Tanks for the Memories: Bulky Offense Wins

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by BlackRoija, May 14, 2013.

1. BlackRoija

BlackRoija

This team was designed around a core that's nearly impossible to OHKO if given a turn or two to get things established. Teams that spend their first couple turns of the battle poorly end up paying for it pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

Scrafty @ Leftovers
    Shed Skin
    Impish
    - Toxic
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Bulk Up
    252 HP, 8 Atk, 248 SpDef

This team revolves around this ghetto boy. Barring a STAB or CB Superpower, he'll be around for turn 2, at which point he'll have a Bulk Up boost or a turn to boost after Toxic encourages a switch. Special attacks rarely make his HP dip below half, especially with Aura Sphere and Focus Blast or flying-type special attacks in general being not-super-common. This is from the heavy Sp Def investment. Shed Skin is superior to Moxie since he'll be getting an attack boost from BU anyway and he needs to be able to shrug off paralysis, burn, and poison. Near-unstoppable once he gets going.

[​IMG]

Cloyster @ White Herb
    Skill Link
    Jolly
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Razor Shell
    4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe

My second boosting sweeper option. If Cloyster isn't OHKO'd or crippled with status after turn 1, Shell Smash goes up and I usually get a forfeit soon after. Feared for good reason.

[​IMG]

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    Impish
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Ice Shard
    252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe

I chose Donphan to be my SR-setter/rapid spinner for two reasons: immunity to electric and Ice Shard. I rarely use EQ; his value lies in picking off weakened dragons, or sometimes Gliscor. Sturdy ensures I get an SR or a RS with a chance to shard afterwards.

[​IMG]

Metagross @ Life Orb
    Clear Body
    Naughty
    - Meteor Mash
    - HP Fire
    - Grass Knot
    - Zen Headbutt/EQ
    252 Atk, 228 SpAtk, 24 Spe

This is probably the weakest link of my team. He doesn't come out too often, but when he does he can't seem to hit hard enough, with the exception of the special attacks. Most don't see an HP fire coming, and down goes their Scizor/Forretress/Ferrothorn. Good for the occasional surprise kill but status tends to shut him down pretty quick. I can't decide between EQ and ZH; I haven't had to use ZH too much, but it gets STAB and hurts fighting-types more.

[​IMG]

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Timid
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Will-o-wisp
    - Substitute
    252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 Def

Hits fast and hits hard, which is what he needs to do if Scrafty or Cloyster are up against a problematic physically-oriented foe. WoW shuts 'em down, or Gengar can just kill them outright with strong Shadow Balls. A very valuable asset.

[​IMG]

Latias @ Light Clay
    Timid
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Healing Wish
    - Draco Meteor
    252 HP, 4 SpAtk, 252 Spe

Latias is often a lead, laying down oh-so-appreciated screens so that Scrafty can shrug off pretty much anything while he bulks up. Draco Meteor gets surprise kills on occasion against dragons. If the first go around doesn't work for one of my boosters, healing wish usually helps the second one succeed.

My #1 problem to date is Choice Scarf Rotom-W. Trick kills my boosters, and it's otherwise pretty hard to kill him off. It'd help if Metagross, or a replacement, could effectively counter it. Grass Knot doesn't hit hard enough. Comments greatly appreciated.
  2. deadflame

deadflame

Hi

Nice team, first of all. I like your Toxic plus Bulk Up strategy on Scrafty.

I would replace Metagross with Celebi. He's superior against Rotom-W, Keldeo, Sheer Force Landorus, etc. I would go with either Specially Defensive or Offensive with Leaf Storm and Psychic. You could also go for the Nasty Plot version. I would definitely put Celebi in there, though. He checks so many Pokemon, and adds great synergy to most teams.

Kudos for using Scrafty.
  3. AD Doity

AD Doity

Is Scrafty's nature supposed to be Careful, because there are no Def investments? Good team btw.
  4. GerMoj

GerMoj

Nice team pal, but I can see some Fflaws here.

A Landorus-T plus Skarmory combo can stop your team since your only Special Attacker is Genger (He can be trapped by a Tyranitar, commonly seen with Skarmory.

Landorus T intimidates your boosters, giving Skarmory enough time to phaze them out wiith whirlwind. Also a good Skarmoru user can setup SR and use some whirlwinds to phaze your Donphan out, meaning a lot of harm to your team as Skarmory can escape from Gengar and can be wary of Metagross HP (Skarmory won´t switch in unless he knows there is no risk against Metagross)

Gengar is cool, he hits hard, he is fast and can sweep through weekeaned teams, but he really is no threat to defesnsive teamns. I suggest running Gothitelle over Gengar, this way you can trap Skarmory and boost easily.

I liked your Healing Wish Latias as I like the idea of giving any member a Second Chance. Latias is also Tyranitar check mated so be caerful with that.

For Gothitelle I suggest the Choice Scarf set, as he can Cripple many walls by tricking the oponente.

[​IMG]

Gothtiell @ Choice Scarf
    Shadow Tag Timid
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    ~ Psyshock / Psychic
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Hidden Power Fighting
    ~ Trick

Gothitelle can be a Suicide Trapper if the Enemyr runs Tyranitar, but Skarmory is a bigger threat to your.

Gliscor can also be a problem after Cloyster is down so I suggest running HP Ice over HP Fire on Metagross, giving GLiscor a naasty surprise.

You also have a bic Volcarona weakness, as it can outspeed every member of your team.
    With one Quiver Dance Scarfty will be 2HKO, and the rest of the team is a Sure OHKO with Bug Buzz, Fiery Dance and Giga Driain. Light Screen might help, but Toxic Stalling seems to be your only option against it besides boosting Cloyter first.

Overall, nice team. Good luck!
  5. BlackRoija

BlackRoija

Yeah I was considering Celebi too. Picked Metagross because I like his design more, but functionally Celebi would probably be better.

Scrafty is Impish to give him some defense before Bulk Up boosts. Since BU will boost def anyway, the EV investment went to SpDef to give him some all-around tanking ability.

Good call on the HP Ice; Gliscor has been a bit of an issue at times if Cloyster isn't around. I'll see how it works. Volcarona hasn't been an issue yet. Gothitelle seems to be an interesting option, I'll be sure to give it a run. Thanks!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)