Tangela [DONE]

[Overview]

<p>Tangela is a good defensive Pokemon in NU, with Eviolite to bolster its already good defenses, a high Defense stat allowing it to wall most threats, and Regenerator to make up for its lack of Leftovers recovery. A decorated support movepool including Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Knock Off, and Synthesis allows it to do more than just sit around and tank hits. Tangela also has good Special Attack and access to Sleep Powder, both of which keep it from becoming setup fodder and allow it to run a more offensive set; Sleep Powder also means that threats that would otherwise switch in for free, such as Mandibuzz, can be incapacitated, after which Tangela can switch to an appropriate teammate. However, Tangela's typing tends to hold it back a bit; having weaknesses to common Fire- and Flying-type attacks is a huge downfall and force it to rely on its bulk alone to take on a good number of attackers. Tangela's poor special bulk is a huge problem for it, meaning that most powerful special attackers can destroy it, severely limiting its walling potential. Meanwhile, its good movepool still misses out on some great support moves, such as Will-O-Wisp, Heal Bell, Taunt, and Baton Pass, making Misdreavus and Musharna better alternatives for many teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Leech Seed / Synthesis
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Hidden Power Rock / Stun Spore
item: Eviolite
ability: Regenerator
evs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Tangela's great physical bulk lets it take on a large number of physically oriented threats such as Kangaskhan and Torterra with ease. Giga Drain is easily Tangela's most important move and provides a strong, consistent STAB move and lets it regain lost health. Leech Seed is the primary option for the second slot and provides Tangela with a form of passive damage, which is especially important against bulkier foes. However, Synthesis is an option as it provides reliable recovery and lets Tangela check physical attackers more consistently while staying in. Sleep Powder lets Tangela incapacitate switch-ins that would otherwise force Tangela out, such as Mandibuzz and Braviary. Hidden Power Rock lets Tangela hit irritating Flying- and Fire-types such as Swellow, Braviary, and Charizard hard, but Stun Spore is a viable option as well and gives Tangela a secondary way to cripple opponents after Sleep Clause has been activated.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread maximizes Tangela's physical bulk while the Special Defense investment allows it to survive Life Orb Ludicolo's Ice Beam after Stealth Rock. More investment in Speed is viable to let Tangela outspeed Alomomola and Golurk, but the defensive investment is invaluable for it, making said Speed investment not worth it most of the time. Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire are viable options for a Hidden Power type, but Hidden Power Rock generally has better coverage overall. Knock Off lets Tangela be an annoyance to Pokemon that rely on their items to be effective (especially Eviolite users), but the given moves are usually more important. If dealing with Ludicolo isn't important for your team, a spread of 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD should be used. Partners that deal with Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary and Fire-types are appreciated, Regirock being a stellar example. Lickilicky is a great partner for Tangela as it can wall special threats that trouble Tangela, but keep in mind that this core is vulnerable to strong physically based Fire- and Flying-type attackers. Choice Band Golurk can deal with Fire-types and can do a number to the opponent's team with the paralysis support Tangela provides if it chooses to run Stun Spore. Water-types such as Samurott can deal with Fire-types such as Charizard, making them good partners as well.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Hidden Power Rock
move 4: Giga Drain / Synthesis
evs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Tangela is primarily seen as a tank that relies on its Defense to wall various threats, an offensive set is just as viable due to Tangela's great Special Attack. This set lets Tangela hit opponents hard while still being able to deal with physical threats, albeit less effectively due to less investment in physical bulk. Leaf Storm is Tangela's main STAB move and works wonderfully with Regenerator as it will be switching out often. Sleep Powder lets Tangela incapacitate switch-ins and deters its checks and counters from coming in for free against it. Hidden Power Rock hits many important targets such as Braviary and Charizard that would otherwise give this set hell. Giga Drain is the primary option in the fourth slot as it provides a consistent STAB move that doesn't require Tangela to switch out and provides a somewhat reliable form of recovery. Synthesis is a more consistent form of recovery but is generally an inferior option as reliable recovery is not a concern for this set.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EVs let Tangela hit as hard as possible and outspeed Alomomola and Golurk. Sludge Bomb is an option to hit Grass-types harder, but Roselia and Vileplume take only neutral damage from it. Hidden Power Ice and Hidden Power Fire are viable options to hit threats which Hidden Power Rock misses out on, such as Dragon- and Steel-types, respectively. While this set covers physical threats fairly well, Misdreavus provides another check to physical attackers and covers Fighting-types that can break through this set, making it a good partner. Psychic-types such as Gardevoir and Duosion as well as Ground-types such as Golurk can deal with Poison-types, making them great partners as well. Water- and Rock-types are good partners as they can deal with Fire-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A set utilizing Sunny Day + SolarBeam can be used, but is utterly outclassed by Exeggutor and Shiftry. A Life Orb can be used on the offensive set, but Tangela really needs the increased bulk from Eviolite. Physical sets and sets with Choice Specs can work but are gimmicky and shouldn't be used. Toxic can cripple switch-ins but Sleep Powder and Stun Spore are generally more useful. Protect eases prediction and helps Tangela scout for moves, but does nothing much for Tangela specifically. Leaf Storm in conjunction with Power Swap is a gimmicky strategy and should never be used.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Flying-types such as Mandibuzz, Rotom-S, and most variants of Braviary are great counters to Tangela and have enough bulk to take a Hidden Power Rock. While Charizard can threaten Tangela with its STABs, it is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, making it a shaky check. LumRest Exeggutor can switch in on Sleep Powder due to Lum Berry, resists Tangela's STAB, and can hit it hard with Psychic. Sap Sipper Pokemon such as Miltank and Sawsbuck can hard wall Tangela and set up on it. Poison-types such as Roselia and Garbodor can force Tangela out and set up Toxic Spikes on it. Lastly, Vital Spirit Magmar and RestTalk Flareon are rare counters but very effective due to not being affected by Sleep Powder.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think Stun Spore should be slashed with Leech Seed and Knock Off in AC for the defensive set. Stun Spore is good for teams that enjoy paralysis support and do not need support from Leech Seed as much. Meanwhile Knock Off is a cool move. I also think HP Rock > HP Ice because then you're not completely vulnerable to Scolipede if you already used Sleep Powder on something else or want to save it for something else. Also, I think the 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD should be included in AC for teams that can already deal with Ludi.

Not QC, two cents etc etc.

thanks a bunch, implemented! really would appreciate qc comments on hp rock; that's what should be there IMO so yeah

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
^what soul said.

Also for the offensive set I think it should use a spread of 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe to outspeed Alomomola before it can Toxic you or w/e. Also Synthesis should be in AC because the reliability of Giga is way too good to pass up.

Stun Spore sounds like it could be a decent option for the defensive set, probably slashed with either Leech Seed or HP, but Tangela kinda has 4MSS so idk.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
-synthesis should be in the set comments for the first set as well as it is a good option so tangela is not forced to switch out as often against certain physical attackers in order to heal up.
-another option for the offensive set in the last slot is sludge bomb which lets it hit other grass types

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Tangela's current Overview is alright Kingler12345 , Treecko wrote it one month ago.

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Leech Seed / Synthesis
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Hidden Power Rock / Stun Spore
evs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] (goes for both AC)

• lcikiliky can use heal bell to cure status and special wall, but tangela DOES NOT COUNTER CB SAWK
  • missy provides a cbsawk counter+can heal bell
  • cb golurk *checks sawk*+fightings so yay and appreciates para support to destroy
?????????????????????? why Heal Bell support, why CB Sawk is mentionned everywhere? Tangela can easily take one hit from Sawk and switch out or stay in according to the move Sawk is locked into. I would really like to know why you added those (especially since you mention its bulk let it handle Sawk in the Overview Oo).

[Other Options]

Remove the Sludge Bomb mention.

Add physical sets / Choice Specs maybe?

I will check back later!

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
remove special walls as partners for the offensive set since if you're better off trying to form a core with the defensive set. partners that deal with grass and poison types should take priority over the ones you listed since fire-types can be hit by hidden power rock

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[Checks and Counters]

Just want to remind you that Braviary isn't the only Flying-type in NU :) (Swellow, Rotom-S, Drifblim, Charizard, etc)

Also add Poison-types.

QC 1/3 Kingler12345

Blast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • I don't really like the wording of the first bullet. I'd rather say its great physical bulk lets it serve as a good pivot switch into physical attackers, where it can switch out, Regenerate, and bring in a better matchup. Also no mention of Regenerator? It's like the best part about Tangela!
  • Remove the fourth point since it's basically already been covered.
  • You need to list more negatives, such as: its poor special bulk and weakness to a shitton of common threats (ex. Zard, Jynx, Pede). Competition isn't the only reason Tangela isn't on every team.
[SET COMMENTS] (Tank)
  • On the Synthesis mention, don't say that "Tangela being a rain check" makes Synthesis worse than Leech Seed, since a) Giga Drain destroys like every rain sweeper anyway, and b) the one sweeper it doesn't OHKO (Ludicolo) is immune to Leech Seed. Just say that the passive damage from Leech Seed + ability to support its teammates is often better.
[Other Options]
  • Power Swap + Leaf Storm here, gimmicky but so hilarious :)
Implement pls Kingler12345 , and I'll check again later

Id add Substitute to AC of the first set since it does cause a lot of switches, making SubSeed effective. Also, add Steel-types as checks to c&c since Tangela can't touch them aside from status.
Actually, aside from the Sap Sipper mons, LumRest Eggy, and Roselia (since it has natural cure), nothing else counters Tangela since they are crippled by status. Just try to clarify which check and which counter Tangela better. :)

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Id add Substitute to AC of the first set since it does cause a lot of switches, making SubSeed effective. Also, add Steel-types as checks to c&c since Tangela can't touch them aside from status.
Substitute is OO at best in my opinion. Tangela already has 4MSS and Substitute doesn't give as much utility as its other moves, but I won't stop it from going in AC if everyone else think it deserves a AC mention.

Blast

Yeah SubSeed isn't really AC material, though it's definitely worth a mention so I'd put that in OO. Tangela's main role is a pivot, so using Sub kind of clashes with that since it forces you to stay in. Plus you can't do shit to Grass-types anyway.

2/3 Write it Kingler12345

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
Kingler12345 You have to c/p the current overview that is onsite in the OP too.

Also fix your paragraph, some of them are randomly cut off at the middle lol

Don't forget to mention at the top that Treecko wrote the overview, and not you

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
I know I already qced this, but I have some comments.

AC of physically defensive.

Partners that deal with Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary and Fire-types are appreciated, Rock-types being stellar examples of the same.
Mention Regirock at least.

Also, you talk a lot more about strong fighting-types than Flying- or Fire-types while:

with 252 evs in def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 136-162 (40.84 - 48.64%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

with 136 evs in def:
252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 150-177 (45.04 - 53.15%) -- 28.91% chance to 2HKO

and

252 Atk Choice Band Primeape Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 121-144 (36.33 - 43.24%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Iron Fist Gurdurr Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 90-106 (27.02 - 31.83%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

+1 252+ Atk Gurdurr Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 84-99 (25.22 - 29.72%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Right now, when I read your paragraph all I remember from it is that Tangela can't deal with those Fighting-type. True fact is that Tangel CAN deal with them. You avoid the 2HKO from Sawk with 252 evs; mention it. Hell, Tangela can also easily take the hit if it came in safely and cripple Sawk with Sleep Powder, then regain its health later with Regenerator. Gurdurr is at +1 or +2, will it ruin Tangela's day? No. Tangela can easily take a hit, outspeed in the following turn, and use Sleep Powder. Primeape? It can't 2HKO Tangela even with Choice Band and is quite frail. Tangela takes ~30% from CB U-Turn: is the end of the world? No, since Tangela can heal all of that with Regenerator. The worst part is that I told you multiple time that Tangela doesn't have much problem with Fighting-types, and that if it does it's only with Sawk when entry hazards are up or the obscure Throh.

/rant

To be honest, if I were you I would rewrite the whole partner-part of the paragraph Kingler12345

Last edited:

watashi

World Defender
"However, Tangela's typing tends to hold it back a bit; weaknesses to common Ice-, Bug-, and Flying-type attacks is a huge downfall and force it to rely on its bulk alone to take on a good number of attackers."

i don't think tangela's typing is a problem for it tbh. change this to mention it's low spdef instead

"Tangela's great physical bulk lets it take on a large number of physically oriented threats such as Swords Dance Samurott and Kangaskhan easily."

adamant sd rott has a chance to ohko after stealth rocks with megahorn so i'd use another example of a physical attacker like tauros or torterra

FLCL
I believe i calced it and even after rocks sd rott only has like a 50% chance to OHKO after rocks with lo so i think it's a good example
ofc i could change it up so ill do that
typing part: i wasnt supposed to change the overview treecko wrote at all(but ill do that if qc thinks so)

watashi

World Defender
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Samurott Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Eviolite Tangela: 296-351 (88.88 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)