Talonflame

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

BIRD UP
[OVERVIEW]

With blazing Speed and strong attacks along with access to solid support moves, Talonflame makes for a potent attacker that can fit on multiple team styles. Gale Wings is its biggest selling point; with priority to Talonflame's Flying-type moves, its Brave Bird can almost always go first, letting it revenge kill, pick off weakened foes, and check anything needed as the situation calls for it with ease. With priority in its most usable attack, Talonflame can often effectively disregard opposing speed control methods such as Tailwind and Trick Room and perform well against sun and, to an extent, rain; rolewise, Talonflame serves effectively as an "offensive supporter" that applies pressure to foes regardless of field conditions thanks to its strong priority Brave Bird. Talonflame also has access to support moves in Will-O-Wisp and Tailwind, the latter of which is also blessed with priority from Gale Wings, letting Talonflame provide speed control in a pinch.

However, Talonflame's Attack is only average at base 81, which means a healthy foe can easily take a hit and then strike back at its paltry defenses; this is made worse by the prevalence of Intimidate from the likes of Landorus-T and Gyarados, softening Talonflame's blows even more. Talonflame also has its share of bad matchups against common threats, such as Rotom-W, Heatran, and Thundurus. Being frail and relying on recoil moves, Talonflame also has a tendency to get worn down quickly.

[SET]
name: Gale Wings Attacker
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Overheat / Flare Blitz
move 3: Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp / Steel Wing
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Naughty / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is a high-powered STAB move with priority from Gale Wings that hits a good portion of the metagame for decent damage. Overheat covers Steel- and Electric-type foes such as Mega Metagross and Zapdos, and it notably lets Talonflame attack without fearing King's Shield from Aegislash and ignores opposing Intimidate. Flare Blitz is a usable alternative in order to take advantage of the set's Attack investment, guaranteeing OHKOs on some threats such as Mega Metagross, but recoil takes its toll on Talonflame quickly, and Overheat already hits Flare Blitz's targets well enough. Tailwind provides Talonflame and its teammates additional speed control to let them outspeed and score KOs on threats they couldn't otherwise; it also receives priority from Gale Wings, which effectively guarantees its setup, making it useful in a pinch. Will-O-Wisp lets Talonflame cripple opposing physical attackers, dealing chip damage and making them easier to deal with later on. Watch out, though, as even when burned, opposing physical attackers can still do sizable damage to Talonflame due to its frailty. Steel Wing lets Talonflame get a swift KO on Mega Diancie, which walls Talonflame otherwise. Protect lets Talonflame stall out field conditions, shield itself from damage, and give teammates room to work.

Set Details
========

The EV spread boosts Talonflame's offensive potential as much as possible, providing maximum Attack while letting Talonflame outrun opposing base 110 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Metagross and Mega Diancie. A Naughty nature gives it the most damage potential without lowering its Special Attack; there's no reason to run a Speed-boosting in the first place due to Brave Bird already having priority and the lack of any faster targets for Overheat or Flare Blitz. However, Adamant is a better alternative when not using Overheat, as Talonflame doesn't need its Special Attack without Overheat and it doesn't compromise any bulk. Life Orb boosts Talonflame's damage output to higher levels, though it has to watch out because the recoil from Life Orb and its recoil moves can quickly add up. Sharp Beak is a usable alternative in order to still boost Brave Bird while avoiding the recoil from Life Orb. However, this leaves Talonflame's other attacking moves weaker. Gale Wings gives valuable priority to Talonflame's Flying-type moves, Brave Bird and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame fits on offensive teams that appreciate the pressure and damage Talonflame can apply on a decent portion of the metagame; on a more specific note, it's a good pick for rain and Trick Room teams in order to beat opposing bulky Grass-types, especially Amoonguss. Most of the time, Talonflame should be using Brave Bird due to its priority and great coverage; it should use Overheat or Flare Blitz only when needed, such as when the foe resists Brave Bird or is KOed by a super effective Fire-type move. Weakening foes first is appreciated in order for them to be safely picked off later, as Talonflame has trouble OHKOing foes. Talonflame is effective at picking off weakened threats and revenge killing thanks to its strong priority Brave Bird; on that note, Talonflame can be useful late-game because most foes at this stage of the match are damaged or weakened, making them easy to pick off. Be careful when switching Talonflame in, though, as it's really frail and any damage can prove to be fatal due to its reliance on recoil moves and Life Orb.

Use Tailwind when needed to achieve or preserve momentum, as the move lets Talonflame's teammates safely outspeed and KO foes they otherwise couldn't; using Tailwind as a last-ditch effort to maintain momentum when Talonflame can't do much else can also be a good idea depending on the circumstances. If using Will-O-Wisp, it can be useful to cripple an otherwise strong attacker such as Mega Kangaskhan. Talonflame has to watch out, though, as it's still hit decently hard by burned foes due to its frailty. Will-O-Wisp can also useful for weakening foes to the point where they can be picked off later. Because its most commonly used move is Brave Bird, it's important to watch out for Quick Guard. Watch out for King's Shield against Aegislash as well when using Flare Blitz, though with Overheat, Talonflame can play around it with ease.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Landorus-T and Mega Diancie, make for good teammates, as they can efficiently get foes into KO range for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon that can beat Heatran, an obstacle to Talonflame, make for good picks; Keldeo can take it out with its main STAB moves, and Landorus-T can use Earthquake and OHKO it. Similarly, teammates that match up well against Landorus-T and Mega Diancie are appreciated; bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Suicune can easily KO both, and, again, Landorus-T can weaken their attacks with Intimidate while being able to KO the latter. Pokemon that can beat opposing bulky Water-types, such as Amoonguss, Rotom-W, and Breloom, are also good, and the latter is also notable for being great under Talonflame's Tailwind. On that note, strong attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Metagross that appreciate Tailwind make for good partners, as they can take advantage of the Speed advantage fairly well. Having Bisharp as a partner also works, as Defiant takes advantage of any incoming Intimdate users while Talonflame can provide Bisharp a Speed boost with Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Talonflame set sporting a Rocky Helmet and running Quick Guard and Will-O-Wisp can make for a fairly decent Mega Kangaskhan check while still being able to cover threats that the standard set does with Brave Bird. A Choice Band set can be useful in order to boost Talonflame's power even more, but losing the ability to change moves and use Protect is simply not worth the additional damage in most cases. U-turn could be used, with or without Choice Band, in order to maintain momentum. Taunt can stop moves such as Trick Room from being set up, but Talonflame has trouble fitting it onto its moveset. Quick Guard can be useful to block opposing priority moves, most notably Fake Out, but like Taunt, Talonflame has trouble finding room for it, and it is relatively easy to play around. Swords Dance is an option to make Talonflame a very threatening attacker, but Talonflame can't afford to set up and sweep on its own, and the moveslot for Swords Dance is generally much better used on a support move. Safety Goggles lets Talonflame ignore powder moves such as Rage Powder and Spore, letting it switch in safely and match up better against Amoonguss.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Electric-types such as Rotom-W and Thundurus can easily take an incoming Brave Bird and hit back with their own STAB moves. Bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W, Suicune, and Gyarados can easily take a hit and KO Talonflame with a STAB move. Heatran can easily take any attack Talonflame can use against it and set up Substitute or deal damage with Heat Wave. Mega Diancie can take Talonflame's STAB moves and KO it with Diamond Storm, though it has to be wary of Steel Wing. In general, foes that can stomach a hit and strike back, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T, pose a threat to Talonflame, as they can then hit it hard through its paltry defenses.

**Intimidate**: Intimidate softens Talonflame's blows to underwhelming levels, which isn't really good for it because its Attack stat is already low in the first place. Watch out for Gyarados and Landorus-T, especially the latter's bulky variant, which can take Talonflame's Brave Bird well.

**Utility Moves**: Fake Out can stop Talonflame in its tracks, as it outprioritizes Brave Bird. In particular, it doesn't want to take a Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan, as it's really strong. Talonflame also has to watch out for Quick Guard, which can repeatedly block its priority Brave Bird; Keldeo and Terrakion are both well-known users of the move.

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview:
  • Mention fast Taunt when you mention Tailwind and WoW
  • Loses to common things like Heatran and Rotom-W
  • Tookie Tookie
Set:
  • Maybe slash Taunt? Is a nice option and is one of the fastest non priority Taunt users. Other QC please give thoughts
Moves:
  • Mention Flare Blitz has a chance to burn
Usage Tips:
  • Beware King's Shield
Checks and Counters:
  • Lando is a problem with intim but bulky Lando is gaining popularity and it takes far less from Brave Bird and can freely switch in a few times
Good skeleton, 1/3 once this is in.

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I reckon Overheat deserves a slash alongside Flare Blitz with a Naughty nature and 4 SpA EVs. It overall deals less damage than Flare Blitz, and you have a decreased OHKO chance on Aegislash (you lose your chance to OHKO from 31.3% with Fblitz), Jirachi (68.8% to zero) MegaGross (75% to 18.8%); however, you should be using Talonflame late-game when these Steel-types will have been weakened already, and beating Steel-types isn't Talonflame's main job (there are better picks than Talonflame for beating Steel-types). The big benefits are that it deals far less self-recoil to yourself, which can be handy if you want to finish off a Pokemon without KOing yourself, and not caring about Intimidate. The -SpA drop doesn't really matter, as Talonflame often only uses its Fire-type attack once per battle at most. You also can't get screwed over by King's Shield and Iron Barbs.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Overview:
  • Mention fast Taunt when you mention Tailwind and WoW
  • Loses to common things like Heatran and Rotom-W
  • Tookie Tookie
Set:
  • Maybe slash Taunt? Is a nice option and is one of the fastest non priority Taunt users. Other QC please give thoughts
Moves:
  • Mention Flare Blitz has a chance to burn
Usage Tips:
  • Beware King's Shield
Checks and Counters:
  • Lando is a problem with intim but bulky Lando is gaining popularity and it takes far less from Brave Bird and can freely switch in a few times
Good skeleton, 1/3 once this is in.
Did except for Taunt slash and overview mention. Taunt isn't really a good of a move on Talon because on most things it'd want to Taunt it can just attack anyway except Cress which you can burn + it can't really afford to use play Taunt consistently with its frailness as it doesn't have the long-term advantages of Tailwind or Will-o. I'd want other qc input on this one.

Darkmalice While in a way I kinda agree with you, I don't think it's as good bc damage output with Flare Blitz. I'm gonna wait for other qc to chime in with their thoughts

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, a few things about Talonflame.

The old speed is still the right speed UNLESS you are running Steel Wing. I cannot support a main set with 252 speed and no Steel Wing. So: Slash steel wing. Pick an EV spread to list on the set itself. Then in Set Comments say if (not) using Steel Wing use (ev spread) instead because (something about Mega Diancie). The alternative is just to fully promote 252 Speed because it can outrun Mega Metagross as well. But in either case Steel Wing needs to be there.

Second, I tend to prefer Overheat to Flare Blitz, as Talonflame has a habit of dying exceptionally quickly and Overheat hits most everything Flare Blitz would without killing itself too. It also doesn't mind King's Shield.

Finally, I'd like an OO mention of a bulkier talonflame with Rocky Helmet, Wisp, and Quick Guard. It's a pretty surprising Kanga check and Brave Bird still helps against a lot of things you'd like checked like Venusaur Skymin and Keldeo even without much attack investment/LO boosting.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd at least slash Sharp Beak with Life Orb. It provides Talonflame's main STAB a respectable 20% boost without the nasty recoil of LO. Doesn't boost Flare Blitz / Overheat, but Talonflame is mostly spamming Brave Bird anyways.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Memoric
Do the things in my and Pocket's posts (slash Overheat with Flare Blitz, slash Steel Wing in moveslot 3, at the very least put Sharp Beak in set comments or maybe as a slash on the set as well, add the OO of a rocky helmet bulkier set like I mentioned) and that'll be 2/3

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
omfg im so sorry

I literally forgot I was doing this + was really overloaded with school. As I'm posting this I also have a really nasty headache. I'll do it tomorrow or the day after I promise!!!

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
for will-o-wisp, I wouldn't say Kangaskhan and Lando-t easily takes its attacks as neither can actually switch-in on it particularly well (bird 2hkos kang and even at -1, has a 37% chance to 2hko lando-t, just write that will o can be used to slow down physical attackers for talonflame + teammates to deal with easier or something along those lines. IS YO WURL SQUIRL.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
psa: i invented overheat talon, every other set pales in comparison

In Moves, it looks like you're downplaying Flare Blitz too much. Personally, I would slash it first, but just keep it as it is right now I guess. Overheat misses out on the guaranteed OHKO on Mega Metagross, which is pretty big. You also aren't mentioning most of Overheat's main advantages in Moves, either. The great thing about Overheat is that you can fearlessly attack Aegislash without having to risk the Attack drop of King's Shield. Furthermore, you aren't useless in the face of Intimidate users and you don't have to sacrifice Talonflame in order to kill Ferrothorn.

When it comes to your set, I feel like you should have Naughty instead of Lonely. FYI Lonely lowers your Defense while Naughty lowers SpDef. This is important because, with lowered Defense, Talonflame isn't able to stand its ground against other priority users. For example, when using a non -def nature, it potentially avoids the 2HKO from Deoxys-A's Extremespeed and has a chance to survive an opposing Talonflame's Brave Bird.
not lonely:
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 270-320 (90.9 - 107.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Deoxys-A Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 128-151 (43 - 50.8%) -- 3.1% chance to 2HKO

tfw no gf:
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Talonflame: 300-355 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Deoxys-A Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Talonflame: 142-168 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO

It's a small thing, but there's really no reason to be using Lonely tbh. It's not like Talonflame is tanking any Special moves anyway soo

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
ill do this on Sunday i promise! if i don't feel, free to reassign this because i really feel bad for not being able to do this sooner, sorry :[

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
good memes.

prolly just give a mention of SD in oo, mention that the bird is a decent option on both rain and tr as a way to beat bulky grasses and just hit shit hard in general and viola you should be hood for 3/3

sorry for shit format blame mobile

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
yeah lgi
ok whoops i fell asleep .__. will finish this as soon as i'm back from school
ok here we are :]

remove add (Capitalize / Fix) (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

With blazing Speed and strong attacks, along with access to solid support moves, Talonflame makes for a potent attacker that can fit on multiple team styles. Gale Wings is its biggest selling point; with Gale Wings providing priority to Talonflame's Flying-type moves, its Brave Bird can almost always let it go first, letting it revenge kill, pick off weakened foes for KOs, and check anything needed as the situation calls for it with ease. With priority in its most usable attack, Talonflame can often effectively disregard opposing speed control such as Tailwind and Trick Room (RC) and perform well against sun and, to an extent, rain; Talonflame, rolewise, Talonflame serves effectively as an "offensive supporter" that applies pressure to foes regardless of situation with Speed Control (this sounds kinda really bad, so I want to change it to "field conditions," which imo should convey your point fine but is less specific so if you prefer to reword it differently go ahead) thanks to its strong priority Brave Bird. Talonflame also has access to support moves in Will-O-Wisp and Tailwind, the latter of which is also blessed with priority from Gale Wings, (AC) which lets letting Talonflame provide speed control in a pinch.

However, Talonflame's Attack is only average at base 81, which means a healthy foes foe can easily take a hit and then strike back at its paltry defenses; this is also made worse by the prevalence of Intimidate from the likes of Landorus-T and Gyarados, softening Talonflame's blows even more. Talonflame also has its share of bad matchups against common threats, such as Rotom-W, Heatran, and Thundurus. Being frail and having a reliance relying heavily on recoil moves, Talonflame also has a tendency to get worn out down quickly.

[SET]
name: Gale Wings Attacker
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Overheat / Flare Blitz
move 3: Tailwind / Will-O-Wisp / Steel Wing
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Sharp Beak
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Naughty / Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is a high-powered STAB move with priority from Gale Wings that hits a good portion of the metagame for decent damage. Overheat is a secondary STAB move that covers opposing Steel- and Electric-type foes such as Mega Metagross and Zapdos, (AC) Overheat also and it notably lets Talonflame attack without fearing King's Shield from Aegislash and effectively ignores opposing Intimidate. Flare Blitz is a usable alternative in order to take advantage of the Attack EV investment, guaranteeing OHKOs on some threats such as Mega Metagross, but recoil would take its toll on Talonflame quickly and Overheat already hits Flare Blitz's targets. Tailwind provides Talonflame and its teammates with additional speed control to let them outspeed and score KOs on threats they couldn't otherwise; it is also given receives priority by from Gale Wings, which effectively guarantees its set-up setup, making it useful in a pinch. Will-O-Wisp lets Talonflame cripple opposing physical attackers, dealing chip damage and making them easier to deal with later on. Watch out, (AC) though, as even while Burned when burned, opposing physical attackers can still do sizable damage to Talonflame since it is very frail due to its frailty. Steel Wing lets Talonflame get a swift KO on Mega Diancie, which walls Talonflame otherwise. Protect is a staple move, letting Talonflame stall out field conditions, shield itself from damage, and give teammates room to work.

Set Details
========

The EV spread maximizesboosts Talonflame's (or just "maximizes," but maximizing is by default as much as possible) offensive potential as much as possible, providing maximum Attack while letting Talonflame outrun opposing base 110 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Metagross and Mega Diancie. Naughty gives it the most damage potential without lowering its Special Attack; there's no reason to run Jolly a Speed-boosting nature in the first place due to Brave Bird already having priority and the lack of any faster targets for Overheat or Flare Blitz. However, Adamant is a better alternative when not using Overheat, (AC) as Talonflame doesn't need its Special attack anymore (RC) and it doesn't compromise any bulk. Life Orb boosts damage output to higher levels, though Talonflame has to watch out as because the recoil from Life Orb and its recoil moves can quickly add up. Sharp Beak is a usable alternative in order to still boost Brave Bird while avoiding the recoil of from Life Orb. However, this makes leaves (don't like "makes" here cause it kinda sounds like it's actively weakening them) Talonflame's other attacking moves weaker. Gale Wings gives valuable priority to Talonflame's Flying-type moves, Brave Bird and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame fits on offensive teams that appreciate the pressure and damage Talonflame can apply on a decent portion of the metagame; on a more specific note, it's a good pick for rain and Trick Room teams in order to beat opposing bulky Grass-types, especially Amoonguss. Most of the time, Talonflame should be using Brave Bird due to its priority and great coverage; it should use Overhear Overheat or Flare Blitz only when needed, (AC) such as in cases where when the foe resists Brave Bird is resisted or the used or is KOed by a super effective Fire-type move hits super-effectively to get the KO. The Weakening of foes first is appreciated in order for them to be safely picked off later, as Talonflame can't do much KOs on its own. (vague; do you mean "has trouble OHKOing foes?") Talonflame is effective for picking off weakened threats and revenge killing thanks to its strong priority Brave Bird; on that note, Talonflame can be useful late-game as because most foes at this stage of the match are damaged or weakened, making them easy pickings to pick off. Be careful when switching in Talonflame in, (AC) though, (AC) as it's really frail and and any damage can prove to be fatal due to its reliance on recoil moves and Life Orb making every point of HP count.

Use Tailwind when needed to achieve or preserve momentum, as the move lets Talonflame's teammates outspeed and get KOs on KO foes they otherwise couldn't safely; using Tailwind as a last-ditch effort to maintain momentum when Talonflame can't do much else can also be a good idea depending on the circumstances. If using Will-O-Wisp, it can be useful to cripple an otherwise strong attacker such as Mega Kangaskhan. Talonflame has to watch out, (AC) though, (AC) as it's still hit decently hard by burned foes due to its frailty. Will-O-Wisp can also useful for weakening foes to the point where they can be picked off later. Since for Because the most often used move is Brave Bird, it's important to watch out for Quick Guard. Watch out for King's Shield against Aegislash as well when using Flare Blitz, though with Overheat, (AC) Talonflame can easily play around it with ease.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Landorus-T and Mega Diancie, make for good teammates, (AC) as they can efficiently get foes into KO range for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon that can beat Heatran, an obstacle to Talonflame, make for good picks; Keldeo can take it out with its main STAB moves, (AC) and Landorus-T can use Earthquake and OHKO it. Similarly, teammates that match up well against Landorus-T and Mega Diancie are appreciated; bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W and Suicune can easily KO both, and, (AC) again, (AC) Landorus-T can weaken both of their attacks with Intimidate while being able to KO the latter. Pokemon that can beat opposing bulky Water-types, such as Amoonguss, Rotom-W, and Breloom, are also good, and the latter is also notable for being great under Talonflame's Tailwind which Talonflame can bring. On that note, strong attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Metagross that appreciate Tailwind make for good partners, (AC) as they can take advantage of the Speed advantage fairly well. Having Bisharp as a partner also works, as Defiant takes advantage of any incoming Intimdate while Talonflame can provide Bisharp a Speed boost with Tailwind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Talonflame set sporting a Rocky Helmet and with running (wording consistency) the moves Quick Guard and Will-O-Wisp can make for a fairly decent Mega Kangaskhan check while still being able to cover threats the standard set does with Brave Bird. A Choice Band set could be useful in order to boost its Talonflame's attacking power even more, but losing the ability to change moves and use Protect is simply not worth the additional damage in most cases. U-turn could be used, with or without Choice Band, in order to maintain momentum. Taunt can stop opposing setup such as when against moves such as (feel free to replace "moves" with something more precise) Trick Room from being set up, but it Talonflame has trouble fitting in on its moveset. Quick Guard can be useful to block opposing priority moves, most notably Fake Out, but like Taunt, (AC) it Talonflame has trouble being fit in finding room for it while also being and it is relatively easy to play around. Swords Dance is an option to make Talonflame a very threatening attacker on the field, but Talonflame can't afford to set-up sweep ("set up" or "set up and sweep" or plain "sweep", pick one, dunno which one best conveys what you want to get across) on its own, (AC) and the moveslot for Swords Dance is generally much better used on a support move.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Electric-types (RC) such as Rotom-W and Thundurus (RC) can easily take an incoming Brave Bird and hit back with their own STAB moves. Bulky Water-types such as the already mentioned (way too close in the text for this to be appropriate) Rotom-W, Suicune, and Gyarados can easily take a hit and KO Talonflame with a STAB move. Heatran can easily take any attack Talonflame can do to use against it and just set up a Substitute or deal damage with Heat Wave. Mega Diancie can take Talonflame's STAB moves and KO with Diamond Storm, (AC) though it has to be wary of Steel Wing. In general, foes that can stomach a hit and strike back, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Landorus-T, pose a threat to Talonflame, (AC) as they can then hit it hard through its paltry defenses.

**Intimidate**: Intimidate softens Talonflame's blows to underwhelming levels, which isn't really good for it since because its Attack stat is already low in the first place. Watch out for Gyarados and Landorus-T, especially the latter's bulky variant, (AC) which can take Talonflame's Brave Bird well.

**Utility Moves**: Fake Out can stop Talonflame in its tracks, (AC) as it outprioritizes Brave Bird. In particular, it doesn't want to take a Fake Out from Mega Kangaskhan, (AC) as it's really strong. Talonflame also has to watch out for Quick Guard, which can repeatedly block its priority Brave Bird; Keldeo and Terrakion are both known users of the move.

Last edited:
Hi, idk if it's too late for this but Safety Goggles should definitely get a mention in OO at least, dodging stuff like Spore as well as sand and hail damage is pretty nice.

shaian

you love to see it
yeah, i agree goggles should be in oo mainly for powder reasons. memes i trust you to know what to write.

ps add the gp check while you're at it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)