Talonflame

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Talonflame doesn't have to be weak to priority. This Isn't singles lol. If you are running a lead that is prone to suffer taunt, or playing against statuses. Quick Guard is a great option against those common factors that yousee on showdown, and online when the bank opens. But just because talon isn't a target for priority does not make him a bad quickguard
The factor of him being fast allows him to respond faster. After thunderous fails to taunt dusclops, you can U-Turn off of it faster than he can hit talon with thunder.
I never said talonflame was a bad quickguard user, I just said that Talonflame isn't the best user of Quick Guard – you'll undoubtedly find more use of the move on the mons I mentioned than on Talonflame, since they lure in priority. I even said nice idea, you don't have to come back with a "this isn't singles" as if you are defending your mon. I just mentioned that I doubt it would be that great of a utility move on Talonflame specifically, and I definitely would like using Terrakion or Keldeo as an offensive Quick Guard supporter.

I never said talonflame was a bad quickguard user, I just said that Talonflame isn't the best user of Quick Guard – you'll undoubtedly find more use of the move on the mons I mentioned than on Talonflame, since they lure in priority. I even said nice idea, you don't have to come back with a "this isn't singles" as if you are defending your mon. I just mentioned that I doubt it would be that great of a utility move on Talonflame specifically, and I definitely would like using Terrakion or Keldeo as an offensive Quick Guard supporter.
As I said though, Talonflame doesn't have to be a target. Paired up with gastrodon, dusclops, togekiss, trevenent, ect. Talonflame with Quickguard is mainly on the team to possibly lead with. If I see a prankster statuses lead, by god, get in there Talonflame.
The reason Talonflame's speed matters, as I said, can respond before the opponent can get rid of it. Put in mind the typical statuses teams that plagued vgc for a bit. As soon as quick guard comes up, Talonflame is a target. And he will die by a thunder, or anything that can land a special effective move on him.
Talonflame isn't really great. Priority BB is good, however in a game where he is 2HKO from nuteral damage by most of the hitters, Bird will go down fast. On average, bird will last to get a kill in. That is unless if you have him in there as a clean up. If hes BB pokes who already have a chunk missing from their HP, burd rapes. Hence the reason why in my opinion why LO helps more. Hence the reason why I am using a utility move. If he wasn't so frail, or heven had an average attack (is base still isn't high enough)
Off topic. But yea. In doubles, Talon does not have to be a target at all. If your not running a band, then qg is a great option. U-Turning off of a prankster can lead to the partner (wheather they set up TR, Gravity, ect or just hit with statuses last turn) hit to finish it off. U-Turn is really the reason why I am enjoying it on him.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Quick Guard is good on anything, really. You can slap Quick Guard on Keldeo, Terrakion, Scrafty, Hitmontop, Meowstic, and Talonflame, and they will get the job done of protecting the partner and itself from Prankster abuse and priority moves. No, you don't need to be prone to priority like Terrakion to be an effective Quick Guard user. Pokemon like Terrakion appreciates Quick Guard support, so it can launch hard hits with abandon.

Speed of Quick Guard user is only relevant when you're trying to block slower Fake Outs, since those two moves share the same priority. Quick Guard users dont need to be super-fast like Talonflame to block Fake Out (with the exception of blocking Fake Out from Weavile, but now Talonflame needs to go Jolly). fireblade16 mentions how fast U-turn helps Talonflame out, but that's really insignificant when it comes to providing Quick Guard support. In fact, I would argue that having useful bulk and/or resistances is more important so you can bring out your Quick Guard user reliably to support its partner. Talonflame comes short in this department. Still, Quick Guard is one of the many other nifty utility moves that Talonflame learns, and it's certainly not a wasted moveslot if the bird is not running CB.

I hope that clears both argument, so let's stop with the quote war, thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)