1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Syclar - Final Product

Discussion in 'CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop' started by Birkal, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Birkal

Birkal woops, butter fingers :>
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Well here we are, folks. I am incredibly proud to say that it has taken us only one month to get this completed from start to finish (that number is on the dot, by the way). We had a lot of incredible contributions, and I think you guys really set the bar high for what could come out of this side-project in the future. I'm impressed as to how many of you read up on your history! It was cool to see people referring often to Syclant's process when providing their thoughts and submissions. Again, I'd like to personally thank every single one of you that contributed to this process in some way. You are all beautiful <3

In terms of weight and height, I've made the final selections on those, as is customary of a normal CAP TL. Syclant doesn't have a weight or height to go off of, so I used my gut. I've decided on 0'08" (0.2m) for its height, which is the same size as Natu, Foongus, and Budew. I know that most pre-evos of Bug-types fall into the category of one foot. However, I feel that Syclar could get away with being a tad smaller. There is precedence in Burmy, so I feel justified in this. It's also going to be 8.8lbs (4.0kg), which I know is another questionable choice. For the record, that's in the same category as Seedot, Shellder, and Mew. It's far lighter than any other existing Ice-type, true. However, most of its body is not made up of ice, so I feel alright with splurging a bit on its weight. In its Pokedex entry it "rides on gusts of wind", so I fear that any more weight would make that really questionable. Overall, I was going for "petite" in Syclar's dimensions.

This is a Final Product thread, yes, but I'd also like to encourage you guys to use this thread to talk about what you thought of the Gen4 CAP Pre-Evolution Process in general. Was it fun and enjoyable? Is it something worth pursuing? How would you change it in the future? These things curiously me greatly; I'd like to know what the public's open thoughts are about potentially continuing this in the future. If you have any questions on what that might look like, don't be afraid to ask them in this thread.

So without further delay, I present to you Syclar, the pre-evolution of Syclant.

Name: Syclar
    Type: Ice / Bug
    Abilities: Compoundeyes / Snow Cloak
    Stats: 40 HP / 76 Atk / 45 Def / 74 SpA / 39 SpD / 91 Spe
    Weight: 8.8lbs (4.0kg)
    Height: 0'08" (0.2m)
    Movepool:
    Show Hide
    Level Up
    Code:
    Level	Move
    0	Fury Attack
    0	Leer
    5	Leech Life
    8	Ice Shard
    13	Focus Energy
    18	Icy Wind
    23	X-Scissor
    28	Hail
    35	Bug Buzz
    42	Ice Beam
    49	Sheer Cold

Evolve at Level 30 -> Ice Punch
    TUTOR Move
    Code:
    Bug Bite
    Counter
    Earth Power
    Fury Cutter
    Icy Wind
    Mimic
    Snore
    String Shot
    Superpower
    TM List
    Code:
    TM	Move
    TM03	Water Pulse
    TM06	Toxic
    TM07	Hail
    TM10	Hidden Power
    TM12	Taunt
    TM13	Ice Beam
    TM14	Blizzard
    TM17	Protect
    TM21	Frustration
    TM27	Return
    TM32	Double Team
    TM42	Facade
    TM43	Secret Power
    TM44	Rest
    TM45	Attract
    TM54	False Swipe
    TM56	Fling
    TM58	Endure
    TM62	Silver Wind
    TM72	Avalanche
    TM75	Swords Dance
    TM78	Captivate
    TM81	X-Scissor
    TM82	Sleep Talk
    TM83	Natural Gift
    TM87	Swagger
    TM89	U-turn
    TM90	Substitute

HM01 Cut
    EGG Moves
    Code:
    Earth Power
    Pin Missile
    Spikes
    Superpower
    Tail Glow

Pokedex Entries:
    Show Hide

Sprites:
    [​IMG]

Thank you all for your contributions. I think we have made something truly special here! I know that little Syclar will always have a place in my heart =)
  2. uwnim

uwnim

I would open up art earlier. Since we already have a design for all of them, there is no need to wait for other steps to happen first.
    From what I read, this does seem interesting and we should continue it.
  3. Pwnemon

Pwnemon Switching is a metagame trend
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

Highly upset that it doesn't have the density of a neutron star

Good project, guys, i dont see the need for any process edits so hopefully we can charge on into Embirch!
  4. Quanyails

Quanyails
    is an Artistis a Community Contributor

The process feels just right for future creations, in my opinion (okay, I agree with the art thing like uwnim mentioned). It's simple, well-timed and full of flavor, as it should be. Very enjoyable to contribute as well.
  5. Relados

Relados
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Really awesome!

Now if only Showdown! would support LC CAP...
  6. BlueStar99

BlueStar99

This process has been very simple, enjoyable and fun, unlike the main CAP where they argue a lot...xD It made me feel as if I helped really create Syclar.
  7. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Great little project to be involved with (helps I won a poll but still :P) Great work by everyone involved! I agree with the heights and weights too (Could of probably gotten away with even smaller).

The art could really go from dot point because we already have decent enough designs to work from. I think the whole process is really good though, everything we need is there. I think things might get a little more complicated with the 2 Stage prevolutions, but I am sure we can cope with that when it comes around.
  8. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Gah, its so cute. I love this little guy.

Anyways, this was a really fun project, and I am very happy with how it worked. Honestly, other than potentially changing when art opens, as suggested above, I can't really see any reason to change anything about this process. It worked really well this time, so why change? That being said, things might need to operate slightly differently for Embirch/Flarelm, due to having two prevos to work with, but I think we should just stick with what we have and adjust as needed.
  9. srk1214

srk1214 You spin my head right round
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

What jas said. Especially about moving on to CAP2 prevoSSSSSS (plural).
  10. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

Can't wait to make more CAP prevo art! I agree that it wouldn't hurt to open up the art thread at the start.
  11. Shelmet

Shelmet

Wow, great result.

Will this be going up on the site?
  12. SpecsX

SpecsX

^This. Art kinda held up the process because it was put up later. I mean, I love the art that came out, but we could definitely make this process even faster.
    Anyways, great job everyone who worked on Syclar!
  13. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Support early art opening, good job everyone on Syclar :)
    Big thanks to Birkal for being an awesome mini TL!
  14. coolbiz

coolbiz

Incredible thing I was able to be a part of, thanks Birkal!! Also thanks and good job to everyone who contributed! :)
  15. Birkal

Birkal woops, butter fingers :>
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

What is everyone's interest level on starting the next one? Would you like to wait until after CAP4 or start soon?
  16. Yarnus of Bethany

Yarnus of Bethany

I'd like to start the next one right up. There's not much reason not to.
  17. srk1214

Mentor

I feel there's no reason not to. Though I'm not sure why this isn't a PRC question.
  18. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

I'd wait until after CaP4, then we can refine the system a little bit too. CaP4 is just starting to get to the super competitive section of Movesets and Stats so people would probably rather cover that than a Prevo.
  19. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Isn't the question less "do we want to start the next one?" and more "how do we go about starting the next one?"

Next up, as most may recall, are Embirch and Flarelm, and we don't have a defined process yet for creating pre-evolutions in three-stage lines, where there is more than one to create. Do we make them at the same time? One after the other? Or are the projects entirely separate? How does that work?

Etc.
  20. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

I think bmb brings up an important point. While I diasgree with DHR in that I believe the increased CAP forum traffic will actually help participation in the prevo project, I would be hesitant to start right away without knowing exactly how we are going to do it. Additionally, as mentioned on IRC, I think it would probably be best to wait until after the main CAP art stage is over so as to not have prevo art distract from that of the main CAP. However, if we can work out how we are doing both prevos in a 3 stage line before the art phase ends, then I see no reason not to start as soon as that time comes.
  21. srk1214

Mentor

I think that the easiest option for constructing the three stage line is to do things as combined as possible. I would personally prefer to see movepool, stat, and art submissions all be dual so as both to not have the process drag and to maintain as continuous flavor as possible.

Pokedex entries and sprites could be voted on separately as entries are entirely flavor and can vary across lines, while sprites are derived from art.
  22. coolbiz

coolbiz

Start ASAP
  23. SpecsX

SpecsX

Right now, if not sooner.
    I know you have a time machine
  24. UllarWarlord

UllarWarlord

I just realized something.

This is missing a party sprite.

No, not that. I mean a sprite to represent it in the 'Party' screen of your game.

...yes, ik it would help out ASB more than the community at large, but everyone else got one...it's only fair, imo.
  25. Objection

Objection

Actually the prevos for Tomohawk and Necturna don't have party sprites iirc.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)