move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: Fire Blast
ability: Sheer Force
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========
  • Rock Climb reaches a base power of 117 with Sheer Force, making it Tauros's strongest STAB move without any adverse effects. However, its accuracy can be a letdown at times.
  • Iron Tail hits Rock Types, Togetic, and Avalugg hard
  • Earthquake can be used for a more reliable move to hit Rock-types with, and it does more damage to Carracosta.
  • Zen Headbutt is used as it 2HKOes both Poliwrath and Throh
  • Fire Blast may seem out of place on a Pokemon with such a low Special Attack stat, however with its high base power after Sheer Force is taken into account it is powerful enough to 2HKO Tangela, Gourgeist-XL, and Avalugg after Stealth Rock, all of which would otherwise wall it.
  • Thunderbolt can be used to lure Pelipper.

Set Details
========
  • Life Orb is the go-to item for any wallbreaker, but coupled with Sheer Force, it is a fantastic item.
  • standard spread etc etc

Usage Tips
========
  • Come in on stuff you force out, which includes most special walls and most slower offensive Pokemon, and proceed to hit hard.
  • Tauros relies a bit on prediction to break through what it needs to, particularly with Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, as these moves need to hit their targets (Fighting / Grass-types respectively) on the switch in order of Tauros to actually beat them.

Team Options
========
  • While Stealth Rock is a near necessity on any competitive team, Tauros in particular needs its extra damage to be able to 2HKO Pokemon such as Avalugg and Tangela. Likewise, Spikes and Toxic Spikes support from the likes of Whirlipede and Roselia is also helpful in wearing the opposing team down.
  • Pokemon that appriciate wallbreaking, especially the luring in of Pokemon such as Avalugg, Gourgeist, and Tangela, are great partners to this set. Bouffalant and Carracosta are good examples of such Pokemon.
  • Sneasel is a decent partner as it beats the bulky Ghost-types that beat Tauros.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Double Edge
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: Return / Retaliate
ability: Intimidate
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========
  • Double Edge, despite its recoil, is the preferred main stab move as it gives Tauros the power it needs to be an effective revenge killer in situations where a weaker move would not be sufficient
  • Earthquake lets Tauros hit Pokemon such as Golem, Carracosta, and Bastiodon
  • Zen Headbutt gets coverage on Poliwrath and Throh, two incredibly important threats.
  • Return gives Tauros an easier time cleaning weakened teams when more power is not necessary.
  • Retaliate can be used to have a stronger move when revenge killing, but its low power makes it undesirable to be locked into and too weak to effectively clean with.
  • Pursuit can be used to trap Haunter, however it is very weak and relatively useless otherwise as other Ghost-types will be switching into this set, not out of it.

Set Details
========
  • Sheer Force can also be used in conjunction with Rock Climb to avoid Double Edge recoil, though the utility of Intimidate is usually too useful to pass up and the lower accuracy is very undesirable for a revenge killer.
  • standard spread etc etc

Usage Tips
========
  • This set functions as a great revenge killer and late game cleaner.
  • Take care to keep Tauros healthy throughout the match so it will be able to revenge kill something later. Be especially wary of Double Edge recoil, as it can put Tauros into KO range for priority moves from setup sweepers which it would otherwise be able to revenge kill, such as Swords Dance Sneasel and Shell Smash Carracosta.
  • Tauros's coverage moves allow it to beat Pokemon that would otherwise be able to wall it, but it is generally a good idea to revenge kill only with moves that can actually KO the Pokemon it is trying to revenge kill, as it is locking yourself into a move that could be walled by something else on the opponent's team is far less risky than not KOing a setup sweeper in a dangerous situation.

Team Options
========
  • Because it is such a great catch-all revenge killer, Choice Scarf Tauros fits on just about any offensive team that needs a revenge killer.
  • This set lacks the power to break through defensive teams, so pairing it with wallbreakers that can beat Pokemon such as Tangela, Avalugg, and Pelipper are appreciated. Examples of good wallbreakers include Choice Band Bouffalant, Choice Band Stoutland, Frogadier, and Heatmor.

Other Options
########
  • Sub Endeavor
  • Rock Slide / Stone Edge
  • Iron Head
  • Sub Work Up

Checks & Counters
########
  • Bulky Ghost-types
  • Solrock
  • Blanket physical walls such as Pelipper, Gourgeist, and Tangela can easily wall the Choice Scarf set, but fare quite a bit worse against the Life Orb set.

Last edited:
it faces competition from Bouffalant, it is also a normal-type with less speed, but higher bulk and Attack.

Best Choice Scarf user is a bit of a stretch, I'd recommend not including that.
What better scarf users even are there lol, scarf tauros is amazing

I'll change it to "one of" for now though.

it faces competition from Bouffalant, it is also a normal-type with less speed, but higher bulk and Attack.
meh, they serve different roles most of the time, as Bouffalant is usually an SD user and Tauros is more of a wallbreaker that excels against offense.

since i've used tauros a ton, i thought i'd mention a few things.

perhaps just me, but i've literally never seen any real use for stone edge on scarf tauros. i mean, realistically, couldn't identify a single thing it actually does in a real-game scenario, beyond perhaps hitting se targets slightly harder than double-edge whilst simultaneously not conceding a free switch for offensive ghost-types (well, ghost-types in general, technically, but gourgeist 'n defensive missy still take 0 - pretty much 0, so not sure how relevant that really is,,,). personally, i've found the most consistent moveset to be double-edge / return / eq / zen headbutt, since scarf tauros really doesn't ever need anything more coverage-wise, and being able to reserve its hp can help it clean v.offense with more consistency from time to time, leaving it healthy enough to retain that much more hp. also, adamant is far from bad, since scarf tauros isn't really too strong as is, and off-hand, the most you're losing out on is + speed, +2 barbaracle and assorted + speed scarf 100-ish 'mons, which isn't hugely significant (not to say barbaracle isn't notable). also, the same set w/rock climb > one stab move (usually return) and sheer force > intimidate is viable, and does show significantly better damage output for cleaning w/coverage moves, since as nice of ability intimidate is, it has limited practical application on a still fairly frail attacker that primarily plays as a cleaner and / or revenge killer.

another set i'd not is the sub-endeavor set, which is a p.solid breaker in this meta. simple lo set @ sheer force w/the moveset sub / endeavor / rock climb / zen headbutt busts through so many squads, especially w/tspikes support, since it maintains most of the breaking power of the standard lo attacker, trading the ability to hit probopass for more resilience towards revenge killers and the ability to essentially trade with a member of an opponent's defensive core, which is kinda amazing for offense.

since i've used tauros a ton, i thought i'd mention a few things.

perhaps just me, but i've literally never seen any real use for stone edge on scarf tauros. i mean, realistically, couldn't identify a single thing it actually does in a real-game scenario, beyond perhaps hitting se targets slightly harder than double-edge whilst simultaneously not conceding a free switch for offensive ghost-types (well, ghost-types in general, technically, but gourgeist 'n defensive missy still take 0 - pretty much 0, so not sure how relevant that really is,,,). personally, i've found the most consistent moveset to be double-edge / return / eq / zen headbutt, since scarf tauros really doesn't ever need anything more coverage-wise, and being able to reserve its hp can help it clean v.offense with more consistency from time to time, leaving it healthy enough to retain that much more hp. also, adamant is far from bad, since scarf tauros isn't really too strong as is, and off-hand, the most you're losing out on is + speed, +2 barbaracle and assorted + speed scarf 100-ish 'mons, which isn't hugely significant (not to say barbaracle isn't notable). also, the same set w/rock climb > one stab move (usually return) and sheer force > intimidate is viable, and does show significantly better damage output for cleaning w/coverage moves, since as nice of ability intimidate is, it has limited practical application on a still fairly frail attacker that primarily plays as a cleaner and / or revenge killer.

another set i'd not is the sub-endeavor set, which is a p.solid breaker in this meta. simple lo set @ sheer force w/the moveset sub / endeavor / rock climb / zen headbutt busts through so many squads, especially w/tspikes support, since it maintains most of the breaking power of the standard lo attacker, trading the ability to hit probopass for more resilience towards revenge killers and the ability to essentially trade with a member of an opponent's defensive core, which is kinda amazing for offense.
Just saying, I tested Sub Endeavor Tauros and asked for it when I wrote the NU analysis, I know NU is not PU but Sub Endeavor is terrible. Tauros doesn't have enough bulk to make fully use of the set, and can only KO an opponent when Toxic Spikes are up.

Also, Stone Edge hits quite a lot of targets harder than Double-Edge. Scyther can't be hit very effectivelly when Eviolite by Double-Edge, and Stone Edge OHKOes, i think. Same goes for Articuno. You could also run Rock Slide better for the extra Life Orb Sheer Force boost, and slightly more accuracy.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just saying, I tested Sub Endeavor Tauros and asked for it when I wrote the NU analysis, I know NU is not PU but Sub Endeavor is terrible. Tauros doesn't have enough bulk to make fully use of the set, and can only KO an opponent when Toxic Spikes are up.

Also, Stone Edge hits quite a lot of targets harder than Double-Edge. Scyther can't be hit very effectivelly when Eviolite by Double-Edge, and Stone Edge OHKOes, i think. Same goes for Articuno. You could also run Rock Slide better for the extra Life Orb Sheer Force boost, and slightly more accuracy.
Sub Endeavor actually isnt that bad, it lets it break past bulky walls like Tangela and Avalugg that normally it couldnt do and with Tspikes up it can get a guarenteed KO on them. This is important if you are running a similar pokemon next to it like Stoutland or Bouffoulant, as then they are able to sweep much easier now that the opponents main Counter is out of the way. And even if the opponent doesnt have something as countery as the afore mentioned if at the end of its life tauros can cripple something before dying. Requires a different type of play style which is why you might not of done well with it.

Sub Endeavor actually isnt that bad, it lets it break past bulky walls like Tangela and Avalugg that normally it couldnt do and with Tspikes up it can get a guarenteed KO on them. This is important if you are running a similar pokemon next to it like Stoutland or Bouffoulant, as then they are able to sweep much easier now that the opponents main Counter is out of the way. And even if the opponent doesnt have something as countery as the afore mentioned if at the end of its life tauros can cripple something before dying. Requires a different type of play style which is why you might not of done well with it.
still, i'd better put it in OO. It can't do much to Tangela anyway, as it can easily recover, except if Tauros is running Fblast/ Ice Beam.

What. Sub endeavor is bad just run fblast, literally it breaks them ez w/ 0 investment. There's no need for a useless set to be posted.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Are you still working on this Magnemite ? It's been over a week now. I know you said you were going to be busy for a few days so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

sorry for taking so long with this, school is mean :(

anyway are there any optimized spreads for the sub endeavor set? I'm sure there's a certain HP stat that works best but I don't have enough experience with sets such as this to know what it is.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Add that it is like rly rly broken

Wallbreaker
########
Usage Tips
========
Say the targets of zen headbutt and fire blast on switch to be clear
Add when to use it, ie early/mid wallbreaker or late game clearer (damn this is broken)

Team Options
========
Add Ghosts and Darks to get rid of its 3 counters (solrock/missy/clops - lol broken)

Choice Scarf
########
I personally think adamant is better as tauros really needs power, however jolly lets it beat things like +2 baracle. Ask other QC for order

Moves
========
I feel pursuit could be mentioned in at least moves, firstly beats haunter, but also for weakened pokes in general as it forces out a lot

Set Details
========
I imagine you will expand on it and say benefits of jolly and adamant when you write it up

Team Options
========
It sounds like you talking about stoutland outside of sand. Give examples of what beats the specific pokemon (you probably will do this in the write up so w/e)

Other Options
########
Sub work up

Checks & Counters
########
Faster pokes/scarfer should get a mention (sneasel does a ton with knock off, scarfraichu fucks it over w/ focus blast)

Looks goo Magnemite QC 1/3

done

also i forgot to say earlier that i removed sub endeavor because it's just a worse life orb tauros and it doesn't even beat any of tauros's counters since most of them are immune to endeavor.

edit: strong 1300th post

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb:
- tbolt is pretty worthless imo, all you hit is Pelipper which is 2hkoed by Rock climb after SR. OO please
- wait why is Bouff a teammate that appreciates wallbreaking o.0
- probably should mention other stuff that can switch into Missy -- Sneasel doesn't want to get smacked by Wisp. Maybe say Ninetales or something

Scarf:
- Retaliate is a really bad move to be locked into, I personally think it should be moved to OO because I'd never consider it over Return or Pursuit. If I'm missing something let me know please
- I think Stone Edge could go into moves. I've used it on Tauros to revenge Scyther; bulky Scyther only takes less than 50 from DE.
- talk about jolly vs adamant
- in team options (or wherever it fits better) mention tauros's advantages over other Scarfers: beats stuff like SubSalac simipour, Barbaracle if jolly, and pretty much every setup sweeper because it's so fast

OO:
- sub + 3 attacks, it was the best set before fire blast was discovered and you dodge status and stuff especially from whoever still runs shadow ball missy
- what is iron head doing here o.0 I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to keep it but it sounds worthless when bull gets iron tail
- move tbolt here
- I'd say move retaliate here but I think it could be cut altogether, up to you

checks and counters:
- the physical walls you mention like Tangela, Avalugg, Gourgeist just need to avoid switching into Fire Blast so make it sound like it's possible to check it please :)
- add faster stuff like galbia mentioned

Magnemite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)