TCG Unlimited 150 format (& tournament news!)

I'm a long time lurker on these forums (Long time! 0_0)
I figured the people of Smogon, with their fan-made tier lists and rules might appreciate a project that attempts something similar with the TCG.
The Unlimited 150 format is a ruleset for the Pokemon TCG that was created and constantly tested by fans of the game. Almost any card, new or old is legal. It only has a relatively short ban-list, but with some extra compatibility rules, it aims to make a fun, varied and balanced meta.

Here's some of the basics:
* Almost any card, from any set is legal.
* This format uses a 100 card singleton deck. It can only contain 1 copy of any card, excluding Basic Energy cards which are unlimited. The usual restriction of a maximum of 4 for a type of Pokémon applies, e.g. your deck can contain 4 Bulbasaur but they must be different cards.
* Pokémon ex still yield 2 prizes when knocked out. Fully evolved cards printed in sets as Pokémon Prime and holo rares since Black & White also count as Pokémon ex (in every way, even the name changes).
* Basic Pokémon with 150 HP or more are banned.

Anyone who has played much TCG can tell how this affects the game. The 100 card singleton rule uses the same trick as the popular Magic: the Gathering variant, Commander to limit the power of the insta-win combo decks that rule regular Unlimited.
The rule that erratas Primes and B&W holos into exs instantly fixes years of incredible power-creep! Some undeserving cards fall victim to this rule, but as a whole it allows many old cards that couldn't normally compete with the new cards to be played.
The final point deals with the biggest problem with the game today, big Basic Pokemon EX. When a Basic has more HP than any evolved Pokemon it really doesn't encourage the use of one of the game's defining mechanics, evolution. In U150 all evolution stages are viable and fill vital roles as are various deck styles from the Type used (Grass, Dark etc.) to different strategies (Aggro, Lock Down, Lost World, Combo etc.).

If you're interested have a look at some of these links:
[removed]

Last edited:
Hate to be the one to tell you this, but I think you're trying to sell more than you have in store when you say things like The Unlimited 150 format is a ruleset for the Pokemon TCG that was created and constantly tested by fans of the game. Your forum has 9 members, 4 topics and 14 posts. The website is a deserted place in general.

You can discuss your theoretical thingy if you want, but I'm gonna go ahead and remove the links to your personal site because advertising. I doubt there will be many people interested anyway: there's not even enough people on Smogon to fuel a regular TCG forum, let alone a custom ruleset that 95% of the players have not even heard of.

The website exists just so there is one... the main page used has always been the Facebook one.
I figured people on Smogon might be more accepting seeing as they're used to fan-made rule sets and being bombarded by the "official or nothing" crowd, something that's prevalent in the TCG too.

Of course people won't hear about it though if people are going to be so dismissive, though it is gradually picking up pace in the UK. Magic the Gathering has a great fan format community I only wish the same could be said for Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)