Pokémon Sylveon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame. So hyper voice is what 175 bp thanks to pixilate+stab? And this boost applies to refrigerate and aerilate as well? That would mean pinsir has a 202bp flying return. Ridiculous. Also kinda annoying that the 2 best users of moonblast will be ignoring the move while togekiss has to use dazzling gleam. Trollllfreeeaaaaakkkkkk!!!

So what role is Sylveon playing for you guys? Is it more effective as a special attacker or staller/support tank?

I'm loving the Calm Mind/Wish set. Lots of good bulk for surviving threats, and it hits really damn hard after even two calm minds.

I think the only move I'd consider replacing from that set is Calm Mind, because with Protect, at least you can be ensured that you'll heal in a tough spot (unless you get Taunted of course). But I'm sure Calm Mind helps with getting a bit more bulk on the special side, plus smacking things harder from Sylveon's already decent special attack.

I'm really liking Baton Pass in lieu of Protect / Shadow Ball, since it provides switch initiative like VoltTurn -- but also lets something else make use of the boosts as well. It's a decent option I haven't seen mentioned too much. :o

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Calm Mind

I'm not sure whether or not this has been posted earlier or not but I think this has potential of being a really solid Wish Passer/Late-Game Sweeper All in one.

I've been playing around with Sylveon and found a set that I really like.

Sylveon @ Big Root
Ability: Cute Charm
Nature: Calm
248 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 8 Sp. Atk
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Draining Kiss
-Moonblast / Wish / Baton Pass

Big Root paired with Draining Kiss restores 97.5% damage done and gets boosted by Calm Mind. Sylveon also has high enough Sp. Def to set up on most Special Attackers. If you run Moonblast you don't have a lot of coverage, but you can deal some more damage compared to Draining Kiss. Sylveon can also provide excellent Wish support. Baton Pass is also an option since you're setting up Subs and Calm Minds anyway.

I think the only move I'd consider replacing from that set is Calm Mind, because with Protect, at least you can be ensured that you'll heal in a tough spot (unless you get Taunted of course). But I'm sure Calm Mind helps with getting a bit more bulk on the special side, plus smacking things harder from Sylveon's already decent special attack.
When you max out his def and HP he doesn't really hit all that hard without a few calm mind boosts.

I'm really liking Baton Pass in lieu of Protect / Shadow Ball, since it provides switch initiative like VoltTurn -- but also lets something else make use of the boosts as well. It's a decent option I haven't seen mentioned too much. :o
Yeah that has some potential. Honestly, Shadow Ball on Sylveon doesn't hit that hard, and doesn't give much in the way of meaningful coverage (hits steel and poison types neutrally which is... eh...doesn't do much. Could be useful for smacking MegaGengar or something, though)... so that's actually a possibility.

Sylveon is also so slow that wish-passing is a lot easier with baton pass.

What about a rest-talker like this?

Slyveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
Pixelate
252 HP/252 Defense/4 Special Attack
Rest
Sleep Talk
Calm Mind
Moonbeam/Hyper Voice (obviously when Hyper Voice becomes Legal, haha)...

The idea here is to use Slyveon similalry to the old Suicune set as a late-game cleaner/special tank. Obviously you wouldn't want to take a boosted Steel hit or a STAB physical attack on a regular basis, but if you wanted to trap steel-type threats and use the poison immunity that comes with a pokemon like Magnezone, who was born to trap steels, you could do work. This is all theory, but I think it's worth looking at...

For now, cute charm.

Once the bank opens and Hyper Voice Sylveon is legal, then Pixilate will be the superior ability on all builds. Hyper Voice gets boosted to 117 BP (and then gets STAB) and hits around subs. There is no reason to run Moonblast if it has this.
There is, actully. More BP and SpA drops. Also has more PP.

Pixelate also raises the BP of Normal moves it changes to Fairy by 30% making Hyper Voice's BP 117, and that's not counting STAB. The ability to bypass Subs is also a plus.
Hasn't been stated anywhere, post your evidence before making that claim.

Obv I mean the 1.3x boost.

Sylveon is a very bad pokemon in OU, as it will be completely outclassed by Florges. Florges learns everything it has, plus it has more special bulk than Sylveon; It even beats it in the speed department. Pretty much any tier that Florges lands in, Sylveon will not see any use above or in the tier that Florges is in, if that sentence made sense. Anyway, Sylveon is an outclassed pokemon, and that's pretty much it. One thing that Sylveon has is Pixilate, but that's not enough to justify its use. Sylveon also has baton pass + wish, which once again is not good enough for it to see enough use.

Last edited:
We've been talking about this for a little bit on both the Gardevoir and this thread.
Your claimant did not have the info first hand or have any evidence to back it up, henceforth I am claiming it is bullshit until hard numbers are posted with pictures and calcs backing it up.

Sylveon is a very bad pokemon in OU, as it will be completely outclassed by Florges. Florges learns everything it has, plus it has more special bulk than Sylveon; It even beats it in the speed department. Pretty much any tier that Florges lands in, Sylveon will not see any use above or in the tier that Florges is in, if that sentence made sense. Anyway, Sylveon is an outclassed pokemon, and that's pretty much it.
um, not really. Previously mentioned pixelate, shadow ball for coverage, baton pass, higher HP (better wishes). Sylveon has a lot going for it that Florges does not.

Florges is a very bad pokemon in OU, as it will be completely outclassed by Sylveon.
Fixed.

Seriously 'doe, much larger wishes, negligible difference in bulk, a better (if still somewhat limited) movepool, and Pixilate makes it hit everything that much harder with STAB=Pixilate boosted Hyper Voice (once we get access to it >.>). Florges has little to help her compete with Sylveon.

um, not really. Previously mentioned pixelate, shadow ball for coverage, baton pass, higher HP (better wishes). Sylveon has a lot going for it that Florges does not.
Both Florges and Sylveon have bad physical bulk and can be 2hkoed by most physical attacks; therefore I don't think either of them are built for calm mind sets or fully offensive sets. I believe that florges and sylveon should be used solely for wish passing. Also, i just found out about pixilate (because i'm ignorant), and i added a bit more about the ability in my earlier post. Also, sylveon has like 10 more base hp than florges, so there's really no reason to have that as a reason for using it over florges. Shadow ball for coverage is nice, but as i mentioned before, Calm Mind sets get steamrolled by burst damage from powerful physical attackers, so i don;t think they're viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)