Pokémon Sylveon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably been brought up somewhere before, but specs Sylveon is worth another mention. A specs Hyper Voice hits harder than any other fairy move in OU, leaving a massive dent or outright OHKOing things expecting a hit from the defensive set.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire/Ground
- Psyshock

This set has a lot of surprise factor to it, being able to lure in your common checks and demolish them with a super-effective hit. Hyper Voice is what you'll want to use 90% of the time, hitting single resists harder than anything not super-effective. Everything else is there only to hit fairy resists super-effectively. Shadow Ball 2HKOs Aegislash through shield form, while a +2 shadow sneak from weakness policy sets won't be able to kill you. The choice of hidden power is determined by what you're looking to bait in. HP ground 2HKOs specially-defensive Heatran, while HP fire hits Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP rock is also an option for things like Volcarona and Rotom-H, but neither of them are seen nearly as often. Psyshock hits Mega Venusaur decently hard, though it falls short of 2HKOing physically defensive sets while Sludge Bomb is a 3HKO. This is probably the most flexible spot on the moveset, as Psyshock doesn't hit anything else besides Tentacruel and Scolipede. Draining Kiss can be used to get some health back from weakened targets, but it will likely force you to switch out once something healthier comes in. If Sylveon gets trick or something from a tutor in the near future, it would be an excellent way to ruin the pink blobs as they try to come in on you.

The set does require a bit of prediction to pull off sometimes, but it's definitely worth using.
Use Baton pass instead of Psyshock, it can give you some momentum or safely switch in something. Psyshock doesnt have much use in reality (fail to 2HKOs MegaSaur, Scolipede can use Iron Defense, so it also fail to 2HKOs, the only reason to use is Tentecruel, which is rare)

Use Baton pass instead of Psyshock, it can give you some momentum or safely switch in something. Psyshock doesnt have much use in reality (fail to 2HKOs MegaSaur, Scolipede can use Iron Defense, so it also fail to 2HKOs, the only reason to use is Tentecruel, which is rare)
All of the relevant/ranked poison types in OU:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 160-190 (43.9 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 386-456 (147.3 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scolipede: 282-332 (87 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scolipede: 282-332 (87 - 102.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 342-404 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 342-404 (79.1 - 93.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I think that Psyshock still has merit on a specs set. Scoliopede can't come in on a Psyshock so it won't have a chance to use Iron Defense if Sylveon is already in.

It's probably been brought up somewhere before, but specs Sylveon is worth another mention. A specs Hyper Voice hits harder than any other fairy move in OU, leaving a massive dent or outright OHKOing things expecting a hit from the defensive set.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fire/Ground
- Psyshock

This set has a lot of surprise factor to it, being able to lure in your common checks and demolish them with a super-effective hit. Hyper Voice is what you'll want to use 90% of the time, hitting single resists harder than anything not super-effective. Everything else is there only to hit fairy resists super-effectively. Shadow Ball 2HKOs Aegislash through shield form, while a +2 shadow sneak from weakness policy sets won't be able to kill you. The choice of hidden power is determined by what you're looking to bait in. HP ground 2HKOs specially-defensive Heatran, while HP fire hits Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP rock is also an option for things like Volcarona and Rotom-H, but neither of them are seen nearly as often. Psyshock hits Mega Venusaur decently hard, though it falls short of 2HKOing physically defensive sets while Sludge Bomb is a 3HKO. This is probably the most flexible spot on the moveset, as Psyshock doesn't hit anything else besides Tentacruel and Scolipede. Draining Kiss can be used to get some health back from weakened targets, but it will likely force you to switch out once something healthier comes in. If Sylveon gets trick or something from a tutor in the near future, it would be an excellent way to ruin the pink blobs as they try to come in on you.

The set does require a bit of prediction to pull off sometimes, but it's definitely worth using.
I've used this set quite a bit, Shadow Ball is the least used move. Psyshock is important just because of Mega Venusar 2hko with rocks, and also hits Gengar, Tentacruel, does the most damage to Blissey, Scoliopede, Amoonguss and the uncommon Roserade. Shadow ball pretty much hits Aegislash a tiny bit harder than Hidden Power, just for Mega Venusaur alone it is worth it. BP/Heal Bell/Wish>Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
I've been running a fairly basic cleric set with the addition of charm for the physical switch-ins and it's been working fantastic.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpD / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal bell
- Charm

Often find myself switching in and soaking up a special hit, charming the subsequent physical switch in and then switching out, or using wish, depending on whether the switch in has ability to 2hko me while burned. And heal bell cos well, heal bell is the best move ever on a defensive team.

Sylveon@Leftovers
252 HP / 176 Def / 100 SpDef
Ability: Pixiliate
Adamant / Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest / Wish
- Sleep Talk / Protect / Heal Bell

The plan is simple: Curse yourself into immortality and wreck shit with boosted Return.
This spread makes sure CBTalonflame doesn't 2HKO at +1.
Also, i think Return hits harder than Suicune's Scald

0 Atk Pixilate Sylveon Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sunkern: 247-292 (122.8 - 145.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sunkern: 195-229 (97 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

By the way, it was normal sunkern

Last edited:
Sylveon@Leftovers
252 HP / 176 Def / 100 SpDef
Ability: Pixiliate
Adamant / Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest / Wish
- Sleep Talk / Protect / Heal Bell

The plan is simple: Curse yourself into immortality and wreck shit with boosted Return.
This spread makes sure CBTalonflame doesn't 2HKO at +1.
Also, i think Return hits harder than Suicune's Scald

0 Atk Pixilate Sylveon Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sunkern: 247-292 (122.8 - 145.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sunkern: 195-229 (97 - 113.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

By the way, it was normal sunkern

I'm...not sure if you're being serious. Curse Sylveon has already been discussed and its pretty bad. Sylveon's base Atk is terrible and its base Def isn't that great either. This means that you are going to have to boost up quite a bit to do any damage. You also become setup bait for any steel type. You're much better off just using Hyper Voice and CM if you need to boost.

Hyper
I'm...not sure if you're being serious. Curse Sylveon has already been discussed and its pretty bad. Sylveon's base Atk is terrible and its base Def isn't that great either. This means that you are going to have to boost up quite a bit to do any damage. You also become setup bait for any steel type. You're much better off just using Hyper Voice and CM if you need to boost.
PROS

- Curse actually patches up this mediocre physical bulk
- Return has much more PP than Hyper Voice
- The difference is veeeery little. Don't you trust me? You are better inclined to calcs? Well, then...

0 Atk Pixilate Sylveon Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 121-144 (29.9 - 35.6%) -- 31.7% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 123-145 (30.4 - 35.8%) -- 45.3% chance to 3HKO

- Due to Curse boosting Defense, it is easier to set-up than CMind, and is not as easily Revenge Killed.

CONS

- Hyper Voice hits throught Substitute
- Hyper Voice is not influenced by Intimidate

Also, it is pretty bad having Last Resort as a move on a mono attacking, and even Double-Edge.
Anyways, good luck when it boosted up to +3 or more, because if you have not Landorus, Bisharp, or Excadrill, your are royally screwed.

Last edited:
I'd say little to no: Dark is covered by fairy, and Heatran is already smacked by HP ground, while HP Fire hits ferro & zor
Well, I think he's worried about Bisharp, which is one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame, So maybe a little viability...

+6 252+ Atk Pixilate Sylveon Return vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 119-141 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Good luck getting past the almighty Furfrou
- Furfrou has NO VIABILITY in the OU metagame
- Furfrou can be eliminated by teammates
- Furfrou cannot get past you
- Furfrou has no viable recovery over Rest.
- Non-Cotton Guard Furfrou dies

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Running max defense investment with a Bold nature already lets you counter some Kyruem-B sets and Garchomp, so Curse is pointless.

Running max defense investment with a Bold nature already lets you counter some Kyruem-B sets and Garchomp, so Curse is pointless.
No, that set lets you tank special hits better as well, so it's not entirely pointless, all while setting up. It is very easy to disrupt though. Any phasing move not named dragon tail, red card, toxic, will o wisp, etc... But it can still get into beast mode. Outclassed by Umbreon? Yes. Complete crap? No.

Karxrida

No, that set lets you tank special hits better as well, so it's not entirely pointless, all while setting up. It is very easy to disrupt though. Any phasing move not named dragon tail, red card, toxic, will o wisp, etc... But it can still get into beast mode. Outclassed by Umbreon? Yes. Complete crap? No.
Curse is already shit on Umbreon and takes way too long to set up against offense to be useful. Taunt shuts you down, sweepers will just set up on you, and you're vulnerable to Toxic from other walls. It only works against complete morons.

Curse is already shit on Umbreon and takes way too long to set up against offense to be useful. Taunt shuts you down, sweepers will just set up on you, and you're vulnerable to Toxic from other walls. It only works against complete morons.
It beats Conkeldurr on the switch and has heal bell for utility which also beats taunt and can switch in on about anything. Synchronize also discourages status in the first place. But, this isn't the place to discuss Umbreon so we'll have to take this somewhere else.

Karxrida

It beats Conkeldurr on the switch and has heal bell for utility which also beats taunt and can switch in on about anything. Synchronize also discourages status in the first place. But, this isn't the place to discuss Umbreon so we'll have to take this somewhere else.
I was talking about Sylveon.

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums though not new to competitive battling. What do you think of this Sylveon set? I saw someone using it last week and this is partly a reconstruction based on what I saw and partly what I think is useful. Apologies if this has already been brought up before.

Sylveon @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Hyper Voice
- Draining Kiss
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is basically a more offensively-oriented special defender set compared to the standard Cleric. Hyper Voice is for powerful STAB, Draining Kiss gives you the all-important healing move for Assault Vest users, Psyshock lets Sylveon fight back against Poison-types, and Hidden Fire does the same for Steel-types. Assault Vest lets you reach about 445 Special Defense with only four points of EVs, letting you change your investment and nature over to Special Attack so that Sylveon can hit hard with its usable base 110 SpA. I dislike having defensive Pokemon that can't do much back to the opponent, so this set has been really good to me so far. Let me know what you guys think!

Karxrida

Draining Kiss is weak as balls, you should replace it with Calm Mind.
Replace HP Fire with HP Ground so you can hit Heatran, who completely walls you.
Assault Vest is shit outside of a select few mons like Conkeldurr (who's not as useful as he used to be due to all the Psychic and Flying attacks running around to hit Mega Venusaur). Replace it with Leftovers.

Draining Kiss is weak as balls, you should replace it with Calm Mind.
Replace HP Fire with HP Ground so you can hit Heatran, who completely walls you.
Assault Vest is shit outside of a select few mons like Conkeldurr (who's not as useful as he used to be due to all the Psychic and Flying attacks running around to hit Mega Venusaur). Replace it with Leftovers.
So basically you recommend just using a different set altogether?

Karxrida

Yeah, but I'm looking for basically a special tank, not a boosting attacker
The standard Cleric set already does that, but Clefable does it better thanks to Magic Guard. You should look up the Clefable analysis since I'm pretty sure one of the sets is a special tank that you can easily make in-game (barring Softboiled; you're stuck with Moonlight for in-game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)