Syclar - Part 3 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compoundeyes is definitely a must for syclar because of its giant eyes. Some other possible secondary abilities for Syclar include Tinted Lens, Run Away, and Keen Eye. Run Away, despite being useless, is a pretty appropriate ability on a little bug type such as Syclar. It would share this characteristic with other small bug types that get run away, such as caterpie, weedle, kricketot, venonat, nincada, and wurmple. Tinted Lens and Keen Eye are mostly based on the fact that it has giant eyes (lol). Tinted Lens is an ability shared by a lot of other bug types, such as illumise, venonat, mothim, yanmega. It would also be a pretty good competitive option over compund eyes if a CAP LC were to be created.

Rattled is Gen V, in much the same vein as Unnerve is. As this is a Gen IV CaP Prevo, we are unable to use Gen V abilities.

Also; Tail Glow is an Egg Move, so it's weird how people seem to be fixating on that in terms of Illuminate as a secondary. Snow Warning is a basically a no go too for obvious reasons.

I really like Snow Cloak/Swarm/Shell Armour. All are great flavour for Syclar.
My apologies. I meant Run Away. I always get those 2 abilities confused. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

Anways, I meant Run Away.

For some odd reason, when ever I see Syclar now, I think of Joltik. But I don't think the abilities should reflect that. As such, I disagree with Swarm.

I like the idea of replacing Mountaineer with Snow Cloak. I feel like it really captures Syclar in a simple way, as well as keeping its cute Compoundeyes. I could get behind Illuminate as well, cause that'd make some awesome Christmas tree lights if there was ever a CAP Christmas Special. Just saying.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Mountaineer should be axed. I like the narrative of Syclar hiding in caves until they are mature enough to go out and be badass hunters on the slopes themselves. Keep Compoundeyes.

Meanwhile, I think the best thing to be the replacement for Mountaineer is something along similar lines of "protection" so I'm going to suggest Shell Armor.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While originally I wasn't in love with Compoundeyes due to the lack of, well, compound eyes, I relized that Pokemon like Galvantula and Joltik don't really have compound eyes either despite the ability, and outside of the art, I think it really works flavor-wise. However,I'm going to have to agree with a lot of people that mountaineer doesn't really make much sense. The little we have about it shows it to be way to weak or whatnot to be able to survive alon in the mountains, making mountaineer not a very good fit.

That being said, I personally prefer Swarm of all the abilities that people have thrown out there. Its a popular ability among bugs, and flavor wise it captures the basic nature of Syclar. Not anything special really, but it just fits. That being said, if we want one of the two abilities to emphasize its Ice-typing then I think Snow Cloak would be a good fit. Once again, a very vanilla ability for an ice type, but it works pretty well.

Lastly, I just want to say I really do not like the idea of Illuminate. Nothing against the ability, but the fact is that, while it does get Tail Glow, the only reason we know for sure it will have it is because it is an egg move. And, as an egg move, it is not an intrinsically important part of the Pokemon. Yes, its tail can glow. But no, it is not a Volbeat or Mollux, where the tail glowing is a defining part of its existence.

I'm here to throw my support for Compouneyes/Snow Cloak.

Mountaineer is an Ability that reflects Syclant's aptitude to protect itself from its rocky habitat.
Syclat instead, stays in a cave/nest/any place it can call home, wich is located in a cold area. Snow Cloak would reflect Syclar capacity to defend itself from predators in it's own habitat, wich is a really cold place. Also, I don't believe Syclar would leave its nest until fully grown up.

I was going to say to ditch Compoundeyes because Syclar doesn't really have bug-eyes, but then I looked at all the other 'mons with Compoundeyes and Joltik/Galvantula, their closest comparison, don't have bug-eyes either. So instead I think Ice Body should replace Mountaineer, so Syclar's body is healed by hail, but as it grows stronger into Syclant, it's body becomes resistant to rock with Mountaineer.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm really liking the discussion thus far. I'd like it to continue. However, let me make a few points about the slate I'm currently debating.

I think it is safe to say that everyone would like either Mountaineer or Compoundeyes to stay (i.e. no putting in two completely new abilities). So, it is probably safe to make the first ability poll for those two abilities only. The poll afterwards would then consist of the original ability that lost and the top suggested abilities of this thread. Here is what I am thinking for our second ability poll:
Mountaineer / Compoundeyes (whichever one loses the first ability poll)
Swarm
Illuminate
Snow Cloak
No Secondary Ability​
I'm not completely set on this list, so I'd like discussion to continue to take place. Note that whichever ability won the first poll would still retain its place as primary or secondary ability. For example, if Mountaineer won, it would be Syclant's secondary ability. Does that make sense? If you need clarification, speak up.

Continue the discussion! I just wanted to let you all know what I'm thinking in terms of polls. Some of the regular CAP polls take weeks to discuss and vote on abilities. While I'd like to be thorough, I also wish to make the process simplistic. Note that this also means that this would be our last ability discussion for Syclar. Sound good?

Compoundeyes should be the primary ability, as most people seem to think(and I agree) that Mountaineer doesn't fit Syclar's flavor. I don't really have a decisive opinion on its secondary ability, though.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I agree that Tail Glow being an egg move does not lend credibility to Illuminate being a good option, I will say that of all 8 Illuminate holders, only Volbeat learns Tail Glow at all.
(I will also say I never used Tail Glow as a main argument, only a suggestion).

I can't really get behind Swarm other than for the reason that it's "a generic Bug-type ability". There isn't enough flavour to justify it, and if we were using a proper CAP process of "competitive matters", then Swarm would never be used over Compoundeyes (only because Blizzard). In fact, hardly anything would be used; Mountaineer is one of the few abilities Syclar could feasibly have that it would want over Compoundeyes, and the consensus is that we don't want Mountaineer.

So we could just go with no secondary ability altogether.... Just throwing that out there also.

If were using a proper CAP process of "competitive matters", then Swarm would never be used over Compoundeyes (only because Blizzard). In fact, hardly anything would be used; Mountaineer is one of the few abilities Syclar could feasibly have that it would want over Compoundeyes
Actually, with that SR weakness, a Sub+Swarm+Pinch Berry could work. Switch into something it threatens, sub and activate, and sweep with Bug Buzz and whatever
other moves.

Many bugs breed in, well, swarms. I was under the impression that 100s of Syclar would live in the same cave.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
There isn't enough flavour to justify it, and if we were using a proper CAP process of "competitive matters", then Swarm would never be used over Compoundeyes (only because Blizzard). In fact, hardly anything would be used; Mountaineer is one of the few abilities Syclar could feasibly have that it would want over Compoundeyes, and the consensus is that we don't want Mountaineer.

So we could just go with no secondary ability altogether.... Just throwing that out there also.
To respond to the first section, we actually aren't working off of the normal CAP process. Instead, we are using the pre-evolution standards, which dictates that we focus first and foremost on flavor. I do understand your point of not getting behind Swarm though from your previous paragraph, so you're fine!

And that was a bloop on my part; no secondary ability would certainly be added to the secondary ability poll. My bad.

I'm really liking the discussion thus far. I'd like it to continue. However, let me make a few points about the slate I'm currently debating.

I think it is safe to say that everyone would like either Mountaineer or Compoundeyes to stay (i.e. no putting in two completely new abilities). So, it is probably safe to make the first ability poll for those two abilities only. The poll afterwards would then consist of the original ability that lost and the top suggested abilities of this thread. Here is what I am thinking for our second ability poll:
Mountaineer / Compoundeyes (whichever one loses the first ability poll)
Swarm
Illuminate
Snow Cloak
Run Away
No Secondary Ability​
I'm not completely set on this list, so I'd like discussion to continue to take place. Note that whichever ability won the first poll would still retain its place as primary or secondary ability. For example, if Mountaineer won, it would be Syclant's secondary ability. Does that make sense? If you need clarification, speak up.

Continue the discussion! I just wanted to let you all know what I'm thinking in terms of polls. Some of the regular CAP polls take weeks to discuss and vote on abilities. While I'd like to be thorough, I also wish to make the process simplistic. Note that this also means that this would be our last ability discussion for Syclar. Sound good?
I am still in full support of the ability Run Away on Syclar. Granted, this ability has absolutely no competitive value, but it is about flavor. Run away logically makes sense on a small bug type such as Syclar. Its bug/ice typeage
provides it with a crippling weakness to fast fire types and rock types (which could throw rocks at it from a distance :3). The ability to run away quickly would greatly enable the survival of the species, and be a possible form of (biological) evolution. Ifuss further backed by Syclar's fast as fuck evolution. In addition, it would share this ability with other small bug types such as venonat, kricketot, caterpie, weedle, nincada, and wurmple.

Birkal

We have the technology.
I hate to sound bossy, but I'm not going to slate Run Away. The only precedence would be on Venonat and Kricketot, which both only receive it as a hidden ability in Gen5. All Bug-types follow the same suit, actually.

Anyways, this discussion has run its course. I am going to keep with the same slate I posted here. Expect the next voting thread up shortly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)