1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

syclant on smogon uni?

Discussion in 'Inside Poop - April Fool's Day 2011' started by darkie, Sep 21, 2008.

1. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

i got this pm from a user today:

shedinjask2: hey why is syclant on the team builder
    shedinjask2: and the other caps
    darkie: where?
    shedinjask2: at the botom
    shedinjask2: *bottom
    shedinjask2: only syclant in one slot
    shedinjask2: but the first three caps in the rest
    darkie: hmm
    darkie: where did you make this old team?
    shedinjask2: official i think
    shedinjask2: yeah, official
    darkie: hmm
    shedinjask2: the ladder won't let me use it though
    darkie: can you take a screen shot of this for me?
    shedinjask2: sure
    darkie: thanks
    darkie: just upload the image to imageshack or something
    shedinjask2: here
    shedinjask2: http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a22/lynxichan/syclant.jpg
    darkie: that's really weird
    darkie: i'll forward this to doug
    darkie: try restarting your shoddy in the meanwhile

i don't know the exact circumstances of this. i made a new team on the server with no trouble. i have a feeling he made this old team on the cap server, and just forgot about it or something.

haven't received any complaints from anyone else.
  2. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I believe the "problem" is that you download the CAPs on your computer, which is why they appear in Team Builder, but they're officially not allowed (programming-wise) on Smogon Uni.
  3. ryubahamut

ryubahamut
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

just my two cents; a helpful test could be battling someone on the smogon server with a team composed of CAP pokemon.
  4. Caelum

Caelum qibz official stalker
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It won't recognize your team if you try to use it (I accidentally tried to load my CAP team once). For example, my team has Fidgit on it and it knows Stealth Rock. If I try to load the team (either on the ladder or challenges) it will say "This Pokemon does not learn Stealth Rock" or something like that and won't let you play anyway. I don't see it as being a particularly big problem :/. I guess if Doug could fix it it would be cool but I don't see it as being a top priority.
  5. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

When you save a team in Shoddy battle, the team has a server "attached" to it. This information is saved with the team. Literally, the entire pokedex of the server is saved in the team file. When you load the team in the Team Builder, you are not seeing the pokedex for the current server; you are seeing the pokedex for the server on which the team was saved.

I'm not completely sure of the reasoning behind this design. But, I suspect it is specifically to allow mod servers to implement changes to the pokedex, moves, etc. Without saving the server info with each team, it would be very difficult to handle in Shoddy. I can think of other ways to model solutions around the problem, but the way it is working is fairly efficient without restructuring lots of other things in Shoddy.

So, basically, the Team builder is working as it was designed to work.

I am curious about what happens if the newest CAP teams are used on Smogon U. Not old teams like described in the OP, but rather a team created on the CAP server yesterday or today. Since the CAP server has a larger pokedex than SU, and Shoddy indexes pokemon by pokedex number -- there could be some problems if someone tries to use a team that has a recent CAP pokemon on it. If they use an old CAP team, it will map to a Rotom form, IIRC. But, the new CAP won't map to anything.
  6. Caelum

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Doug, read my post above and you'll find the answer to your question, if I understand it correctly.
  7. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Yeah, I'm aware of how that works. That message is from an old CAP team. Basically, the old CAP pokemon maps to a Rotom form on Smogon U, and Rotoms don't learn Stealth Rock. So it throws a movepool exception. I'm curious what happens if the movepools actually match! Suppose you had an old CAP pokemon with a single move -- Hidden Power. That movepool would succeed the movepool check with Rotom -- and then what? I don't know what would happen. Most likely, it would send a Rotom into battle, perhaps with a bad ability or something.

But, I don't want to test a bunch of mod server stuff on Smogon U, because I'm afraid it will crash the server. I want to test this stuff privately and figure out how to handle any problems. For now, people need to use new teams on Shoddy battle, if at all possible. At least until the bugs are worked out.
  8. Caelum

Ah, I see. I misunderstood you. I want to test it now, but I'll control myself since I don't exist.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)