1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

[TCG] Smogon Pokémon TCG Tournament #5?

Discussion in 'Circus Maximus' started by Mekkah, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Is there any interest for this? If so, who wants to play what meta? The interest in old generations seem to be spread too thin so my instinct would be another MD On but I'd like to hear opinions.
  2. Zystral

Zystral めんどくさい、な~
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gimmick metagames imo

like "your deck cannot have any Primes" or "your deck must have only Y type pokemon" or shit like that. I'm bored of SP vs Gyara vs Machamp, tbh.

Alternatively, roulette battles, where everyone adds a .dek file to a pool, and we all pick a random one, meaning everyone should get a deck they've not used before (unless everyone throws in SP which is just suck).
  3. Amelia

Amelia

Secret Santa.
  4. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Don't do another MD On.
  5. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Secret Santa actually seems kinda fun, though I can see the idea of some people just getting totally shafted in it. Maybe a general "this has to be at least somewhat viable" rule, which wouldn't be terrible to enforce. Or possibly just a Secret Santa kind of thing, but with "deck concept" being given rather than an entire deck.
  6. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

BJF BJF BJF BJF BJF
  7. Seven Deadly Sins

is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Also, a No-SP run might be fun, with maybe a couple other dominant decks (machamp, gyarados) banned as well.
  8. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

How bout a what if Lost Word existed tournament? Just play as if x rotated stadium is Lost World where the player can call the win if they have 6 zoned pokemon.
  9. Thoughts

Thoughts

Im down for gimmick decks. mine are too good.
  10. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

One where I win.

I like a tournament where every round is a new era or rotation, like the first round can be up to Fossil, etc. Or maybe make it round robin so everyone gets to play every rotation since often times I join a gimmick tournament with different rules each round but end up losing early and don't get to try all the rule sets.
  11. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I'm hesitant about old eras because the EX tournament was effectively dead and the interest in them seems to be very spread out.
  12. Manafii101

Manafii101

I'm interested, but it's been years since I've played the pkmn tcg and I have no clue what program you guys are using. I've read the Smog articles and I'd love to get involved though!
  13. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

redshark

I like Alaka's idea of a Lost World tournament with using a rotated stadium (Lake Boundary, Moonlight Stadium, Speed Stadium) as a proxy for it. A good addition might be to legalize some other important Lost Zone experiments such as Lucario and Zangoose.

Really need people to post here though, I don't want to set up a tournament only to see it die.
  14. Ace Emerald

Ace Emerald Professional
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Visual Media Head

I have never played competitive tcg, due to lack of interest in my area, but I can pick it up quick. I'm always up for a children's card game!
  15. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

Anyone who feels like trying this stuff out should get on the SynIRC server (#smogon and #dreamworld are located here), and join #TCG for help setting up and practice matches.
  16. Paperfairy

Paperfairy

Late to the party I suppose, but whatever. I'm down for MD-on, since Lost World was released. We just gotta wait for the CoL patch.
  17. Seven Deadly Sins

One last MD-On once Call of Legends gets released, I'd say.
  18. vonFiedler

vonFiedler NOT ULLARS ROLE
    is a Community Contributor

I would do Secret Santa.

But I'd play in general if someone makes me a deck.
  19. Paperfairy

Paperfairy

that could be ages from now, knowing Redshark's update schedule. We can just proxy Lost World, Remover and Documents and I can't think of any else that would be an issue (Lost Mime Jr and/or Lost Pachi, I guess)
  20. Mekkah

Mekkah
    Super Moderator

I don't really want to wait for the Redshark release and I like the idea of using proxies. Obviously it'd be best to use an agreed set of proxies, and to use similar cards so the limited automatisms Redshark has don't get in the way.

I think it's best to use rotated versions of Pokémon for the CoL Pokémon should you feel like using any (such as Zangoose, Lucario, and Mr. Mime).

Lost World can be proxied by Speed Stadium.

Research Documents can be proxied by Pokedex (base set).

Lost Remover can be proxied by Energy Removal.
  21. Paperfairy

Paperfairy

i'm down, let do this shit
  22. Seven Deadly Sins

A nice thing would be to have a list of the cards that are being proxied for here, preferably with either a link to the actual card or just a database of card effects on proxied cards so that we have a reference.
  23. Paperfairy

Paperfairy

the following list are the only _new_ cards in Lost Link, and therefore, have a need to be proxied. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Call_of_Legends)

For the Pokemon, just use any card of the same specie that is older than MD. Sound good?

2.Deoxys
    3.Dialga
    6.Groudon
    9.Ho-oh
    12.Kyogre
    14.Lucario
    15.Lugia
    18.Pachirisu
    19.Palkia
    20.Rayquaza
    29.Mr.Mime
    33.Snorlax
    34.Tangrowth
    39.Zangoose
    47.Mime Jr.
    50.Riolu
    51.Seviper
    54.Clefairy
    55.Cyndaquil
    63.Mareep
    66.Phanpy
    69.Relicanth
    72.Tangela
    73.Teddiursa
    74.Totodile
    80.Lost Remover - Energy Removal
    81.Lost World - Speed Stadium
    84.Research Record - Pokedex (base)
    SL3. Entei
    SL9. Raikou
    SL11.Suicune
  24. tape-type

tape-type

Is this thread supposed to be called Pokemon TCG or any TCG is fine?

Because Magic is cool.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)