1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Sydney Regionals Team - Intimidation (Rate My Team)

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Jaffa Ball, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jaffa Ball

Jaffa Ball

Team Name: Intimidation

I will be taking this team to Sydney VGC Regionals in Australia, and I hope to win a place to Nationals in the Senior Division. I have already bred this team and really want this six to work. I know they are kind of cookie-cutter, but Australia isn't the most conventional community and I think that honestly something that might be cookie-cutter in American regionals could be unconventional in Australia. Without furtherado here is the team :

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Level: 50
    EVs: 204 Atk / 252 HP / 52 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Speed
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball
    - Protect
    - Power Whip

I really like Ferrothorn, once Fighting types and Fire types like Charizard Y, or Scrafty are off the field Ferrothorn can sit and Leech Seed and Protect, as a sort of win-condition. The EV's allow it to defeat Rotom-W with a Power Whip, and still be bulky with 252 HP and 52 SDef. This team is weak to Rain teams and Ferrothorn adds bulk to my team and counteracts Rain teams well, all round a Team Player. Also credit to Ray Rizzo, I practically copy pasted this Ferrothorn.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Unnerve
    EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Tailwind
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect
    - Taunt

I love Aerodactyl. My team has two really fast Pokemon Aerodactyl and Manectric-Mega, however Tailwind allows all of them to reach Blazing Speeds bar Ferrothorn. I don't often use Aerodactyl and Ferrothorn together because unlike the other 4 team-members they don't synergise. Rock Slide is my only attacking move it generally gets effective KO's against 4x weak Pokemon like Charizard/ Talonflame. It also gets STAB and is a coveted Spread move coupled with Aerodactyl's Speed is phenomenal. Taunt is for those pesky Dark Void Smeargle primarily. It also means that some Pokemon can't use Protect which is really useful end-game when your opponent is locked into there final two Pokemon.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
    Ability: Thick Fat
    EVs: 28 HP/ 164 Attack / 84 Defense / 36 Special Defense / 196 Speed
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Protect
    - Earthquake

Mamoswine was my sixth choice for this team. My team really lacked Ice and Ground STAB's so Mamoswine fit perfectly. It synergizes phenomenally with Aerodactyl's Tailwind and to make sure opposing Salamence can't defeat mine as even a -1 Ice Shard can defeat Mence, Icicle Crash is for the Main STAB. It hits like a truck and is really reliable. That's about it for Mamoswine. The EV Spread was suggested by ushaikh17 over on Nugget Bridge and it has been working out.

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Speed / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Stone Edge

This thing. The previous three where team players through and through. But this thing gets the glory. Special Salamence, is amazing. With access to Intimidate the best ability in VGC, this thing grinds Physical Attackers like Garchomp and Mawile to a halt. Unfortunately it needs to switch out on Mamoswine, as even -1 Ice Shard's severely cripple if not get a KO on Salamence. With a wide range of attacks, it is integral on defeating Amoonguss and Ferrothorn while hitting non-resists with nuke Draco Meteor, Stone Edge is a little inaccurate but rounds of the coverage nicely hitting Charizard and Talonflame for KO's. The EV's and Nature are so it AT THE VERY LEAST speed ties with other Salamence. Also notable is because I run Choice Scarf, I cannot run Protect.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 140 SDef / 44 SAtk / 28 Speed
    Calm Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Protect
    - Will-O-Wisp

I had trouble breeding a Rotom. But boy was it worth it. This Defensive EV Spread allows it to take Play Roughs from Mawile and SolarBeam's from Charizard Y. 44 SpA is so offensively it isn't a complete slouch. 28 Speed is the leftovers and can be utilised to get the jump on other Rotom. The set is pretty standard getting more coverage on physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp and the omnipresent Protect, coupled with its most potent STAB's.

Manectric @ Manectite
    Ability: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Speed / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Protect
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

The team Mega. Getting Intimidate when it Mega Evolves, a Blazing 135 Speed and access to Volt Switch makes it the bane of any Physical Sweepers existence. Overheat is phenomenal. If it isn't the right time to go for a Fire Blast with Salamence or I've left Salamence out completely Overheat covers me. Hidden Power [Ice] leaves Garchomp and other 4x Pokemon scratching there head. Overall, when coupled with Salamence, Manectric can -2 a Mega-Kangaskhan before it knows whats happened and Protect to stall out the weird Mega Speed mechanic and absorb the oncoming Fake Out.
  2. lucariojr

lucariojr goodra will hunting
    is a Contributor to Smogon

this is in the wrong forum, but i'mma be real and say that i never check the RMT forum for VGC teams anyway so i'll just answer here because I FEEL LIKE IT.

i've played with mega mane, and i think the biggest problems ive had with it is that:

1) it suffers from some major 4MSS; volt switch is weak, thunderbolt doesn't have much utility, hp ice is great for double dragons, and overheat is really what mega mawile and company are afraid of.
    2) it's frail even with intimidate, unless you can effectively stack them, which can be hard to do since a lot of the other cool intimidators are either frail or can be ohkoed by common stuff. low base defense stats really show when you're forced to take returns or hydro pumps.
    3) sometimes, it really isn't strong enough. it only ohkoes garchomp 40% of the time with timid hp ice, can barely ohko zard with tbolt (god forbid you're facing bulkyzard or zardX)

with that said, if you want to use mega mane, you should be able to bounce around on your opponent and keep these things in mind while teambuilding. not that there's anything wrong with the move choices (really, mane can't deviate from it much) but i think you could make your team a little bulkier and change a few mons around. aero doesn't do much besides check zard i think (really, the only mon that benefits from tailwind is mamo) and mamo is 'kinda' bulky but still doesn't take hits too well, so they would be first on the chopping block imo. next up is rotom-w, which is pretty solid, but is just kind of doing its own thing and not really supporting that much. i think azumarill could fit the team better, as you could redirect electric attacks with regular manectric (or at least threaten to) while it belly drums or even helping hand boosts your team.

now im losing the team rating feel, so i'll leave you w/ this:

1. lose mamo and aero since they don't help the idea of a bouncy defensive mane team imo.
    2. replace rotom-w with azumarill to give the team some teeth (this also creates a steel+fairy+dragon core)
    3. with the empty slots, look for tanky mons like rotom-h.

bed time

edit: oh yeah, and you could probably EV your mence to be bulkier, but it's alright as it is. dragon pulse is a terrible move though and you shouldn't tempt yourself with it so put sleep talk there for khan-artist or something.
  3. bwebber

bwebber

This is pretty much the exact same team I have, except with Azumarill/Hydreigon instead of Salamence/Mamoswine and Rotom's EVs being slightly different. Wrong forum, yeah, but I figured I'd post anyway given that this is going to be really easy to rate since I have quite a bit of practice with the team.

- It's a team I had good success with earlier this year, but I feel its core is really outdated now. I don't know what the Australian metagame is like but in the rest of the world, Mega Venusaur, Rotom-H and to a lesser extent Hydreigon have shot up in usage, and all three are Pokemon that give Mega Manectric problems. It's still a solid 'mon, I think, but its frailty has been highlighted for me significantly recently and the meta has adjusted to becoming bulkier to bypass Manectric's excellent coverage (same reason why special Tyranitar is no longer good IMO).

- Aerodactyl was a Pokemon I really liked on the team given how well it could counter Sun and provide speed control in general with Tailwind/Taunting Trick Room, but Charizard Y + Venusaur has plummeted in usage, as has Talonflame. Aerodactyl is a really good Pokemon I think, but as lucariojr said, it might not be the best fit with Tailwind support. I used Tailwind to counteract opposing Tailwind + Sun, but ever since I added Azumarill to the team I no longer needed it to outspeed Salamence. I also personally prefer Pressure instead of Unnerve, as it can allow you to scout for Salamence's item. LO and Specs have started becoming more popular so knowing what item it has will help greatly in knowing how to beat it.

- I use Hydreigon over Salamence since the team is really weak to Bisharp. Hydreigon's higher SAtk is also noteworthy, as Volt Switch then Draco has KOed just about every Rotom (both forms, actually) I come across. People often ignore the chip damage Volt Switch provides but it's often enough to allow Draco to pick up the pieces. This isn't really true with Salamence.

I have a tournament in two weeks, which isn't nearly enough time I'd like to make a new team especially given how busy I've been recently, but I'd still rather take that route than use an extremely similar team I have since it's kinda outdated. I feel this may be too critical though; it was a solid team earlier in the year, and you're an Australian senior so your competition could very well not have adjusted to the meta game yet. Best of luck, and Manectric is still easily the coolest mega. :toast:
  4. Jaffa Ball

Jaffa Ball

Thanks guys for the help sorry for posting in the wrong forum, the new team looks a little something like this:
    Manectric
    Rotom-Heat
    Azumarill
    Ferrothorn
    Garchomp
    Amoonguss

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)