Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP 252 Atk 6 Speed
Adamant Nature
-SD
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Flare Blitz

This set is a great mid/late-game cleaner. It actually becomes dangerous from the moment all its counters/checks have been removed or at least weakened (about 25-35% HP) and preferably with the rocks set. The first thing that might seem weird is the non-max speed. I have reliable paralysis support in my team (provided by chansey) that can take a hit ffrom the likes of mega pinsir (even close combat if its unboosted) and talonflame, paralyze, and then switch to a bulky mon. If you can reliably paralyze them, speed EVs aren't a concern. Then it's easy: come in to scare off something, SD, sweep. What I like the most about this set is that, unlike the choice band or a 252 atk 252 speed SD set is that it can actually take a hit or two (dont let it take SE unless its fromm the likes of tentacool), and extreme speed wont OHKO unless its boosted or a crit.
Basically a Bulky SD

Last edited:
Is anyone else thinking about what would happen if Talonflame got Air Slash or Hurricane from a move tutor in the new Ruby and Sapphire remakes? It would make a special set viable, although the only benefit would be more survivability since it would have to sacrifice some power or accuracy. Would it really hit anything better with a special set, though? Without a Nasty Plot or something it would probably need a choice item or maybe some other purpose than super sweeper to be of use. Regardless it would be kind of cool.

I think at best it would be Talonflame running the moves on a mixed set, as a lure, etc. Because of the boosting moves, I think Talonflame would still primarily be physical, but run a special move when confronted with a physical tank, sort of like Tyranitar running Ice Beam or Fire Blast for SE coverage on some Physical mons.

With that said, Talonflame's still lacking in power, so unless it gets Nasty Plot, I don't see Special moves getting much use.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically, Talonflame's offensive stat is so weak it can't be sufficiently threatening without EVERY ounce of strength we can put into it-- which is why they're all Adamant with Brave Bird and a boosting item. Going mixed is totally impossible. I'd say a special set with Hurricane would be interesting, but the accuracy is a major problem-- and this isn't Moltres; it's Fire Blast isn't strong enough to wreck Steel-types even under Rain, so you got to choose between a very risky Hurricane, or completely crap coverage. Air Slash would be way too weak to be really effective, even with Modest and Choice Specs.

Basically, Talonflame's offensive stat is so weak it can't be sufficiently threatening without EVERY ounce of strength we can put into it-- which is why they're all Adamant with Brave Bird and a boosting item. Going mixed is totally impossible. I'd say a special set with Hurricane would be interesting, but the accuracy is a major problem-- and this isn't Moltres; it's Fire Blast isn't strong enough to wreck Steel-types even under Rain, so you got to choose between a very risky Hurricane, or completely crap coverage. Air Slash would be way too weak to be really effective, even with Modest and Choice Specs.
Small nitpick but Talonflame doesn't even learn Hurricane or Air Slash making special Talonflame even worse as it would have to rely on HP Flying as special Flying type STAB.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Small nitpick but Talonflame doesn't even learn Hurricane or Air Slash making special Talonflame even worse as it would have to rely on HP Flying as special Flying type STAB.
Read the discussion... while we should keep the hypotheticals to a minimum, we were briefly hypothesizing the potential of a special set if Talonflame got special Flying STAB moves from the upcoming releases.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
I have a Shiny Flawless Talonflame in my xy cartridge, but I have a question. What should move should I have in my fourth slot?

TamaHawk (Talonflame) Choice Band
EVs: 27 HP / 252 Atk / 225 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Roost (Need one more attacking move)

I
I have a Shiny Flawless Talonflame in my xy cartridge, but I have a question. What should move should I have in my fourth slot?

TamaHawk (Talonflame) Choice Band
EVs: 27 HP / 252 Atk / 225 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- U-Turn
- Roost (Need one more attacking move)
I like tailwind, it is a great last ditch move to allow one pokemon on your team three turns to sweep if you know you will be killed

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Outside of Tailwind, the only other attack Talonflame really has is Steel Wing, which can get a super effective hit on Rock-types. I mean, it's not ideal since U-turn is also super effective against TTar, Brave Bird hits Terrakion much harder, U-Turn and Steel Wing both hit Kabutops for neutral damage. Mmm, it can do more damage against Aerodactyle and Rhyperior... Basically, Steel Wing is better than nothing, but don't expect a whole lot from it either.

Facade is usually a great filler move for any CB mon that can fit it in, but Talonflame is immune to burn, and STAB Brave Bird will do more damage against most targets even when poisoned (Flying and Normal are pretty similar coverage...).

Basically, choose between the near-useless Steel Wing or a gimmick Flying support move (Tailwind is better than Roost almost all the time).

I could possibly see it being of use on a support set with Will-O-Wisp, Tailwind, and/or Roost. Two of those definitely, three if you don't need coverage. A lot of top OU Pokes that are already weak to its STABs have a weaker special defense, so it could be easier to net KO's against them. I guess time will tell, though. It could as easily end up like physical Greninja.

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
I've Seen support sets of Talonflame before on Battlespot. Top 2 Items are Rocky Helmet and Leftovers.
With Wil'O'Wisp, Tailwind, Brave bird and Roost.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've been using a SD set with great success, here it is:

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
EVs: 252 HP 252 Atk 6 Speed
Adamant Nature
-SD
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Flare Blitz

This set is a great mid/late-game cleaner. It actually becomes dangerous from the moment all its counters/checks have been removed or at least weakened (about 25-35% HP) and preferably with the rocks set. The first thing that might seem weird is the non-max speed. I have reliable paralysis support in my team (provided by chansey) that can take a hit ffrom the likes of mega pinsir (even close combat if its unboosted) and talonflame, paralyze, and then switch to a bulky mon. If you can reliably paralyze them, speed EVs aren't a concern. Then it's easy: come in to scare off something, SD, sweep. What I like the most about this set is that, unlike the choice band or a 252 atk 252 speed SD set is that it can actually take a hit or two (dont let it take SE unless its fromm the likes of tentacool), and extreme speed wont OHKO unless its boosted or a crit.
Basically a Bulky SD
Ah I love SD Sharp Beak (same as sky plate but sounds cooler). Generally though I run Jolly with enough speed to out run Thundurus since at +2 after Stealth Rock damage I can knock them out with Brave Bird before they try to Thunder Wave me.

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Hits 354 speed so outspeeds Thundurus by 1 point and gives you some nice added bulk.

Should I be using Overheat over Flare Blitz on my Talonflame for threats like Skarmory, Forretress or Ferrothorn? Right now I'm using this set.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Should I be using Overheat over Flare Blitz on my Talonflame for threats like Skarmory, Forretress or Ferrothorn? Right now I'm using this set.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Flare Blitz is already a 2HKO on Skarm. While Overheat does much more damage to it than Flare Blitz, it doesn't get the OHKO, so you'll be using it twice anyway. For Ferrothorn, Flare Blitz is good enough. Overheat won't OHKO specially defensive Ferro, whereas Flare Blitz can OHKO even physically defensive Ferro. For Forretress there are no downsides at all to just using Flare Blitz. Roost therefore is much better and more useful than Overheat, and it even lets you recover off recoil and iron barbs damage when necessary. (And definitely don't ever get rid of Flare Blitz for Overheat)

Deleted User 220884

Banned deucer.
I can only see Overheat being used on a Life Orb Set. Overheat, can probably kill Skarmory/Ferrothorn faster if you want no Rocky Helm/Iron Barb+Recoil Damage coming your way.
I guess you can run a set like this:

Talonflame @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Sp.Atk / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Naughty Nature
- Overheat
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost/Tailwind/U-Turn/Other Moves

You can choose if you want to run Both Overheat or Flare Blitz. Adamant can be used, but naughty could be used if you don't want your sp.atk decreased.

This calculations are using naughty nature:
4 SpA Life Orb Talonflame Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 504-598 (143.1 - 169.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Life Orb Talonflame Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 382-452 (114.3 - 135.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Skarmory is a 2 Hit KO, because of sturdy, and some ferrothorns run Sp.defence ev's, so might possibly be living one.

Steel wing may be a smart option to consider solely on the choice band set due to the release of diancie. Diancies that I've seen have been used as checks/counters to Xzard and Talonflame, and the CB set's 4th move is normally filler as well as boasts the most initial power.

Steel wing may be a smart option to consider solely on the choice band set due to the release of diancie. Diancies that I've seen have been used as checks/counters to Xzard and Talonflame, and the CB set's 4th move is normally filler as well as boasts the most initial power.
EDIT: Sorry, just noticed you said "solely on the choice band set." So most of my post is irrelevant =p

I'd advise against bothering with Steel Wing outside of CB, as even with just a LO it's not an OHKO on 252 HP Diancie:

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Steel Wing vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Diancie: 229-270 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Without SR support, even with choice band the OHKO's a big stretch, though you're right that it doesn't really have anything better to do with that fourth slot.

I'd honestly rather run Roost + U-turn (or Swords Dance) on non-CB Talonflame, than either Steel Wing or Overheat.

Either way you're better off with u-turn and tailwind in almost every situation. Why bother using steel wing and giving keldeo a free switch in when you can u turn out into an appropriate check or counter. Tailwind is a better option, providing valuable support to your team especially in the late game, giving slower harder hitting threats a way to sweep.

It's really a matter of keeping momentum on your side... U-turn and Tailwind are both methods of gaining momentum for team, while all Steel Wing will do is lose your team a lot of momentum. Even if you do manage to beat said Rock-types, Steel Wing is a a weak, nonSTAB move and and pretty much gives your opponent a free turn after you take down Diancie or whatever. To be frank, I don't see a ton of reason for it when U-turn hits Ttar for the same damage and doesn't lose you a ton of momentum.

I have a set to propose for talonflame (I just checked the curent sets and saw it wasn't here, I just didn't feel like reading the 36 pages, so sorry if it has already been posted.):

Talonflame
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Why this set: the 248 Hp Evs allows for greater general bulk, and even if talonflame isn't bulky, they still makes him reasonnably resilient and allows him to take hits that would have killed a normal talonflame (252 atk/spe), and so allows easier SD setup. Acrobatics neglect brave bird recoil, and roost can be used as a suicide move. I putted no Evs in speed, because either you have priority, or for SD, speed doesn't matter. No item are held to allow Acrobatics to work at full power and also make talonflame a great knock off counter. I didn't took flare blitz because it is only usefull against ferro and eventualy scizor (even if the last one is basically a setup foder for this talonflame), doesn't help against talonflame natural predators (rotom-W, tyranitar, heatran...) and is speed dependant. Nature is obviously adamant. I putted the last 8 Evs (8 because of uneven health) in SpD, but they can be putted pretty much anywhere.

This talonflame works as either a RK or as a setup sweeper. Once at +4, you basically OHKO anything that isn't a not very effective physical wall, you have priority both on attack and heal and most of all, there is no recoil damage.
Its advantages are the following: even if he doesn't have the sheer direct power of the choice band, it can actually get stronger, and most of all is much more durable because of one, more hp, two, more flexibility, three: access to healing. For the sword danser, I believe this set is more reliable because it allows much easier setup and is largely more durable (no recoil, more hp). As for the bulk up version, you can replace SD for bulk up, tailwind for Taunt/Sub and no recoil is imo better than lefties regen (30% recoil takes 5 turn to heal for exemple, and if talon start sweeping, it probably won't last 5 turns).

I hope this set haven't already been discussed and that it might make it as a permaset!

Thx for reading

PS: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-164160526
(the set being put into good use, it's basically an -I hope- improved sword dance set)

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been suggested before (I don't really want to go through 35 pages!) but has anyone ever used a Shuca Berry Natural Gift Talonflame simply for Heatran?

Talonflame @ Shuca Berry
Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / Enough speed to outrun Heatran / Rest in HP
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Natural Gift

I mean I haven't tested it, but I've always liked the idea of Natural Gift... (Wacan Berry Scizor for Gyara anyone :P)

Maybe it's terrible, but maybe it's good? I will probably hate myself if it becomes a thing though, as I hate Talonflame on a good day!

I don't know if this has been suggested before (I don't really want to go through 35 pages!) but has anyone ever used a Shuca Berry Natural Gift Talonflame simply for Heatran?

Talonflame @ Shuca Berry
Gale Wings
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / Enough speed to outrun Heatran / Rest in HP
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-Roost
-Natural Gift

I mean I haven't tested it, but I've always liked the idea of Natural Gift... (Wacan Berry Scizor for Gyara anyone :P)

Maybe it's terrible, but maybe it's good? I will probably hate myself if it becomes a thing though, as I hate Talonflame on a good day!
I've seen it done before. It works fine if they don't predict it. I'd assume you would be able to get away with it easily in lower ladder matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)