1. GET SMOGON SHIRTS HERE! First time ever. Limited time only & next time the design will be different, so get it while you can!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

T.R World

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Ace Trainer, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Ace Trainer

Ace Trainer

[​IMG]

Introduction

Hello Smogon, this is my first RMT on Smogon. I have made a couple of rough drafts of this Trick Room Team on other sites, while they were good they had their flaws, so I decided to send this team to Smogon. I believe after a couple of rates from other sites this team is better than the other teams but it still needs some help. I decided not to do a weather base team, but I made selected Pokemon that work well against opposing weather teams. I have avoid using obvious Trick Room Pokemon like Clamperl, Rhyperior, Ramparous, and Marowak who only function well within Trick Room, but not outside of Trick Room.

[​IMG]

Team Synergy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At A Glance

|_[​IMG]_|_ [​IMG]_|_ [​IMG] _|_ [​IMG]_|_ [​IMG]_|_ [​IMG]_|

[​IMG]

A Closer Look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bronzong @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    252 HP | 88 Atk | 168 SpD
    Sassy Nature [+Attack, -Speed]
    Moveset:

• Stealth Rock - Stealth Rock is here to get some entry hazards up, to make it easier for my sweepers to get some KOs.
    • Explosion - When the game is getting close, and I need a turn to switch into my sweepers, and to maybe take out a Pokemon.
    • Trick Room - Bronzong is the main mid-game setter of Trick Room and has been the most effective setter in ths team overall.
    • Gyro Ball -

Why this Pokemon?:
    Bronzong was picked for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that it's simply a great Trick Room and a surprise sweeper. Bronzong is a staple on every trick room team and for a reason. Bronzong is even more valuable in BW checking most of the sand sweepers , he has excellent bulk and good ability.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
    Blaze
    252 Atk | 4 SpAtk | 252 Spe
    Naive Nature [+Speed, -SpD]
    Moveset:

• Overheat - THis move to hit Pokemon on the special side and gets some nice KOs
    • Close Combact - Close Combat is the main attacking STAB for Infernape. With its huge power it can it do a number on Pokemon who aren't ready.
    • Stone Edge - Stone Edge is added for coverage, and makes a monkey out of Gyarados and the like
    • U-Turn - U-turn allows Infernape to scout and keep momentum on its side and to get himself out of a tough situation.
    Why this Pokemon?:

With its Base 108 Speed and with a Choice Scarf, Infernape makes a good clean up Pokemon. He speed ties Choice Scarf Terrakion, and is out speed by Starmie. This guy is easily my MVP. He forces a lot of switches, and abuses that with U-turn to rack up entry hazard damage and switch to an appriopate for the mon they switched in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dragonite @ Expert Belt
    Multscale
    4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 SpAtk
    Quiet Nature [+SpAttack, -Speed]
    Moveset:

• Draco Meteor- Dragonite's best STAB move, which gets rid of a lot of pokemon except Blissey and Chansey
    • Fire Blast - For those annoying Scizor, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forrestress who want to come in after I use Draco Meteor.
    • Superpower - This is here to hit Steel type, and Rock pokemon who resist my STAB Dragon type moves.
    • Extremespeed - Extreme speed has saved my ass so many times after TR ended b/c of its +2 priority.
    Why this Pokemon?:

Dragonite is my other sweeper and stall breaker on the team. Even though he has a Base 80 Speed he's slow enough to sweep under TR. He has perfect synergy with Metagross as they both coverage each others weakness. With its Multiscale he has nice bulk and he hits like a truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Metagross @ Life Orb
    Clear Body
    240 HP | 252 Atk | 16 Def
    Brave Nature [+Attack, -Speed]
    Moveset:

• Zen Headbutt- With Zen Headbutt as Metagross' other STAB move. It helps so I won't be walled by Rotom-W and to hit fighting types and to maybe get a Flinch for a free turn.
    • Hammer Arm - Hammer Arm is to get those Blisseys and Heatrans hard who think they are safe to switch in.
    • Ice Punch - Ice Punch is to stop Gliscor from trying to stall me, it also hits flying types and Dragons super effectively.
    • Earthquake - Earthquake is to stop Heatran and Magnet Pull Magnezones.
    Why this Pokemon?:
    Having near perfect synergy with Dragonite, they both coverage each others weakness and they have a great coverage between the two. I chose not to give it Meteor Mash b/c of its accuracy, and after calculations Hammer Arm has better coverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rankurusu @ Life Orb
    Magic Guard
    196 HP | 64 Def | 252 SpAtk
    Moveset:
    • Trick Room- Everyone knows why you have Trick Room on Reuniclus, theres nothing else to say but to change up the metagame.
    • Psyshock - Psyshock is to get those Blisseys hard who think they are safe to switch in, and be 2HKOed.
    • Shadow Ball - I originally had Hidden Power Fire here, but since I have Magnezone to get rid of Steel types, I decided to add the standard Shadow Ball, b/c I was being walled by Starmie, Espeon, and other pokemon weak to Ghost type.
    • Focus Blast -I gave him Focus Blast to hit Tyranitar, and Heatran who laugh at his other attacks . Since Focus Blast is so shaky I just have to cross my fingers and hope it hits.
    Why this Pokemon?:

With its Magic Guard ability I won't have to worry about those annoying Stealth Rocks or spikes. This is hear to stop Emboar's Threats and Terrakion and Conkeldurr from KOing my team. Now just from the two moves I have on Rankurusu already gets rid of the many walls that are on many teams and gets surprise KOs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
    Torrent
    252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SpAtk
    Moveset:
    • Hydro Pump- With Choice Specs Hydro Pump becomes a killer mov. Even though the accuracy is shaky its worth the extra power.
    • Ice Beam - Ice Beam is for scouting Gliscor and other pokemon weak to Ice Type, especially Dragons
    • Grass Knot - My only option for hitting Rotom-W and Quasire, but with Choice Specs it can get the 2HKO
    • Hidden Power Fire - Last but not least Hidden Power Fire is for Scizor, Forrestress, Ferrothorn and other steel type Pokemon that want to try and stop Empoleon
    Why this Pokemon?:

With the ever increasing Rain Teams, I needed a Pokemon that resist them and can truly abuse the Rain. I thought about Gastrodon, but I personally like Empoleon. And with Choice Specs it doesn't need to set up to start sweeping.

[​IMG]

Conclusion

I hope you guys will like the team as much as I do. I urge you to try it out and give some great feedback. I was rather hesitant on this RMT because some people think Trick Room isn't considered a competitive as other teams but I wanted to share this to improve this team and to show that Trick Room Teams can be a seen as a competitive gameplay and not a gimmick team. I hope to get a lot improvements to this team fromyou guys and thank you all for reading this RMT!

[​IMG]
  2. Nate Dog

Nate Dog

Nothing too serious, but you list explosion on Bronz as a move to take out a pokemon OR TWO, don't see how you're gonna do that.
  3. Ninjarabian

Ninjarabian

Hello,
    I have a lot of 4th gen experience with Trick Room, and have built my share of teams, and used every member of your team in one or another Trick Room excursion-- They're all solid pokemon. However, I do have a few issues with your team.

First off, I have never been able to have success with fewer than 3 Trick Room users on a full Trick room team. It takes the 3 users (think of them as your "core," it's a FWG core, not a FW or WG core) to be able to have the durability and synergy to switch in and out as often as a Trick Room team demands. Bronzong, Reuniclus, and Porygo2 make a solid core and require the least changes to your team.

Second, Choice items are very, VERY rarely a good choice for Trick Room teams. Intelligent switching is already the bane of Trick Room teams, and having choiced pokemon simply is not very viable when time is such an urgent matter. The exception of this rule CAN come in your late game sweeper, but even then is less than advisable. I have used a Choice Scarfed Haxorus as my late game sweeper to some avail, and he may fit your style well. That would allow him to take the place of Infernape and Porygon 2 to go in the place of Empoleon.

Last, and least, I simply prefer the mixed variation of Metagross of the physical variation for Trick Room. I find that, while Metagross has much, much better bulk, Something like Marowak fits the niche of hitting shit really, really hard from the physical side better than Metagross does in Trick Room environments. With the third Trick Room user on your team, the bulk is still a huge issue but is slightly nullified. Adding the mixed variant to Metagross would make things less likely to wall him, and he learned Grass Knot to help deal with the rain teams floating around if you desire.

Good luck and I applaud you for using Trick Room, the love of my Pokelife.
  4. Ace Trainer

Ace Trainer

I'll try out the Porygon2 over Empoleon, I see what you mean about the core of a Trick Room Team.
    Choice Items aren't that good on Trick Room Team, but I'm mostly spamming Hydro Pump on Empoleon, especially if I run into rain teams, then it becomes deadly.
    I don't like the Mixed Set Metagross, I have Empoleon to use Grass Knot. Thank you for the rate.

Any more suggestions guys
  5. Ace Trainer

Ace Trainer

6. Absolete

Absolete

I second Ninjarabian's suggestion about Porygon 2.

Also, over Metagross have you considered Conkeldurr? He has access to great coverage moves, acceptable bulk, priority, and will hit harder than Metagross. You lose a bit of bulk, but you gain extra power, another priority attack, and the ability to absorb status if you use a Guts set.
  7. lincoln503

lincoln503

I highly suggest removing Over Heat on Infernape and replacing it with
    A reliable Psychical Fire Type Attack Such as Flare Blitz, Otherwise
    you might fall victim to Psychic Type Calm Mind users such Alakazam and Espeon.
    And believe me, U-Turn wont cut it.
  8. Absolete

Absolete

U-turn OHKOs Alakazam 100% of the time, does a good chunk to Espeon, and allows Infernape to get out of harms way for free.

I would keep the mixed abilities on Infernape, as you don't want to be walled on your clean up sweeper.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)