SM UU #TBT

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon

Hello. I haven't posted this in a while but I felt compelled to play UU again after a while of... well, not playing UU. Lol. In a sense, it's a bit like ORAS OU due to the extreme power creep of this generation. I wanted to utilize Jirachi and Mega Altaria with the defensive core of Scizor and Rotom-Wash.

I started with Scizor and Rotom since these two form an amazing defensive Volt-Turn core with each other. Rotom can burn opponents so Scizor can sponge hits easier. It can also deal with Volcanion, Hippowdon, and Mandibuzz better while Scizor can take on Mamoswine, Mega Aerodactly, Mega Altaria, Latias, Mega Latias, and Weavile.

Gliscor seemed like a good fit for the team thanks to being a great pivot on its own. Its goal is to get up Rocks and blanket-check Earthquake users like Mega Aggron and revenge kill 'mons like Alolan Muk and Volcanion.

Like I said, I wanted to use Jirachi while it's still in UU. Z-Happy Hour is a deadly late-game sweeper in UU, tanking hits it usually wouldn't be able to take like Metagross' Earthquakes. Altaria, on the other hand, works as long as Steel-type Pokemon are out of the field.

Last, but not least, is a wall breaker I wanted to deal with physical walls. Specs Nihilego seemed to fit the bill. It can outspeed stuff like Mandibuzz, Volcanion, Alolan Muk, Primarina, and Magneton and KO them back with its wide movepool including HP Fire.

The Team
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Good ol' standard Gliscor. Stealth Rock is mandatory in this metagame and Gliscor is one of the best Rock setters in UU. If not, THE best. This is mostly thanks to Poison Heal, giving it reliable recovery without necessarily resorting to Roost. It also has a great Defense stat with good Attack and Speed. Roost is still nice to have for reliable recovery. Earthquake nails most Pokemon like Klefki, Alolan Muk, Volcanion, Empoleon on the switch, and Aggron. U-turn is good for getting away from Pokemon it can't touch with Earthquake like Latias, Mandibuzz, Swampet, and Scizor. The Speed investment is there so Gliscor can revenge kill weakened Base 90 Speed Pokemon like Roserade or Nidoking.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Poor Rotom. Once the best defensive Pokemon in OU, now relegated to UU. Here, it can shine much better thanks to Zygard 10% not really being that relevant in this metagame. Rotom also makes a good pivot for the team. This can actually get a surprise advantage on typical leads like Hippowdon, Mega Aggron, and Mega Steelix. Will-o-Wisp burns Stealth Rock leads like Mega Aerodactyl. Pain Split gives it semi-reliable recovery against Pokemon it can take a hit from such as Hydreigon and Latias from full health. Hydro Pump is a great STAB and still makes a powerful hit even without offensive investment. Volt Switch is there for pivoting.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Scizor is looking to be THE best Pokemon in UU right now, especially with all the new drops. This is a typical defensive build. Roost heals when low and Defog clears the field of entry hazards since this team doesn't appreciate Spikes. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best STAB, cleaning up threats like Mamoswine, Mega Aerodactyl, Terrakion, Togekiss, and Weavile. U-turn gets Scizor away from Volcanion, Darmanitan, and Infernape on the switch and also helps with Latias and Celebi. Swords Dance is an opion for this set for more powerful Bullet Punches and U-turns.

Nihilego @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Nihilego was an interesting drop. Like Xurkitree and Buzzwole before it, Nihilego has the Beast Boost ability to gain a nice stat boost after KOing an enemy Pokemon. It's meant to be a physical wall breaker, getting the KO's on Pokemon like non-Scarfed Magneton, Primarina, Mandibuzz, and Blastoise. Keep in mind that ONLY if you're a master of prediction, you can KO Mega Pidgeot, Scizor, and Sharpedo on the switch. Only bring this in on something you KNOW you can KO. Its Special Defense does help it a bit on getting KOs on Mega Sceptile, Sylveon, Hydreigon, Rotom-Wash, and others. It's also worth noting that Nihilego can live a Bullet Punch from Scizor and can 1HKO back with Hidden Power Fire.

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 12 Def/ 8 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Energy Ball
- Fire Punch

Jirachi is an amazing late game sweeper once its usual checks are weakened and you know you can win with it. Z-Happy Hour raises all of its stats by one stage so it becomes a Banded and a Scarf user with a Cosmic Power boost all in one. Iron Head is STAB for Togekiss, Primarina, Mega Gardevoir, Latias, Weavile, Mamoswine, and Terrakion. Energy Ball is primarily for Swampet and the rare Quagsire. Fire Punch nails Scizor, Amoonguss, Heracross, and Forretress.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

This is a backup win-con once Scizor and other Steel types are gone. Dragon Dance to get your boosts. As a special note, 2 Dragon Dances outspeed the whole boosted tier. Double-Edge backed by Pixelate is its strongest STAB, nailing Haxorus, Hydreigon, and Latias. Earthquake is there for things like Entei, Darmanitan, Tentacruel, and Empoleon that it can't touch with Double-Edge. Roost to get health back on a switch into something passive or something you know Altaria can stomach a hit from.

Amoonguss is the biggest wall this team runs against. True Jirachi and Nihilego can sort of deal with it, but I need Rocks to win and both need a boost of some kind to secure a 1HKO.

If you let them set up on you, Haxorus, Cobalion, and Mega Sharpedo are pretty big problems for the team. Z move Cobalion and Haxorus are especially troublesome.

Conclusion
While not perfect, this team has served me extremely well on the ladder so far. I'm still fairly new to team building so any suggestions at all are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much and have fun.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Defog
- U-turn

Nihilego @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
EVs: 236 Atk / 12 Def/ 8 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Energy Ball
- Fire Punch

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

Attachments

Last edited:

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think you should make your Rotom physically defensive because Cobalion and Sharpedo are way too threatening to the team. Also I really think Hidden Power Ice should be run over Fire because Power Gem does 1 million to Scizor anw while Careful Gliscor avoids the 2HKO. Furthermore, Altaria is most of the time pretty useless so I think replacing it with Latias would be better.

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
I think you should make your Rotom physically defensive because Cobalion and Sharpedo are way too threatening to the team. Also I really think Hidden Power Ice should be run over Fire because Power Gem does 1 million to Scizor anw while Careful Gliscor avoids the 2HKO. Furthermore, Altaria is most of the time pretty useless so I think replacing it with Latias would be better.
That sounds like a good suggestion. Quick question: would you prefer regular Latias or Mega Latias?

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
I would choose Mega Latias because rn Latias really needs a Z-Move to perform well imo and the bulk provided by Mega-Latias is really nice.

sparrow

kacaw
Hey mate, nice team you have here, volt-turn is really one of the best play styles at the moment and this team is very reflective of the current UU meta. Upon quick observation I've noticed a few EV spreads on your Pokemon that require cleaning up; hopefully giving you a better all around match up versus some keys threats, for example running Speed on Rotom-W to out speed at least Scizor. Next up I'll be outlining a possible team slot change for you, in replacing Nihilego with Choice Scarf Hydreigon; I feel it fits your build better and is a lot more difficult to capitalise on given Dark STAB is easier to spam.

From the top, the Gliscor could be reworked so that you invest only enough speed to out pace relevant Pokemon in the current meta, I really don't think Roserade is too important of a threat for you to be concerned with. In that case, running just enough EVs to hit 300 Speed would be sufficient, this lets you outpace Entei & Rotom-W whilst still beating Nidoking. Further to this, I think running those Defense EVs in Attack would give Gliscor a bit more of an offensive presence, for example EQ vs. Infernape is a guaranteed OHKO, both Nidoking & Entei are closer to being OHKO'd after Rocks, and you ever so slightly boost U-turn damage. In summary, Gliscor: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe | Jolly.

On Rotom-W I really think that Speed is very important. Currently you're slower than some very scary heavy hitters; facing big damage and possible OHKOs before being able to do anything. It's important that Rotom-W is able to out pace Pokemon such as SD Crawdaunt, CB Scizor & Primarina, otherwise you'll be losing Rotom-W before it can really make an impact or get off a burn. In summary, Rotom-W: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe | Calm.

Onto Scizor, looking at your threat list you mentioned M-Sharpedo as being an annoying threat; I've also noticed Weavile is very annoying for you to switch into. It's for this reason I'd like to suggest running more physical bulk on your Scizor, a more physically bulky Scizor can give you a nicer match up versus opposing Dragon Dance M-Altaria too - easily tanking +2 Earthquake. An EV spread of 224 HP / 216 Def / 68 SpD | Impish on Scizor, will greatly increase your physical bulk whilst avoiding a 2HKO from defensive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock the majority of the time.

The last spread change I have for you is on Jirachi, running a tad more SpA will make Energy Ball go the extra mile. For example, you'll be able to OHKO Quagsire 100% of the time through Unaware, guarantee a 2HKO on Alomomola, and won't be required to chip Rotom-W for as much damage. An EV spread of 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 | Naive on Jirachi does a nice job of giving Jirachi a bit more a punch when sweeping late game.

Onto team changes, looking at your threat list you mentioned that Sharpedo, Haxorus and Cobalion were all an issue for you. The best fitting solution that I've decided is swapping out Nihilego for Hydreigon. Firstly, Choice Scarf Hydreigon gives your team some much needed Speed control, out pacing +1 Haxorus, and other fast Pokemon such as M-Aerodactyl, M-Beedrill, M-Manectric, M-Sceptile, etc. is really useful to this team. Hydreigon adds to the volt-turn aspect of the team, giving your opponent more of a hard time versus you especially now that you have an immediate fast threat. Next up, I think Hydreigon has better overall defensive synergy with the rest of this team, you gain a decent switch into physical Fire type moves, as well as a semi okay switch in to the monster known as Crawdaunt! In summary I really think Hydreigon fits this team better than Nihilego, it pressures opposing volt-turn teams and helps you better with your weakness'. In terms of lacking another Fairy type switch-in, you have Jirachi and Scizor to cover those, you'll be fine!
Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 216 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Energy Ball
- Fire Punch

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost
Let me know if you have any questions, or if anything needs further explanation/clarification, I am happy to help :] Good luck out there!
~Sparrow

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)