Tangrowth

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>The first thing people see when looking at Tangrowth are its huge base stats, with four out of its six base stats being over base 100, a rare sight to see in RU. Among those stats lie a high Defense and respectable offenses, which allow Tangrowth to function as an effective tank. The biggest boon to Tangrowth, however, is its ability, which allows it to regain one-third of its maximum health upon switching out, making it much harder to kill. To complement all that, Tangrowth gets access to Sleep Powder, which effectively lets it incapacitate a Pokemon for the rest of the battle. Unfortunately, the two stats that aren't up-to-par are those that burden it the most; a low Special Defense and Speed make it easy to kill with special attacks. Tangrowth also faces stiff competition from Amoonguss, which sports an actual Special Defense stat, the more accurate Spore, a better defensive typing, and the same Regenerator ability; Tangrowth's higher offenses lets it beat most setup sweepers even after sleep clause has been activated, though. The metagame has also prepared for sleep inducers, which lowers the impact of Tangrowth's main weapon: Sleep Powder.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Sleep Powder
move 2: Power Whip / Giga Drain
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Synthesis / Leech Seed
item: Leftovers
ability: Regenerator
nature: Relaxed / Bold
evs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although this set has seen better days, it still remains Tangrowth's most effective set, utilizing its high Defense and offenses along with the ability to keep switching thanks to Regenerator to make Tangrowth a tough vine to break. Furthermore, Tangrowth's larger offensive presence gives it an edge over other walls. Sleep Powder is Tangrowth's most valuable move, having the ability to render a would-be threat useless for the entire match; the only thing lacking is its accuracy, as a miss can lead to disastrous results. Power Whip is a strong STAB attack that gives Tangrowth the ability to break past Cryogonal and Slowking while maintaining the ability to check Gallade, something Amoonguss cannot boast of. Giga Drain is a worthy alternative if you desire extra healing as well as the ability to switch into Scalds without fear of weakening Tangrowth's main STAB move. Hidden Power Fighting is used to maim Aggron while landing a strong hit on Sap Sipper users such as Bouffalant and Sawsbuck, but Hidden Power Fire can be used instead to decimate Durant while getting much stronger hit on Escavalier and Ferroseed, though it should be noted that Hidden Power Fighting deals with the latter just fine. The last slot is assigned for extra healing; whether it be from Synthesis or Leech Seed is up to you. Synthesis is Tangrowth's most reliable way of healing, as it doesn't force Tangrowth to switch out. Leech Seed, however, provides chip damage as well as a way to force threats out, and is especially useful if Tangrowth is used on a Spikes-stacking team; furthermore, Leech Seed can be used as a way to provide healing for partners that don't have access to reliable recovery, such as Druddigon and Golurk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>16 Special Defense EVs are used to avoid the OHKO from Absol's Fire Blast with the rest thrown into Defense and HP for better durability. The choice of nature depends on your choice of STAB move; if Tangrowth is using Power Whip, use Relaxed, otherwise, use Bold. Hidden Power Rock can be used to catch Moltres and other Fire-types on the switch, but Sleep Powder does that well enough and Hidden Power Fire or Fighting provide more utility. In a similar case, Rock Slide can be used so Hidden Power Fire or Fighting isn't sacrificed, but again, the moves mentioned above are overall more useful. Stun Spore and Knock Off are other useful support options, but are outclassed by those listed. Earthquake can be used in the second slot to get a hard hit on Fire-types such as Emboar and Magmortar, but Tangrowth is better off using the moves mentioned above. Similarly, Focus Blast can be used over Hidden Power Fighting for more power, but makes dealing with Substitute Bouffalant and Sawsbuck a luck-driven game, as they can just fish for misses and PP stall Tangrowth.</p>

<p>As for partners, Tangrowth appreciates Pokemon that can switch into special Fire-type attacks; specially defensive Regirock, defensive Druddigon, and Thick Fat Miltank fit the bill, and they can also set up Stealth Rock. Qwilfish and Poliwrath can also switch into Fire-types as well as Bug-types; the former can even set up Spikes, which work great with Leech Seed since it forces switches. Slowking forms a solid and sturdy Regenerator core with Tangrowth, as they have great synergy together. Pokemon that deal with the likes of Lilligant, Roselia, and Amoonguss are also appreciated, as Tangrowth is hard walled by them; Fire-types such as Moltres and Emboar are good choices for that, and the latter can even act as a sleep absorber with Sleep Talk.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Leaf Storm
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Rock
move 4: Sleep Powder
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Tangrowth puts its high Special Attack stat to good use with this set, as it lets Tangrowth go completely offensive while still offering a nice cushion for physical blows. Leaf Storm is the STAB move of choice for this set, as it provides immense power coming off of Tangrowth's boosted Special Attack; the drop in Special Attack isn't too worrisome, as Tangrowth likes switching due to Regenerator healing. Focus Blast hits annoying Steel-types for solid damage, securing an OHKO on Steelix and Ferroseed, the latter after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types such as Moltres and Magmortar for super effective damage, OHKOing the former and having a high chance to OHKO the latter after Stealth Rock, which is guaranteed if Tangrowth uses Choice Specs. While using Sleep Powder seems weird on a set with Choice Specs as one of the recommended items, its potential to cripple a threat for the rest of the match is invaluable; and, as mentioned before, Tangrowth doesn't mind switching, as it will only be healing HP thanks to Regenerator.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize power and let Tangrowth outspeed everything up to minimum Speed Lanturn with the rest thrown in HP for overall bulk. Life Orb offers a nice boost in power, with Regenerator offsetting Life Orb recoil more often than not. Choice Specs can be used instead for immense power at the cost of being locked into a move; Tangrowth will be switching often anyway, so that isn't a big problem. Hidden Power Fire is a useful move to hit Escavalier hard while getting rid of other Steel-types with more reliability than Focus Blast, but Hidden Power Rock's ability to hit Moltres and other Fire-types such as Entei and Typhlosion is usually superior. Giga Drain can be used over Leaf Storm, but the latter's power often overshadows the former's healing on this particular set.</p>

<p>Despite the increase in power, Amoonguss and Roselia are still stops to Tangrowth, which makes having a Fire-type partner such as Moltres or Emboar useful. In return, Tangrowth blasts Water-types out of the way for them to sweep. Gallade is another good partner to get rid of Amoonguss, and also lures out Spiritomb for Tangrowth to switch in on. Similarly, Absol can Pursuit trap the likes of Uxie while also luring out and getting rid of Escavalier with Fire Blast, but Absol rarely every runs both those moves on the same set, so just Pursuit trapping and having Fire-type partners dispose of Escavalier is good enough. Lanturn also pairs well with Tangrowth, as they have solid synergy together; Lanturn can also get Tangrowth in safely with a slow Volt Switch, while also providing chip damage on Druddigon and other Grass-types with Toxic and Scald burns. Entry hazard setters are useful so that Tangrowth can get KOs such as that on Ferroseed with Focus Blast and Magmortar with Hidden Power Rock; Qwilfish and Rhydon are good for this, and they also have good synergy with Tangrowth. Choice Specs Slowking and Tangrowth make for an excellent Regenerator core, as they share good synergy and hit like trucks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Chlorophyll is a great ability to use on a sun team, as it alleviates Tangrowth's Speed issues; Tangrowth even has access to Growth, SolarBeam, and Synthesis to further take advantage of the sun. A Swords Dance set is semi-viable, as Tangrowth has a great base 100 Attack to utilize it with, but Tangrowth's Speed presents itself as a major issue, and it's better off using its higher base 110 Special Attack stat to go on the offensive. Tangrowth also has access to some other support moves such as Toxic and Reflect, but they're mostly outclassed by the moves listed above.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Magmortar is a great check to Tangrowth, as it can hit Tangrowth on its weaker Special Defense with STAB super effective Fire-type attacks, and doesn't care about Sleep Powder thanks to Vital Spirit, either. Other specially offensive Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Moltres are also great at dealing with Tangrowth, but they must be vary of Sleep Powder and Hidden Power Rock. Sap Sipper users such as Bouffalant and Sawsbuck can come in on Sleep Powder and Tangrowth's other STAB attacks and get a free Attack boost out of them, but they have to avoid Focus Blast, Hidden Power Fighting, and in the latter's case, Hidden Power Fire as well. Galvantula can hit both Tangrowth and its most common partner, Slowking, with STAB super effective Bug-type attacks. Bulky Sigilyph is resilient enough to tank even a Choice Specs-boosted Hidden Power Rock, outlast them with Roost, and then proceed to KO Tangrowth with Air Slash, Heat Wave, or even Psychic. Scolipede and Durant need to watch out for Hidden Power Fire, but can otherwise do a number on both Tangrowth and Slowking, effectively defeating the core. Other Fire-types such as Entei and Emboar can deal with Tangrowth despite them being physically based, as a Choice Band-boosted Flare Blitz from either of them will leave Tangrowth crippled. Sleep absorbers, like the two mentioned above, and even Choice Band or specially defensive Druddigon can get past Tangrowth's most threatening weapon, Sleep Powder. Roselia, Amoonguss, and Clefable can wall Tangrowth with ease once sleep clause has been activated and can then proceed to take it out with Hidden Power Fire or Fire Blast if they carry it. Generally any special attacker that has a hard-hitting move can force Tangrowth out, but be careful of Sleep Powder immobilizing said attacker, and know that Tangrowth doesn't mind being forced out thanks to Regenerator.</p>

Last edited:
I would say the Defensive set is still the better one because of Sleep Powder being easier to use and it in general just not dying, but it probably needs some special defense investment in order to not get automatically roasted by Fire Blasts. However, I have no idea what the EVs could look like... the way I see the set, however, is something like this

Sleep Powder
Power Whip / Giga Drain
Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
Synthesis / Leech Seed

With Stun Spore, Knock Off, Earthquake in AC.

I'm honestly not entirely sure how to approach the set tbh, but I think this is the best approach. Sleep Powder is needed. Giga Drain is worse than Power Whip since only Power Whip can check Gallade which is really important. Focus Blast is also needed for Bouffalant and does a lot more to Steel-types in general, such as Aggron or Steelix. It does about as much to Ferroseed as Hidden Power Fire and still hurts Durant, although you shouldn't stay in anyway on it or Escavalier since you won't kill the latter and you will get outsped by the former. Synthesis is better than Leech Seed for the most part, although both are still usable. The AC moves are the most useful remaining ones I could think of - they are all good but not as good.

Oh yeah and on offensive Life Orb > Specs.

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Made all the changes, thanks guy!

Oh and Swamp-Rocket, the best way to get Tangrowth to avoid the 2HKO from Aerodactyl's Fire Blast is by using 208 EVs + a Calm nature, but that loses out on too much bulk imo. And there is no way to surely avoid a 2HKO from Absol or Druddigon's Fire Blast, even with maximum special bulk :(

Rohail after prcrastinating I got it

It looks retarded, but... make the spread 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD w/ Bold Nature. It allows you to survive Absol's Fire Blast after Stealth Rock, whereas 0 Special Defense does not.

0 SpA Life Orb Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 16 SpD Tangrowth: 296-351 (73.26 - 86.88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Life Orb Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 307-361 (75.99 - 89.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That's pretty much the only scenario I could find where extra special defense EVs come in handy tbh

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
I thought you wanted Tangy to avoid a 2HKO :o well w/e, that works, thank you ^.^

Ok, so some QC people were chatting about this a couple days ago, and I guess nobody got around to specifically posting on it, so I s'pose I'll just weigh in / give a general summary of what was said there (if I miss something / misrepresent anybody, pls let me know, I'm goin' off memory here x_x)

In regards to the Defensive set:
  • Focus Blast should be relegated to AC, with Hidden Power Fire being moved to the primary slash and either HP Fighting or EQ (there wasn't a unanimous consensus there iirc) being given secondary slash; the move that isn't used here should find a spot in AC as well. The rational behind this is, in essence, HP Fire has more universal application, and hitting stuff like Esca on the switch, Ferroseed overall, etc., is pretty significant. The reason to use HP Fighting > Focus Blast on the defensive set is, statistically speaking, Pokemon such as Sub Bouffalant / Sawsbuck will beat Tangrowth 1v1, as it will connect 4 out of 8 times on average, effectively being PP stalled by subbing down, a problem HP Fighting doesn't experience. Earthquake offers similar coverage v.Steel-types, while also deterring comfortable switch-ins from Entei / Emboar. I lean towards making the slash HP Fire / Fighting, and putting EQ / FB in AC for the reasons that it both avoids a gross triple nature slash and that EQ is fairly less useful to the set (as Fire-types are inherently strained to switch into such a recurring defensive threat considering their hazards weakness), though other QC members can weigh in on that.
  • Most people were generally inclined to agree that Leech Seed is AC material, rather than a main slash; the chip damage is nice, but aside from chipping away at Druddigon a little more comfortably, it doesn't accomplish much. For now I'd simply relegate it to AC, though other might want to replace it with an alternate move of some kind.
  • Mention a large benefit to running Giga Drain > Power Whip is that Tangrowth doesn't compromise itself as much in switching into Scald burns, which can allow it to more comfortably chip away at 'mons like Alomomola if need be.
  • I dislike the mentions of Fire-types, as it comes across mostly as generalized FWG core bandwagoning :/ Perhaps they could be mentioned for the reason that they can apply pressure to other [specially-inclined] Grass-types, which can generally take advantage of Tangrowth post-Sleep Powder (Roselia spikes up on it, Lilligant can grab a QD, Amoonguss could do basically anything, etc.), but I don't want something there just on the merit of a popular concept alone. Fire-types don't even offer much in terms of defensive synergy to such core aside from something to resist Fire+Grass coverage, its application is largely offensive, so it doesn't make sense to include it so vigorously in mentions of a defensively-inclined Pokemon.
As for the offensive set:
  • Neither min.Speed Poliwrath nor Magneton are being recognized in their respective analyses, with defensive Poliwrath running a - Speed nature and SpDef Magneton being removed in the recent revamp, so it would be best to simply drop it down to outpace min.Speed Lanturn, which would require 144 Speed EVs (assuming for HP Rock).
  • I agree with those who have stated that Life Orb is more pertinent than Choice Specs; in risking that I might be overlooking some significant KO's that Choice Specs ascertains (and if I am, by all means say so '~'), I don't see why one would rather it to the option to switch up moves, especially when Regenerator will accommodate for the LO recoil and hazards damage under normal circumstances.
  • When mentioning HP Fire, I would address Escavalier, and perhaps the ability to hit other Steel-types with 100% accuracy, as well, since they are major draws. Hitting Fire-types w/HP Rock is all well and good, but with the exception of Moltres, these Pokemon are all getting pegged rather well by Focus Blast, meaning that it usually all comes down to what you want to risk Focus Blast having to hit.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about the "physical attackers" mention in the partners section, as it seems to insinuate that not only that special walls will be staying in on these Pokemon, which is highly unrealistic. You could mention Gallade for the reason that it can (at times) bait and KO Amoonguss for Tangrowth, and can draw in 'mons like SpDef Spiritomb for it to come in on, or perhaps Absol, who can either Pursuit trap these special walls for solid chip or bait Escavalier to KO w/Fire Blast, but saying Gallade is good because it can KO Clefable (or something that isn't a total exaggeration of what you're saying :>) is a bit of a stretch imo.
It might not hurt to mention the tier's active preparation for sleep inducers, both in Overview and C&C, since it's pretty relevant to Tangrowth. Moreover, it probably wouldn't hurt to toss mention of Sigilyph in C&C, being resilient enough to switch into even Specs HP Rock if given a reasonable HP investment, fast enough to outlast them w/Roost cycles, and strong enough to take it out comfortably w/Heat Wave or Psychic(s).

Sorry for this being such a chore, I'll admit I'm being fairly nit-picky here :x

Ok, I suppose I'll chime in here, if that's all the same with everyone here. To establish transparency here, I am not a veteran practitioner of defensive Tangrowth, and am under the impression that it is indeed "overrated"; I feel as though the utilities it provides, in tandem with its longevity, are better exercised in an offensive manner, and the loss in bulk can often be accounted for just fine in team-building / EV specialization. That being said, I couldn't accurately state that defensive Tangrowth is strictly "bad", nor necessarily worse than the offensive set (though there is still a reasonable chance it is worth being moved down). I typically dislike arguments like "x is bad because popular pokemon y and z take it on well", because that can be just as indicative of the potency of a Pokémon. Some physically-based Pokémon, such as Entei, are better for the reason that they can break through Tangrowth. Similar points can be made of lure 'mons, including the previously mentioned Fire Blast Absol / Aerodactyl. Would these 'mons still see use if defensive Tangrowth wasn't popular or, more importantly, good? Probably, they're still solid 'mons in their own rights, but Tangrowth is still a very prominent target in all this, which is a testament to its effectiveness as a defensive threat. By that same merit, a factor in why the offensive set is as good as it is can be tied to a level of surprise factor, with many anticipating a defensive set initially. In fact, similar arguments have been made of Smeargle, but the fact that its particular niche is in such high demand that it still remained in the mainstream (albeit somewhat less so) reflects similarly upon Tangrowth: a blanket defensive pivot, capable of checking a reasonable amount of the physical-inclined threats of the tier while maintaining reasonable offensive presence. Again, I'm necessarily saying defensive Tangrowth is deserving of primary set, but would like to play devil's advocate for point of reference.

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Icecream, I didn't mean to brush off your suggestion of giving the offensive set the first spot, it was just that Swamp-Rocket deemed the defensive set worthy its position (and since he's a QC member, he probably consulted other veteran players as well, but idk). By the arguments you've given I'm leaning towards making offensive Tangrowth the first set. I'll wait until the QC team gives further input (thanks col49 ^.^) before changing it, but let it be known that neither the QC team or myself have completely ignored your suggestions. Thanks for the feedback guys :)

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I personally think that both Tangrowth sets are good and I'm not really too concerned over which one is listed first, although I do think that the defensive set is slightly better. Tangrowth still checks a large amount of physical attackers like Kabutops and Gallade along with Bouffalant and other Fighting-types that are unique among RU physical walls. However, I think the main draw of Tangrowth over other physical walls are its unique attacking and support options. Alomomola, Steelix, Poliwrath, and Qwilfish have almost no offensive presence and are very limited in what they can run. On the other hand, Tangrowth is very versatile in the moves that it can run and can run Sleep Powder or Stun Spore to spread status effectively, and can go mixed with Power Whip / Hidden Power. You can also run things like Knock Off, Earthquake, Leech Seed, and specific Hidden Powers. Tangrowth has suffered from the rise in special Fire moves among physical attackers and the rise of Alomomola, but it is still a very good physical tank which is unbreakable for many physical attackers. Also, you can run some Special Defense too and check some of the Special Grasses like Rotom-C and Sceptile. Overall, the defensive set is not as good as it once was (it used to be extremely good, for reference), but it is still good.

Also, HP Fighting should be slashed first, because HP Fire's only real use imo is to hit Durant on the switch, otherwise it's inferior to HP Fighting when you're using Power Whip. HP Fighting can hit Aggron, break Bouffalant's Sub, retain coverage on Ferroseed, Steelix and Klinklang, and give you an accurate hit on Kabutops when it's at like 70%. HP Fire's most notable other use is on Escavalier, which isn't that useful because it won't OHKO, Occa Berry is common, and in general is a pretty poor way of dealing with it.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I think Leech Seed should remain slashed with Synthesis; I've personally used it a lot on Tangrowth and really enjoy the forced switches, particularly on Spikes stacking teams. The "chip damage" is extrapolated almost ten-fold with a layer or two of Spikes + Stealth Rock + the extra healing can even allow some Pokemon that are moderately bulky like Golurk that's commonly found on balance teams avoid certain 2HKOs and cancels out SR damage for those neutral to it. With Leech Seed/Giga Drain/Regenerator/Leftovers all going at once I've never felt like I needed Synthesis. The healing is probably better for Power Whip sets, but I've always found Giga Drain to be better idk I won't argue on that point.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A couple of things:

• Amoonguss also gives Tangrowth competition in the sense that it also has actual special bulk, unlike Tangrowth
  • Defensive Tangrowth is also flexible in what it can run, unlike other walls which have zero versatility, which gives it the edge as a physical wall
  • Bouffalant is spelled with only one L
  • Where is Slowking as a teammate for defensive Growth, smh
  • Qwilfish and Regirock can also provide hazards, which is especially useful with Leech Seed
  • Durant and Scolipede in C&C, both also wreck Tangrowth and TanKing cores in general
  • Sigi can also KO with Air Slash if it has it
  • You meant Sleep absorbers, right?
One that's done this is good, so you can consider this...

QC Approved 1/3

Ok, I have free time =) Again, sorta nitpicky, but change is hard, and therefore something I will not do n_n

While referencing Tangrowth's offensive stats in the overview, it would be worth noting that, in addition to allowing it to comfortably fulfill a strictly offensive role, it also makes it less susceptible to opposing set-up post-Sleep Powder, as opposing to alternatives, such as Amoonguss and Alomomola, that need to be either specifically teched or (in the case of Amoonguss) EV'd offensively to accommodate for their comparatively low offensive presence.

I trust that you'll go into a bit more detail w/the application of the moves mentioned in AC, but I just thought I'd make note of it :> I'd also kinda like to see mention of Lanturn as a partner to the offensive set; Lanturn offers a solid defensive pivot that compliments Tangrowth's typing and hit-and-run nature quite nicely, and is capable of quickly re-ascertaining momentum for it via Volt Switch (ex: Tangrowth Leaf Storms into Entei or something, goes to Lanturn, Volt Switches for better match-up, rinse and repeat). Furthermore, it is capable of chipping away at opposing Grass-types / Druddigon w/Toxic or Scald burn damage realistically, so this is one of the few scenarios in which Lanturn is an actively superior bulky Water-type, which I think should get noted '-' Also, change the bit about Absol in AC to reflect that it either using Pursuit or Fire Blast, rather than both, since it is quite uncommon (though not necessarily bad) for both of them to be run in the same set. Sorry if I phrased that properly when I brought it up x_x

I'd also do some rearranging of C&C to reflect that some Pokemon can much more comfortably check / counter Tangrowth after Sleep Clause is active, since it is somewhat of a big part of combatting it; Sleep Talk Fire-types, Magmortar specifically (Vital Spirit), and Sleep Talk Drudd (CB / SpDef, though the former does struggle to 2HKO defensive Tangrowth without consecutive Outrage pulls and some reasonable prior damage) should get pushed up a bit, then Sap Sipper 'mons (mentioning the risks associated w/playing around and switching into Fighting-type coverage), followed by the rest as per usual.

and yeah, tanking is lame, slowguss is cool, but I guess the kids like it, so I won't complain

qc 2 / 3

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented, thanks! Also sorry for the wait, been kinda busy irl due to a lot of schoolwork before the break. I'll have this written up later next week/beginning of the week after Christmas (sorry for that as well, Christmas + my bday + parent's anniversary is coming so I'm going to be spending time with my family for the most part).

Edit: 500th post woohoo~ ^.^

Last edited:

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Whoops, guess XY got the better of me :< This is written up now and ready for its final check though ^.^

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Special Attacker AC]

Absol rarely runs both Pursuit and Fire Blast on the same set, so mention that it will usually only have one of these utility offensive moves on a set. It's probably best to use an Absol with Pursuit since Fire-types such as Moltres and Emboar have good synergy with Tangrowth anyway.

Add/modify this tidbit, and consider this:

QC Approved 3/3 Good work on this Rohail .

GP check.
Add
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p>The first thing people see when looking at Tangrowth are its huge base stats, with four out of its six base stats being over base 100, a rare sight to see in RU. Among those stats lies lie a high Defense and respectable offenses, which allow Tangrowth to function as an effective tank. The biggest boon to Tangrowth, however, is its Regenerator ability, which allows it to regain 1/3 one-third of its maximum health upon switching out, making it much harder to kill. To complement all that, Tangrowth gets access to Sleep Powder, which effectively lets it incapacitate a Pokemon for the rest of the battle. Unfortunately, the two stats that aren't up-to-par are those that burden it the most; a low Special Defense and Speed makes it easy to kill with special attacks. Tangrowth also faces stiff competition from Amoonguss, which sports an actual Special Defense stat, the more accurate Spore, a better defensive typing, and the same Regenerator ability; however, Tangrowth's higher offenses lets it beat most setup sweepers even after sleep clause has been activated. The metagame has also prepared for sleep inducers, which lowers the impact of Tangrowth's main weapon: Sleep Powder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although this set has seen better days, it still remains as Tangrowth's most effective set, utilizing its high Defense and offenses along with the ability to keep switching thanks to Regenerator to make Tangrowth a tough vine to break. Furthermore, Tangrowth's larger offensive presence gives it an edge over other walls. Sleep Powder is Tangrowth's most valuable move, having the ability to render a would-be threat useless for the entire match; the only thing lacking is its accuracy, as a miss can lead to disastrous results. Power Whip is a strong STAB attack that gives Tangrowth the ability to break past Cryogonal and Slowking while maintaining the ability to check Gallade, something Amoonguss cannot boast to do. Giga Drain is a worthy alternative if you desire extra healing as well as the ability to switch into Scalds without fear of weakening Tangrowth's main STAB move. Hidden Power Fighting is used to maim Aggron while landing a strong hit on Sap Sipper users such as Boufallant Bouffalant and Sawsbuck; Hidden Power Fire, however, can be used instead to decimate Durant while getting much stronger hit on Escavalier and Ferroseed, though it should be noted that Hidden Power Fighting deals with the latter just fine. The last slot is assigned for extra healing, (semicolon) whether it be from Synthesis or Leech Seed is up to you. Synthesis is Tangrowth's most reliable way of healing, as it doesn't force Tangrowth to switch out. Leech Seed, however, provides chip-(RH)damage as well as a way to force threats out, and is especially useful if Tangrowth is used on a Spikes-stacking team; furthermore, Leech Seed can be used as a way to provide healing for partners that don't have access to reliable recovery, such as Druddigon and Golurk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>16 Special Defense EVs are used to avoid the 2HKO OHKO (...) from Absol's Fire Blast, with the rest thrown into Defense and HP for better durability. The choice of nature depends on your choice of STAB move; if Tangrowth is using Power Whip, then use Relaxed, (semicolon) otherwise, use Bold. Hidden Power Rock can be used to catch Moltres and other Fire-types on the switch, but Sleep Powder does that well enough and Hidden Power Fire or Fighting provide more utility. In a similar case, Rock Slide can be used so that Hidden Power Fire or Fighting isn't sacrificed, but again, the moves mentioned above are overall more useful. Stun Spore and Knock Off are other useful support options, but are outclassed by those listed. Earthquake can be used in the second slot to get a hard hit on Fire-types such as Emboar and Magmortar, but Tangrowth is better off using the moves mentioned above. Similarly, Focus Blast can be used over Hidden Power Fighting for more power, but makes dealing with Substitute Boufallant Bouffalant and Sawsbuck a luck-driven game, as they can just fish for misses and PP stall Tangrowth.</p>

<p>As for partners, Tangrowth appreciates Pokemon that can switch into special Fire-type attacks; specially defensive Regirock, defensive Druddigon, and Thick Fat Miltank fit the bill, and they can also set up Stealth Rock. Qwilfish and Poliwrath can also switch into Fire-types as well as Bug-types; the former can even set up Spikes, which is useful (can get chip dmg/work well with switches/lol idk) in conjunction with Leech Seed. Slowking forms a solid and sturdy Regenerator core with Tangrowth to make a solid and hard to take down Regenerator core, as they have great synergy together. Pokemon to that deal with the likes of Lilligant, Roselia, and Amoonguss are also appreciated, as Tangrowth is hard-walled by them; Fire-types such as Moltres and Emboar are good choices for that, and the latter can even act as a sleep absorber with Sleep Talk.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Tangrowth puts its high Special Attack stat to good use with this set, as it lets Tangrowth go completely offensive while still offering a nice cushion for physical blows. Leaf Storm is the STAB move of choice for this set, as it provides immense power coming off of Tangrowth's boosted Special Attack; the drop in Special Attack isn't too worrisome, as Tangrowth likes switching due to Regenerator healing. Focus Blast hits annoying Steel-types for solid damage, securing an OHKO on Steelix and Ferroseed, the latter after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types such as Moltres and Magmortar for super effective damage, OHKOing the former and having a high chance to OHKO the latter after Stealth Rock, which is guaranteed if Tangrowth uses Choice Specs. While using Sleep Powder seems weird on a set with Choice Specs as one of the recommended items, its potential to cripple a threat for the rest of the match is invaluable; and,(AC) as mentioned before, Tangrowth doesn't mind switching, as it will only be healing HP thanks to Regenerator.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize power and let Tangrowth outspeed everything up to minimum Speed Lanturn, with the rest thrown in HP for overall bulk. Life Orb offers a nice boost in power, with Regenerator off-setting Life Orb recoil more often than not. Choice Specs can be used instead for immense power at the cost of being locked into a move,(semicolon) however, Tangrowth will be switching often anyway, so that isn't a big problem. Hidden Power Fire is a useful move to hit Escavalier hard while getting rid of other Steel-types with more reliability than Focus Blast, but Hidden Power Rock's ability to hit Moltres and other Fire-types such as Entei and Typhlosion is usually superior. Giga Drain can be used over Leaf Storm, but the latter's power often overshadows the former's healing on this particular set.</p>

<p>Despite the increase in power, Amoonguss and Roselia are still stops to Tangrowth, which makes having a Fire-type partner such as Moltres or Emboar useful; in return, Tangrowth blasts Water-types out of the way for them to sweep. Gallade is another good partner to get rid of Amoonguss, and also lures out Spiritomb for Tangrowth to switch in on. Similarly, Absol can Pursuit-(RH)trap the likes of Uxie while also luring out and getting rid of Escavalier with Fire Blast, but Absol rarely every runs both those moves on the same set, so just Pursuit-(RH)trapping and having Fire-type partners dispose of Escavalier is good enough. Lanturn also pairs well with Tangrowth, as they have solid synergy together; Lanturn can also get Tangrowth in safely with a slow Volt Switch, while also providing chip damage on Druddigon and other Grass-types with Toxic and Scald burns. Entry hazard setters are useful so that Tangrowth can get KOs such as that on Ferroseed with Focus Blast and Magmortar with Hidden Power Rock; Qwilfish and Rhydon are good for this, and they also have good synergy with Tangrowth. Choice Specs Slowking and Tangrowth make for an excellent Regenerator core, as they share good synergy and hit like trucks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Chlorophyll is a great ability to use on a sun team, as it alleviates Tangrowth's Speed issues; Tangrowth even has access to Growth, Solarbeam SolarBeam, and Synthesis to further take advantage of the sun. A Swords Dance set is semi-viable, as Tangrowth has a great base 100 Attack stat to utilize it with, but Tangrowth's Speed presents itself as a major issue, and it's better off using its higher base 110 Special Attack stat to go on the offensive. Tangrowth also has access to some other support moves such as Toxic and Reflect, but they're mostly outclassed by the moves listed above.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Magmortar is a great check to Tangrowth, as it can hit Tangrowth on its weaker Special Defense with STAB super effective Fire-type attacks, and doesn't care for about Sleep Powder thanks to Vital Spirit,(AC) either. Other specially offensive Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Moltres are also great at dealing with Tangrowth, but they must be vary of Sleep Powder and Hidden Power Rock. Sap Sipper users such as Boufallant Bouffalant and Sawsbuck can come in on Sleep Powder and Tangrowth's other STAB attacks and get a free Attack boost out of them, but they have to avoid Focus Blast, Hidden Power Fighting, and in the latter's case, Hidden Power Fire as well. Galvantula can hit both Tangrowth and its most common partner, Slowking, with STAB super effective Bug-type attacks. Bulky Sigilyph is resilient enough to tank even a Choice Specs-boosted Hidden Power Rock, outlast them Tangrowth with Roost, and then proceed to KO Tangrowth with Air Slash, Heat Wave, and even Psychic. Scolipede and Durant need to watch out for Hidden Power Fire, but can otherwise to do a number on both Tangrowth and Slowking, effectively defeating the core. Other Fire-types such as Entei and Emboar can deal with Tangrowth despite them being physically based, as a Choice Band Flare Blitz from either of them will leave Tangrowth crippled. Sleep absorbers, like the two mentioned above, and even Choice Band or specially defensive Druddigon can get past Tangrowth's most threatening weapon, Sleep Powder. Roselia, Amoonguss, and Clefable can wall Tangrowth with ease once sleep clause has been activated, and can then proceed to take it out with Hidden Power Fire or Fire Blast if they carry it. Generally any special attacker that has a hard-hitting move can force Tangrowth out, but be careful of Sleep Powder immobilizing said attacker, and know that Tangrowth doesn't mind being forced out thanks to Regenerator.</p>

GP 1/2!

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rohail

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>The first thing people see when looking at Tangrowth are its huge base stats, with four out of its six base stats being over base 100, a rare sight to see in RU. Among those stats lie a high Defense and respectable offenses, which allow Tangrowth to function as an effective tank. The biggest boon to Tangrowth, however, is its Regenerator ability, which allows it to regain one-third of its maximum health upon switching out, making it much harder to kill. To complement all that, Tangrowth gets access to Sleep Powder, which effectively lets it incapacitate a Pokemon for the rest of the battle. Unfortunately, the two stats that aren't up-to-par are those that burden it the most; a low Special Defense and Speed makes it easy to kill with special attacks. Tangrowth also faces stiff competition from Amoonguss, which sports an actual Special Defense stat, the more accurate Spore, a better defensive typing, and the same Regenerator ability; however, Tangrowth's higher offenses lets it beat most setup sweepers even after sleep clause has been activated. The metagame has also prepared for sleep inducers, which lowers the impact of Tangrowth's main weapon: Sleep Powder.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although this set has seen better days, it still remains Tangrowth's most effective set, utilizing its high Defense and offenses along with the ability to keep switching thanks to Regenerator to make Tangrowth a tough vine to break. Furthermore, Tangrowth's larger offensive presence gives it an edge over other walls. Sleep Powder is Tangrowth's most valuable move, having the ability to render a would-be threat useless for the entire match; the only thing lacking is its accuracy, as a miss can lead to disastrous results. Power Whip is a strong STAB attack that gives Tangrowth the ability to break past Cryogonal and Slowking while maintaining the ability to check Gallade, something Amoonguss cannot boast of to do. Giga Drain is a worthy alternative if you desire extra healing as well as the ability to switch into Scalds without fear of weakening Tangrowth's main STAB move. Hidden Power Fighting is used to maim Aggron while landing a strong hit on Sap Sipper users such as Bouffalant and Sawsbuck, but Hidden Power Fire, however, can be used instead to decimate Durant while getting much stronger hit on Escavalier and Ferroseed, though it should be noted that Hidden Power Fighting deals with the latter just fine. The last slot is assigned for extra healing; whether it be from Synthesis or Leech Seed is up to you. Synthesis is Tangrowth's most reliable way of healing, as it doesn't force Tangrowth to switch out. Leech Seed, however, provides chip damage as well as a way to force threats out, and is especially useful if Tangrowth is used on a Spikes-stacking team; furthermore, Leech Seed can be used as a way to provide healing for partners that don't have access to reliable recovery, such as Druddigon and Golurk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>16 Special Defense EVs are used to avoid the OHKO from Absol's Fire Blast, (RC) with the rest thrown into Defense and HP for better durability. The choice of nature depends on your choice of STAB move; if Tangrowth is using Power Whip, use Relaxed, (comma) otherwise, use Bold. Hidden Power Rock can be used to catch Moltres and other Fire-types on the switch, but Sleep Powder does that well enough and Hidden Power Fire or Fighting provide more utility. In a similar case, Rock Slide can be used so Hidden Power Fire or Fighting isn't sacrificed, but again, the moves mentioned above are overall more useful. Stun Spore and Knock Off are other useful support options, but are outclassed by those listed. Earthquake can be used in the second slot to get a hard hit on Fire-types such as Emboar and Magmortar, but Tangrowth is better off using the moves mentioned above. Similarly, Focus Blast can be used over Hidden Power Fighting for more power, but makes dealing with Substitute Bouffalant and Sawsbuck a luck-driven game, as they can just fish for misses and PP stall Tangrowth.</p>

<p>As for partners, Tangrowth appreciates Pokemon that can switch into special Fire-type attacks; specially defensive Regirock, defensive Druddigon, and Thick Fat Miltank fit the bill, and they can also set up Stealth Rock. Qwilfish and Poliwrath can also switch into Fire-types as well as Bug-types; the former can even set up Spikes, which work great with Leech Seed since as it forces switches. Slowking forms a solid and sturdy Regenerator core with Tangrowth, as they have great synergy together. Pokemon that deal with the likes of Lilligant, Roselia, and Amoonguss are also appreciated, as Tangrowth is hard walled by them; Fire-types such as Moltres and Emboar are good choices for that, and the latter can even act as a sleep absorber with Sleep Talk.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Tangrowth puts its high Special Attack stat to good use with this set, as it lets Tangrowth go completely offensive while still offering a nice cushion for physical blows. Leaf Storm is the STAB move of choice for this set, as it provides immense power coming off of Tangrowth's boosted Special Attack; the drop in Special Attack isn't too worrisome, as Tangrowth likes switching due to Regenerator healing. Focus Blast hits annoying Steel-types for solid damage, securing an OHKO on Steelix and Ferroseed, the latter after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Hidden Power Rock hits Fire-types such as Moltres and Magmortar for super effective damage, OHKOing the former and having a high chance to OHKO the latter after Stealth Rock, which is guaranteed if Tangrowth uses Choice Specs. While using Sleep Powder seems weird on a set with Choice Specs as one of the recommended items, its potential to cripple a threat for the rest of the match is invaluable; and, as mentioned before, Tangrowth doesn't mind switching, as it will only be healing HP thanks to Regenerator.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs maximize power and let Tangrowth outspeed everything up to minimum Speed Lanturn, (RC) with the rest thrown in HP for overall bulk. Life Orb offers a nice boost in power, with Regenerator offsetting Life Orb recoil more often than not. Choice Specs can be used instead for immense power at the cost of being locked into a move; however, Tangrowth will be switching often anyway, so that isn't a big problem. Hidden Power Fire is a useful move to hit Escavalier hard while getting rid of other Steel-types with more reliability than Focus Blast, but Hidden Power Rock's ability to hit Moltres and other Fire-types such as Entei and Typhlosion is usually superior. Giga Drain can be used over Leaf Storm, but the latter's power often overshadows the former's healing on this particular set.</p>

<p>Despite the increase in power, Amoonguss and Roselia are still stops to Tangrowth, which makes having a Fire-type partner such as Moltres or Emboar useful. In return, Tangrowth blasts Water-types out of the way for them to sweep. Gallade is another good partner to get rid of Amoonguss, (RC) and also lures out Spiritomb for Tangrowth to switch in on. Similarly, Absol can Pursuit trap the likes of Uxie while also luring out and getting rid of Escavalier with Fire Blast, but Absol rarely every runs both those moves on the same set, so just Pursuit trapping and having Fire-type partners dispose of Escavalier is good enough. Lanturn also pairs well with Tangrowth, as they have solid synergy together; Lanturn can also get Tangrowth in safely with a slow Volt Switch, while also providing chip damage on Druddigon and other Grass-types with Toxic and Scald burns. Entry hazard setters are useful so that Tangrowth can get KOs such as that on Ferroseed with Focus Blast and Magmortar with Hidden Power Rock; Qwilfish and Rhydon are good for this, and they also have good synergy with Tangrowth. Choice Specs Slowking and Tangrowth make for an excellent Regenerator core, as they share good synergy and hit like trucks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Chlorophyll is a great ability to use on a sun team, as it alleviates Tangrowth's Speed issues; Tangrowth even has access to Growth, SolarBeam, and Synthesis to further take advantage of the sun. A Swords Dance set is semi-viable, as Tangrowth has a great base 100 Attack stat to utilize it with, but Tangrowth's Speed presents itself as a major issue, and it's better off using its higher base 110 Special Attack stat to go on the offensive. Tangrowth also has access to some other support moves such as Toxic and Reflect, but they're mostly outclassed by the moves listed above.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Magmortar is a great check to Tangrowth, as it can hit Tangrowth on its weaker Special Defense with STAB super effective Fire-type attacks, and doesn't care about Sleep Powder thanks to Vital Spirit, either. Other specially offensive Fire-types such as Typhlosion and Moltres are also great at dealing with Tangrowth, but they must be vary of Sleep Powder and Hidden Power Rock. Sap Sipper users such as Bouffalant and Sawsbuck can come in on Sleep Powder and Tangrowth's other STAB attacks and get a free Attack boost out of them, but they have to avoid Focus Blast, Hidden Power Fighting, and in the latter's case, Hidden Power Fire as well. Galvantula can hit both Tangrowth and its most common partner, Slowking, with STAB super effective Bug-type attacks. Bulky Sigilyph is resilient enough to tank even a Choice Specs-boosted Hidden Power Rock, outlast them with Roost, and then proceed to KO Tangrowth with Air Slash, Heat Wave, and or even Psychic. Scolipede and Durant need to watch out for Hidden Power Fire, but can otherwise do a number on both Tangrowth and Slowking, effectively defeating the core. Other Fire-types such as Entei and Emboar can deal with Tangrowth despite them being physically based, as a Choice Band-boosted Flare Blitz from either of them will leave Tangrowth crippled. Sleep absorbers, like the two mentioned above, and even Choice Band or specially defensive Druddigon can get past Tangrowth's most threatening weapon, Sleep Powder. Roselia, Amoonguss, and Clefable can wall Tangrowth with ease once sleep clause has been activated, (RC) and can then proceed to take it out with Hidden Power Fire or Fire Blast if they carry it. Generally any special attacker that has a hard-hitting move can force Tangrowth out, but be careful of Sleep Powder immobilizing said attacker, and know that Tangrowth doesn't mind being forced out thanks to Regenerator.</p>

2/2

Don't use "however" after a semicolon tho 9.9

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)