Syclant Playtesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

PLAYTESTING INTRODUCTION

This thread marks the beginning of playtesting for the first six CAPs (Syclant, Revenankh, Pyroak, Fidgit, Stratagem, Arghonaut).

The Syclant Playtesting ladder will replace the regular CAP ladder for the next 10 days, allowing us to test Syclant in isolation against the Platinum OU environment. Ladder ratings will be reset accordingly. So, for anyone that just joined the CAP project, everyone will start the playtesting period equally. If you know OU, and you are willing to experiment with Syclant -- then you should do just fine.

This thread will serve as home base for sharing playtesting information about Syclant. Post comments advice, movesets, strategies, etc. If you post long battle logs, please enclose them in CODE tags.

At the end of the playtesting period (August 29th), the most proficient battlers on the Playtesting ladder will be awarding with Custom Titles to represent their achievements. Remember to stay active throughout the majority of the playtesting period, not just at the end. The method of selecting those who qualify for the CT has not been decided yet; however, EXP with the CAPs could be a major factor.

At the end of each CAP's playtesting period, a thread will be posted where an analysis will be drafted based off experiences with the CAP.

CAP9 will be delayed until approximately two weeks after the start of playtesting. We do not know an exact date, so please do not ask when CAP9 will start.

PLAYTESTING SCHEDULE

• Syclant: Friday, June 26th - Sunday, July 5th
  • Ladder Change: Monday, July 6th
  • Revenankh: Tuesday, July 7th - Thursday, July 16th
  • Ladder Change: Friday, July 17th
  • Pyroak: Saturday, July 18th - Monday, July 27th
  • Ladder Change: Tuesday, July 28th
  • Fidgit: Wednesday, July 29th - Friday, August 7th
  • Ladder Change: Saturday, August 8th
  • Stratagem: Sunday, August 9th - Tuesday, August 18th
  • Ladder Change: Wednesday, August 19th
  • Arghonaut: Thursday, August 20th - Saturday, August 29th

God, I'm seeing more anti-syclant teams than pro-syclant teams. I tried making a team with tail glow syclant and the other 5 are based on taking out counters and setting up spikes and spinning away stealth rock (blizzard+compound eyes is worth it). Basically, I looked at syclants counters, chose four poke sto counter those guys, with no synergy, and through in a forretress...worst idea ever. Gonna try an anti-syclant team. IE, just throw in 6 random poke sthat counter syclant. Post crappy results later! :)

First post FTW!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
God, I'm seeing more anti-syclant teams than pro-syclant teams. I tried making a team with tail glow syclant and the other 5 are based on taking out counters and setting up spikes and spinning away stealth rock (blizzard+compound eyes is worth it). Basically, I looked at syclants counters, chose four poke sto counter those guys, with no synergy, and through in a forretress...worst idea ever. Gonna try an anti-syclant team. IE, just throw in 6 random poke sthat counter syclant. Post crappy results later! :)

First post FTW!
Really? Every team I've played yesterday has had some variation of Syclant in it. Also Forretress can't really do the job reliably with a bunch of Rotoms running around, mostly Scarf Heat Rotoms. You can't really expect to get good results unless you actually try to make a team that works, lol.

As for me, I'm already seeing a higher increase of Scizor and speed dependent pokemon to outspeed Syclant. I think Syclant has made this metagame a bit more offensive, as some people are even running Mixclant sets that will dent Blissey too, somewhat. Without Argho to stop it in its tracks, Syclant has a lot more leeway in sweeping teams. Furthermore, without Arghonaut, Stall has lost a major component off its usual core, hopefully making Gyarados a lot more common.

To be honest, it's pretty annoying using Syclant for me. Not only is it quite difficult to use successfully, but it just dies to quickly. I mean, it can be revenge-killed by so many threats and its frail defenses don't help it either. Every Syclant I've faced would lose quite fast, wether it was from Scizor, Metagross, Rotom-h, or even Blissey.

I agree with Plus about how Syclant has impacted the metagame to become slightly more offensive. Many people are packing faster Pokemon then Syclant by using a Scarf or just using faster Pokemon in general. Stall has died down to, as I haven't seen any of them as of yet.

Just my thoughts.

Okay, the lack of stall has really opened up the way for lots of scarved sweepers. Heracross, gallade, etc. ar all doing very well. Swords Dance infernape is sweeping teams, syclant keep switching out, and since many players are using only skarmbliss for defense, he gets many free turns. Also been seing lots of bounce gyrados.
Curse you fuzznip! You keep paralyzing zapdos with that dang jirachi, then having gyra hax him out and beat me.

Syclant isn't that good. I used him a couple of times and he was always helpless.

I'm now using my standard OU team and it's doing quite good. I have accounted few Syclants and they did all poor against me.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Plus and I have been using a SpD oriented Vaporeon that I developed on the playtesting ladder and it has been working phenomenally. It has a few secrets that I don't feel like revealing as of yet (as to not jeopardize our ladder battles).

I don't think that stall is any less prevalent on the server than it was. I mean, it's not like we had anyone playing stall on the server prior to the test anyway. I'm the only one on the server that I can think of who actually uses stall somewhat consistently on the CAP ladder.

Syclant is pretty underwhelming. I have a feeling that if it still had Superpower, it would get a big boost without being overpowered, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Scizor is of course as popular as ever. Heatran usage is rising accordingly.

Starmie leads are still extremely common and haven't been phased by Syclant in the slightest.

I'll post more observations as they happen.

People should really start using Syclant as a lead more since it beats a vast majority of them (bar like Metagross? who it still dents significantly and Meta can't get down SR oh and Pert and Ape maybe)

I've honestly just been using a standard OU team with one adjustment of EVs on one pokemon and I'm currently number one. To be fair though, my team was already good at taking out Syclant, and the adjustment I've made was just a tertiary backup defense to it.

EDIT- #2 now =(

I may only be 17th but I will say that I have been loving my Choice Scarf set

Syclant
@ Choice Scarf
Mountaineer
EVs: 128 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 128 SpAtk (looking to improve these)
Naive

Move Set:
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Hidden Power Fire
U-Turn

Comment: A brutal revenge killer. He outspeeds everything including Agiligross and Kingdra's not running +nature speeds in Rain. It can 2HKO Mixed and DD Kingdra with Ice Beam and Stealth Rocks and can 2HKO Metagross with Earth Power. If you are good at predicting, you can try to nuke Heatran or Scizor on the switch (Scizor takes respectable damage from Earth Power too). The primary goal is to U-Turn though since, like Scizor, it does pretty sweet damage to anything and lets you scout. Scarf-Ape is a good partner since Fighting and Fire will handle many of Syclant's counters and he can also U-Turn away back to Syclant who can take on Starmie and Gyarados (Ice Beam 2HKOs Offensive versions with Stealth Rocks).

Oh and best of all, he's the only pokemon other than Clefable who can switch in repeatedly with Stealth Rock thanks to Mountaineer.

Tell me what you think.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heatran and Vaporeon, specifically Scarf Tran and Stellar's special set, have been both working like a charm for me. In this metagame, Speed and Bulk are two things that should at least be in most teams to succeed here. Syclant is kind of hard to switch in even with Mountaineer, however. Its sweeps haven't been as Stellar *haha get it stellar* as I had hoped it to be. I'd much rather run another end game sweeper, although Tail Glow Syclant is indeed powerful. It's just not easy to get it in.

Mixclant is kinda meh too. It just doesn't hit as hard as I'd like it to hit, even with Life Orb. It would be nice if it got back Superpower, although that's obviously out of the question. It's nice for scouting with U-turn, and hitting. That's just about it. With the bulk from pokemon like Swampert and Vaporeon and the priority users and Speed demons of the metagame such as BP Scizor, Scarftran, Scarf Rotom, it is still too hard to switch in. People are running so much Scarvers and pokemon that cannot be demolished easily, that Syclant really doesn't shine that much here.

I've been using Syclant as a lead pretty successfully. The set I run beats a lot of leads.

Syclant @ Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Tail Glow
-Blizzard
-Bug Buzz
-Earth Power

Using Syclant as a lead means I don't have to worry about Stealth Rock, which makes Compound Eyes the superior ability. This also is helpful because I'm losing Life Orb power by going with Focus Sash, so Blizzard makes up some of that while still being decently accurate. The only real problems it has are Azelf leads that go right for the attack rather than setting up Rocks. Metagross and Tyranitar leads also beat it failry easily, but you should know better than to stay in on them anyway. It's basically the same set I ran the first time Syclant was all by itself on the server and in the same position on my team. Had to re-do the team though, as Garchomp is now banned.

I've been using Syclant as a lead pretty successfully. The set I run beats a lot of leads.

Syclant @ Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Tail Glow
-Blizzard
-Bug Buzz
-Earth Power

Using Syclant as a lead means I don't have to worry about Stealth Rock, which makes Compound Eyes the superior ability. This also is helpful because I'm losing Life Orb power by going with Focus Sash, so Blizzard makes up some of that while still being decently accurate. The only real problems it has are Azelf leads that go right for the attack rather than setting up Rocks. Metagross and Tyranitar leads also beat it failry easily, but you should know better than to stay in on them anyway. It's basically the same set I ran the first time Syclant was all by itself on the server and in the same position on my team. Had to re-do the team though, as Garchomp is now banned.
I've been using the exact same lead as you, except I've been running Ice Shard over Tail Glow to knock out Aerodacytl and friends. It's been extremely successful and is by far the best set I've ever used for Syclant to be completely honest. Being a lead is what Syclant is good at, everything else is just.. ok in my opinion.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
I cant believe people are knocking syclants sweeping power, I used him along time ago quite effectively, I think i'll have a go at this again.

A long time ago he had a bigger movepool and Scizor didn't have Bullet Punch, among other things. Syclant has no staying power whatsoever right now, I think I'm just going to scarf him for revenge killing purposes. Using him as a lead is a good idea though, I'll have to try it.

Many people are complaining that Syclant has lost a great amount of usefulness when it had to undergo movepool changes, especially losing moves like Focus Blast and Superpower.

I feel that Syclant should once again undergo movepool changes, as it currently has moves that don't really "belong" in its movepool. It has moves such as Dig, Bounce, Crunch, Metal Claw, and Payback that don't normally make sense on this specific CAP. It needs a bit of a boost, but not so that it will become broken again.

It needs a slight revamp.

I've been trying to popularize this set since before playtesting began:

Syclant @ Life Orb
Mountaineer
Naive nature
-Ice Beam
-Brick Break
-U-turn
-Hidden Power Fire
252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe

The set is designed to be used as a scout in the early game, and then hit Syclant counters hard on the switch-in later on. Because of Arghonaut, the set never caught on, but with him out of the way, this should be viable.

As far as beating counters goes, Scizor, Heatran and Tyranitar are all OHKOed, though as I said, Scizor and ScarfTran will need to be hit on the switch-in. Blissey and Snorlax are 2HKOed, meaning they can be removed from the picture if you catch them switching in as well.

The set is best used in conjunction with a powerful special sweeper such as Alakazam, Porygon-Z, or, previously, Stratagem. Syclant does a great job of removing the best counters to these sweepers.

It also makes a decent revenge killer. The Speed is enough to outrun +Speed natured Gengar, Latias, and (formerly) Kitsunoh.

I would be using the set myself, but I have zero confidence in my team-building abilities when it comes to offensive teams, so I haven't been using Syclant at all. As far as the metagame goes, it hasn't changed much. I've seen a few Syclant, but between Gyarados and Scizor, they never give me trouble.

I've also been using a Syclant lead, except with a little twist:

Syclant @ Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
Mild
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Ice Shard
-Blizzard
-Bug Buzz
-Giga Drain

This set takes on after an Empoleon lead set I've been using in the past: Powerful STAB moves in Bug Buzz/Blizzard, STAB priority, and a Grass move to take on Swampert (which does ~80%). Against Azelf leads, I just go straight for the kill with Bug Buzz and Ice Shard to finish off Sashers. Bug Buzz puts a massive dent in Metagross, 2HKOing it. Works well as a late-game sweeper (if you opt for Ice Beam instead of Blizzard and Mountaineer instead of Compoundeyes for Stealth Rock).

I've also been using a Syclant lead, except with a little twist:

Syclant @ Focus Sash
Compound Eyes
Mild
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Ice Shard
-Blizzard
-Bug Buzz
-Giga Drain

This set takes on after an Empoleon lead set I've been using in the past: Powerful STAB moves in Bug Buzz/Blizzard, STAB priority, and a Grass move to take on Swampert (which does ~80%). Against Azelf leads, I just go straight for the kill with Bug Buzz and Ice Shard to finish off Sashers. Bug Buzz puts a massive dent in Metagross, 2HKOing it. Works well as a late-game sweeper (if you opt for Ice Beam instead of Blizzard and Mountaineer instead of Compoundeyes for Stealth Rock).
Nice idea but it loses badly to Infernape, Scarf-Jirachi, Lucario and Heatran leads (possibly more). Easy fix, swap Blizzard for Earth Power since that way you cover these hard counters (except Jirachi) and Blizzard doesn't beat any lead significantly except maybe a Zapdos or Gyarados lead (which I've seen but are super rare). Just something I think could help.

Sounds good, I think Earth Power over Giga Drain would be alot better in terms of type coverage. Besides, it's not like Swampert is such a huge deal since I can still dent him with Blizzard. :D

I've been playing almost all night (well, between trying to keep the chat under control) and I haven't seen a single Syclant since my last post. The metagame isn't noticeably different from Standard, at least not right now.

I like what somebody said just now:

minetfiber: syclant is terrible these days with the way scizor is spammed
minetfiber: in fact, most of the top pokes these days beat it
minetfiber: it is like weavile
minetfiber: without the sr weak
minetfiber: and with slightly better moves
minetfiber: for beating some of those counters on the switch

This is more or less my opinion as well. Anyway:

1. UMBREON DAN (1,551.84)
2. MINETFIBER (1,500.68)
3. BW (1,473.00)
4. BEEJ (1,463.48)
5. FLOE (1,445.25)

And with that, I suppose I can retire for the night. B)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
I've been playing almost all night (well, between trying to keep the chat under control) and I haven't seen a single Syclant since my last post.
Stop right here. Do NOT use last night as a method of judging the metagame. Everyone from Smogon server was on CAP. We have no OU ladder, so everyone was using Suspect. THAT is why there were no Syclant. I'm going to talk to Doug about removing last night from the data.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like what somebody said just now:

minetfiber: syclant is terrible these days with the way scizor is spammed
minetfiber: in fact, most of the top pokes these days beat it
minetfiber: it is like weavile
minetfiber: without the sr weak
minetfiber: and with slightly better moves
minetfiber: for beating some of those counters on the switch
That's so true...:(

I've found that a Life Orb Offensive Celebi acts as a great lure and answer for Tail Glow Syclant's main counters and checks (ScarfTran, Scizor, TTar, Bulky Waters), OHKOing all of them with a single moves.

This is my set:

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 46 Def/212 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Recover
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

TTar and Waters are OHKOed by Leaf Storm, Scizor is OHKOed by HP Fire, Heatran is OHKOed by EP. Recover lets you heal. As for EV's, Max Sp. Atk is obvious, Speed EVs beat everything below Jolly Gyarados, rest in defense to take some hits.

What do you guys think?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a little surprised to not hear anyone using one of the best moves in DPP, U-Turn. I'm currently trying out a Syclant set with Mountaineer (so it can come in multiple times), Ice Beam, Bug Buzz, Earth Power and U-Turn. U-Turning to Magnezone as Scizor comes in is pretty cool, and Syclant is too easy to revenge kill to stay in, stat-up and sweep anyway, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)