
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    oSeasons and scotti like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)