PU Tangela

QC Checks: galbia / Robert Alfons / TCR

GP Checks: Winry. / Antemortem

Overview
########

Tangela is an amazing Pokemon in the PU metagame due to its amazing physical bulk with an Eviolite and good defensive typing that allows it to check top-tier threats such as Poliwrath, Carracosta, and Barbaracle. With one of the best defensive abilities in the game, Regenerator, Tangela can be an amazing pivot that heals itself each time it switches out. In addition to its modest Special Attack, it has a decent movepool that includes Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Synthesis. However, Tangela somewhat relies on its Eviolite, and losing it can be detrimental. Its weakness to common types in PU such as Fire, Ice, and Flying hinder its usefulness a bit. Overall, as either an offensively based tank or a defensively based supporter, Tangela's ability to fit on any playstyle allows it to be a great asset to any team.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
ability: Regenerator
item: Eviolite
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is an incredibly powerful STAB move that hits Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types very hard at the cost of halving Tangela's Special Attack with each use. Sleep Powder is used to put foes to sleep, crippling them and conferring momentum. Giga Drain is Tangela's more reliable STAB attack, providing coverage against Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types, as well as being a reliable source of recovery. Lastly, Hidden Power Ice allows Tangela to hit threats such as Torterra and Altaria. Ancient Power can be used instead to hit Bug- and Fire-types more effectively on the switch while still hitting Flying-types, namely Articuno, but Hidden Power Ice's coverage is superior.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread increases Tangela's bulk and attacking power, the latter further supplemented by a Modest nature. Eviolite is Tangela's item of choice, as it drastically increases its defenses. Lastly, Regenerator allows Tangela multiple switch-in opportunities to act as a bulky pivot.

Usage Tips
========

Tangela's primary function is to act as a very bulky special attacker, taking on most Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon with ease. Tangela works well on offensive teams thanks to its great raw physical bulk and Regenerator that allow it to act as a bulky pivot. Avoid special attacks if possible, as even though it is bulky, Tangela's Special Defense is far lower than its Defense. Tangela can come in on most physical attackers and wear them down with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Sleep Powder should be used to cripple one of Tangela's checks or counters on the switch-in, though this requires a bit of prediction.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales make for excellent teammates, as they beat Bug- and Ice-types, while Tangela beats Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types for them in return. Ground-types such as Camerupt and Stunfisk make for good teammates, as they can beat Poison- and Fire-types for Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-types in return. Rock-types such as Barbaracle and Carracosta make for good teammates, as they can beat the Fire-, Bug-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon that give Tangela trouble. In return, Tangela can effectively wall most Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type Pokemon that could give them trouble.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Sleep Powder / Toxic
move 3: Synthesis / Leech Seed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Giga Drain is a reliable STAB attack and source of recovery that provides coverage against Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types, such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, Poliwrath, Piloswine, Marowak, and Golem. Sleep Powder cripples foes by putting them to sleep, ensuring a gain in momentum. Alternatively, Toxic can be used to better wear down and stall out switch-ins such as Bouffalant, Heatmor, Ninetales, and Camerupt. Synthesis can be used as a reliable source of instant recovery, while Leech Seed can provide steady recovery each turn while simultaneously sapping the opposing Pokemon's health. Finally, Hidden Power Ice allows Tangela to hit threats such as Torterra and Altaria. Stun Spore can be used for its ability to cripple foes for the whole match, but Tangela struggles to find the room to run it.

Set Details
========

The EV spread, along with a Bold nature, maximizes Tangela's physical bulk. Eviolite further bolsters both of Tangela's defenses. Regenerator allows Tangela to regain HP every time it switches out, making it very hard to wear down.

Usage Tips
========

Tangela's primary function is to act as a physical wall, as it can take on most Water-, Rock-, and. Ground-type Pokemon with ease. It works best on stall teams thanks to its great bulk, array of support moves, and ability to switch in and out thanks to Regenerator. Avoid taking hits from special attacks if possible, as Tangela's Special Defense is far lower than its Defense, even when holding Eviolite. Tangela can come in on most physical attackers and wear them down with Leech Seed and Giga Drain. With a bit of prediction, Sleep Powder can be used to cripple one of Tangela's checks or counters on the switch-in.

Team Options
========

Special walls such as Lickilicky make for the best teammates, as they form great defensive cores with Tangela. Ground-types such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make for good teammates, as they can beat Poison- and Fire-types for Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-types in return. Rock-types such as Carracosta are good partners, as they can beat the Fire-, Bug-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon that give Tangela trouble. In return, Tangela can effectively wall most Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type Pokemon that could give them trouble. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can absorb Toxic Spikes for Tangela, as well as lay down their own, helping Tangela stall out its foes. Lastly, Fire-types such as Camerupt and Flareon are excellent teammates, as they beat the Bug- and Ice-types that trouble Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types for them in return.

Other Options
########

Although Tangela is a great Pokemon in the PU metagame, it has very few other options to utilize. Sludge Bomb can be used for coverage against Grass- and Fairy-types, but primarily for its 30% chance to poison and cripple walls. Knock Off can be used to remove items from foes, crippling them, but Tangela struggles to find a spot for it. A specially defensive spread can be used to better wall Water-types, but Tangela works best as a physical wall. Lastly, Choice Specs can be used in conjunction with Leaf Storm to catch opponents off guard.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Heatmor, Ninetales, Flareon, and Camerupt can all take out Tangela with their super effective Fire-type STAB moves. They must be wary of Sleep Powder, however.

**Pokemon with Sap Sipper**: Pokemon with Sap Sipper such as Bouffalant, Gogoat, and Zebstrika do not take any damage from Tangela's Grass-type moves and gain an Attack boost. Zebstrika can OHKO Tangela with Overheat, while Bouffalant and Gogoat can set up on it and proceed to sweep.

**Ice-types**: Specially-based Ice-types such as Rotom-F, Regice, Articuno, and Glaceon can all OHKO Tangela with their super effective STAB attacks, and also take relatively little damage from Tangela's attacks.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Garbodor, Roselia, Haunter, and Arbok all have a relatively easy time beating Tangela, as they take little damage from Tangela's attacks and can threaten it with their super effective STAB attacks. Roselia is an exceptionally good counter, as it is immune to both Leech Seed and Sleep Powder.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Considering the main bulky Grass-types of the tier, Roselia, Gourgeist, and Torterra, are not even weak to Sludge Bomb, I'd say Sludge Bomb is not for Grass-types, if anything it is just a nice move to hit Togetic with since it is especially annoyed by poison. That's probably not enough to warrant a slash though.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im not qc but here is some advice. Knock off probably deserves a slash on the defensive set; sludge bomb isnt hitting anything hard as shown by above. Nothing likes their item knocked, especially not pokes such as togetic.

I also feel the offensive set should have some speed creep;
32 for adamant carracosta
48 for standard bouff
84 for min poliwrath (also other base 70's like mantine)
96 for Jolly costa
136 for max neutral Golem and marowak
These are the only proper benchmarks which you might want to use

Also add specs in oo, its better than half the stuff you have it there, like psy up. You also might want to add something to do with flying types in c&c (they all defog on you and togetic can set up unlimited nasty plots)
Lastly mention in the overview why it isnt outclassed by other bulky grass types like gourgeist or torterra.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Im not qc but here is some advice. Knock off probably deserves a slash on the defensive set; sludge bomb isnt hitting anything hard as shown by above. Nothing likes their item knocked, especially not pokes such as togetic.

I also feel the offensive set should have some speed creep;
32 for adamant carracosta
48 for standard bouff
84 for min poliwrath (also other base 70's like mantine)
96 for Jolly costa
136 for max neutral Golem and marowak
These are the only proper benchmarks which you might want to use

Also add specs in oo, its better than half the stuff you have it there, like psy up. You also might want to add something to do with flying types in c&c (they all defog on you and togetic can set up unlimited nasty plots)
Lastly mention in the overview why it isnt outclassed by other bulky grass types like gourgeist or torterra.
Whats the point of outspeeding Bouffalant? They eat tangela for breakfast with sap sipper, its not like you're going to run HP fighting for them.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Whats the point of outspeeding Bouffalant? They eat tangela for breakfast with sap sipper, its not like you're going to run HP fighting for them.
I was just looking at speed tiers lol. Anyway, sludge bomb /might/ not be that bad thinking about it because:
252+ SpA Tangela Sludge Bomb vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Bouffalant: 94-111 (25.1 - 29.6%)
Always breaking the sub is nice (especcially when bouff can usually switch in for free

Ugh I would honestly change the order of the sets. Offensive Tangela is still plenty bulky without max investment and hitting hard with Leaf Storm (that also complements regen very well) is very useful and makes tangela worth fitting even in bulky offense teams. Sludge bomb is also not very good on that set as it let's stuff you should beat like DD altaria simply set up on tangelatangela and sludge bomb hits any grass type bar simisage and other tangrla less hard than hp ice. Move it to OO.
Remove SD from oo and any physical move bar knock off
Make c&c look presentable (this is very important) as for now it is quite unacceptable :/
Tag me back when you have done this :)

Alright galbia, edited.

First off, typically I don't usually fill out c&c until after a check or two in case headers may be added or removed, but I did it just for you :]

Secondly, I would really like to hear from other qc about set order. Not 100% sure atm.

As for Sludge Bomb, confused as to where to put it, oo completely, or on one set or the other?

oo did what you said

Lastly, as for specs in oo, id like input on that. Imo eviolite is one of the bigger reasons to use tangela, and its offensive movepool for a specs set is quite frankly horrible.

I also agree that the offensive set should be first, Tangela has a huge advantage of being terrifically bulky even with little investment, and the offensive set fits so much better as a pivot because it's better at threatening the things it pivot into and making switch-ins more wary of, well, switching in.

Reactions: g

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Looks pretty good honestly. Slash Synthesis before Leech Seed on defensive imo, defensive works best on stall teams and on stall Synthesis will really help out in taking big hits. Remove Amnesia from OO, it sucks. Do add Specs in OO, its movepool is not huge but it can catch stuff off guard. "Special walls like Musharna" seems weird to me, usually Mushy focuses more on taking physical hits. Replace that with Lickilicky, that's basically the go-to mon for stall teams and it pairs rather well with Tangela. For defensive, also mention hazard setters as partners (especially Toxic Spikes setters) in order to stall out your opponent more effectively.

Don't have any major complaints though. QC 2/3 once you fixed these

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Take with a pinch of salt + I'd like other QC input because I'm not well-versed in Tangela

0 SpA Tangela Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 84-100 (26.8 - 31.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Tangela Sludge Bomb vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Bouffalant: 68-80 (18.1 - 21.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

Move Sludge Bomb to OO, it shouldn't be on the defensive set unless there's better justification for it because it does jack all to these two.

I think the analysis in general still needs some improvement:

Some general stuff. If there's a specific team style that either set is better suited to, you should mention it in Usage Tips. For example if stall prefers the defensive one be sure to mention it, same with the other styles for the offensive set.

In the Overview, you need to explain why Regenerator is such a good thing: it allows Tangela to pivot in and out of stuff and keep at a good amount of HP. Also, I don't think Tangela's versatility makes it a good asset. It's an asset because it can check physical attackers and keep healthy by itself, and it's not really very versatile.

Offensive Set:

Could Ancient Power be slashed alongside HP Ice? Hits Flying-types just as hard while also covering Fire-types.

Defensive Set:

HP is pretty pathetic tbh. 60 base power move doesn't do shit to most Pokemon, only really doing well vs Altaria and other Tangela. I'm not sure if it deserves a slash tbh, the other QC guys approved it so it should be fine I guess, but just wanted to put it out here.

In addition what do you guys think of Stun Spore? It was a slash last gen to allow Tangela to cripple stuff after it's done with Sleep Powder.

Team Options:
- Lickilicky > Lickitung
- The explanation for hazard setters needs to be fixed or removed entirely. So what if hazard setter help Tangela break down walls? Firstly, they don't because Tangela still cannot break them, and secondly Tangela isn't meant to break them either. So please fix this explanation or remove this part.

Other Options

Remove Infestation, it's shit

galbia Robert Alfons TRC I would like opinions on what I posted regarding set changes

Reactions: g

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Defensive Set:

HP is pretty pathetic tbh. 60 base power move doesn't do shit to most Pokemon, only really doing well vs Altaria and other Tangela. I'm not sure if it deserves a slash tbh, the other QC guys approved it so it should be fine I guess, but just wanted to put it out here.

In addition what do you guys think of Stun Spore? It was a slash last gen to allow Tangela to cripple stuff after it's done with Sleep Powder.
I believe Hidden Power Ice is what allows Tangela to combat the likes of Sawsbuck and DD + Roost Altaria, while not giving things like Flying-types and especially Grass-types totally free switch-ins. Sludge Bomb should probably be taken out as the poison may clash with Sleep Powder, and Knock Off slashed after HP Ice.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
galbia can you explain why Ancient Power is slashed on defensive? I'd prefer Knock Off or Stun Spore instead but I want to know your reason in case it is important.

Add specially defensive spread to Set Details.

I spoke with you regarding team options,especially for the defensive set. Either mention balanced teams as well, or else swap out some of the more offensive teammates (Marowak, Barbaracle, Heatmor) for more defensive ones to complement stall. Glalie should be removed entirely, and Garbodor's main use for Tangela specifically is absorbing Toxic Spikes and setting Toxic Spikes up so that Tangela can outstall a large portion of the opponent's physical attackers. Sikes aren't a relevant thing to mention on a defensive mon without a phazing move.

In your Usage Tips for the offensive set, change "It works well on bulky offense teams, thanks to its great raw physical bulk, as well as Regenerator." to something like "Tangela works well on offensive teams, thanks to its great raw physical bulk and Regenerator, allowing it to act as a bulky pivot." Most offensive teams lack any sort of defensive backbone to take a hit, so bulky pivots and tanks are crucial for those situations.

Team Options still seems eerily similar to each other, but these sets work on different teams, so make sure that you remember that.

galbia can you explain why Ancient Power is slashed on defensive? I'd prefer Knock Off or Stun Spore instead but I want to know your reason in case it is important.

Add specially defensive spread to Set Details.

I spoke with you regarding team options,especially for the defensive set. Either mention balanced teams as well, or else swap out some of the more offensive teammates (Marowak, Barbaracle, Heatmor) for more defensive ones to complement stall. Glalie should be removed entirely, and Garbodor's main use for Tangela specifically is absorbing Toxic Spikes and setting Toxic Spikes up so that Tangela can outstall a large portion of the opponent's physical attackers. Sikes aren't a relevant thing to mention on a defensive mon without a phazing move.

In your Usage Tips for the offensive set, change "It works well on bulky offense teams, thanks to its great raw physical bulk, as well as Regenerator." to something like "Tangela works well on offensive teams, thanks to its great raw physical bulk and Regenerator, allowing it to act as a bulky pivot." Most offensive teams lack any sort of defensive backbone to take a hit, so bulky pivots and tanks are crucial for those situations.

Team Options still seems eerily similar to each other, but these sets work on different teams, so make sure that you remember that.
I am pretty sure i told him to make the last slash HP Ice/Stun Spore and to leave Ancientpower to the offensive set but he must have misunderstood me.
I actually don't agree on the specially defensive spread because Roselia does that a lot better and using max Sdef tangela is kind of a waste. Agree on anything else

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Place specially defensive in oo then, because while roselia is better at dealing with special attackers, tangela does appreciate the additional buffer against water attacks.

i've been running toxic over sleep powder on defensive tangela which i really like because a) i can actually wear down switch in ninetales / heatmor / camerupt which is handy considering they're already spikes sr and tspikes weak and b) it allows tangela to synthesis stall things. slash it in my opinion and then take it out of oo

qc 3/3

i've been running toxic over sleep powder on defensive tangela which i really like because a) i can actually wear down switch in ninetales / heatmor / camerupt which is handy considering they're already spikes sr and tspikes weak and b) it allows tangela to synthesis stall things. slash it in my opinion and then take it out of oo

qc 3/3
definitely agree with Toxic as a slash, I wanted it originally but was advised by qc otherwise. Its also good for like bouffalant, as well as what you mentioned. Thank you, I'll send this to gp.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck

Overview
########

With its amazing physical bulk with an Eviolite and a good defensive typing that allows it to check top-tier threats such as Poliwrath, Carracosta, and Barbaracle, Tangela is an amazing Pokemon in the PU metagame. With It has one of the best defensive abilities in the game in Regenerator, allowing Tangela to be an amazing pivot that heals itself each time it switches out. As well as having decent Special Attack, it has a decent movepool to complement it, including Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Synthesis. There are only a few downsides to Tangela, however. It somewhat relies However, though it is fairly bulky on its own, it is somewhat reliant on its Eviolite, but is still fairly bulky without it. It's Also, its weaknesses to common types such as Fire, Ice, and Flying hinder its usefulness a bit. Overall, from running either an offensively based tank, or a defensively based support set, Tangela's ability to fit on any playstyle run an offensive tank set or a defensive support set allows it to fit in any playstyle and be a great asset to on any team.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is an incredibly powerful STAB move that hits Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types very hard, at the cost of halving Tangela's Special Attack with each use. Sleep Powder is used to put foes to sleep and cripple them, which gains momentum for your team allows for momentum gain. Giga Drain is Tangela's reliable secondary STAB attack, providing coverage against Rock-, Water-, ans Ground-types, as well as being a reliable source of recovery. Lastly, Hidden Power Ice is used to provide extra coverage, allowing Tangela to hit threats such as Torterra and Altaria. Additionally, Ancientpower Alternatively, Ancient Power can be used to better hit Bug- and Fire-types on the switch, while still hitting Flying-types, but Hidden Power Ice's coverage is superior.

Set Details
========

The EVs are invested into HP and Special Attack, for greater bulk as well as attacking power, which is further backed by from a Modest nature. Eviolite is the best item for Tangela, as it drastically increases its defenses. Lastly, Regenerator is the ability of choice, as since it allows Tangela multiple switch-in (add dash) opportunities.

Usage Tips
========

Tangela's primary function is to act as a very bulky special attacker, taking on most Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon with ease. Tangela works well on offensive teams as a bulky pivot, thanks to its great raw physical bulk and Regenerator, allowing it to act as a bulky pivot. Avoid special attacks if possible, as even though it it Tangela is bulky, Tangela'its Special Defense is far lower than its Defense. Tangela can come in on most physical attackers and wear them down with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Sleep Powder should be used to cripple one of Tangela's checks or counters, hitting them on the switch. This requires a bit of prediction, however.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales make excellent teammates, as they beat Bug- and Ice-types, while Tangela beats Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types for them in return. Ground-types such as Camerupt and Stunfisk make good teammates, as they can beat Poison- and Fire-types for Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-types in return. Rock-types such as Barbaracle and Carracosta make for good teammates, as they can beat the Fire-, Bug-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon that give Tangela trouble. In return, Tangela can effectively wall most Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type Pokemon that could give them trouble.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Giga Drain is Tangela's reliable STAB attack, providing coverage against Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types, such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, Poliwrath, Piloswine, Marowak, and Golem, as well as being a reliable source of recovery. Sleep Powder is used to put foes to sleep and cripple them, gaining momentum for your team which allows for momentum gain, while Toxic is used to better wear down and stall out switch-inses such as Bouffalant, Heatmor, Ninetales, and Camerupt. Synthesis is used as a reliable source of instant recovery, while Leech Seed is used for a source of steady recovery each turn, that simultaneously saps the foe's ping the opponents health. Finally, (it feels a little odd to say 'finally' here, and then have another move option after it) Hidden Power Ice is used to provide extra coverage, allowing Tangela to hit threats such as Torterra and Altaria. Additionally, Stun Spore can be used for its ability to cripple foes for the whole match, but Tangela struggles to find the room to run it.

Set Details
========

The EVs are invested primarily into HP and Defense, along with a Bold nature, allowing it to maximizing its phhysical bulk. Eviolite is the item of choice, as it further bolsters both of Tangela's defenses. Regenerator is the ability of choice, as it allows Tangela to regain HP every time it switches out, making it very hard to wear down.

Usage Tips
========

Tangela's primary function is to act as a physical wall, taking on most Water-, Rock-, and. (remove period) Ground-type Pokemon with ease. It works best on stall teams, thanks to its great bulk, wide array of support moves, and ability to regain health by switching in and out thanks to with Regenerator. Avoid special attacks if possible, as even though it it Tangela is bulky, Tangela'its Special Defense is far lower than its Defense. Tangela can come in on most physical attackers and wear them down with Leech Seed and Giga Drain. Finally, Sleep Powder should be used to cripple one of Tangela's checks or counters, hitting them on the switch. This requires a bit of prediction, however.

Team Options
========

Special walls such as Lickilicky make the best teammates for this set teammates, as they form a great defensive core with Tangela. Ground-types such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make good teammates, as they can beat Poison- and Fire-types for Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-types in return. Rock-types such as Carracosta make for good teammates, as they can beat the Fire-, Bug-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon that give Tangela trouble. In return, Tangela can effectively wall most Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type Pokemon that could give them trouble. Hazard setters such as Garbodor can absorb Toxic Spikes for Tangela, as well as lay down its own, helping Tangela to better stall out its foes. Lastly, Fire-types such as Camerupt and Flareon make excellent teammates, as they beat the Bug- and Ice-types that trouble Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types for them in return.

Other Options
########

Although Tangela is a spectacular Pokemon in the PU metagame, it has very few other options to utilize. Sludge Bomb can be used for coverage against Grass- and Fairy-types, but is primarily useful for its good 30% poison chance to poison and cripple walls. Knock Off can be used to remove opponents foes' items and cripple them, but Tangela struggles to find a spot for it. A specially defensive spread can be used to better wall Water-types, but Tangela strives shines (i think that's what you meant? if not, 'works' or 'functions' is fine too) best as a physical wall. Lastly, Choice Specs can be used in conjunction with Leaf Storm and to catch opponents off guard.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Heatmor, Ninetales, Flareon, and Camerupt can all take out Tangela with their super effective Fire-type STAB moves. They must be wary of Sleep Powder, however.

**Sap Sippers**: Pokemon with Sap Sipper such as Bouffalant, Gogoat, and Zebstrika are immune to Tangela's Grass-type moves, and gain an Attack boost from them., and can either KO with a super effective move in Zebstrika's case Zebstrika can then KO with Overheat, or in while Bouffalant and Gogoat's case, can set up on all over Tangela and proceed to sweep.

**Ice-types**: Specially-based Ice-types such as Rotom-F, Regice, Articuno, and Glaceon can all OHKO Tangela with their super effective STAB attacks, and they also take relatively little damage from Tangela's attacks.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Garbodor, Roselia, Haunter, and Arbok all have a relatively easy time beating Tangela, as they take little damage from Tangela, as well as having and can retaliate with super effective STAB attacks to hit Tangela with. Roselia makes an exceptionally good counter, as it is immune to both Leech Seed and Sleep Powder.

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add / Capitalize or lowercase / remove / comments
Overview
########

With Tangela is an amazing pokemon in the PU metagame due to its amazing physical bulk with an Eviolite and a good defensive typing that allows it to check top-tier threats such as Poliwrath, Carracosta, and Barbaracle, (RC) Tangela is an amazing pokemon in the PU metagame. With one of the best defensive abilities in the game in Regenerator, allowing Tangela tocan be an amazing pivot that heals itself each time it switches out. As well as having decent Special Attack, it has a decent movepool to complement it,hat includinges Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, and Synthesis. There are only a few downsides toHowever, Tangela, however. It somewhat relies on its Eviolite, but is still fairly bulky without it. (Honestly, I don't really understand the previous sentence. If it's fairly bulky without Eviolite why does it rely on it / why is that a negative..?) It's Its weaknesses to common types such as Fire, Ice, and Flying hinder its usefulness a bit. Overall, from running either an offensively based tank, (RC) or a defensively based support set, Tangela's ability to fit on any playstyle allows it to be a great asset on any team.

Offensive
########

Moves
========

Leaf Storm is an incredibly powerful STAB move that hits Ground-, Water-, and Rock-types very hard, (RC) at the cost of halving Tangela's Special Attack with each use. Sleep Powder is used to put foes to sleep and cripple them, which allows for momentum gain. Giga Drain is Tangela's reliable secondary STAB attack, providing coverage against Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types, as well as being a reliable source of recovery. Lastly, Hidden Power Ice is used to provide extra coverage, allowing Tangela to hit threats such as Torterra and Altaria. Additionally, Ancient Power can be used to better hit Bug- and Fire-types on the switch, (RC) while still hitting Flying-types, but Hidden Power Ice's coverage is superior.

Set Details
========

The EVs are invested into HP and Special Attack, (RC) for great to increase Tangela's bulk as well as and attacking power, (AC) which is also backed from by a Modest nature. Eviolite is the best item for Tangela, as it drastically increases its defenses. Lastly, Regenerator is the ability of choice, (AC) as since it allows Tangela multiple switch-in opportunities.

Usage Tips
========

Tangela's primary function is to act as a very bulky Special Attacker, taking on most Water-, Rock-, and Ground-type Pokemon with ease. Tangela works well on offensive teams, (RC) thanks to its great raw physical bulk and Regenerator, allowing it to act as a bulky pivot. Avoid special attacks if possible, as even though it it bulky, Tangela's Special Defense is far lower than its Defense. Tangela can come in on most physical attackers and wear them down with Leaf Storm or Giga Drain. Sleep Powder should be used to cripple one of Tangela's checks or counters, hitting them on the switch. This requires a bit of prediction, however.

Team Options
========

Fire-types such as Flareon and Ninetales make for excellent teammates, as they beat Bug- and Ice-types, while Tangela beats Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types for them in return. Ground-types such as Camerupt and Stunfisk make for good teammates, as they can beat Poison- and Fire-types for Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-types in return. Rock-types such as Barbaracle and Carracosta make for good teammates, as they can beat the Fire-, Bug-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon that give Tangela trouble. In return, Tangela can effectively wall most Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type Pokemon that could give them trouble.

Defensive
########

Moves
========

Giga Drain is Tangela's reliable STAB attack, (RC) that is a reliable source of recovery and providinges coverage against Rock-, Water-, and Ground-types, such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, Poliwrath, Piloswine, Marowak, and Golem, as well as being a reliable source of recovery. Sleep Powder is used to put cripple foes by putting them to sleep and cripple them, which allows for momentum gain, (RC) while. (period) Alternatively, (AC) Toxic is can be used to better wear down and stall out switches switch-ins such as Bouffalant, Heatmor, Ninetales, and Camerupt. Synthesis is can be used as a reliable source of instant recovery, while Leech Seed is used for a source of can provide steady recovery each turn, (RC) while simultaneously sapping the opponents opposing Pokemon's health. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is used to provide extra coverage, allowing Tangela to hit threats such as Torterra and Altaria. Additionally, Stun Spore can be used for its ability to cripple foes for the whole match, but Tangela struggles to find the room to run it.

Set Details
========

The EVs are invested primarily into in HP and Defense, along with a Bold nature, allowing it to maximize its Tangela's phhysical bulk. Eviolite is the item of choice, as it further bolsters both of Tangela's defenses. Regenerator is the ability of choice, as it allows Tangela to regain HP every time it switches out, making it very hard to wear down.

Usage Tips
========

Tangela's primary function is to act as a physical wall, taking as it can take on most Water-, Rock-, and. Ground-type Pokemon with ease. It works best on stall teams, (RC) thanks to its great bulk, array of support moves, and ability to switch in and out thanks to Regenerator. Avoid taking hits from special attacks if possible, as even though it it bulky, Tangela's Special Defense is far lower than its Defense, (AC) even when holding Eviolite. Tangela can come in on most physical attackers and wear them down with Leech Seed and Giga Drain. Finally, with a bit of prediction, (AC) Sleep Powder should can be used to cripple one of Tangela's checks or counters, hitting them on the switch. This requires a bit of prediction, however.

Team Options
========

Special walls such as Lickilicky make the best teammates for this se the best teammates, as they form a great defensive core with Tangela. Ground-types such as Piloswine and Stunfisk make for good teammates, as they can beat Poison- and Fire-types for Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-types in return. Rock-types such as Carracosta make for are good teammates partners, as they can beat the Fire-, Bug-, Flying-, and Ice-type Pokemon that give Tangela trouble. In return, Tangela can effectively wall most Grass-, Ground-, and Electric-type Pokemon that could give them trouble. Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor can absorb Toxic Spikes for Tangela, as well as lay down its own, helping Tangela to better stall out its foes. Lastly, Fire-types such as Camerupt and Flareon make are excellent teammates, as they beat the Bug- and Ice-types that trouble Tangela, while Tangela beats Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types for them in return.

Other Options
########

Although Tangela is a spectacular Pokemon in the PU metagame, it has very few other options to utilize. Sludge Bomb can be used for coverage against Grass- and Fairy-types, but primarily for its good 30% poison chance to poison and cripple walls. Knock Off can be used to remove opponents items and from foes, crippleing them, but Tangela struggles to find a spot for it. A specially defensive spread can be used to better wall Water-types, but Tangela strives works best as a physical wall. Lastly, Choice Specs can be used in conjunction with Leaf Storm and to catch opponents off guard.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pokemon with Sap Sippers**: Pokemon with Sap Sipper such as Bouffalant, Gogoat, and Zebstrika do not take any damage from are immune to Tangela's Grass-type moves, (RC) and gain an attack boost, and. (period) Zebstrika can either OHKO with a super effective move in Zebstrika's case Tangela with Overheat, or in while Bouffalant and Gogoat's case,(RC) can set up all over Tangela on it and proceed to sweep.

**Ice-types**: Specially-based Ice-types such as Rotom-F, Regice, Articuno, and Glaceon can all OHKO Tangela with their super effective STAB attacks, and also take relatively little damage from Tangela's attacks.

**Poison-types**: Poison-types such as Garbodor, Roselia, Haunter, and Arbok all have a relatively easy time beating Tangela, as they take little damage from Tangela,'s attacks as well as having and can threaten it with their super effective STAB attacksto hit Tangela with. Roselia makes is an exceptionally good counter, as it is immune to both Leech Seed and Sleep Powder.

gp 1/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)