Teaching an old dog new trick(rooms) (peaked at #1)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
INTRODUCTION

Hey fellow RU players! its molk, with another RMT to share with you, this is the team that i used to ladder last round and to get me on council, i decided that it was still a good team in this new round and i would share it with you all This team is different from other teams though.......

This team is based on the move trick room, while often seen as a gimmick, trick room can be a powerful force in the right hands, especially in the hyper offensive RU metagame we had during the cresselia stage. with Ru having things like Slowking and Aggron, it is easy to rip through teams during the 4 turn speed boost. i peaked at #1 on the ladder with 1470 points thanks to this team, and i hope you enjoy reading this RMT =D

A FIRST LOOK AT THE TEAM

As with all other trick room teams, this team is designed to set up trick room, and cause as much destruction as possible, Smeargle is a very special member of this team, stay tuned to figure out why!. Slowking and Cofagrigus can set up trick room and sweep multiple times per match, cofagrigus also 6-0es most HO teams with its massive defenses, perfect coverage, and nasty plot. Mesprit is amazing late game, tearing apart the remaining pokemon, and even healing up another sweeper for a final sweep, aggron and druddigon are simple, they kill stuff, not much else to say =/.

AN IN DEPTH LOOK AT THE TEAM

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs:
Hardy Nature
- Trick Room
- Spore
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage

Smeargle: is my suicide trick room lead, and is capable of taking down multiple pokemon a match with its strength. with a focus sash equipped, smeargle is nearly guarenteed to set up trick room bar taunt, and then proceed to wreck the opponent's team with extremely fast spores and endeavors, finishing off weakened pokemon with dragon rage, which always does a total of 40 damage, picking off pokemon even after leftovers, unlike extremespeed. once smeargle goes down, it probably took out several pokemon with it, with 1-2 trick room turns remaining. allowing my trick room sweepers a free switch in. overall one of the best sets ive used =D.

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

Slowking: is one of my two bulky trick room setters, with a combination of typing, regenerator, and good offenses and defenses, slowking is a monster to face in trick room. Surf, even when holding leftovers is strong enough to 1/2 hko most frailer mons. Fire blast allows slowking to get the jump on sceptile and rotom-c in trick room, while psyshock deals with hitmonchan, who can a nuiance with its STAB priority mach punch. i decided not to put nasty plot on slowking because i felt all the coverage moves were needed for slowking. Without slowking, this team wouldnt be nearly as effective. I used psyshock over psychic so that slowking could easily dispose of cryogonal. who would wall a slowking with just psychic. i am thiknigh about adding hidden power grass over psyshock to hit opposing slowking, is that a good idea?

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Cofagrigus: is my other bulky trick room setter and my buffer for fighting and Normal attacks. Cofagrigus is truely scary under trick room, as with access to a boosting move like nasty plot as well as perfect neutral coverage and insane bulk, for example, entei's flare blitz does only about 70% to Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus can easily 6-0 hyper offensive teams by breaking through their somewhat frail defenses easily, while they cannot KO cofagrigus in time. cofagrigus also doubles as an oh shit button to ability reliant pokemon such as durant and hitmonlee, who beat the crap out of this team normally. overall an excellent set, and i expect more people to use it in the future.

Aggron (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Heavy Slam

Aggron: is my first trick room sweeper, and check to birds. the sheer power of aggron's head smash backed up by a choice band OHKOES slowking and 2HKOES tangrowth, the best physical wall in the tier, Aqua tail, ice punch, and earthquake provide excellent coverage, and hit steelix, claydol, and rhydon respectively. Aggron is also my answer to honchkrow, who with a combiation of priority in sucker punch, and brave birds that hit like a nuke, would decimate most trick room teams, swellow also falls to this incredible beast. Aggron is possibly the best wallbreaker in the tier, and im glad that i chose him for my team.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

Mesprit: is my late game trick room sweeper and secret weapon, late game, mesprit can come in and destroy the remains of the opponents team, but what makes mesprit extremely important to this team, is healing wish which provides me a "double dragon" in one pokemon. By sacrificing mesprit i can send in one of my weakened trick room sweepers in, good as new! ready to cut through the rest of the opponent's team in one fell swoop. not much else to say, i usually just trick room and sacrifice it to bring in aggron or.....

Druddigon (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw

Druddigon: is my second trick room sweeper, partner for mesprit, priority abuser, and general wallbreaker midgame. almost nothing can take druddigon's Outrage spam, even fewer can take more than one in a row, with the slightly smaller amount of steels, and healing wish from mesprit. druddigon has no issues cleaning through teams after breaking down walls early game, especiallly after smeargle dies, druddigon is also a check to lilligant, who plays serious games with this team with a combinatikon of sleep powder and powerful moves, thankfully druddigon has resists to fire, grass, water, and ELECTRIC type moves, electric type moves would be a major issue if druddigon wasnt here to tank them and retalliate with powerful outrages. Sucker Punch is an important move for druddigon outside of trick room, allowking it to go first and revenge kill threats as long ast the opponent attacks. Druddigon's resistances, in combination with its power, makes it an incredible trick room sweeper and general wallbreaker

CONCLUSION

Trick room is a very viable playstyle in the current RU metagame, and is a very antimetagame playstyle, try it out people, you wont be disappointed! most trick room teams do very well against hyper offense and balanced teams

heres an importable of my team if you want to try trick room out, feel free to leave feedback

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs:
Hardy Nature
- Trick Room
- Spore
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psychic
- Fire Blast

Cofagrigus (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Aggron (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rock Head
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Heavy Slam

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

Druddigon (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw

Btw, your going to have to manually set the speed ivs to 0 (2 for cofagrigus), and set smeargle's level to 1

Hey great team there, I can't really add much.

The only thing I can see is a slight weakness to Ferroseed. Only Slowking's fire blast takes it out with ease. Meanwhile, it can leech seed you or lay down spikes or whatever. Perhaps adding in Bulk Up Hariyama (another slow chappy) would help solve this

Druddigons Superpower doesn't OHKO Ferroseed and neither does Cofagrigus's HP Fighting at +2 (Physically defensive) but Ferroseed really can't do anything back, Perhaps Superpower over Aqua Tail on Aggron? It has good coverage with Head smash and inflicts serious damage on Ferroseed.

and also, Feargle 9.9

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lol, ill consider superpower, ferroseed isnt really a big threat, as i can simply not use trick room if i see it in the team preview

also, i have a variation of this team using a trickscarf uxie with trick room with speed investment for a good pivot and setter

druddigon is a monster ,i use it even in UU and it just wreck face .

anyway nice team , i seriously would suggest adding some hazards to the team , trick room reaaaly puts pressure on the opponent and makes them switch a lot in their attempt to predict your move and waste the turns , just perfect to abuse with rocks or spikes , maybe add rocks on mesprit or something .

Sharpedo is a huge threat for this team once TR ends , it can sweep you easily , druddigon is like the only thing that can take a hit from him , but i can't see how you can fix this without loosing offensive pressure .

good luck with the team .

Molk

Godlike Usmash
that is true, thankfully druddigon can tank an ice beam and strike back with an outrage

minor thing, but I really wouldn't put HP Grass on Slowking. It will deal diddly-squat to opposing Slowking, and you need the moves you currently have

Molk

Godlike Usmash
after some laddering with uxie, i peaked at #3 with 1345 points, ill edit the RMT to have uxie over smeargle eventually and add a threatlist

edit: (14:06:34) *** Your rank in Standard RU is 2/1821 [1410 points / 77 battles]!

NOSEPATH DOMINATES ALL

so this is the team that took druddigon and slowking from nu. all hating aside, this is a really solid team. ok, maybe not all hate aside. WHY?!?!?!?! this is worse than when donphan was taken from uu. i kid, but seriously, good team.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
just posting here to say

(16:54:52) *** Your rank in Standard RU is 1/1840 [1421 points / 78 battles]!

yes! another team at #1!

I've used TR in NU when it first came out and one thing I noticed is your choice of Agron over say Rampardos (when it has more attack) or Druddigon over say Ursaring. Guts boosted Brave Ursaring hits waaaaaay harder than CB Druddigon and his STAB doesn't lock you in, and you can still switch attacks with perfect coverage (Facade, Shadow Claw/Crunch, EQ/Hammer Arm, Swords Dance/Fire Punch)

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is an excellent team but like most anti metagame teams it's kinda weak to its own kind (like Dragon-types lol). This teams biggest threat is possibly an opposing Trick Room team especially one with a TR + NP Cofagrigus will be a pain in the ass to face and the only way you have of dealing with it is to sack a mon and revenge with Cofagrigus which is kinda an iffy strategy since Cofag can just switch out to stuff like Aggron and you have to engage in mind games, if you mispredict and outrage you lose Druddigon and Cofag becomes even more of a threat. I cant really find a way to fix this without destroying your synergy but I'd just advise you to play Druddigon more conservatively especially dont outrage if you see a steel on your opponents team till you manage to get rid of it.

EDIT:(15:35) pandemonium: but really lol most anti metagame stuff are weak to themselves >.>
(15:35) Ban Cofag.: im so glad that people stole this team
(15:35) Ban Cofag.: i got free points
(15:35) Ban Cofag.: cause they forget to edit the speed ivs
(15:35) Ban Cofag.: ._.

Congratz on #1 Molk!

I've used TR in NU when it first came out and one thing I noticed is your choice of Agron over say Rampardos (when it has more attack) or Druddigon over say Ursaring. Guts boosted Brave Ursaring hits waaaaaay harder than CB Druddigon and his STAB doesn't lock you in, and you can still switch attacks with perfect coverage (Facade, Shadow Claw/Crunch, EQ/Hammer Arm, Swords Dance/Fire Punch)
This guy is talking the sense.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
bumping this, as a few people on the ladder have used my team with TR uxie> smeargle, btw im going to edit in uxie as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)