NU Swoobat

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########

Swoobat's ability, Simple, allows it to become an effective sweeper when combined with Calm Mind. This is backed up by a high Speed stat and good movepool, which allows it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame and have perfect neutral coverage. However, Swoobat has pitifully low bulk and a poor defensive typing, limiting its chances to set up. This is made even worse by having a Stealth Rock weakness, making it hard for Swoobat to survive even neutral hits. Three of the types that Swoobat is weak to boast priority moves, specifically Ice Shard, Sucker Punch, and Shadow Sneak, making Swoobat much easier to revenge kill. Swoobat is also very weak without boosts, so it relies a lot on setting up.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Stored Power
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Roost / Substitute
ability: Simple
item: Kee Berry / Salac Berry
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

With Simple, Calm Mind gives Swoobat +2 Special Attack and Special Defense in one turn. Stored Power is Swoobat's main STAB attack, reaching 100 Base Power after one Calm Mind boost. Heat Wave hits Steel-types like Steelix and Klinklang which resist its Psychic-type STAB moves for super effective damage, whilst also providing good neutral coverage. Roost provides recovery; this is important because Swoobat gets worn down fast due to its low defenses. Alternatively, Substitute lets Swoobat block status and get down to Berry activation range more easily.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature give Swoobat maximum Speed, allowing it to outspeed as much as possible, while 252 Special Attack EVs are used to increase Swoobat's power. The remaining 4 EVs go into Defense rather than HP to allow Swoobat to activate its Salac Berry after three Substitutes. Simple lets Swoobat double the stat boosts gained from Calm Mind and its Berry. Kee Berry lets Swoobat take physical hits better, making it less vulnerable to priority while boosting the power of Stored Power. Salac Berry also boosts Stored Power, but gives Swoobat a Speed boost in order to outspeed everything, including Choice Scarf users. Roost should be used with Kee Berry, as with increased defenses, Swoobat can make use of recovery, whilst Salac Berry should be used with Substitute, because without the Defense boost, Swoobat will be vulnerable to priority; Substitute also allows for quicker usage of the Salac Berry.

Usage Tips
========

If running Kee Berry, Swoobat should be sent in on a resisted physical hit, such as Sawk's Close Combat, to activate the boost. If this is not possible, both sets should be brought in after a KO into something it forces out, such as Garbodor, in order to set up Calm Mind boosts. Swoobat should only take weak or resisted hits in order to activate its Kee Berry, as it is OHKOed by plenty of stronger attacks, such as Feraligatr's Waterfall. Swoobat should be careful when up against a physical attacker, as even after a Defense boost, it still takes a lot of damage from strong physical attacks. Setting up on special attackers is preferred, as Swoobat can constantly raise its Special Defense; however, it should be careful of status moves such as Lilligant's Sleep Powder and Xatu's Thunder Wave. Substitute should be used to block status or to get down to Salac Berry range if required.

Team Options
========

Swoobat has a weakness to Stealth Rock, so it appreciates Rapid Spin users, such as Kabutops and Sandslash, or Defog users, such as Vullaby and Togetic, as partners. Rapid Spinners are preferred, however, as Swoobat also appreciates entry hazards from setters such as Crustle or Ferroseed, as they wear down foes. Strong Fighting-types, such as Sawk and Hariyama, make for good partners, as they beat Dark-types and Kangaskhan. Swoobat appreciates Pursuit trappers such as Sneasel and Liepard, as they can trap and weaken bulky Psychic-types that wall it, such as Musharna and Uxie; in return, Swoobat removes Fighting-types.

Other Options
########

Swoobat has a decent movepool, but it has difficulty fitting other moves. Giga Drain and Energy Ball hit Rhydon and Seismitoad harder, but Stored Power already hits them neutrally. Air Slash hits Pangoro super effectively, whilst hitting Psychic- and Dark-types harder than Heat Wave. Signal Beam hits Psychic- and Dark-types harder and for super effective damage. A Choice Specs set with Trick could be used for more immediate power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Swellow and Sneasel can outspeed and deal heavy damage to Swoobat with their STAB moves, even after a Defense boost. Choice Scarf users, such as Primeape and Rotom, can outspeed and KO Swoobat with a bit of previous damage. However, if Swoobat is boosted at full health, it is able to live a hit from all of these Pokemon and OHKO them all in return; a Substitute will also prevent the faster Pokemon from KOing Swoobat. In addition, Swoobat can outspeed all of those Pokemon after a Salac Berry boost.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Defensive Pokemon, such as Audino and Uxie, can live boosted hits and retaliate with their STAB moves or status. However, Swoobat can live hits from most common walls after boosting its own Defense and use Substitute to block status. Phazing moves such as Lickilicky's Dragon Tail and Grumpig's Whirlwind will force Swoobat out; in addition, Whirlwind passes through Substitutes. Specially defensive Rhydon can live a hit and deal a lot of damage to Swoobat with its Rock-type STAB moves or phaze it out with Roar.

**Paralysis**: Swoobat's main niche is its Speed, so paralyzing it makes it very easy to revenge kill. Musharna and has bulk to live a hit and paralyze Swobat with Thunder Wave, while Liepard's Thunder Wave will always move first due to Prankster. Body Slam from Pokemon such as Lickilicky can paralyze Swoobat and do a decent amount of damage. Thunder Wave will be blocked if Swoobat has a Substitute up, but most Thunder Wave users of the move can break its Substitute.

**Priority**: Swoobat is weak to Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, and Sucker Punch, meaning priority users such as Piloswine and Kecleon can easily revenge kill Swoobat. Other priority moves, such as Feraligatr's Aqua Jet and Kangaskhan's Fake Out, can also deal heavy damage to Swoobat. This won't work if Swoobat has a Substitute up or has boosted its Defense; previous damage is required to score the KO.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is ready for QC

e: 2/9/14 removed mention of spiritomb

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SubSalac was the standard set for Swoobat last gen, what does QC think of it? Reason I'm saying this is because I'm not too sure how effective Air Slash is because it doesn't offer much more neutral coverage than Heat Wave (although it does get STAB), and outspeeding scarfers and getting a Stored Power boost sounds nice.

SubSalac
########
name: SubSalac
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Stored Power
move 4: Heat Wave
item: Salac Berry

I've asked Anty to test this but it would be cool to get some QC opinions as well

Anty

let's drop
SubSalac was the standard set for Swoobat last gen, what does QC think of it? Reason I'm saying this is because I'm not too sure how effective Air Slash is because it doesn't offer much more neutral coverage than Heat Wave (although it does get STAB), and outspeeding scarfers and getting a Stored Power boost sounds nice.

SubSalac
########
name: SubSalac
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Calm Mind
move 3: Stored Power
move 4: Heat Wave
item: Salac Berry

I've asked Anty to test this but it would be cool to get some QC opinions as well
I tested it and its much better than the other set as it doesn't worry about faster pokes if boosted, stronger stored power, neutral airslash is 5bp more than nve 140bp stored power + the only resists to psychic/fire are lunatone/solrock (also helps now infiltrator spiritomb is gone \o/)

mention Psyshock for specially defensive threats in OO, such as Dragalge and Cryogonal.

You could also mention Cryogonal in the Checks & Counters, Bulky Pokemon section:

+2 252 SpA Swoobat Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 226-266 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even after a Calm Mind boost, Cryogonal has still chance to OHKO Swoobat at +2:

252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. +2 0 HP / 0 SpD Swoobat: 250-296 (90.9 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
mention Psyshock for specially defensive threats in OO, such as Dragalge and Cryogonal.
Generally these just give you more chances to set up CM, which makes Stored Power able to break right through them.

You could also mention Cryogonal in the Checks & Counters, Bulky Pokemon section:
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Heat Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 226-266 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
First calc is after 1 CM + Salac Boost, 2nd calc is just 2 CMs [one on the switch-in, one on the icebeam]
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 249-294 (88.2 - 104.2%)
+4 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (180 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 480-565 (170.2 - 200.3%)

Safe to say, Stored Power is a broken as fuck move enough to allow it to break through SpDef bulky stuff, including Cryo.

edit: shoutout to whoever names the sets [honko maybe] http://prntscr.com/4jnog6

Anty

let's drop

Even after a Calm Mind boost, Cryogonal has still chance to OHKO Swoobat at +2:

252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. +2 0 HP / 0 SpD Swoobat: 250-296 (90.9 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cryogonal: 249-294 (88.2 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

I dont think its much of a check if it gets ko'd after stealth rocks or previous damage

Otherwise, pretty much everything else gets hit harder by stored power:
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 255-301 (62.1 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Audino: 208-246 (50.7 - 60%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Swoobat Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dragalge: 404-476 (120.9 - 142.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Swoobat Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dragalge: 402-474 (120.3 - 141.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Part of the reason Salac Berry works so well is that it boosts stored power to the point at which it out damages most super effective hits at neutral

e: ninjad

Anty

let's drop
hmm, i think it could put in work though
I dont think that is a good reason to add it on. To put it simply: Psyshock forces you to lose sub, making it harder for you to get sitrus. I dont think that is worth using solely for a mon that get ko'd after rocks, as without getting your situs, it is much harder for you to sweep.

There isnt much for oo because its such a niche mon

Anty, I'd like to see Kee Berry the main item for the set and Roost used over Substitute. We can do slashes for them instead, but Swoobat's biggest problem is being a liability against offense. Kee Berry helps it take priority much more easily and also gives you a +2 boost for Stored Power.

In the Overview, you say it outspeeds most of the boosted meta, which is really untrue. Change it to unboosted. Don't bother mentioning Unaware because even though it's a good ability, it's horrible on Swoobat.

Mention Kabutops as a partner to spin. You can keep the Sandslash mention because the Rock resist is nice. Mention only Togetic and Vullaby as potential Defoggers. They have ok synergy because they can check Dark-types, and Vullaby can check bulky Psychic-types.

Cut the bulky Pokemon mention from Checks and Counters. Audino gets shit on by Kee Berry Swoobat, and Musharna is already mentioned elsewhere.

Anty

let's drop
Anty, I'd like to see Kee Berry the main item for the set and Roost used over Substitute. We can do slashes for them instead, but Swoobat's biggest problem is being a liability against offense. Kee Berry helps it take priority much more easily and also gives you a +2 boost for Stored Power.

In the Overview, you say it outspeeds most of the boosted meta, which is really untrue. Change it to unboosted. Don't bother mentioning Unaware because even though it's a good ability, it's horrible on Swoobat.

Mention Kabutops as a partner to spin. You can keep the Sandslash mention because the Rock resist is nice. Mention only Togetic and Vullaby as potential Defoggers. They have ok synergy because they can check Dark-types, and Vullaby can check bulky Psychic-types.

Cut the bulky Pokemon mention from Checks and Counters. Audino gets shit on by Kee Berry Swoobat, and Musharna is already mentioned elsewhere.
I have done the last parts, but to confirm, Kee berry should be its main set and sub salac should be in OO

I have done the last parts, but to confirm, Kee berry should be its main set and sub salac should be in OO
I'd mention Sub Salac in Set Details. It's not bad (well, it is, but it's not bad considering it's Swoobat), but I think Kee Berry is much better.

Anty

let's drop
I'd mention Sub Salac in Set Details. It's not bad (well, it is, but it's not bad considering it's Swoobat), but I think Kee Berry is much better.
Ok i have updated. I do somewhat agree with using kee berry, as from experience with it in pu (i will try the set in nu though), it can be better situationally. However here certain pokes are less common so i assume it will be better

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You need to change UT to reflect the current set, atm it has sub and salac berry in it. Update these pls.

Please beef up C&C.

Do these, let me know, and I'll give a check.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
^ this

also from what I can tell Hollywood never suggested salac and roost be restricted to other options, i'd like to see them slashed onto the main set as they're just as viable as the kee berry set. I'd also change order of moves to 1. calm mind 2. stored power 3. heat wave 4. roost / sub

implement those changes and i'll give a check as well.

Anty

let's drop
You need to change UT to reflect the current set, atm it has sub and salac berry in it. Update these pls.

Please beef up C&C.

Do these, let me know, and I'll give a check.
^ this

also from what I can tell Hollywood never suggested salac and roost be restricted to other options, i'd like to see them slashed onto the main set as they're just as viable as the kee berry set. I'd also change order of moves to 1. calm mind 2. stored power 3. heat wave 4. roost / sub

implement those changes and i'll give a check as well.
I re-did UT as well as sorted out set details to fit the set and added the slashes. I also added a lot more to c&c. Thanks for the help

Tiny nitpick, in the Overview you say that it has two good abilities in Simple and Unaware, but Unaware is actually a terrible ability for Swoobat. I would just say "Simple gives it great sweeping potential" or something like that

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

Swoobat has a very good ability in Simple, allowing it to become an effective sweeper when combined with Calm Mind. This is backed up by a high Speed, allowing it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame, and a good movepool, (comma) giving it perfect neutral coverage. However, it Swoobat has pitifully low bulk and a poor defensive typing, (comma) limiting its chances to set up. This is made even worse by having a Stealth Rock weakness, giving Swoobat difficulty in living making it hard for Swoobat to survive even neutral hits. Three of Swoobat's five weaknesses have priority moves in are also priority; (saying that a type is a move is somewhat awkward) Ice Shard, Sucker Punch, (comma) and Shadow Sneak, making Swoobat much easier to revenge kill. Swoobat is also very weak without boosts, (comma) so it relies a lot on setting up.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Stored Power
move 3: Heat Wave
move 4: Roost / Substitute
item: Kee Berry / Salac Berry

Moves
========

With Simple, Calm Mind gives Swoobat +2 Special Attack and Special Defense in one turn. Stored Power is Swoobat's main STAB attack, reaching 100 Base Power after one Calm Mind boost. Heat Wave hits Steel-types, (remove comma) like Steelix and Klinklang, who that resist its Psychic-type STAB moves for super effective damage, whilst also providing good neutral coverage. Roost provides recovery; this is important as Swoobat gets worn down fast due to its low defenses. However, (comma) Substitute lets Swoobat block status, whilst letting Swoobat and get down to Salac Berry activation range more easily.

Set Details
========

252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature give Swoobat maximum Speed, allowing it to outspeed as much as possible, while 252 Special Attack EVs are used is to increase Swoobat's strength. The remaining 4 EVs go in Defense, to allow Swoobat to reach its Salac Berry after three Substitutes. Simple is the preferred ability, as it lets Swoobat double its the stat boosts gained from Calm Mind and Kee Berry or Salac Berry. Kee Berry lets Swoobat take physical hits better, making it less vulnerable to priority while boosting the power of Stored Power. Salac Berry also boosts Stored Power, but gives Swoobat a Speed boost, (remove comma) in order to outspeed everything, (remove comma) including Choice Scarf users. Roost should be used with Kee Berry, as with increased defenses, Swoobat can make use of recovery, whilst Salac Berry should be used with Substitute, to allow quicker access to the Salac Berry, as and without a Defense boost, Swoobat is more vulnerable to priority.

Usage Tips
========

If running Kee Berry, Swoobat should be sent in on a resisted physical hit, such as Sawk's Close Combat, to activate its Kee Berry. If this is not possible, (comma) both sets should be brought in after a KO into on something it forces out, such as Garbodor, in order to set up Calm Mind boosts. Swoobat should only take weak or resisted hits to activate its Kee Berry, as it is OHKOed by plenty of stronger attacks, such as Feraligatr's Waterfall. Swoobat should be careful when up against a physical attacker, as even after a Defense boost, it still takes a lot of damage from strong physical attacks. Setting up on special attackers is preferred, as Swoobat can constantly raise its Special Defense; (comma to semicolon) however, it should be careful of moves such as Lilligant's Sleep Powder and Xatu's Thunder Wave. Substitute should be used to block status or to get down to Salac range if required.

Team Options
========

Swoobat has a weakness to Stealth Rocks, so it appreciates Rapid Spinn users, such as Kabutops and Sandslash, or Defog users, such as Vullaby and or Togetic. Rapid Spin partners are prefered, as Swoobat also appreciates entry hazards, (remove comma) from setters such as Crustle or Ferroseed, to wear down the opponent. Strong Fighting-types, such as Sawk and Hariyama, make good partners, (comma) as they beat Dark-types and Kangaskhan. Swoobat appreciates Pursuit trappers, (remove comma) such as Sneasel or and Liepard (remove comma) to trap and weaken bulky Psychic-types that wall it, such as Musharna and Uxie. These Dark-type Pokemon also appreciate the removal of Fighting-types.

Other Options
########

Swoobat has a decent movepool, however but it has difficulty fitting other moves them in its moveset. Giga Drain and Energy Ball hit Rhydon and Seismitoad harder, however Swoobat but Stored Power already hits them neutrally. (comma to period) Air Slash hits Pangoro super effectively, whilst hitting Psychic- and Dark-types harder than Heat Wave. Signal Beam also hits Psychic- and Dark-types harder, but for super effective damage. A Choice Specs set with Trick could be used for more immediate power.

Checks & Counters
########

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon such as Swellow and Sneasel both can outspeed and deal heavy damage to Swoobat with their STAB moves, even after a Defense boost. Choice Scarf users, such as Primeape or and Rotom, can outspeed and KO Swoobat with a bit of previous damage. However, if Swoobat is boosted at full health, none of these Pokemon can KO it, and while Swoobat can OHKO them all back in return once set up. Substitute will also prevent the faster Pokemon from KOing Swoobat, and Swoobat can outspeed them all after a Salac Berry boost if it has a Substitute up.

**Bulky Pokemon**: Defensive Pokemon, such as Audino and Uxie, (comma) can live boosted hits and retaliate with their STAB moves or status. After defensive boosts, Swoobat can live hits from most common walls, whilst Substitute blocks status. Phazing such as Lickilicky's Dragon Tail and Grumpig's Whirlwind will force Swoobat out, and the latter passes through Substitutes. Specially defensive Rhydon can live a hit and deal heavy damage to Swoobat with its Rock-type STAB moves or phaze it out with Roar.

**Paralysis**: Swoobat's main niche is with its Speed, so paralyzing it makes it very easy to revenge kill. Thunder Wave users such as Musharna and Liepard have enough bulk to live a hit or have and priority due to Prankster, respectively. Body Slam from Pokemon such as Lickilicky can paralyze Swoobat while doing decent damage. Thunder Wave will be blocked if Swoobat has a Substitute up, however but most users of the move can break its Substitute.

**Priority**: Swoobat is weak to Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, (comma) and Sucker Punch, meaning priority users such as Piloswine and Kecleon can easily revenge kill Swoobat. Other priority moves, such as Feraligatr's Aqua Jet and Kangaskhan's Fake Out, can also deal heavy damage to Swoobat. This won't work if Swoobat has a Substitute up or if it has a Defense boost; (comma to semicolon) previous damage is required to score the KO in those situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)