1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Syclar - Part 6 - Dex Entry Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop' started by Birkal, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birkal

Birkal We have the technology.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

In the first thread of this pre-evolution process, we discussed some of the overall ideas that we need to focus on for Syclar, the pre-evolution of Syclant. At the end, I threw out some thoughts that are necessary to consider for the future of Syclar. Please read through that post you you understand where I'm coming from in the following threads. Thanks!

Hiya! Welcome to the last stage of our CAP Gen4 pre-evo process for Syclar. You guys know the drill: it's the pre-evolution of Syclant, so make sure you know your stuff. We also discussed a bit of Syclar's flavor in the Syclar Overview thread, so you might want to brush up on that. Also, it'd be great if you'd look at Scylant's Pokedex Entries that were created a few years ago. From what I've gathered from that thread, poll options 3, 5, and 6 won, so use those as a reference point when writing flavor, if you like.

Here's some rules you gotta follow:

• Dex entries must be submitted as a final submission to be considered for the final poll. Bold the words 'Final Submission' in your post for it to be considered as such.
    • You may ask for advice, but bumping of any kind is disallowed. If people don't comment on your dex entry, let that be your feedback. You can revise it and repost it, but don't ask countless times for feedback.
    • Dex entries are typically 1 to 3 concise sentences. Look at pre-existing dex entries to get an idea for how these are formatted.
    • The are Generation 4 Pokedex Entry Submissions, not BW. Make sure you don't follow Gen5 conventions and please provide DPPt entries.
    • Keep entries in good taste. If it happens on Animal Planet or in National Geographic, it's fair game, but gratuitously violent or excessively disgusting entries will be infracted and deleted.
    • Do not post "Cool!" or "I like this one!" without additional comments. Substantiate your posts. Your post will be infracted and deleted if you do this. Make sure that you provide supp comments when you say stuff like this.
    • You may only submit one final submission. If you want to change your final submission before the deadline, that's fine, but do not repost it. Edit your original final submission.
    • Please include the species name. Although Syclant does not have one, please include your own interpretation of one for Syclar.

If you have any other questions, let me know! You can also pop into our IRC channel, #cap, to talk with CAP participants about your entry. We're willing to give you meaningful feedback on your Pokedex Entry submissions. Best of luck.

Hoop doop around 48 hours schwing schwang kablam

What we have so far:

Name: Syclar
    Type: Ice / Bug
    Abilities: Compoundeyes / Snow Cloak
    Stats: 40 HP / 76 Atk / 45 Def / 74 SpA / 39 SpD / 91 Spe
    Movepool:
    Show Hide
    Level Up
    Code:
    Level	Move
    0	Fury Attack
    0	Leer
    5	Leech Life
    8	Ice Shard
    13	Focus Energy
    18	Icy Wind
    23	X-Scissor
    28	Hail
    35	Bug Buzz
    42	Ice Beam
    49	Sheer Cold

Evolve at Level 30 -> Ice Punch
    TUTOR Move
    Code:
    Bug Bite
    Counter
    Earth Power
    Fury Cutter
    Icy Wind
    Mimic
    Snore
    String Shot
    Superpower
    TM List
    Code:
    TM	Move
    TM03	Water Pulse
    TM06	Toxic
    TM07	Hail
    TM10	Hidden Power
    TM12	Taunt
    TM13	Ice Beam
    TM14	Blizzard
    TM17	Protect
    TM21	Frustration
    TM27	Return
    TM32	Double Team
    TM42	Facade
    TM43	Secret Power
    TM44	Rest
    TM45	Attract
    TM54	False Swipe
    TM56	Fling
    TM58	Endure
    TM62	Silver Wind
    TM72	Avalanche
    TM75	Swords Dance
    TM78	Captivate
    TM81	X-Scissor
    TM82	Sleep Talk
    TM83	Natural Gift
    TM87	Swagger
    TM89	U-turn
    TM90	Substitute

HM01 Cut
    EGG Moves
    Code:
    Earth Power
    Pin Missile
    Spikes
    Superpower
    Tail Glow

Sprite:
    [​IMG]
  2. Mari

Mari

Final submission

Syclar -
    the Ice Louse Pokémon

Diamond.
    It is able to live in the most barren tundras. It is told that northern lights are caused by swarms of it.

Pearl. It only nourishes on snow and ice. Its special mouthparts allow it to grind the morning hoar frost.

Platinum. Its body mainly consists of an ice crystal. It refracts light into a rainbow of colours.

Underlined
    sentences are changed.
  3. Eagle4

Eagle4

Birkal, one of the rules you stated explained that these are not B/W entries, and shouldn't follow their method of Pokedex entries. However, later down, you state that our Pokedex entries have to include both B/W entries. I'm confused!
  4. SpecsX

SpecsX

This. Also, are we required to write HGSS entries as well?
  5. Espeon65

Espeon65

Final Submission:

Diamond: They lure other pokemon with the sparkling ice crystal on their body before devouring them.

Pearl: They are said to make a journey up the mountain at a certain age. They evolve on the way up.

Platinum: People believe that if the ice melts in their body, they will die very soon after.

Edits are underlined.

EDIT: Okay, I'll call Syclar the Ice Beetle pokemon, and call Syclant the Frozen Mantis pokemon.

@Quanyails I am going to keep my Diamond entry, even if it is like other CAP entries. And, to the believe/can be tested thing, I don't think scientists would try and see if they can murder a helpless little bug. I just don't see PETA being happy with that XD. But I can change it from scientists to people.
  6. srk1214

srk1214 You spin my head right round
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

Final Submission

Diamond: Syclar huddle together with their soft underbellies touching so that their hard shells face outward for protection.

Pearl: Though Syclar's icy claws may be short, they are nearly as hard as diamonds. However, they are used only as a last line of defense when attacked.

Platinum: According to legend, Syclar do not hatch from eggs, but rather emerge fully grown from within the frozen walls of their caves.

Also,

Syclant and Syclar (the same), the Ice Ant Pokemon.
  7. Quanyails

Quanyails
    is an Artistis a Community Contributor

Final Submission

Syclar, the Scurrying Pokémon

Diamond: SYCLAR fling themselves into blizzards, using their fledgling wings to glide with gusts.

Pearl: Its abdomen wriggles as it walks. In snow, this conceals tracks that would otherwise alert predators.

Platinum: To exercise its juvenile wings, it seeks out blizzards and rides with the wind.

The entries are rather short, but only if it's because actual entries from D/P/Pt are that length, instead of Syclant's longer ones.

Edit: Finalized my entries. Remember, people, gen. 4 format has allcaps pokemon names!

Comments:

Show Hide

• Mari: No comma between 'told' and 'that'. The diamond entry's first sentence sounds a bit... obvious. Perhaps something like living on the sheer cliffs above the tree line can provide a more interesting perspective into Syclar's habitat. The mouthparts thing is cool, no pun intended. Instead of 'the rainbow colors', I think it would sound better as 'a rainbow of colors' or 'the colors of the rainbow'.
    • Espeon65: Heh, I feel luring other pokemon somehow is overdone in CAP. That speaks from personal experience. If you want to keep it, trim the comma before 'before'. Pearl's is interesting about some habit Syclar all share; believable, too! As for the Platinum one... well, 'believe', versus 'it can be tested'? Surely something like that is less mythical and more verifiable.
    • srk1214: The Diamond entry works. Funny how the Pearl entry references diamonds, and I can understand why Syclar would rather not use its claws at first. X-Scissor would contradict that entry, but hey, inconsistencies are common among entries and games. Legend one is legendary in the literal sense of the word.
  8. Birkal

is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Then be confused no longer! I fixed the rule; it was a typo on my part. We're only making DPPt Pokedex entries, not BW ones.

Nope! Most of the Gen4 CAPs actually were only christened with one Pokedex entry (as far as I can tell). I'm actually expanding the process by going into three dex entries. Focus on those three.

As far as I can tell, Syclant does have such a labeling. However, let's be thorough here, so yes, please do include the species name for Syclant. Thanks for asking! I'll put it in the rules.
  9. SpecsX

SpecsX

FINAL SUBMISSION

Syclant: Mountaineering Pokemon
    Syclar: Snow Beetle Pokemon

Diamond: Small groups of SYCLAR live in small burrows. Any minor depression in the snow is liable to be a SYCLAR den.

Pearl: When SYCLAR are frightened, they disappear into the snow. If cornered, they use their claws and teeth to attack and escape.

Platinum: When SYCLAR get nearly strong enough to evolve, they become very aggresive. It is not unusual for these SYCLAR to attack anything that moves.
  10. Pwnemon

Pwnemon Switching is a metagame trend
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Doubles Co-Lead

Let's see if i can redeem myself after deck SO CRUELLY SHAFTED ME in the mollux entries

Final Submission

Syclar: the Snow Bug Pokemon
    Syclant: the Icicle Bug Pokemon

Diamond: The ice in its abdomen is not simply water; it is a special mixture of juices that keeps its body temperature below freezing at all times.

Pearl: Its main defense is burrowing in the snow, hiding from predators it cannot outrun through the craggy mountains.

Platinum: It is estimated that a batch of eggs contains as many as 20,000,000 young, but due to fierce predators and scarcity of edible plants, it is rare for more than one to survive to adulthood.
  11. Birkal

CAP Head Mod

Since apparently it isn't clear... You don't need to post Syclant's species; we're just focusing on Syclar here. I mean, you're allowed to, but it's not required by any means.
  12. RavensNation

RavensNation

Okay... So here's my PokéDex submission for Syclar, the Icicle Pokémon. This will be my Final Submission.

Diamond: SYCLAR typically live at the feet of tall, snow-capped mountains. From the day they hatch, they aspire to someday scale the tallest of peaks.

Pearl: SYCLAR celebrate the onset of winter by coming out of their summer burrows and using their small, sharp claws to skate on the fresh river ice.

Platinum: Riding the gusts of blizzards, a swarm of SYCLAR is doubly harmful to even the hardiest of crops; they eat whatever plant matter the cold winds and snow leave untouched.
  13. Birkal

CAP Head Mod

I have Chemistry lab tomorrow at noon Central Time, so consider this your 27 hour warning. Hehe.
  14. Birkal

CAP Head Mod

Time!

Here's my slate:

srk1214
    Quanyails
    SpecsX
    Pwnemon
    RavensNation

Expect the next poll up in a few moments.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)